• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Jeels

Probably preferable without him, actually. You probably should be leveled and geared to the hilt for at least those final 10 trials. In the mid-game, I had Larsa with me for AGES, and while his levels easily kept pace, he was still getting one-shotted or two-shotted quite a bit by the time he was removed from my party. Kept on draining my resources by proccing a team-wide Cura or Curaga every time he got hit... which was all the time. I only just got Reddas and am not ready for the high trials, but I can't imagine he'll be able to support a post-game team at all.

Idk why the damned strategy guide recommends keeping him around for beating trial mode. Tbh other than the fact that he has arise he's been a pain to keep on so far. And even though hes maintaining level parity he cant maintain gear parity.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Idk why the damned strategy guide recommends keeping him around for beating trial mode. Tbh other than the fact that he has arise he's been a pain to keep on so far. And even though hes maintaining level parity he cant maintain gear parity.

I'm not doing Trials yet, so maybe he comes to his out at some point there. I'm highly skeptical however, considering his survivability in the higher tiers of the Great Crystal, which I'm tackling now. Arise is nice, but other than that, my main team goes down once to Reddas' every four or five deaths. So... yeah.

Maybe he's worth keeping around in Trials as a free Arise bot. Disable all of his attack gambits and just try to keep him away from the action, blasting off Arises whenever one of the key team goes down? Not sure how viable that is, but perhaps it's worth a shot.

I'm kinda stuck. I wanted to do the Desert Patient sidequest. I'm at the point in the story where I'm headed to Archades, decided to do some hunts. Grabbed the hunt that's in Barheim Passage but I can't get back in there. In South Bank Village Dantro's wife and son say he's done across the water. I go to North Bank Village and the place is empty. I don't recall ever giving Dantro's wife the Cactus Flower as it's still in my inventory. Now I can't give it to her to trigger the sidequest as all she says is ""There is trouble in the north..." over and over and over

Havok1313

I'm kinda stuck. I wanted to do the Desert Patient sidequest. I'm at the point in the story where I'm headed to Archades, decided to do some hunts. Grabbed the hunt that's in Barheim Passage but I can't get back in there. In South Bank Village Dantro's wife and son say he's done across the water. I go to North Bank Village and the place is empty. I don't recall ever giving Dantro's wife the Cactus Flower as it's still in my inventory. Now I can't give it to her to trigger the sidequest as all she says is ""There is trouble in the north..." over and over and over

Go back and talk to Dantro again, he has to ask you to give her the flower first, or it won't trigger when you talk to her.

PyratRum7

Neo Member
On my way to the Garif Village after getting the Dawn Shard
and decided to take on the Gil Snapper since it was on the way. I was definitely under leveled but with silence, immobilize, a bunch of hi-potions, and a shit ton of luck I took him down at level 22 (the quickest I've ever done it). Took me like 2 hours though lol.

Ahh thanks a lot. For some reason I could have swore I talked to him after the hunt as I usually talk to all NPCs multiple times.

I had a similar issue, but a bit different. My solution was to cross the river on the ferry (talk to the kid on the pier) because Dantro's wife only lets you continue the quest when she stands in front of her house, not when she's in the water near the ferry. I read faqs and went back to Dantro several times but never talked to the kid, so I thought something was broken. Wasted an hour or so.

I'm curious about how the story will work out in your case, as you still have the flower.

I had a similar issue, but a bit different. My solution was to cross the river on the ferry (talk to the kid on the pier) because Dantro's wife only lets you continue the quest when she stands in front of her house, not when she's in the water near the ferry. I read faqs and went back to Dantro several times but never talked to the kid, so I thought something was broken. Wasted an hour or so.
.........I won't tell you how much time I've wasted haha

Hehe, the 4x speedup saved a lot of time :)

I'm a bit curious about how the story works out in your case, you said you still had the cactus flower? Wonder what the difference will be in how it's handled.
I guess it's just a matter of triggering and scripting, because I gave her the flower, her response was someone just came ashore, I go to the waterfront and there's nothing, had to leave and re-enter the One to trigger the actual new NPCs arriving.

Havok1313

Ahh thanks a lot. For some reason I could have swore I talked to him after the hunt as I usually talk to all NPCs multiple times.

If you did the hunt early on (probably) I don't think you can trigger the next thing till much later. So that's probably what it was. I just did it yesterday and was stuck for a bit too..

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If you did the hunt early on (probably) I don't think you can trigger the next thing till much later. So that's probably what it was. I just did it yesterday and was stuck for a bit too..

I don't think you can trigger the next bit until you get a hunt that requires going back into Barheim Passage.

I think I'm good actually, after a few events she's now asking me for those clam things so I should be good to go.

Korezo

Is the excalibur and Hastega spell on the top of of the crystal? Any picture guide on navigating this place, don't know how I did this in the ps2 days when i was yong. I feel like just quiting the game now.

Is the excalibur and Hastega spell on the top of of the crystal? Any picture guide on navigating this place, don't know how I did this in the ps2 days when i was yong. I feel like just quiting the game now.

There's a map on gamefaqs but I recommend just using a YouTube guide for that area.

Ludens

Banned
So, I just killed Yiazmat but no Omega hunt popped out, Montblanc says I did all the hunts. How can I unlock that hunt?

Excalibur is in the same room you fight Ultima, while Hastega is in another road, on the right of Great Crystal. Be aware, you need to grab Shellga too.

Jolkien

So, I just killed Yiazmat but no Omega hunt popped out, Montblanc says I did all the hunts. How can I unlock that hunt?

Excalibur is in the same room you fight Ultima, while Hastega is in another road, on the right of Great Crystal. Be aware, you need to grab Shellga too.

There's no hunt involving Omega.

Mendrox

If you are doing speedrun of Trials (doable in 18 minutes) then he is required, but I recommend doing it without him because it's way easier the normal way.

Oh lord. Omega is not a hunt. You have to start the Yiazmat hunt and then you are able to fight Omega on the east of the Great Crystal. If you did the shortcut to that area it's really not that bad getting there... Just open V2, C2, L1 and then go back to Aquarius and activate T1, activate the Taurus and then get back through L1 and C2 and then activate T1 (for hastega) and T2 (way to Omega). Somehow like this...there are some good maps online and it's not as bad as I thought when I had the shortcut to Ultima.

Bluenoser

Anyone taken on New Game minus yet? I'm wrapping up my playthough now (just about to go to final dungeon or do high level marks)

Here are some tips and thoughts from my experience.

- Machinist will be your primary damage dealer due to guns ignoring defence, and not factoring stats in damage calculation. But how powerful can they be? You'd be surprised. With berserk gloves (found in very north zone of estersands, accessible after Raithwall) they attack fast, and hard. With full HP and focus augment, they get 1.5x damage multiplier, and with critical health and adrenaline augment, they get 2x damage multiplier. Against trash mobs in Pharos, some shots if weaknesses were hit were doing over 40k damage on a critical hit. normal shots were doing 15k+ with Mithuna gun.
TLDR; Machinist is strong as fuck... use one.

- It's not critical, but highly advantageous to ensure all characters are able to access lots of HP lores. Job combos will likely be much different here than in your normal playthrough due to survivability.

- Mages are still fairly powerful, so having a couple of offensive mages isn't a bad idea, especially against bosses that are resistant to gun damage. Using elemental staves gives 1.5 damage boost, so collect them all and use them.

- Potion/Remedy/Phoenix/Ether lores are really important in this run. For what it's worth, Black Mage/Archer combo gets access to all lores at max level, making them one of the most versatile characters - use a Pheasant Netsuke and all items restore for 1.5x.

- You can make the Arcturus gun just before Raithwall if you know what to collect. It's silly powerful and will make your gunner badass up until late game. You can't make Mithuna until Reddas joins, so after Giruvegan. You may want to skip making Arcturus this early if you want more of a challenge.

- Here are my job combos that I used before I knew what I was doing, and how I would change them:

-Machinist/Knight - this is the absolute best combo for your gun user. Using knight gives access to adrenaline and infuse - infuse drains your MP and gives 10x that amount to your HP. Using Basch (I used Balthier, which I would change if I did it again) who has 34MP, he will get 340HP using infuse, so once his max HP reaches 1700, using infuse will instantly put him in critical status, to take advantage of adrenaline. Have a gambit set up to use infuse, which will not activate under berserk, so simply remove, and re-equip the berserk glove any time you need to put the gunner in critical. This of course will make you rely on "self HP" HP restore gambits since you don't want AOE healing.

- Shikari/Red Mage - This will be your main tank- I used Ashe. Since they can equip Main Gauche (50 evade) and shields, it makes sense, plus the wide range of spells - especially green magic, means they can self buff with decoy, reverse, etc. Damage late game will be non-existant, but that's not what they are there for. You want this character to keep the mobs off your damage dealers. They also get 3x potion lores, so they can heal 1200+ hi potion and 4200+ x-potion with Pheasant Netsuke.

- Shikari/White mage - I used 2 tanks since I figured there would be times when my main tank would die, and it would be easier to swap to a new one rather than revive and re-buff. I gave this to Vaan, and in hindsight, I didn't need it, and do not recommend. Instead, I would use Vaan as my main tank, but give him Shikari/Red Mage so I always have a stealer on the front lines.

- Monk/Black Mage - Penello was my main offensive mage, and was mostly useful, but monk doesn't get all the lores that archer does, so I relied more on magic at this point.

- Archer/Black Mage - Sounds like a strange combo, but I highly recommend it for the versatility. I used Fran here, and it was a fluke, as I wished I hadn't taken an archer at all, but then ended up loving it due to the lores. However, once monk got access to bravery, I stopped using fran and mostly used Penello to give brave to my gunner.

- Bushi/Time Battlemage - Gave this to Basch because I gave him bushi initially then realized I had screwed up. I pretty much didn't use him at all which is a shame. There was just no room with his lack of offense. Doing it again, he would be primary machinist. Knowing what I know now, I would have given him Knight as his second job, so he could wield Karkata and confuse enemies. Although truthfully I'm not even sure I would have used that as my group was pretty powerful already.

It's been a fun challenge, if a little easy. A guide I referenced was based on just the IZJS, and of course much of the strategy they suggested was unnecessary, and I felt too overpowered, even at level 1. A real challenge would be no guns... not sure if it would be possible- maybe with focus on magic, and use quickenings when magic is not available.

Oh, actually: which is better to grab? Iga or Koga? I'm inclined to go Koga due to the higher value but I have no idea whether Earth or Water would be more useful in the long run, nevermind if some other weapon supplements that elemental better.

Never used either of those. Choose based on your other job, imo.

I don't even know where to find those Ninja Swords. I just unlocked the ones I found as I found them.

They're found at the same place
Lhusu mines second part

I guess it's just a matter of triggering and scripting, because I gave her the flower, her response was someone just came ashore, I go to the waterfront and there's nothing, had to leave and re-enter the One to trigger the actual new NPCs arriving.

Oh, so basically the crossing quest thing happens only after you give her the flower. Thanks!

OrionX

Trial mode was mostly a breeze until I hit a brick wall at stage 86. ;_;

Guess I'll have to actually pick up the controller now and use strategy lol.

Rookhelm

have a question about Gambits.

I've got Basch set up as a sort of tank (sword and shield).

I've got Fran set up to cast Decoy, Shell, and Protect on him to raise his defense.

Is there a way to set up these gambits so that it's cast on him in combat only? I don't need her constantly casting Decoy, Shell, and Protect when I'm just running around the map. I've been turning them off when I don't need them, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it.

I remain really bummed that the only 'new game plus' options this game has don't actually carry any of your progress over. I'd be *way* happier carrying over all my rare equipment and all my spells/technicks and getting level/license progress reset. Especially for irrecovable stuff like the Hunt Club and job choices it'd be nice to be able to play through the game several times with all of my hard-earned rare drops and stuff intact.

jorgeton

have a question about Gambits.

I've got Basch set up as a sort of tank (sword and shield).

I've got Fran set up to cast Decoy, Shell, and Protect on him to raise his defense.

Is there a way to set up these gambits so that it's cast on him in combat only? I don't need her constantly casting Decoy, Shell, and Protect when I'm just running around the map. I've been turning them off when I don't need them, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it.

I think there are gambits that look like "If enemy target = ally" you can try that and having Fran cast the buffs if any enemies are targeting Basch?

Is there any reason I should care about magick potency for my Vaan (Shikari/Foebreaker)? He knows no magic lol

Got to Nabreus last night. I imagine I'll keep Reddas around long enough to get through the Great Crystal later (I plan on being level 65+ for that so I can grab everything, is that high enough?)

Also, where do the Foebreaker technicks come up anyways? Wither and all that...been keeping my eye open for em since they make hunts easier.

Is there any reason I should care about magick potency for my Vaan (Shikari/Foebreaker)? He knows no magic lol

Got to Nabreus last night. I imagine I'll keep Reddas around long enough to get through the Great Crystal later (I plan on being level 65+ for that so I can grab everything, is that high enough?)

Also, where do the Foebreaker technicks come up anyways? Wither and all that...been keeping my eye open for em since they make hunts easier.
Not really but he can get protectga etc which you might as well get him since he won't use any MP normally.

Cess007

I intentionally step on all traps I encounter. It's fun!

I hated that some traps seems to kill one member of my party at random at times. Even with full HP

Is there any reason I should care about magick potency for my Vaan (Shikari/Foebreaker)? He knows no magic lol.

I didn't unlock any magick potency slot for Vaan (had the same combinatino) in all the game. Had no reason to care about them lol

Not really but he can get protectga etc which you might as well get him since he won't use any MP normally.

Noted.

Waiting till I've beat all espers to start doling em out. Need someone else to learn some white and/or time magicks. Makes throwing up buffs easier, though I suppose a lot of that is not having the -ga versions of protect, shell, and haste yet.

Need Float already too lol

Shahed

Noted.

Waiting till I've beat all espers to start doling em out. Need someone else to learn some white and/or time magicks. Makes throwing up buffs easier, though I suppose a lot of that is not having the -ga versions of protect, shell, and haste yet.

I wouldn't do this. Once you have an Esper, you also have access to the double jobs, meaning if you checkboth license boards on each character, you'll know exactly what they unlock. Waiting till you get Zodiark or Ultima will just mean you'll have made things unnecessarily awkward for 90% of try he game, and when you finally unlock all the useful perks and abilities the Espers unlock,there's be little to use them on.

For example Chuchulainn will give your Red Mage Firaga, Blizzaga and Thundaga. Chaos will give your Monk Holy, Protectga, Shellga and Esunaga. Whether you assign those Espers straightaway or wait till you get all 13 of them, nothing will change. You'll just be depriving yourself of those abilities until later when they won't be as useful.

I wouldn't do this. Once you have an Esper, you also have access to the double jobs, meaning if you checkboth license boards on each character, you'll know exactly what they unlock. Waiting till you get Zodiark or Ultima will just mean you'll have made things unnecessarily awkward for 90% of try he game, and when you finally unlock all the useful perks and abilities the Espers unlock,there's be little to use them on.

For example Chuchulainn will give your Red Mage Firaga, Blizzaga and Thundaga. Chaos will give your Monk Holy, Protectga, Shellga and Esunaga. Whether you assign those Espers straightaway or wait till you get all 13 of them, nothing will change. You'll just be depriving yourself of those abilities until later when they won't be as useful.

Yeah. I *do* think it's generally sensible to use Espers for higher-level ability/equipment unlocks, though - FFXII has so much postgame-level content that biasing yourself toward unlocks that'll be helpful for that stuff is probably wise. That doesn't necessarily make all the choices easy, though - like with Hashmal, Cura/Raise vs. Faith/Brave/Confuse/Curaja isn't necessarily a simple decision because having one more person who can resurrect characters is *extremely* useful under all circumstances well through the postgame.

Shahed

Yeah. I *do* think it's generally sensible to use Espers for higher-level ability/equipment unlocks, though - FFXII has so much postgame-level content that biasing yourself toward unlocks that'll be helpful for that stuff is probably wise. That doesn't necessarily make all the choices easy, though - like with Hashmal, Cura/Raise vs. Faith/Brave/Confuse/Curaja isn't necessarily a simple decision because having one more person who can resurrect characters is *extremely* useful under all circumstances well through the postgame.
Yeah some aren't as clear cut. In hindsight I would have gave Addramalech to my KNI/TIM instead of SHI/FOE. The extra Raise would have been useful at times since I was in a position only my WHM could revive.

But while some choices are can be awkward, said choices are the same regardless if you decide straightaway or right at the end of the game. So you may as well get use out of them while you can.
I'll give Famfrit to my WHM/MCH for Vanishga, Warp, Reflectga, Slowga, Graviga and Hastega. Seems like a pretty damn good deal for one esper. Alternatively I could get Arise (plus Dispelga) for my Monk, but that would probably be a waste.
This one was probably the Esper I was most torn about. A second person for Hastega, or another person whi can use Arise.

I gave Balthier Hastega in the end, but I really did want Arise/Dispelga on Penelo

I'll give Famfrit to my WHM/MCH for Vanishga, Warp, Reflectga, Slowga, Graviga and Hastega. Seems like a pretty damn good deal for one esper. Alternatively I could get Arise (plus Dispelga) for my Monk, but that would probably be a waste.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I find myself wishing the story mode in the game was longer. I like that there's areas the story doesn't bring you, but it still feels like a complete waste.

I think using either Hashmal or Famfrit to give your Monk *one* resurrection spell is a really key thing to do, but either of those forces you to give up another job's ability to cast some really fantastic buffs (either Hastega or Faith/Brave).

Top Bottom