• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Dawg

Picked Shikari for Vaan, hope I did right. Been so long since I played the original...

Does it matter which LP options you prioritise?

Kensuke

How important is job selection? Can I get by just choosing whatever or could I really screw myself if I give the wrong person the wrong job?

You can beat the hardest boss with the worst possible job combinations. I would still try to avoid certain combinations with bad synergy like: Machinist/Archer, Machinist/Time Mage, Samurai/White Mage, Knight/White Mage and Foebreaker/Uhlan. Also try to give physical jobs to the guys and mage jobs to the girls (because of stat growth).

I would avoid putting Balthier or Basch as a mage character though. I believe MAG even effects accuracy of buffs, but I could be wrong. Though Machinist/White Mage is recommended for Balthier.

I'm using that combination for my Balthier as well, but he's actually kind of bad at it. He's slow with guns and bad at magic. It's only popular on Balthier because many want him to use him as a gunner for 'canon' reasons.

aravuus

Yup, Demonsbane Sword (59 attack)

I don't think you find that in the Tomb anymore in IZJS/TZA, though. Not sure what's replaced it, maybe you could get another good weapon there.

edit:
Wikia:
In the Zodiac versions,
it now provides 51 attack and can be bought for 5,200 gil at Eruyt Village and Mt Bur-Omisace, found at the Dalmasca Estersand and Paramina Rift, or dropped by Yeti (1%).

Lightning

Banned
Argh this is frustrating. I've got the game but can't play it yet since I've still got to work for the next 2 days before I go on holiday.

aravuus

Ahh fuck, Prima's eGuide code actually does come physically with the book. Goddamn dumb.

Has anyone tried the eGuide? Worth $9.99? I only really care about a good guides for hunts (when/where to get them etc.), rare game and treasure chests, though latter isn't that important thanks to the link Seda posted earlier.

e: fuck it, it's cheap. I'll give someone my extra code when the guide arrives... In like a month. Lol.

Honestly I'm considering just speed running the main game, working through Trial Mode, then doing a thorough Weak Mode playthru.

AndersK

Ahh fuck, Prima's eGuide code actually does come physically with the book. Goddamn dumb.

Has anyone tried the eGuide? Worth $9.99? I only really care about a good guides for hunts (when/where to get them etc.), rare game and treasure chests, though latter isn't that important thanks to the link Seda posted earlier.

Prima has a promotion currently, SAVE25, So I just bought it for 7.50 in lieu of other guides.

It's okay. Needs you to be online so no PDF, but u suppose that's the business model.

The hunt guides are decent. Location, rewards, petitioner and location, small map, and a short paragraph to guide you in the actual fight.

It has all maps with updated chests, and informs me there are a lot of new ones. The walktrough mentions hunts when they are available, mostly.

Rad-

I don't think you find that in the Tomb anymore in IZJS/TZA, though. Not sure what's replaced it, maybe you could get another good weapon there.

edit:
Wikia:
In the Zodiac versions,
it now provides 51 attack and can be bought for 5,200 gil at Eruyt Village and Mt Bur-Omisace, found at the Dalmasca Estersand and Paramina Rift, or dropped by Yeti (1%).

You get scathe mote now instead of that sword.

JJShadow

The 2x Speed option is a godsent. 4x is too much, cannot control Vaan lol

I'm new to the game, never played it before and I don't want to mess up the jobs, so I need help. I though about this set-up, what do you guys think about it?

Vaan: Samurai/Knight
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Ashe: Time Mage/White Mage
Balthier: Machinist/Uhlan? (Have my doubts)
Fran: Archer/Red Mage? (I have no idea about this lol)
Basch: Hunter/Breaker

Is the job order good or should I switch between first and second job for some of the characters? I left almost every mage job as a second jobs since I heard that they are not that good until the second half of the game. Also, I also heard that some animations are faster with certain characters, but since I never played, I need more input about that.

Thanks for this! I was having a hard time deciding my job configuration but I really like this one, so I'll go for it as well

I first picked Samurai for Vaan. I hope it's okay that.

Me too, initial perks look pretty cool

Anoxida

I first picked Samurai for Vaan. I hope it's okay that.

He's the best Samurai in the game from what I gather. I'm making him Samurai/Knight. Synergy is crazy. U get the heavy armor from Knight along with spells and attack power. Katanas do dmg based on both magick and str if yo uwondered why sumai has so many magick power nodes.

JJShadow

Just got Penelo for my party and taking into account she will be my Monk/Black Mage, should I go for Monk or BM as her first job?

Nista

edit:
Wikia:
In the Zodiac versions,

Yeah I did the two Demon walls last night (took me a couple tries with the Aero multibounce method since I wasn't that high level) and all I got was a lousy Mote.

It's great having two jobs now, except now I need to farm even more gil to buy all new weapons!

Can someone tell me where to find the decoy spell? Couldn't find a clear answer anywhere.

I got it from the Bazaar I believe, after doing a couple of early hunt ranks.

I'm going with:

Vaan: Hunter/Breaker
Balthier: Samurai/Monk
Fran: White Mage/Machinist
Ashe: Knight/Time Mage
Penelo: Red Mage/Black Mage
Bash: Archer/Uhlan

things could've been better.

aravuus

Prima has a promotion currently, SAVE25, So I just bought it for 7.50 in lieu of other guides.

It's okay. Needs you to be online so no PDF, but u suppose that's the business model.

The hunt guides are decent. Location, rewards, petitioner and location, small map, and a short paragraph to guide you in the actual fight.

It has all maps with updated chests, and informs me there are a lot of new ones. The walktrough mentions hunts when they are available, mostly.

Yeah, seems very... Okay. Not sure if I'll actually use it. Kinda regretting my hardcover purchase now, but what can you do lol. At least it looks nice on the shelf.

The maps are nice, at least, though it'd be nice if they had marks and rare game marked on them too... Like the ones Seda posted have.

Speaking of chests, going through the areas is going to take me like thrice the time now now that I know which chests might give me something nice. Obviously gotta farm them lol.

Syntsui

Just got Penelo for my party and taking into account she will be my Monk/Black Mage, should I go for Monk or BM as her first job?
BM, it will take some good 10 hours before you can get the second job and magic will make your life much easier.

Nohar

The second job will be unlocked soon enough, so pick whatever you prefer. I'd go with Black Mage personally, if only because there are enemies who have weaknesses to exploit and flying ones who a monk can't hit (also, Garuda at Raithwall is a flying boss).

Ydelnae

They should have replaced the map at the top right corner with the L3 one. The first one is confusing as hell and the new one much clearer, but there is no point having to maps on screen.

Anoxida

Basch and Balthier are (fastest combo speeds) but Vaan is good too.

I think someone did the math and vaan still came out ahead due to his stats being better especially when using the masamune/genji gloves. Im not an expert though and either way once u combo it with knight for example I think vaan shines the most.

I got an email from Best Buy this morning that my Steelbook copy that I already paid for isn't available today and that I have to wait until Friday. I hope it shows up! I could order from Amazon right now and have it by Thursday, but don't trust their shipping.

You can beat the hardest boss with the worst possible job combinations. I would still try to avoid certain combinations with bad synergy like: Machinist/Archer, Machinist/Time Mage, Samurai/White Mage, Knight/White Mage and Foebreaker/Uhlan. Also try to give physical jobs to the guys and mage jobs to the girls (because of stat growth).

I'm using that combination for my Balthier as well, but he's actually kind of bad at it. He's slow with guns and bad at magic. It's only popular on Balthier because many want him to use him as a gunner for 'canon' reasons.

First off, how is Samurai/White Mage bad.

Second, I'd say it's better to give Jobs to characters that don't match their stat growth.

This is because of gear. Heavy Armor increases STR and Mystic Armor increases MAG. By putting Penelo in Black Mage eventually her natural MAG stat will cause any further stat boosts by the Mystic Armor she equips to be wasted, on the other hand sticking her in Ulhan means that her STR issues are more then covered by the Heavy Armor stat boosts and her good MAG stat means that Ulhan can use the Black Magic it knows better.

Bluenoser

The second job will be unlocked soon enough, so pick whatever you prefer. I'd go with Black Mage personally, if only because there are enemies who have weaknesses to exploit and flying ones who a monk can't hit (also, Garuda at Raithwall is a flying boss).

Monk (poles) can hit flying now though, so can spears. Another one of the changes they made.

Portalbox

I just can't believe my Amazon delivery is not "out for delivery" yet. I'm really tired of this garbage Amazon Prime service

It's funny, I bought it from Amazon US via Amazon México (I have Prime here in Mexico but it only applies to local items, not imported ones), and I am getting it later today for no extra charge... so I guess I got lucky

eAgy0YN.png

Can't wait to play it!!

aravuus

Oh god, accidentally spawned Megabomb trying to get a good drop from a chest. Hope the game actually auto-saved the last time I changed zones, cause I'm gonna try killing this thing.

If I have the old strategy guide from a decade ago, how much has changed maps and enemy AI wise?

I know the jobs system exists and makes the board drastically different so that doesn't translate.

Never played before but will probably put in 4-5 hours tonight. From what ive looked up the class combinations im considering are

Black Mage + Red Mage
Knight + Time Mage
Hunter + White Mage
Hunter + Breaker
White Mage + Machinist

Not sure on the 6th, what would you guys suggest? Im sure i'll make my decision after playing a bit but im curious on your opinions.

Nista

Gambits at 2x in the Sandsea can lead to some instances of Monty Python style running, as soon as one of the goobers decides to target a lvl 45 elemental.

I'll be back, you glowy mofos.

Slaythe

Ok so got the game :

Looks great

Great remaster job, with welcome tweaks (lightning, additional effects, new shadows, new Vaan abs, permanently high LoD etc...)

Only two things bother me :

- The terrible zoom in 16/9, it's extremely bad, I don't understand how they kept that from the original, really hurts the visibility during some battles.

- Vaan's english voice, it should be illegal. Not only is it cringe, it also has compression on it during some scenes, probably because of its pitch. It's rather jarring compared to the rest, and especially after trying out the japanese version.

But it's awesome overall, just nitpicking.

Kensuke

First off, how is Samurai/White Mage bad.

Second, I'd say it's better to give Jobs to characters that don't match their stat growth.

This is because of gear. Heavy Armor increases STR and Mystic Armor increases MAG. By putting Penelo in Black Mage eventually her natural MAG stat will cause any further stat boosts by the Mystic Armor she equips to be wasted, on the other hand sticking her in Ulhan means that her STR issues are more then covered by the Heavy Armor stat boosts and her good MAG stat means that Ulhan can use the Black Magic it knows better.

Samurai/White mage don't do much for each other. If you're mainly using it as a white mage you're gaining very little from Samurai. If you're using it mainly as a Samurai, you gain no battle lores and no Adrenaline or Focus. That limits its potential as a DPS machine. I didn't say it was bad, just that the synergy is bad.

I understand the gear point, it was more of a general rule of thumb advice that applies for a big part of the game.You won't max MAG for a long time.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yeah but with the stats differences I wonder if that's possible. I know Fran has trash stats.

Even though the stats are different, it's still feasible with pretty much any combo of people in the jobs you want. Just might take a little longer.

Arguably the best jobs for those guys are:
Ashe - Samurai
Penelo - Black Mage
Fran - Breaker

Up to you if you wanna add some healing in there or whatnot. I'd probably give support roles to Fran so Ashe/Penelo can do damage.

Anoxida

Ok so got the game :

Looks great

Great remaster job, with welcome tweaks (lightning, additional effects, new shadows, new Vaan abs, permanently high LoD etc...)

Only two things bother me :

- The terrible zoom in 16/9, it's extremely bad, I don't understand how they kept that from the original, really hurts the visibility during some battles.

- Vaan's english voice, it should be illegal. Not only is it cringe, it also has compression on it during some scenes, probably because of its pitch. It's rather jarring compared to the rest, and especially after trying out the japanese version.

But it's awesome overall, just nitpicking.

Vaan does talk less and less he further in you go tbf

Personally im fine with his VA. Sounds like an actual 17 year old.

Top Bottom