• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

FinalAres

So what would everyone want from a XIII remaster? Would 1080p60 with some Lighting upgrades and auto save be enough? Would some additional content even be possible?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Okay dumb question maybe, but why was IZJS called "international" in the first place? I mean, I know about the history of updated international versions of games obviously, but was it supposed to come to the west initially?

Ravage

SE are real assholes for restricting the superior 'Package Art' preorder theme to the Chinese version in SEAsia. The 'Mob Hunt' theme that came with the English version is a piece of shit in comparison.

God I'm really pissed off right now.

FinalAres

Does 13 need a remaster? We're in the same decade it came out still.
It's a fair point, I don't think it would sell that we'll to be honest. But obviously PS3 remasters are commonplace, and XIII isn't playable on PS4. Plus square need dem filler releases.

Einhandr

I think this is what I'll be going with:

Vaan: Hunter/Breaker
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Balthier: Machinist/White Mage
Fran: Archer/Red Mage
Ashe: Knight/Time Mage
Basch: Samurai/Uhlan

Amazon.ca says it'll be here tomorrow, can't wait :D

Same team I plan on using.

This is what I'll be going with:

Vaan: Shikari & Foebreaker
Penelo: Monk & Black Mage
Balthier: Machinist & Uhlan
Fran: Archer & Red Battlemage
Ashe: Time Battlemage & White Mage
Basch: Knight & Bushi

jimmypython

Okay dumb question maybe, but why was IZJS called "international" in the first place? I mean, I know about the history of updated international versions of games obviously, but was it supposed to come to the west initially?

it means to the Japanese, the release is based on the overseas (aka international) version.

It's a fair point, I don't think it would sell that we'll to be honest. But obviously PS3 remasters are commonplace, and XIII isn't playable on PS4. Plus square need dem filler releases.

I mean, FFXIII on PS4 would almost certainly not be anything worthy of the title "remaster". It'd just be a port with 1080p/4K, and maybe 60 fps. I can't imagine them doing anything more with it.

Bolivar687

Banned

International versions are Japanese re-releases that include the extra content that was later released overseas. Its kinda weird for FFXII since the standout extras were never in any of the other versions.

Ugh, I assumed my in-store pre-order was a steelbook. Turns out it's not. They still have some online but I might not get it until late this week or early next week. What to do.

Bolivar687

Banned
Ugh, I assumed my in-store pre-order was a steelbook. Turns out it's not. They still have some online but I might not get it until late this week or early next week. What to do.

1. Buy the digital version.
2. Play at midnight
3. When the steelbook you order online arrives, call Sony crying hysterically until they give you your money back

OmegaDL50

I believe I finally came up with my optimized setup. It took some careful planning looking over all of the information but I believe for my first gameplay and completionist run, This shall serve my purpose for everything.

This is the most optimal setup while trying to be somewhat lore friendly, but also taking full advantage of a character natural stats for maximization for the post game Hunts and Super Bosses.

Vaan - Shikari / Foebreaker
Espers - Adrammelech, Zalera
Quickening Slots - 2 (Ninja Swords 2), 3 (Ninja Swords 3, +390HP), 4 (Yagyu Darkblade, Orochi N, Battle Lore)

Balthier - Machinist / Whitemage
Espers - Famfrit
Quickening Slots - 1 (+150 HP), 2 (+190HP), 3 (Battle Lore)

Fran - Time Battlemage / Uhlan
Espers - Mateus
Quickening Slots - 1 (Nothing), 2 (+150HP), 3 (Fira, Thundara, Blizzara, Poison)

Basch - Knight / Bushi
Espers - Ultima, Hashmal, Exodus
Quickening Slots - 2 (Battle Lore, +350HP), 3 (Battle Lore, +390HP), 4 (Revive, Excalibur, +435HP)

Ashe - Red Battlemage / Archer
Espers - Zeromus, Cuchulainn, Shemhazai
Quickening Slots - 1 (Vox, Poisona, Cura, Raise), 2 (+230HP), 4 (+435HP)

Penelo - Monk / Blackmage
Espers - Chaos, Zodiark
Quickening Slots - 1 (+70HP), 2 (Bravery, Curaja), 4 (Phoenix Lore x2, +390HP)

You could probably swap Ashe's and Fran's roles, but Ashe has the highest MAG stat in the game which makes her take full advantage of being a Red Mage over Fran despite Fran being the "lore-canon" Viera Red Mage / Archer role.

ObsidianG

This is my plan, going mostly based off my perception of the lore for this playthrough:

Vaan: Hunter/Foebreaker
Penelo: Monk/White Mage
Balthier: Machinist/Time Battlemage
Fran: Archer/Black Mage
Ashe: Either Knight or Uhlan/Red Battlemage
Basch: Either Knight or Uhlan/Bushi

Gonna probably agonize forever over the Ashe/Basch job casting choices.

Would you consider Archer / Red Mage for Fran (I hear ardor + burning bow is one of the most powerful elemental combos) ? That is also lore friendly (Vieras are typically archers, assasins, or red mages in other Ivalice games). That would free up black mage for an bushi / black mage combo (the "dark version" of the Monk / White Mage combo is how I like to see it)

Then you could have Basch as a knight / ulhan (Fits his military training as a weapon expert, although you would be double dipping on heavy armor and HP board from an optimized build). Another alternative could be making Basch a knight / Time battlemage (tank which can buff the party) and balthier as a machinist / ulhan (in FFT war of the lions, balthier could use guns and spears, so he was a dragoon / gunner hybrid). This latter option would be lore friendly, and also take advantage of all 12 jobs!

jimmypython

are the starting stats and LV99 stats the same as the original?

if so, and if i remember correctly, Ashe has very high magic. Therefore, she should be black mage or/and the job that uses ninja sword.

Nista

Right now I'm going for this as my team:

Vaan - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Hunter/Foebreaker
Fran - White Mage/Machinist
Basch - Samurai/Knight (cause he just looks like one!)
Ashe - Red Battlemage/Archer
Penelo - Time Mage/Uhlan (cause she's my least favorite)

I still need to set up some gambits, cause the store throws a TON of options at you once you get back to town.

Gyoru

My tentative party with Ashe being party leader most of the time:

[1st job pick / 2nd job pick]
Vaan - Archer / Red Battlemage
Balthier - Shikari / Foebreaker
Fran - White Battlemage / Time Battlemage
Basch - Bushi / Monk
Ashe - Knight / Bushi
Penelo - Monk / Black Battlemage

Machinist and Uhlan were dropped because they are the weaker jobs. Monks and Knights can replace a WHM late game with the appropriate Espers so BLM/MNK becomes the penultimate omnispellcasting combo. Doubling up on Knights is a bad idea due to the job's Esper reliance so Basch gets /Monk instead.

Would you consider Archer / Red Mage for Fran (I hear ardor + burning bow is one of the most powerful elemental combos) ? That is also lore friendly (Vieras are typically archers, assasins, or red mages in other Ivalice games). That would free up black mage for an bushi / black mage combo (the "dark version" of the Monk / White Mage combo is how I like to see it)

Then you could have Basch as a knight / ulhan (Fits his military training as a weapon expert, although you would be double dipping on heavy armor and HP board from an optimized build). Another alternative could be making Basch a knight / Time battlemage (tank which can buff the party) and balthier as a machinist / ulhan (in FFT war of the lions, balthier could use guns and spears, so he was a dragoon / gunner hybrid). This latter option would be lore friendly, and also take advantage of all 12 jobs!

Yeah, all the changes you're suggesting have been floating around in my head for a while, especially

Fran as Archer/Red Battlemage
Basch as Knight/Time Battlemage
Balthier as Machinist/Uhlan

which would leave Ashe as a Bushi/Black Mage

I'm just kinda iffy about Ashe as a Black Mage since that doesn't quite feel right for her. I could always make Basch the Bushi/Black Mage and Ashe the Knight/Time Mage...

OmegaDL50

are the starting stats and LV99 stats the same as the original?

if so, and if i remember correctly, Ashe has very high magic. Therefore, she should be black mage or/and the job that uses ninja sword.

Ashe has the second slowest swing / combo rate with Katana's. Despite Katana's damage using STR and MAG, Basch still comes ahead because higher STR still affects Samurai Swords damage output, not to mention Basch has the quickest sword swings / combo rates with Katana's in the game.

Rad-

My tentative party with Ashe being party leader most of the time:

[1st job pick / 2nd job pick]
Vaan - Archer / Red Battlemage
Balthier - Shikari / Foebreaker
Fran - White Battlemage / Time Battlemage
Basch - Bushi / Monk
Ashe - Knight / Bushi
Penelo - Monk / Black Battlemage

Machinist and Uhlan were dropped because they are the weaker jobs. Monks and Knights can replace a WHM late game with the appropriate Espers so BLM/MNK becomes the penultimate omnispellcasting combo. Doubling up on Knights is a bad idea due to the job's Esper reliance so Basch gets /Monk instead.

Yeah those are pretty much the strongest combos lol. You are going to breeze through the game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im gonna hold off on this cause it seems like a pretty safe bet this is gonna come to Steam based on what Square did with the X remaster.

ObsidianG

Yeah, all the changes you're suggesting have been floating around in my head for a while, especially

Fran as Archer/Red Battlemage
Basch as Knight/Time Battlemage
Balthier as Machinist/Uhlan

which would leave Ashe as a Bushi/Black Mage

I'm just kinda iffy about Ashe as a Black Mage since that doesn't quite feel right for her. I could always make Basch the Bushi/Black Mage and Ashe the Knight/Time Mage...

That's a good point! You could always swap Ashe and Basch to remedy that: In revenant wings, Ashe had access to time magick (iirc), so Time Battlemage / Knight would make sense from a story perpective, with knight also being fitting of one of royal blood. Bash fits into the Bushi / Black Mage role, since he is a very honorable character, although being a black mage might be harder to explain, beyond being a class that naturally complements his katanas and magick lores (from a game mechanic perspective).

Balphon

I like that list except for Ashe. It's been a long time since I played this but I remember Ashe being a very capable fighter. I never played the Zodiac version either so I probably need to relearn everything anyways.

I'm waiting near my door tomorrow and as soon as I see the delivery driver pull up Im gonna start playing Theme of the Empire as he walks up to the door.

In RW Ashe is a Time Mage, so that's about as canon as you will get.

Nohar

I almost bought FFXII - The Zodiac Age today. Damn, but I don't have the money for that (also, kinda already played the IZJS version).
On the other hand, I do have a coupon to spend...
GAF, you brought temptation upon me. I blame all of ye fouls for this ordeal!

jennetics

All these suggestions for optimal and lore job combinations are confusing me before my game even arrives in the mail. =/

Don't pay attention to them, homie. Just enjoy the game without worrying about optimizing. Each class is good on its own, don't worry about the min/maxing aspect.

MogCakes

They sure do

final-fantasy-xii-20061027031439364-000.jpg
The moogles of Ivalice are the GOAT. Smart, cunning, industrious, righteous, without any of the naivete of their inferior cousins. Only with their might does Bhujerba and its allies stand chance against the empire's fleet. Hear this and know all, that these moogles are no mere mascots.

Nohar

The moogles of Ivalice are the GOAT. Smart, cunning, industrious, righteous, without any of the naivete of their inferior cousins. Only with their might does Bhujerba and its allies stand chance against the empire's fleet. Hear this and know all, that these moogles are no mere mascots.

Quoted for truth. Ivalice's moogles are best moogles, by far.

-NeoTB1-

Quoted for truth. Ivalice's moogles are best moogles, by far.

Agreed. Glad there are others here who share this sentiment.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Came across this picture that was done for IZJS and I might make a team like this.

I wish they "showed' the jobs for the rest of the characters in the picture though.

Why is Vaan hoisting Basch over his shoulders lol, it should be the other way around.

Zakkath

Does Uhlan bring anything unique and/or useful to the group ? I was gonna try to have one of each job, but I might skip this one if it's useless.

OmegaDL50

I made these for myself but if anyone would like some Final Fantasy XII avatars, feel free to use them.

4522f822dc.png
227b24e32c.png
93599768e2.png
402f811719.png

3a75d2d84e.png
f02be8bf35.png
1f1f4235b5.png
5c559a514d.png

eb07ee7980.png
c1169a2e49.png
dc77ccdd26.png
ce4c32a9a9.png

Is that bottom left image supposed to be Balthier. It's fan art right? Because it's not really best rendition of his character I've seen.

I won't be able to play until Tuesday night here. Torture. I'm stuck watching streams, posting here, and constantly thinking of new party combos.

AndersK

Sweet! Claiming Cid. Edit; fuck. Not him! Troll Balthier it is.

My setup:

Vaan - Shikari/Time mage
Penelo: Monk/black mage
Balthier: Machinist/White mage
Fran: Archer/Red mage
Basch: Uhlan/Foebreaker
Ashe: Knight/Samurai

Fairly optimized, with some lore concessions. I just never saw Basch as a magic user, but more of a weapons expert. I Need Ashe to be a Knight and a Samurai, again for esthetic reasons.
Hardest part is starting as Machinist/Archer and foregoing early white magic. I'm sorry, Balthier only get to along magic later. Doesnt make sense otherwise to me.

Top Bottom