• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erasus

Oh wow did they even look a those screens before they released them? :lol Horrible, it cant be that bad on 360.

Alos does mouse pointer mean PC version or just capture software?

neojubei said:
The screenshots are coming directly from square and it looks like they screwed up twice already, so i understand some people can be wary of how the game looks if even the company making the game cannot release proper screenshots of the game.
How can you be worried about how the game looks when there have been enough reports stating it looks fine?

DMeisterJ

Banned
SE must really not like money.

1. No SE/LE for NA... WTF
2. No PS3 bundle for NA/EU... is
3. 50 dollar faceplates... this shit

WTFISTHISSHIT

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
DMeisterJ said:
SE must really not like money.

1. No SE/LE for NA... WTF
2. No PS3 bundle for NA/EU... is
3. 50 dollar faceplates... this shit

WTFISTHISSHIT

I have to agree a steelbook LE version for both versions of the game would be a cashcow for SE. Looking at the debacle of the PR shots I do not think Square-enix has a clear cut agenda for the launch of FF13 in NA.

Rahxephon91 said:
How can you be worried about how the game looks when there have been enough reports stating it looks fine?

Screenshots have more weight than reports from websites usually; it is hard to believe reports if the official screenshots do not look good. It is pretty bad on square if they cannot even make a good screen of the game, especially if the game is one of the big games of the year.

VegaShinra

Shadowlink said:
Same! Hopefully they don't cancel it.
I hope they don't cancel mine. I'm not gonna pay $50 for one but for $10 it was well worth ordering a few. Even to sell the others on Ebay for a profit.

Mandoric

Banned
I still don't comprehend why people expect, or want, an LE. It's a mass-market product, if they want to sell $20 geegaws they can actually pump them into retail stand-alone (and retail will happily mark them up to $50 - lolBB), not force them in package with the title itself.

Would've been nice to get the Lightning PS3 though.

neojubei said:
Screenshots have more weight than reports from websites usually; it is hard to believe reports if the official screenshots do not look good. It is pretty bad on square if they cannot even make a good screen of the game, especially if the game is one of the big games of the year.
No they don't. Screenshots are doctored all the time. I rather believe a report from a website then some pr tool.

Dresden

Mandoric said:
I still don't comprehend why people expect, or want, an LE. It's a mass-market product, if they want to sell $20 geegaws they can actually pump them into retail stand-alone (and retail will happily mark them up to $50 - lolBB), not force them in package with the title itself.

Would've been nice to get the Lightning PS3 though.
LEs=extra income. People will pay ten, twenty extra dollars for random, useless shit. It's dumb not to scoop out shit to people who'd happily consume shit and pay for it too.

Limited editions are also more profitable when the game is popular in the first place. There's a reason why Modern Warfare 2 launched with like three different Collector's Edition packages.

Mandoric

Banned
Dresden said:
LEs=extra income. People will pay ten, twenty extra dollars for random, useless shit. It's dumb not to scoop out shit to people who'd happily consume shit and pay for it too.

Limited editions are also more profitable when the game is popular in the first place. There's a reason why Modern Warfare 2 launched with like three different Collector's Edition packages.

Yeah, but on the other hand, you're alienating the casual market and limiting your own sales of the given product. This really isn't a big issue with stuff like system bundles, but why should Square want to sell $70 games with a Lightning doll when they can sell $60 games and $35 Lightning dolls? Plus having to make large quantities for a demand spike, the rest of which will get remaindered out.
(There's also a bit of corporate culture going here in that US console games are the only place where there isn't a Square Tax.)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Rahxephon91 said:
No they don't. Screenshots are doctored all the time. I rather believe a report from a website then some pr tool.

Well you are entitled to believe reports than screenshots, but most people especially here love screenshots, take a look at the alan wake and god of war 3 threads, lots of screenshots there. Screenshots of games are huge in advertising a game and making people want it more. Why do you think a lot of reports have screenshots of games in the article.

Vamphuntr

dofry said:
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2526/ffxiii-significantly-poorer-on-xbox

Well this was a surprise. Don't know how credible this site is, but 360 textures and details lacking is unexpected. Guess porting does that to your game.

Knowing that this is likely to stir controversy, we'd like to make it clear that NowGamer is a multi-format publication, with no leanings either way toward a particular console. These are just the observations of a few journalists who have experienced the game on PS3. It would appear Square Enix has had to make some sacrifices to cram the game onto three discs after all, particularly when it comes to CG quality.
Ultimately, no matter what you're playing it on we wouldn't discourage anyone from deciding to buy it if they're already planning to. However, if you have a choice, the PS3 version has the edge.

Thanks for the heads up nowgamer. Dear god, IGN might have some competition.

720p video, from what I've seen of it on 360 (Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon) is quite good. It's not going to be -as good- as 1080p on a PS3, but it's fine.

On the other hand, if the 360 version gets Bayonetta'd then you can consider my 360 preorder cancelled. No way will I subject myself to that.

Zoe

Arpharmd B said:
720p video, from what I've seen of it on 360 (Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon) is quite good. It's not going to be -as good- as 1080p on a PS3, but it's fine.

Neither of those had their videos encoded separately like FFXIII has.

Arpharmd B said:

On the other hand, if the 360 version gets Bayonetta'd then you can consider my 360 preorder cancelled. No way will I subject myself to that.
Bayonetta PS3 was still playable. It's better than getting nothing.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Arpharmd B said:

720p is definitely good enough, but today I was thinking the same thing with Mass Effect 2. I played the PC version and wondered about the CG video quality. Wish those were 1080p too as the game itself looks better than the cutscene videos in some parts.

Firestorm

Zoe said:
Neither of those had their videos encoded separately like FFXIII has.
What do you mean by that? =o

dofry, I don't think it was the resolution as much as the compression. The opening cinematic compression on BioShock 2 is so terrible it's disgusting. Ugh x.x

Arpharmd B said:

As mentioned above, resolution is not the issue, shitty bitrate is. Think of shitty $100 cameras that record 1080p versus an actual camcorder that records 1080p video.

Firestorm said:
I don't know about Blue Dragon, but Lost Odyssey does in fact have some CG FMVs encoded using what I believe was Bink. They looked amazing. No macroblocking whatsoever.

You sure about that? I just checked the back cover and didn't see a Bink logo; I don't remember if the logo was there in the loading screens before the main menu for the game. Either way, LO has an extra DVD compared to FF13, and I think it's a safe bet that FF13 has more FMV. Maybe Bink can support a higher bitrate than 2.2mbps? No idea if I'm right though.

Zoe

Firestorm said:
I don't know about Blue Dragon, but Lost Odyssey does in fact have some CG FMVs encoded using what I believe was Bink. They looked amazing. No macroblocking whatsoever.

Weird. It's not listed on Bink's site, and the only thing coming up in relation to Lost Odyssey on Google is Jar Jar Binks.

Synless

I don't think the 360 version is going to look as bad as you guys are fearing it is. I'm not sure if I'd go by those pictures. Just wait a few more weeks and you guys will have your answer.

Facism

Seriously it's just gotta be shitty screen captures. I'm sure the games will be par as far as it goes for ingame visuals.

Banned
Synless said:
I don't think the 360 version is going to look as bad as you guys are fearing hoping it is. I'm not sure if I'd go by those pictures. Just wait a few more weeks and you guys will have your answer.

Fixed.

Firestorm

I might be mistaken about BINK being used in Lost Odyssey. I've just seen the logo so many times this gen that maybe I just assumed.
Zoe said:
Weird. It's not listed on Bink's site, and the only thing coming up in relation to Lost Odyssey on Google is Jar Jar Binks.
I just did the same search :lol

I would be absolutely shocked if the game looked like that on the 360, some of those shots look like a good looking ps2/wii game, Im pretty sure it will look pretty much the same as the ps3.

Vamphuntr

Firestorm said:
I might be mistaken about BINK being used in Lost Odyssey. I've just seen the logo so many times this gen that maybe I just assumed.

It's not listed on the back cover of LO either I just checked.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Guess I should be glad that I don't know what Bink Video looks like. Only game that has FMV's on the 360 that I own are Tales of Vesperia. :lol Please tell me it doesn't exist in Bayonetta.

Magna Carta 2 uses bink video and all the cutscenes look good awful. They look very dull and washed out. I hate to say it but I feel XIII will share the same fate. Thank god for having a PS3.

fernoca

Bink doesn't "look bad" it just depends on who uses it and how.
Heck, there are PS3 games that use Bink...so is not something "exclusive to the Xbox 360"..

In any case, (related to looking in the back of the boxes for the Bink logo), there are many games that use it, but list it only in the instruction booklet; at the end.

ghibli99

Whichever system you play it on, your experience will be pretty similar. If it's a good game, it'll stand on its own despite any technical shortcomings in one version.

I will agree that S-E screwed up royally with releasing those screens. I'm sure that person got reprimanded.

fernoca

ghibli99 said:
Whichever system you play it on, your experience will be pretty similar. If it's a good game, it'll stand on its own despite any technical shortcomings in one version.
Exactly. Is not like the ones that going to be getting the Xbox 360 will have less game, less characters, less story, etc.

In fact it would't susprise me that quite a few of the ones parading about "OMG 1080p movies on the PS3", doesn't even have 1080p-capable sets. Heck, from 3 people I know will be buying the game on PS3, 1 is going to get the "OMG 1080p movies version" to play it on a 720p LCD, 1 is going to play the "OMG 1080p movies version" on a 4:3 CRT/480i Panasonic and there was even one that was going to play it on his 720p-LCD; but at 480i with composite cables; till I actually made him buy HDMI cables to at least get a better 720p signal. All 3 were talking about how awesome 1080p movies were going to look.

ghibli99 said:
I will agree that S-E screwed up royally with releasing those screens. I'm sure that person got reprimanded.
Nah, they won't do anything. I've seen even worst things (like someone putting an ad for a new Nintendo DS lite bundle with 2 games in a few magazines,shoppers and newspapers, for ...$25. And all they said was "Oops!". Even when it costed the store thousands of dollars, because they had to sell it at that price even when they weren't related or even knew about that mistake. The person responisble is still working there.

neptunes

Firestorm said:
If LO uses the Unreal 3 engine, then it would make sense that it used bink.

Valkyr Junkie said:
As mentioned above, resolution is not the issue, shitty bitrate is. Think of shitty $100 cameras that record 1080p versus an actual camcorder that records 1080p video.

Well, technical stuff aside, the point I'm trying to make is it looked really good (in BD and LO's case at least), and I'm more than satisfied with it. I won't settle for significantly worse performance, resolution, textures etc. in the game, however.

Aljosa said:
Bayonetta PS3 was still playable. It's better than getting nothing.

"Still playable" is not acceptable for the greatest action game of all time. If I didn't already have a 360 I'd have gotten one for Bayonetta. Likewise if Final Fantasy XIII is as bad a port as Bayonetta was, I will not hesitate to buy a PS3.

neptunes said:
If LO uses the Unreal 3 engine, then it would make sense that it used bink.

It does.

The cutscenes in BD and LO look flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom