• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RpgN

Oh weird, in the Japanese version they're called Sapotenda or something *First time playing a Japanese version of FF* It's nice to see the little ones are still called cactuar in the English version. Sorry for the confusion :p

Zoe

RpgN said:
Oh weird, in the Japanese version they're called Sapotenda or something *First time playing a Japanese version of FF* It's nice to see the little ones are still called cactuar in English. Sorry for the confusion :p

"sabotenda"

Saboten is Japanese for cactus.

Just got to Chapter 13 again and was reminded of something that really annoys me, the way Snow
keeps calling Barthandelus Dysley.
I don't know why, but it really irritates me.

Yay finally finished chap. 9 and it took me a while to figure the boss out.
At first when I saw Distrudo I was healing like crazy and just let Fang as my Sentinel take all the damage. lol It was only like two more tries later that I realized I had to chain like crazy. <_<;;

As I start chap. 10 I just want to ask you guys if is it important I start upgrading some of my weapons? All of them incl. my acc. are still lv.1 and I was thinking maybe I'm just making things difficult for myself.:lol

SonicX_Zero said:
Yay finally finished chap. 9 and it took me a while to figure the boss out.
At first when I saw Distrudo I was healing like crazy and just let Fang as my Sentinel take all the damage. lol It was only like two more tries later that I realized I had to chain like crazy. <_<;;

As I start chap. 10 I just want to ask you guys if is it important I start upgrading some of my weapons? All of them incl. my acc. are still lv.1 and I was thinking maybe I'm just making things difficult for myself.:lol

Weapon/Accessory upgrading doesn't really matter until the post-game. Crystarium upgrades should be enough to get you through the main game.

If you do fancy trying your hand at it before then, wait until Chapter 11, and read some guides. While I don't think it's possible to screw yourself over, going into it without knowing what you are doing and wasting materials could result in extra grinding later.

Akainu said:
What? Are you talking about FF 12? When I randomly walked around in FF 12 I ended up in ruins, ran into deeper parts of dungeons and random bosses. What are you talking about?
There were a few very cool semi-hidden dungeons, especially the ones starting with the letter N, but I mean the basic design of most of the areas had you finding a random treasure chest on alternate paths after walking around a huge empty area for ever and ever, and I don't find that a really satisfying way to present exploration. YMMV, I guess. Not that Gran Pulse is that much different in that regard...

DigitalDevil said:
I don't know.... I don't really like the idea of coming BACK to Gran Pulse after beating the game. I mean, at least they way they did it. If you beat the last boss, and then somehow the ending story let it make sense why you were going back to GP that would be different. But from what I hear it's more like
beat the game, then you go back to RIGHT BEFORE the last boss where you can transport back to GP to do missions and stuff
. If that's right, I think it was a retarded way to handle things.
It doesn't make any narrative sense, but neither does finding random savepoints/internet shops scattered about the world, so w/e. Rule of Fun says that it would suck to have a standard NG+ where you'd have to go all the way through chapters 1-10 just to get to the real meat of the game, so I'm fine with the way they did it.

Nutter

Well there being 3 Doctors code in the game is a bummer. What is the best way to take down those Long Gui's then? I have tried it 6 times. Each time he does Ultima and Kills my main character, which is Fang. [i have close to 16000 hp and it still kills me] :lol

Ok, how powerful do you have to be for Mission 55 using the death technique? I managed to land it once and spammed Firaga on the little bastards and then my shrouds wore off....it was grab ankle time after that. I had to stay in Med Med Sen to stay alive which meant that I wasn't doing any damage to them. I had hopes that Fang would eventually finish one off with counter attacks but she was striking back so rarely. How strong do you need to be to take out those little bastards? I hate the idea of grinding more because the whole point of doing this mission early is so I can grind more effectively.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Nutter said:
Well there being 3 Doctors code in the game is a bummer. What is the best way to take down those Long Gui's then? I have tried it 6 times. Each time he does Ultima and Kills my main character, which is Fang. [i have close to 16000 hp and it still kills me] :lol

You must have a Tortoise paradigm (SEN/SEN/SEN) to survive Ultima. Other than that, taking out Long Gui is much like destroying his lesser turtle cousin, the Adamantoise. Stagger and highwind the legs, than stagger and hit on him for awhile and then repeat (he'll take at least two staggers to kill).

A good strategy.

I don't recommend farming him for ingots though - the Adamantoise is a much faster kill and has the same drop rate for ingots.

burgerdog

Nutter said:
He's no different than adamantoise except for ultima. So if you were able to beat toise without cheap tricks use the same method. Just make sure you switch to triple sentinel set up when he casts ultima. It also sounds like you don't have all six roles maxed out because fang's hp is missing like 6k.

Nutter

burgerdog said:
He's no different than adamantoise except for ultima. So if you were able to beat toise without cheap tricks use the same method. Just make sure you switch to triple sentinel set up when he casts ultima. It also sounds like you don't have all six roles maxed out because fang's hp is missing like 6k.
Which move [tech] should I be using when in Sentinel mode?

Also I just said 16k hp during the fight. I have Fang at 22k. And I have knocked this fucker over twice with 3 staggers, and still couldnt finish him off he gets up so quickly.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Nutter said:

Also I just said 16k hp during the fight. I have Fang at 22k. And I have knocked this fucker over twice with 3 staggers, and still couldnt finish him off he gets up so quickly.

When you are in the process of getting the main body to stagger after you've knocked him down, make sure you have Fang or someone in a Sab paradigm to cast slow and other debuffs on him. That'll give you more time in stagger to whittle away his health. He'll take awhile to kill though. It usually takes me three-four staggers to wipe him out and my characters are pretty much maxed, weapons and accessories as well.

eznark

Banned
Just finished chapter 10. Good lord at the start of Chapter 11. Beautiful. If Square had cut 1-10 in half and gotten to this quicker reception would have been much, much different.

burgerdog

Nutter said:

You don't need to use any techs when you switch to sen/sen/sen. All you do is switch to it, take the hit from ultima, and switch back to whatever as soon as the damage registers on you.

Nutter

Well I have 2 SAB;s putting debuffs on him right from the start, then get rid of his legs. I can do that pretty easily, its the time when he gets up he usually does a ground kick and immediately follows up with ultima. :lol, but I will try it again today and switch everyone to SEN, and see how that helps out. :) thanks.

desverger

Soo.. I'm at Ch12, farming that big turtle with the Death method. It's so random :lol

Sometimes you go for 6 tries without killing him, I'm always surprised when he fades away. Got 2 ingots so far, but all I want is one Trap. Is the Collector's Catalog enough to get it "fairly" regularly or do I need some other item as well to boost the drop rates?

Magnus

I've yet to see this big turtles everyone's talking about, and I beat the game last week, lol. Do they only spawn for certain missions?

Magnus said:
I've yet to see this big turtles everyone's talking about, and I beat the game last week, lol. Do they only spawn for certain missions?

They're the REALLY big monsters roaming Pulse. They're this games version of the Adamantoise.

Pooya

fna84 said:
Why is
Claire
being spoiler marked?

I'm at the last boss....am I missing something?
it's Light's real name, chapter 11 final boss, don't remember?

desverger said:
Soo.. I'm at Ch12, farming that big turtle with the Death method. It's so random

Sometimes you go for 6 tries without killing him, I'm always surprised when he fades away. Got 2 ingots so far, but all I want is one Trap. Is the Collector's Catalog enough to get it "fairly" regularly or do I need some other item as well to boost the drop rates?
Collector's catalog only affects regular drops IIRC you need Connoisseur Catalog for rare drops.

Magnus

CruxisMana said:
They're the REALLY big monsters roaming Pulse. They're this games version of the Adamantoise.
Wait, the AT-AT monsters all over the place? They don't look anything like turtles. :lol

desverger

miladesn said:
Collector's catalog only affects regular drops IIRC you need Connoisseur Catalog for rare drops.

Ahh thank you. I just looked it up, it seems like I need to upgrade a Collector's to get a Connoisseur.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Magnus said:
Wait, the AT-AT monsters all over the place? They don't look anything like turtles. :lol
lol, I can't call them turtles either. I only knew what everyone was talking about when I noticed the shell.

800px-FfxiiiAdamantoise.jpg

pix said:
Turtles on Stilts
:lol

Zoe

Fuu said:
lol, I can't call them turtles either. I only knew what everyone was talking about when I noticed the shell.

Didn't somebody say Long Gui is how you say turtle in Chinese?

Ok so I'm a pretty casual RPG player. I liked FFX, FFVII, and all the old 2-D FFs but other that I don't play a lot of RPGs, would you guys recommend this? I don't want something I'll have to spend hours and hours just learning how to play. I just want a pretty straight forward RPG with a decent story.

Fuu

Zoe said:
Didn't somebody say Long Gui is how you say turtle in Chinese?
I didn't know Long Gui was a type of Adamantoise in the game too, haha (haven't met it yet). In that case I guess they really are supposed to resemble turtles (on stilts).

Cornbread78 said:
If you forget to collect all the monster data from the first two chapters, do they appear later in the game, or do you have to play through a NG+ to get it?
The Loremaster trophy is extremely easy to get. In fact, it would be much harder to make it through the game if you were intentionally trying *not* to get it. So you don't really need to worry about it at all; just use Libra often (which you should do anyway).

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Fuu said:

800px-FfxiiiAdamantoise.jpg

:lol

I'd love to see whoever put the chair on his back (and the chains on his feet/neck).

luxarific

Nork unification denier
icarus-daedelus said:
Dude, Titan eats those guys for breakfast.

I know, but the chair is too small for him. So it makes me wonder. :lol

I think the turtles are my favorite enemies in the game - so glad that Square let us kill them. :lol

lljride

First time I took one down I felt kinda bad. Eidolon swept his legs and dude's just flopping around on the ground while we wail on him:lol. That's what he gets for carrying traps and ingots though, should've known better.

Zoe

There are hints of non-human societies on Pulse like the bird people (at least that's how I think of them :lol). Don't know what they're called in the American version, but they're &#22934;&#20154; in the Japanese version.

You can see what seems to be an entrance to their home in Mah'habara

RpgN

3 down, 2 ingots grabbed :D

Question time: If you have both a Collector catalog and a Connoisseur Catalog equiped, will you have a chance in getting both an ingot and a trap equally? Or will I have to remove the Collectors catalog and just keep the Connoisseur Catalog to receive some traps?

EDIT:

They're called good choice and best choice in Japanese for the people who played that version.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RpgN said:
3 down, 2 ingots grabbed :D

Question time: If you have both a Collector catalog and a Connoisseur Catalog equiped, will you have a chance in getting both an ingot and a trap equally? Or will I have to remove the Collectors catalog and just keep the Connoisseur Catalog to receive some traps?

EDIT:

They're called good choice and best choice in Japanese for the people who played that version.

You only get one drop per enemy. So if you get a trap, you can't get an ingot... which is why you should remove the Best Choice/Connoisseur Catalog if you don't want traps anymore.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter if you're trying to go for both.

RpgN

firehawk12 said:
You only get one drop per enemy. So if you get a trap, you can't get an ingot... which is why you should remove the Best Choice/Connoisseur Catalog if you don't want traps anymore.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter if you're trying to go for both.

Great, I think I'm going to keep both for a while since I don't have lots of cash and could use some. Thanks, the traps will be mine soon!

Zoe

firehawk12 said:

Are you talking in general, or for the turtles? Cause I was getting multiple items on other mobs (refilling TP) last night.

Question for those of you further than me: How much does the Gold Watch help with getting 5 star ratings?

I ask because right now I'm doing some missions in between Adamatoise farming to kind of break things up, and I'm not concerning myself too much about the star ratings (although I still try my best). If it doesn't make much of a difference then I'd rather just make the effort to do it right the first time. However if it does make things much easier then I'd rather not frustrate myself trying to 5 star them without it.

Despite having a maxed out Crystalim for all characters, I can't seem to consistently kill Adamantoises without summons. Farming enough ignots for that treasure hunter trophy is going to take forever :(

Fuu

I was under the assumption that while having both Collector and Connoisseur equipped you get the two bonuses separately affecting your loot results (in the case of turtles, both chances of getting a ingot or a trap raising). I know that the Collector bonus doesn't raise Connoisseur but does Connoisseur simply overriders the effect of Collector?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Zoe said:
Are you talking in general, or for the turtles? Cause I was getting multiple items on other mobs (refilling TP) last night.

Seconded. I've gotten traps at the same time as ingots. I'd keep the Con Catalog on, honestly. I don't think it reduces the drop rate of common items like ingots. It just increases the drop rate of rare items like traps.

Interesting analysis re drop rates.

Cornbread78

icarus-daedelus said:
The Loremaster trophy is extremely easy to get. In fact, it would be much harder to make it through the game if you were intentionally trying *not* to get it. So you don't really need to worry about it at all; just use Libra often (which you should do anyway).

Alright, I'll just do that, I just got the Cryo system up and running, so I'll have to look for it.

Posted byy: Choopy

Originally Posted by Cornbread78:
Seriously? That's sweet, do you need it for all monsters after that though?

You only need to fully analyze 100 monsters. After that you need not worry about it.

sweet, just 100? that shouldn;t be too bad, thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom