• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
kinoki said:
Finally at the last chapter in this game. The game knows nothing of pacing. It would have made a great game back on the SNES because that's where the core gameplay is at technically. It just feels so drawn out.

Also, I checked an FAQ to see how long the last "dungeon" was and discovered that I've been using completly different classes than the FAQ listed. I've been using a COM-RAV-SYN as a starter switching to a COM-RAV-RAV to build up the stagger bar once everyone has their buffs and switching to COM-RAV-MED whenever enough damage was being dealt to the party. I've managed to finish everything so far with little-to-no effort and haven't used SEN once except the fights that force you to use it. SAB only used whenever I've needed to burn down an enemy fast. Am I doing it wrong?

Oh come on...

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
cosmicblizzard said:
Oh come on...

Alot of it is really refined: the retry-option, the proximity to save points, the overall flow of gameplay. But it's just a SNES game in glorious graphics. And that isn't being disrespectful to SNES-games but it feels a bit stale despite being so refined.

DaBuddaDa

How exactly, with concrete and specific examples pointing at features of SNES JRPGs, is FFXIII anything like one?

Edit: Yes, we know they have in common menus, equipable weapons and a story.

kinoki said:
Alot of it is really refined: the retry-option, the proximity to save points, the overall flow of gameplay. But it's just a SNES game in glorious graphics. And that isn't being disrespectful to SNES-games but it feels a bit stale despite being so refined.

First time I heard that criticism. By that logic, most games are just SNES games with better graphics. The only thing FF13's battle system has in common with anything prior to this generation is you select stuff from a menu.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
cosmicblizzard said:
First time I heard that criticism. By that logic, most games are just SNES games with better graphics. The only thing FF13's battle system has in common with anything prior to this generation is you select stuff from a menu.

It just feels like they've taken the skeleton of a SNES game, game it a pretty makeover and put it out on display. It's not really a bad thing. After a short break from it and trying out FFVI again I felt that both the story and gameplay would have been so good in 16-bit fashion since then I haven't been able to drop that line of thought. I would have made an awesome 16-bit game. The awkward pacing just adds to that.

Erasus

I still have not completed this, I think I got so used to the game holding my hand that when I got to the missions in Gran Pulse I´m like "What now??":lol

kinoki said:
It just feels like they've taken the skeleton of a SNES game, game it a pretty makeover and put it out on display. It's not really a bad thing. After a short break from it and trying out FFVI again I felt that both the story and gameplay would have been so good in 16-bit fashion since then I haven't been able to drop that line of thought. I would have made an awesome 16-bit game. The awkward pacing just adds to that.

Still not really sure where you're coming from, but if you say so. I honestly would've loved it more if I felt like it was an SNES era JRPG.

kinoki

cosmicblizzard said:
Still not really sure where you're coming from, but if you say so. I honestly would've loved it more if I felt like it was an SNES era JRPG.

What makes it feel like a SNES game to me is the cheesy paperback story attached to a gameplay that just feels slightly more fresh than a NES game. The advances the gameplay has made feels fresh enough to make you think it's a vast improvement of what came last but with some afterthought you realize it isn't but rather something you expected from the last entry.

It doesn't feel like one of those awesome SNES games like Chrono Trigger rather like Final Fantasy V where it's good enough for its time but at the same time already feels dated. It's simply one of those games that could very well be called "derriere garde". It has no place being on a HD console this late into the generation; the school of thought feels so 1994.

kinoki said:
What makes it feel like a SNES game to me is the cheesy paperback story attached to a gameplay that just feels slightly more fresh than a NES game. The advances the gameplay has made feels fresh enough to make you think it's a vast improvement of what came last but with some afterthought you realize it isn't but rather something you expected from the last entry.

It doesn't feel like one of those awesome SNES games like Chrono Trigger rather like Final Fantasy V where it's good enough for its time but at the same time already feels dated. It's simply one of those games that could very well be called "derriere garde". It has no place being on a HD console this late into the generation; the school of thought feels so 1994.

Not trying to be mean here, but I still have no clue what you're talking about. If I'm understanding this right (decent chance I'm not), then a good majority of the games this gen have been like that (or at least Japanese ones).

kinoki

cosmicblizzard said:
Not trying to be mean here, but I still have no clue what you're talking about. If I'm understanding this right (decent chance I'm not), then a good majority of the games this gen have been like that (or at least Japanese ones).

That might be true. I've mostly just played western games this gen. I guess if I had played more japanese games I would say something like: "like most japanese games FFXIII seems to be stuck in the 16-bit era." I'm not saying it's bad--because it's not--it just feels a bit awkward and a bit backwards.

kinoki said:
That might be true. I've mostly just played western games this gen. I guess if I had played more japanese games I would say something like: "like most japanese games FFXIII seems to be stuck in the 16-bit era." I'm not saying it's bad--because it's not--it just feels a bit awkward and a bit backwards.

I think I understand but you're wording it really weird. You sure your problem isn't just with the anime-like story? I honestly can't think of many advances in core gameplay on either side of the world that are bigger than this.

kinoki

cosmicblizzard said:
I think I understand but you're wording it really weird. You sure your problem isn't just with the anime-like story? I honestly can't think of many advances in core gameplay on either side of the world that are bigger than this.

The things that bother me the most is that the game still exists on solely a two-dimensional plane. It doesn't take any use of being a 3D game. We get a linear path that might as well be 2D. In this regard it reminds me of Final Fantasy X that also ignored the 3rd dimension, most notably in Blitzball.

CrankyJay

Banned
I just beat Rosch for the last time and he's dead...and now I was able to warp back to Gran Pulse. If I want to get all the trophies and do side missions etc, is this when I do it? How do I beat that damn Adamantoise? He kills me in one shot.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
CrankyJay said:
I just beat Rosch for the last time and he's dead...and now I was able to warp back to Gran Pulse. If I want to get all the trophies and do side missions etc, is this when I do it? How do I beat that damn Adamantoise? He kills me in one shot.
You can go back then, or after you beat the game. Its not going to shut you off.

The turtles are a bitch though. You need sentinels, but more importantly you need the xp, abilities, and equipment to handle them.

Or you can just summon, cast death repeatedly, and pray that he never gets up.

CrankyJay

Banned
I like to get trophies and such, but I'm starting to question whether or not this is something I want to spend another 40-60+ hours on. :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
CrankyJay said:
I like to get trophies and such, but I'm starting to question whether or not this is something I want to spend another 40-60+ hours on. :lol
The post-game is okay... but it suffers from a horribly broken economy. Some decent fights are out there if you're into the battle system.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
CrankyJay said:

Storyline - 30-40 hours, you can get around 1/3 of the trophies.
Platinuming the game - 90-110 hours (you'll have to grind a lot).

Phoenix4

Strange, bought this at launch but didn't like the game at all. Major fan of the series since FF7, although i didn't bother finishing FF12 just before the end.

It suddenly clicked with me though at Chapter 7-8 and now i'm really enjoying it and looking forward to play it again this week. Guess a lot of people had the same feeling when the game stopped feeling like it was still in its introductory part in the early chapters.

Phatcorns

Phoenix4 said:
Strange, bought this at launch but didn't like the game at all. Major fan of the series since FF7, although i didn't bother finishing FF12 just before the end.

It suddenly clicked with me though at Chapter 7-8 and now i'm really enjoying it and looking forward to play it again this week. Guess a lot of people had the same feeling when the game stopped feeling like it was still in its introductory part in the early chapters.

Dude, that is so weird, because the game just started clicking for me at the exact same time. I just re-picked it up after not playing since launch and haven't been able to put it down. I made it to Chapter 7 and other things came up and it seemed kind of boring to me. But I really wanted to get back into it because it's just so beautiful and I'm glad I did.

It's like the battle system finally clicked, I understand what it is I'm supposed to be doing as far as paradigm switches go. The whole mechanic of boosting the stagger bar with ravagers and keeping it from falling with commando's is infinitely entertaining to me. And the upgrade system is also really simple but it's so satisfying to see that mother fucker just level it's ass up when I put the right exp bonus with the organic parts and then stuff a shit ton of exp into with the metal parts.

I'm absolutely loving the story and music too. The recurring themes are PERFECT and the melodrama is so delicious. I love this emo talkie talkie. So good.gif

Cornbread78

Phatcorns said:
Dude, that is so weird, because the game just started clicking for me at the exact same time. I just re-picked it up after not playing since launch and haven't been able to put it down. I made it to Chapter 7 and other things came up and it seemed kind of boring to me. But I really wanted to get back into it because it's just so beautiful and I'm glad I did.

It's like the battle system finally clicked, I understand what it is I'm supposed to be doing as far as paradigm switches go. The whole mechanic of boosting the stagger bar with ravagers and keeping it from falling with commando's is infinitely entertaining to me. And the upgrade system is also really simple but it's so satisfying to see that mother fucker just level it's ass up when I put the right exp bonus with the organic parts and then stuff a shit ton of exp into with the metal parts.

I'm absolutely loving the story and music too. The recurring themes are PERFECT and the melodrama is so delicious. I love this emo talkie talkie. So good.gif

I had fun with the game once I got here
ff13_gran_pulse1-640x360.jpg

Then I hated it again when I tried to get teh platonum because of these ba$tards:

final-fantasy-xiii-20091216072107782-000.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Just beat the game...going to attempt to Platinum I guess. *sigh*

Love the battles etc, environments, music, FMV, but damn, the story sucked. :lol

Cornbread78

CrankyJay said:
Just beat the game...going to attempt to Platinum I guess. *sigh*

Love the battles etc, environments, music, FMV, but damn, the story sucked. :lol

The Mark missions are actually pretty fun and you can grind along the way. 1 hint though, try to get the Growth Egg ASAP.

CrankyJay

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
The Mark missions are actually pretty fun and you can grind along the way. 1 hint though, try to get the Growth Egg ASAP.

Got it, and have each weapon upgraded to their secondary form and maxed. Just need to max all those out I guess. 2+ million per weapon?

Phatcorns

So I just got to Gran Pulse. Haven't started it yet, but I find it hilarious that Lightning says, "Well, I guess this place is pretty much guaranteed not to be boring." considering how many people didn't start enjoying the game till they got here.

By the way, if you stuck out the 26 hours (how long it took me) to get to Gran Pulse and didn't enjoy it, then you are a masochist or are really forgiving, because that is far too long to play a game you're not enjoying.

On that note, I absolutely understand and sympathize with people's complaints of the game, I'm just very glad that none of the complaints affect me at all, because I wanted this game to be good and it's oh so good.

After 7 months I finally finished the game. I probably hated 95% of the game. The characters, the story, the battle system (if you can call it that), the summons and its very, very linear world. The only thing you do in this game is fighting and watching cut scenes. And of course grinding when you're finally on Gran Pulse (something I actually like). But I have to say, it's probably the most beautiful corridor simulator I've ever seen. The game looks really, really good and I loved the FMVs. Square Enix created something really good looking. Hell, they even got the hair right (something that most of the current gen games are not capable of).

So, what's the release date for Versus XIII? :lol

I think I'm going to give FFXIII a try come maybe January or February, after my love affair with New Vegas has tapered off. Winter's usually the time I chill with RPGs because there's three feet of snow outside and fuck all to do outdoors. I'm well aware that the first ~20 hours are going to be iffy, but at least I'll have played it.

Cels

ULTROS! said:
Storyline - 30-40 hours, you can get around 1/3 of the trophies.
Platinuming the game - 90-110 hours (you'll have to grind a lot).

I platinumed in under 60 hours, and I wasn't going all that fast. I think somebody even completed the storyline in under 10 hours, by avoiding most battles, using sprays, skipping cutscenes.

So don't be discouraged by that 90-110hr estimate...sure it MAY take you that long but it's entirely possible to do it in under 60.

Cornbread78

disappeared said:
I think I'm going to give FFXIII a try come maybe January or February, after my love affair with New Vegas has tapered off. Winter's usually the time I chill with RPGs because there's three feet of snow outside and fuck all to do outdoors. I'm well aware that the first ~20 hours are going to be iffy, but at least I'll have played it.

It really is worth it, if nothing else to look at the fuckin' amazing cut scenes in full HD/Blu-Ray, talk about amazing... Be ready to watch at het beginning of chapter 7 and chap 12 especially for me anyway.

flyover

Yeah, the cutscenes are gorgeous. They're jaw-dropping spectacle. But I had mixed feelings about them in the context of the game.

So many of them were the exact same thing: characters are whizzing around around on some flying vehicle or another, either surfing on top or hanging on by their fingertips.

Those scenes were cool, but they didn't add any dramatic tension -- except for wondering whether the characters will fall off and die -- or offer much to the narrative. Plus the scenes (especially the chapter 12 opening) fell into the typical FF trap of your characters doing all the coolest stuff in the game when you're not actually controlling them (e.g., the Garden battle in FF8 and pretty much the entirety of Dirge of Cerberus).

Like I said, mixed feelings about the cutscenes, but damn they're purty.

DonMigs85

Cornbread78 said:
It really is worth it, if nothing else to look at the fuckin' amazing cut scenes in full HD/Blu-Ray, talk about amazing... Be ready to watch at het beginning of chapter 7 and chap 12 especially for me anyway.
This game could really use some sort of theater mode. Heck, you could do it in the Lunar games back in the PS1 days.

ithorien

Just picked the game back up since buying it at launch. I played for ~12 hours when it came out, and put it aside for something else. I remember liking it back then.

Now I'm back into it, and I'm having a hard time. Pacing is pretty irregular, the accents on Vanille and Fang drive me a little crazy, and I am despising the forced 2 man party. And ugh, the story. I love JRPGs, but this is so far beyond. I'd say the core of the battle system is the biggest thing still keeping me interested, but even that is getting a little stale.

How much longer til freedom, or at least 3 man parties?

Cornbread78

ithorien said:
Just picked the game back up since buying it at launch. I played for ~12 hours when it came out, and put it aside for something else. I remember liking it back then.

Now I'm back into it, and I'm having a hard time. Pacing is pretty irregular, the accents on Vanille and Fang drive me a little crazy, and I am despising the forced 2 man party. And ugh, the story. I love JRPGs, but this is so far beyond. I'd say the core of the battle system is the biggest thing still keeping me interested, but even that is getting a little stale.

How much longer til freedom, or at least 3 man parties?

It's going to take a little bit of time. Chapter 11 is where the game really opens up for you, but the smaller parties are actually a good way for the game to give you an idea of what the characters can do ahead of time.

DonMigs85 said:
This game could really use some sort of theater mode. Heck, you could do it in the Lunar games back in the PS1 days.

Agreed, I'd love to be able to play through those cutscenes again without doing the boss battles beforehand again. So much to see, so fast! Especially Chapter 12 intro....

ithorien

Cornbread78 said:
but the smaller parties are actually a good way for the game to give you an idea of what the characters can do ahead of time.

I just dislike the issues that come with only having two characters, like staggering certain opponents, or the difficulties dealing with "cheating" enemies that just love to spam an AoE attack over and over and over. It just seems like the 2 man system is built around hitting L1 as much as you can.

Now, if that's the way the rest of the game goes, and changing paradigms very often is just how the system is built, then I stand corrected and I'll just try to adjust.

Trying to 5-star the final boss for the trophy, it says target time is 1:55 (with Watch equipped) and I keep beating it around 1:33. What gives?

CrankyJay

Banned
Got to the point where I can take out turtles without spamming Death. It's certainly a ton faster than trying to build up enough TP in between turtle fights.

I have 5/6 tier 3 weapons. Thinking of dismantling Nirvana or Kain to get the last trap.

Then it's on to upgrading accessories and 5-starring all of the missions. I'm at about 85-90 hours right now.

Jrmint

I loved this game, pissed off that I still havent been able to finish it because it crashed my PS3.

This happen to anyone else?

Jrmint

CrankyJay said:
Did you try a different disc?
Yep, Gamestop replaced my disk and it still did not work. This is a well documented issue on youtube and whatnot.

Basically what happens is I play fine for a half hour or so, then the music cuts out, then it freezes.

It has basically destroyed my blu-ray drive in the PS3, same thing happens with Bluray movies now.

I haven't gotten rid of it though bc it is the old 60 gig. So at this point its an upscaling PS2/DVD Player :(.

CrankyJay

Banned
Much to my surprise I had 4 traps drop in the last 3 days and distmantled a fully upgraded Nirvana to get the rest.

On to accessories upgrades and mission completions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom