• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - First Expansion, Spring 2015

Welllllll, DRK is tank is such a bummer that I'm reconsidering going back to 14. It is the one job that I was looking forward to playing since 2.0. I mean, why the heck does it have to be tank? DRK signature thing is self-dmg to deal even more dmg to enemies. How is that going to work as tank?

My main character since the beginning of MMORPGs was a Shadow Knight in EverQuest, Death Knight in WoW, etc... always an evil knight.

And they use 2h greatsword????????

I'm hella happy.

Dark Knight has been confirmed for Heavensward at the London Fanfest:

Additional details from London include a black chocobo capable of flight, two additional beast tribes, and the primals Bismarck and Ravana (a new creature original to FF).

Of course, there was a tease for another job.

ugh so ready

jiggle

it wasnt even that, the quality blur and cutscenes along with the graphics were just insanely good. i wish we could have that back, or at least the scale, a lot of scale was lost in a realm reborn.

I loved the way everything glowed/bloomed for no reason
Like, who needs a novus?
Not being facetious

I know we're all hyped for XV, but man I hope XVI takes us back to a more I-V / IX,XI, and XIV style universe. That CG just makes me want it even more.

I've been waiting for an offline, mainline FF game like for YEARS.

I hope it takes us back to Ivalice. Maybe not XII (unless they change some of that horrid outfit design) but yeah... Ivalice needs to happen.
As much as I love Ivalice, without Matsuno, I'm not sure how it can go on. And I, personally, am not a fan of more than one installment in the main series taking place in the the same world. At the least, while FFVII and FFX are "connected", they are still separate planets. New installment, new world, new possibilities.

I just saw they were adding flying mounts - pretty surprised they are adding them so early. It's cool, but chocobos look so weird to me flying, lol. Also, Dark Knights a tank? Whattt?

Are they adding another healing class or job?

Shamdeo

Seriously Dark Knight a tank?

Yes.

Maybe we should put this in the OP... and thread title too... x_x

ib29VSoKjfZYem.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
edit: also with a name like dark knight, did you really think it was going to be a dps?
YSiA7.gif
It was in FFXI.

XIV needed more tanks badly, though, so this is good news.

new tank class?

OHHHHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

edit: also with a name like dark knight, did you really think it was going to be a dps?
YSiA7.gif

Dark Knights have always been a heavy hitting class.
But I'm ok with DRKs being tanks. We don't need more DPS classes until we get some more tanks and healers. Heres to hoping the gun class turns out to be Chemist.

Ploid 3.0

This strange post-Tanakalyptic hellscape where Ninja are DPS and Dark Knights are tanks...

DOESN'T SIT RIGHT

I kinda wonder how they expected people to play Ninja in FFXI as anything but a tank. I was expecting them to just go ahead and make it a all out tank in FFXIV, and like all classes or jobs for this game I was totally off the mark.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Welllllll, DRK is tank is such a bummer that I'm reconsidering going back to 14. It is the one job that I was looking forward to playing since 2.0. I mean, why the heck does it have to be tank? DRK signature thing is self-dmg to deal even more dmg to enemies. How is that going to work as tank?

Wait what? Do you realize how super fucked queues would be if DRK was DPS? We NEED more tanks. This is good for the community.

Wait what? Do you realize how super fucked queues would be if DRK was DPS? We NEED more tanks. This is good for the community.

I'm excited about DRK as a tank because it's something DIFFERENT. I'll certainly try it out. Maybe I'll enjoy it.

And that's EXACTLY what Yoshi-P wants.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm excited about DRK as a tank because it's something DIFFERENT. I'll certainly try it out. Maybe I'll enjoy it.

And that's EXACTLY what Yoshi-P wants.

I want to make a tank but don't really like how PLD and WAR play. More choices are perfect for someone like me.

Zetta

Holy hell does DRK look cool. I've always assumed that DRK was going to be a tank since this game is in serious need of more tank. The flying mounts and the beastmen/primals look great as well, this expansion can't come any sooner. You gotta love Yoshi-P and his team for all the work they have done, this game is so fun right now and can't wait to see what else is in store. Hopefully for the fanfest in Japan we get more news on the Gold Saucer, that's something that will have me hooked for a good time.

phierce

My main character since the beginning of MMORPGs was a Shadow Knight in EverQuest, Death Knight in WoW, etc... always an evil knight.

And they use 2h greatsword????????

I'm hella happy.

ugh so ready
Yes. Please.

Please make the Dark Knight similar to SK from EQ days.

Please YoshiP!

Khrno

I hope DRK ends up having a high parry mechanic, that's what the huge sword is for, since they won't be dealing damage with it, at least block it. Have self heals through Drains, and self buffs through Absorbs.

And just gimp the spells for PVP, so we can enjoy tanking PVE as DRK.

Prototype

I just hope that dark Knight still does damage... Big swords are my favorite weapons and it's partly because they always do huge damage in games.

I actually play a pld and really enjoy tanking and I'll certainly play dark Knight, I just hope those 2 handed great swords aren't just there for show and that the job will be able to put out some serious damage. Edit. Tank/dps hybrid. Could be cool.

That DRK art is awesome...

Kinda funny how the Ninja ended up being a DPS and DRK a tank though.

What's next, the SAM goes FF Tactics and becomes a Draw buffer/healer? (Which would actually be pretty cool; more of a Tank that Tanks through Blade Grasp and Buffs,Self-heals, Debuffs)

alstein

I think sometimes the 1 healer/1 tank/2 DPS model limits the chance for true hybrid classes that can DPS or tank as needed.

Teknoman

I think sometimes the 1 healer/1 tank/2 DPS model limits the chance for true hybrid classes that can DPS or tank as needed.

Thats how I thought Warrior or Marauder would be from the start... would be nice if Dark Knight worked that way. At any rate, im glad it uses greatsword, since now I can continue in the footsteps of the best FF main character:

DissidiaCecilArt.png

pablito

...a different job could have ended up being a tank instead?

I'm both excited and disappointed drk is a tank. Excited because I never cared for drk dps in xi, and this will be a cool looking tank that I'll at least level. Disappointed because based off what war is, and what we know about drk in the past, they seem similar. I'm hoping they'll be different, otherwise it's a waste.

Ala Alba

Yeah, but I personally think it is far easier to fit an iconic FF job to a dps role than it is to fit it to a tank role. Because of that, IMO anything that fits a tank role should be a tank.

And some of the more iconic Dark Knights have been decidedly tanky (including Cecil).

^Yeah it's easier. I think almost a lot of classes could fit other roles though. I mean, a lot of it is just that MMOs for whatever reason think a tank has to be heavily armoured. You could have mage tanks though that mitigate damage through debuffs and self-shields, or healer tanks that mitigate damage through heals and buffs.

I guess it just depends on how each Job is perceived. I mean, the SAM can actually do a lot in FF Tactics. SAM is one of the best healing/buff units in the game, really. I mean, it's no Calculator but until that point, a SAM using Draw is pretty good at being a healer and buffer. SAM also has Blade Grasp. You could make a case for the SAM to be a tank that basically tanks through parries and self-buffs/enemy debuffs. But at the same time, so many people still think Two Hands first when they think FFT, or Chain-starter DPS if they think FF XI.

Maybe NIN is even better example. Two Swords in FFT makes a lot of people think melee DPS but whether it was Shadow's Throw or even Ninja's in FFT as NPCs or before you really start Two Swords-ing Great Swords, using Throw and even magic, you got a case for ranged DPS, too. And, of course, Tank a la FF XI. So, do you go with what fans most associate with FF Ninjas or go with what the game needs.

Personally, I think I'd have went with SAM first for another FF XIV Tank. And then NIN as a Tank, too, if we really needed one; if not then both NIN and DRK as DPS. I think I'd take DRK as Tank last because I think SAMs and NINs were at least sometimes more often used as Tanks in the past. But DRK? FFT DRKs were pretty DPS focused with their Darkness sword attacks, FF X-2 was pretty DPS focused with all the sacrifice-HP or sacrifice-life DPS abilities, and obviously FF XI, too.

All that said, I don't really mind either way. FF XIV is totally free to try new things. I mean, before FF XI, people probably would have balked at NIN tanks... but it turned out pretty cool. So I'm all for new Job roles, too... I didn't write the above reply because I felt it had to be that way; just having fun thinking about how things could work :p

thetrin

I'm both excited and disappointed drk is a tank. Excited because I never cared for drk dps in xi, and this will be a cool looking tank that I'll at least level. Disappointed because based off what war is, and what we know about drk in the past, they seem similar. I'm hoping they'll be different, otherwise it's a waste.

Considering that we have 2 Tank jobs and 5 DPS jobs, it's either DRK becomes a tank, or DRK gets added to the bloated DPS roster just before the heat death of the universe.

This is a far better scenario, imo.

LaneDS

Will pull a reverse Cecil and go PLD to DRK in the expansion. As someone who likes tanking (only 50 I have currently is PLD), I'm all about this news.

Top Bottom