• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Alex said:
This game is in way worse shape than even AoC was at launch

I disagree with you big time there.

This game will be fine, the Japanese following by itself assures that

I'm excited to see that things are changing, and they do appear to be listening to feedback in certain instances. Right now, though, the overall lack of content, menu lag, and lack of hardware mouse are enough to force me to put this on the back burner until the ps3 release. Hopefully the interface issues will all be gone by then, as well as all the improvements to the gameplay they are hinting at.

Teknoman

Druz said:
No way that Square is going to do it better than Conan or Warhammer. The combat system pretty much assures it.

Whats wrong with the combat system (aside from healing spell targeting needing to be improved)?

Clever Pun said:
I'm excited to see that things are changing, and they do appear to be listening to feedback in certain instances. Right now, though, the overall lack of content, menu lag, and lack of hardware mouse are enough to force me to put this on the back burner until the ps3 release. Hopefully the interface issues will all be gone by then, as well as all the improvements to the gameplay they are hinting at.

Dunno about lack of content, since we dont really know how much will be available at start, but menu lag and hardware mouse should be fixed by release.

jiggle

awesome CGI opening
pissed that it saids trailer
but is actually the entire opening
watched it all anyway XD

YES YES YES more hairstyles and changeable!!!
lame about the mp management part
what a total lie that they've always wanted this
i recall they said something to the contrary long ago

sounds like there will be NMs both in and out of leves?
the ones out of leves will certainly be monopolized :/

what is battle regiments?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wish they would fix or get rid of the repair system. As it stands now in the beta, it is completely fucking stupid.

Every party you will be in will have that stupid yellow or red repair icon next to everyone's name.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
I wish they would fix or get rid of the repair system. As it stands now in the beta, it is completely fucking stupid.

Every party you will be in will have that stupid yellow or red repair icon next to everyone's name.

I guess thats the case for people being able to repair items on the fly with certain craft skills...then again, you'd probably have to have the items on hand. You could just warp back and get it fixed though.

jiggle said:

Think something like this, except less flashy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2sIRfilYb4

* when the combo effects happen after attacks.

jsrv

jiggle said:
awesome CGI opening
pissed that it saids trailer
but is actually the entire opening
watched it all anyway XD

YES YES YES more hairstyles and changeable!!!
lame about the mp management part
what a total lie that they've always wanted this
i recall they said something to the contrary long ago

sounds like there will be NMs both in and out of leves?
the ones out of leves will certainly be monopolized :/

Unfortunately they didn't mention the new hair styles being available immediately at retail... I think they will eventually be available later on as a gil sink to help balance the economy. I hope I'm wrong though.

The following is a list of some of the things we have planned for the upcoming release:
* Implementation of a hardware mouse feature
* Introduction of discounted monthly fee payment plans (3-month plan in Japan/ 3 and 6 month plans in North America and Europe)
* Raising of the level cap to 50
* Adjustment of the Armoury System UI so player abilities will not reset when changing classes.
From: http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/event/prelive/report_en.html

I'm guessing these are going to be the biggest updates at launch time since they were mentioned at all in the list, while everything else is an in-progress thing

Londa said:
Adding another CE preorder to show my support. :D
I kind of want the CE edition for the journal/artbook thing, but at the same time I'd really rather have the Garlond goggles over the Onion helm. Am I the only one stuck in this dilemma?

jiggle

from reading it it sounds like skill chain + magicburst from xi
can we do regiments in beta now?

jsrv said:
Unfortunately they didn't mention the new hair styles being available immediately at retail... I think they will eventually be available later on as a gil sink to help balance the economy. I hope I'm wrong though.

either way it's good news in my eyes
not being locked down to something i may hate or grow tired of 3-4 years down the road
opens the door for them to continually introduce new ones without restricting to NPCs onry

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
I guess thats the case for people being able to repair items on the fly with certain craft skills...then again, you'd probably have to have the items on hand. You could just warp back and get it fixed though.
My equipment is high rank now so NPC repairs cost me upwards of 40,000 gil.

The items I need for repairs are high level so it's hard to find, and even if I waste time with this stupid market ward system for 30 minutes, I still can't find the proper item.

Even when I do acquire the proper items, I need to find a person with sufficient craft skill to repair it, otherwise he'll fail.

At this point, I might as well just keep purchasing new armor and equipment all the time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
jiggle said:
from reading it it sounds like skill chain + magicburst from xi
can we do regiments in beta now?
There's something wrong with them now. I've tried, and it's only worked about one in twenty times. Even when we do exactly the same thing that made it work one time, it will not work again the second time.

It's totally stupid.

Torquill

So my plan is to get a full suite of leves, kill all bu one target in each, hit windows key to dc.l, failing each after getting most of the exta rank points possible, return to town and reget them.

There is a design problem here. Either it's abusable or you have to have draconian restrictions. Perhaps they should remove th bonus xp from fighting and just give it as a lump for completion. It would solve the problem.

Azrael

Rentahamster said:
Teknoman said:
My equipment is high rank now so NPC repairs cost me upwards of 40,000 gil.

The items I need for repairs are high level so it's hard to find, and even if I waste time with this stupid market ward system for 30 minutes, I still can't find the proper item.

Even when I do acquire the proper items, I need to find a person with sufficient craft skill to repair it, otherwise he'll fail.

At this point, I might as well just keep purchasing new armor and equipment all the time.

I'm afraid to even use the promo items when retail starts because of the repair mats listed for them on the database. You're going to need to be rank 20+ to repair those items yourself, so they will probably cost a fortune for NPC repairs.

jiggle

Torquill said:
There is a design problem here. Either it's abusable or you have to have draconian restrictions. Perhaps they should remove th bonus xp from fighting and just give it as a lump for completion. It would solve the problem.

what they can do is
show you the sp/xp reward you get from each kill
but don't actually reward those to you until the completion of the leve

jsrv

Azrael said:
I'm afraid to even use the promo items when retail starts because of the repair mats listed for them on the database. You're going to need to be rank 20+ to repair those items yourself, so they will probably cost a fortune for NPC repairs.

I thought repair costs were based on rank level? I think all the promo items are rank 1

Kandinsky

Rentahamster said:

Repairing shit is annoying as hell..., i have to change to like 6 classes to repair my hat, doublet, weapon, underwear, accesories, boots, pants, etc. and then after 30 mins or so i have to do the whole process again, it gets pretty pricy pretty fast as well, because on top of that you need fking materials:lol

kiryogi

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Repairing shit is annoying as hell..., i have to change to like 6 classes to repair my hat, doublet, weapon, underwear, accesories, boots, pants, etc. and then after 30 mins or so i have to the whole process again, it gets pretty pricy pretty fast as well, because on top of that you need fking materials:lol

I'm curious. How do you repair your underwear? As far as I know, you can't remove it? Seems like NPC only.

Azrael

jsrv said:
I thought repair costs were based on rank level? I think all the promo items are rank 1

We'll see. They require items like Boar Leather and Iron Plates for self-repair, so I have a feeling they are going to be expensive for NPC repair.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kandinsky said:
Repairing shit is annoying as hell..., i have to change to like 6 classes to repair my hat, doublet, weapon, underwear, accesories, boots, pants, etc. and then after 30 mins or so i have to do the whole process again, it gets pretty pricy pretty fast as well, because on top of that you need fking materials:lol
Seriously, it's not an awful idea in general, but the implementation with the crazy expensive costs, horrible UI, laggy selections, and stupid bazaar system, the whole repair system is totally retarded and aggravating.

Let me in

Unknown Soldier said:
For anyone who hasn't preordered the CE yet, Amazon.com lowered the price for Same-Day Delivery to $1 extra over free Super-Saver Shipping.
Thanks! I had it preordered on the GameStop site when they offered free overnight, but I'd rather get my Amazon points and give them the business. Plus, saves me $5 in tax!

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
For anyone who hasn't preordered the CE yet, Amazon.com lowered the price for Same-Day Delivery to $1 extra over free Super-Saver Shipping.

Awesome, hope they keep doing that for all big titles.

Chris R

Raging Spaniard said:
I disagree with you big time there.

This game will be fine, the Japanese following by itself assures that
Exactly. Game has a decent sized following that will look past the flaws and play from launch no matter what. Conan had hype, but not a following like FFXIV does. Gameplay wise the games are about equal at launch (aka nigh unplayable) but the massive cash flow into FFXIV might be enough to turn it around in a year or so.

Teknoman

At risk of sounding like a fanboy, how is FFXIV currently nigh unplayable?

Maybe its just the fact that i've experienced the game at 30-60 since I got into beta and only used a 360 gamepad...but despite the necessary improvements by launch/post launch, I dont think its any near being unplayable in the least bit.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Teknoman said:

Maybe its just the fact that i've experienced the game at 30-60 since I got into beta and only used a 360 gamepad...but despite the necessary improvements by launch/post launch, I dont think its any near being unplayable in the least bit.

You know how GAF rolls, if it doesnt run at 60, have Xbajillion antialising and has a feature that displeases would-be-game-developers in this forum = unplayable

Not referring to rhfb, just in general

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I think I'll try my hand at goldsmithing, since repairing jewelry is the only thing that NPCs can't repair.

What sort of strategy has been helpful to the rest of you in leveling up crafting? What recipes should I start out with? Does the goldsmith guild even help out with anything? Is there a purpose to paying the goldsmith guild to use their facilities?

Teknoman

Got a point there...

EDIT: I'm going to mine/quarry and chop down trees like crazy to help you guys get set up materials wise.

I guess leathercraft stuff will come from whatever drops we find off monsters?

Seems like the most exciting thing about this is getting in on the ground floor.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Raging Spaniard said:
You know how GAF rolls, if it doesnt run at 60, have Xbajillion antialising and has a feature that displeases would-be-game-developers in this forum = unplayable

You may be referring to GAF in general, but there's is absolutely no denying that this game is unoptimized as fuck at this point in time. There is nothing seen in this game that should cause such poor performances in current set ups that PC gaffers run. It's just an unoptimized as FFXI's PC port is.

You can throw that generalization around all you like, but modest rigs should be chewing up and spitting this game out with no problems. Game can't even display its shadows correctly.

kiryogi

Banned
Rentahamster said:
So I think I'll try my hand at goldsmithing, since repairing jewelry is the only thing that NPCs can't repair.

What sort of strategy has been helpful to the rest of you in leveling up crafting? What recipes should I start out with? Does the goldsmith guild even help out with anything? Is there a purpose to paying the goldsmith guild to use their facilities?

Facilities supposedly increase your success rate. My strat so far has been mainly doing the local leves and making stuff for my self and climbing up gradually. Since realistically you can't do any higher crafts until you're the proper rank. Just play with bronze nuggets.

Teknoman

I'm not going to lie, that IGN video about fatigue actually has me thinking it makes sense/isnt as bad as people thought it was going to be.

Really it just seems like the limit break stuff without having to do a quest to break said limit...sorta.

Kintaro said:
You may be referring to GAF in general, but there's is absolutely no denying that this game is unoptimized as fuck at this point in time. There is nothing seen in this game that should cause such poor performances in current set ups that PC gaffers run. It's just an unoptimized as FFXI's PC port is.

You can throw that generalization around all you like, but modest rigs should be chewing up and spitting this game out with no problems. Game can't even display its shadows correctly.

Whats wrong with the shadows?

TheFatOne

Teknoman said:

Bingo we have a winner. Play the game at 15FPS with tons of stuttering. Game is unplayable when I hit any city. I avoid cities and crystals like the plague. When I try to do anything with a lot of people concentrated in one area the game can become unplayable.

Raging Spaniard said:

You are wrong on this one. I would gladly take a steady 30FPS in this game with no AA. It's not that the game isn't a steady 60FPS with 4*AA. The problem is that it isn't a steady 15FPS with no AA at 1280*1024

Teknoman

So you even get frame drops that severe even with ambient occlusion off, no d3doverrider, etc.?

That just sounds the game is really unoptimized, not unplayable. I would think unplayable means, no matter what PC or console you play the game on, you'll have a horrible time.

Also what would you need to do to make an official topic, since no one else seems to have stepped up for it (unless someone has one in the works that i'm not aware of).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Teknoman said:
Whats wrong with the shadows?

Uh...they're rather poor? Especially on curved surfaces (clothes, faces, environments). Also, the way they're rendered makes the game that much more stale. This is on highest setting btw.

Teknoman said:
Also what would you need to do to make an official topic, since no one else seems to have stepped up for it (unless someone has one in the works that i'm not aware of).

You need to stomach being doing free PR for the game and have a lot of time on your hands? :lol I dunno. I pity whoever does it though because there's no way you can explain the systems in the game without them sounding completely shitty.

TheFatOne

Teknoman said:
So you even get frame drops that severe even with ambient occlusion off, no d3doverrider, etc.?

That just sounds the game is really unoptimized, not unplayable. I would think unplayable means, no matter what PC or console you play the game on, you'll have a horrible time.

Yup. There are a few spots were the game is truly unplayable. Right near the first crystal in Gridania. I almost quit playing and canceled my preorder when I tried to train there. Once I got away from the heavily populated areas the game was 1000 times better. The main quest was incredibly frustrating because of the frame rate dips and all the stuttering.

Teknoman said:

I would say at 15 fps on a PC, it is indeed unplayable.. particularly without hardware mouse support (which they say is coming yay!) unless you're going to use a gamepad.. which most PC gamers would not want to do.

At less than 30 fps, the mouse movement is laggy and horrible.. it feels better as the framerate goes up. Menu navigation improves too, in my experience.. so the mouse cursor is not the only problem..

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
Uh...they're rather poor? Especially on curved surfaces (clothes, faces, environments). Also, the way they're rendered makes the game that much more stale. This is on highest setting btw.

You need to stomach being doing free PR for the game and have a lot of time on your hands? :lol I dunno. I pity whoever does it though because there's no way you can explain the systems in the game without them sounding completely shitty.

Thats what I was afraid off :lol Scratch that idea. As far as shadows go, I usually only pay attention to my own and maybe a monster, so I guess I never really noticed that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC510DpbU0

Things that aren't actually in the game, yet which are in the awesome opening cinematic:
Jumping (lol)
Big fucking Malboros
The ability to play with guildleve cards on the counter
The ability to merge skills (fire spell + archer's arrow)
Epic airship battles against Bahamut
The Twelve themselves
Huge airship crashes (this isn't FFXII)
Fuck, there aren't any airships at all yet!
The war between Garlea and the city-states of Eorzea

Other than that, pretty awesome opening cinematic which is certainly representative of the game as it is going to launch, amirite?? :lol

Actually, that opening cinematic was very similar to FFXII's opening cinematic, which features a huge battle between armies and airships which was totally fucking epic. And then the whole game of FFXII was your fucking party walking to every goddamn place they had to go. :lol

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC510DpbU0

Things that aren't actually in the game, yet which are in the awesome opening cinematic:
Jumping (lol)
Big fucking Malboros
The ability to play with guildleve cards on the counter
The ability to merge skills (fire spell + archer's arrow)
Epic airship battles against Bahamut
The Twelve themselves
Huge airship crashes (this isn't FFXII)
Fuck, there aren't any airships at all yet!
The war between Garlea and the city-states of Eorzea

Other than that, pretty awesome opening cinematic which is certainly representative of the game as it is going to launch, amirite?? :lol

Actually, that opening cinematic was very similar to FFXII's opening cinematic, which features a huge battle between armies and airships which was totally fucking epic. And then the whole game of FFXII was your fucking party walking to every goddamn place they had to go. :lol

The bolded actually are in the game...well sorta with the fire spell merge since that could either be a battle regimen or just enfire. Im just glad the NMs will actually look different and be larger than normal versions of the enemies. That should've been something day 1 back in XI.

Were those really the twelve though? Looked like the summons/eidolons/espers/whatever the beastmen worship.

Chris R

Teknoman said:

I'm not talking about framerate. I was able to get the game running semi-decent with my mediocre rig (Q9550, R4870) and medium/low settings.

The nigh unplayable was referring to basically everything else about the game. I'm just so disappointed at how little SE has learned about PC games and MMOs in general since launching FFXI. Yes, there are great steps forward (faster combat, solobility, ect) but it seems like for every step forward there are two giant steps back. Like I said though, there will be cash flow, so the game still has a chance of being something I want to play in a period of 12-18 months. It just isn't even close to the mark right now, but I hope it gets there.

nataku

Teknoman said:
Thats what I was afraid off :lol Scratch that idea. As far as shadows go, I usually only pay attention to my own and maybe a monster, so I guess I never really noticed that.

It's mostly noticeable in cutscenes. The shadows at everyones feet look great at the higher two settings, but the self shadowing is horribly ugly no matter what setting you use.

Teknoman said:
The bolded actually are in the game...well sorta with the fire spell merge since that could either be a battle regimen or just enfire. Im just glad the NMs will actually look different and be larger than normal versions of the enemies. That should've been something day 1 back in XI.

So when do we get to fight the Giant Enemy Malboro? Has anyone actually even seen it in the game yet? Is he actually an accessible fight early in the game? I would certainly hope we won't spent 49 levels killing rats and coblyns and dodos before we get to the GEM. :lol

And the whole second part of his dream sequence with the airships is still completely bullshit. Maybe 5 years down the road in the 3rd expansion there will be huge airship battles, but anytime near launch? Yeah, right. :lol

Were those really the twelve though? Looked like the summons/eidolons/espers/whatever the beastmen worship.

They came out of Bahamut, so I'm not sure. Unless Bahamut is the avatar of the Twelve or something.

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
So when do we get to fight the Giant Enemy Malboro? Has anyone actually even seen it in the game yet? Is he actually an accessible fight early in the game? I would certainly hope we won't spent 49 levels killing rats and coblyns and dodos before we get to the GEM. :lol

And the whole second part of his dream sequence with the airships is still completely bullshit. Maybe 5 years down the road in the 3rd expansion there will be huge airship battles, but anytime near launch? Yeah, right. :lol

They came out of Bahamut, so I'm not sure. Unless Bahamut is the avatar of the Twelve or something.

Someone got busted up by a malboro in beta...not sure if it was someone here or on another forum though. I want to see how the enemy dismemberment works/if the monster actually staggers.

Teknoman said:
Someone got busted up by a malboro in beta...not sure if it was someone here or on another forum though. I want to see how the enemy dismemberment works/if the monster actually staggers.

I am seeing the FFXIII influence as well in FFXIV. I think it would be cool if they implement monster stagger the way it's implemented in FFXIII, it really gives you a reason to pile on certain damage types to reach a goal other than just whittle the HP bar to zero. And yeah, I'm hoping to cut the Giant Enemy Malboro's tentacles off one after another.

Top Bottom