• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Salaadin

Kintaro said:
The sooner the better. From the sounds of it, they're being thickheaded about it. By the time it could be possibly added, it would be well too late.

Also, let us not forget how limited the retainer system is and how SE forces you to pay them $2 extra if you want to use them properly. You can only use one retainer per city state. You can't recall them to set up shop in one city state if they are in another one. So, basically, at least to be able to reach your potential customers, you need to create three retainers. One for each city state. Want to make that money? So does SE. Their money is real though...

But lets say they add a search for the bazaar system. You want to find a Great Axe. Said Great Axe is in Gridania. You're in Limsa. You can't bid on that item from your location. You're never been to Gridania yet. So, you gotta hoof it. By the time you make it there, the item sold. Or, say you have been there, you have to choose between hoofing it anyway to save anima or using anima for your chance at the Great Axe.

Meanwhile, a universal AH fixed this.

It is not easy. It is not intuitive. There are reasons other major MMOs do not use this system as their sold way for players to do business. An AH is needed.

Correct me if Im wrong or if they changed this, but Im almost certain that the AH in FFXI was also city based. I distinctly remember /telling people to check for items in certain cities.

I also thought that someone here on GAF said they they were able to tell their retainer to go to other cities. I didnt see any follow up to this. I do agree thats a problem if we are stuck to whatever city we create the retainer in.

I do mostly agree with your points though. The current system is crap. I just dont see why they absolutely must have an AH if they can tweak the retainer system to be like the AH.

I guess we will see how it pans out. I really hope its fixed up for release.

Gravijah said:
Most people use buyout in AH over bidding.
What is buyout? The only way I ever bought things on the AH in FFXI was by bidding on the item.

Torquill

Kintaro said:
No AH will see this game die a horrible death. They will change their minds after the first month numbers plummet when people have to start paying. I'll believe most of the other shit when I see it (large crafting projects, etc).
Will it hurt sales? Yes, because it defies player expectations and is not as easy to use. Will it kill the game? No, it's brand power outweighs this particular issue considered in isolation.

Torquill

Can anyone think of an MMO that had an AH before FFXI. FFXI predates WoW and EQ2, and EQ1 did not have an AH at the time. (bazaar was not an AH).

Kyoufu

Salaadin said:
What is buyout? The only way I ever bought things on the AH in FFXI was by bidding on the item.

This may crush your sense of reality but.....

...wait for it...

There are other games with Auction Houses too!

Gravijah

Salaadin said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that in FFXI. In WoW, the seller can set a price for you to buy the item at. No bidding required.

Salaadin

Kyoufu said:
This may crush your sense of reality but.....

...wait for it...

There are other games with Auction Houses too!

Thank you so much for your contribution.

Gravijah said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that in FFXI. In WoW, the seller can set a price for you to buy the item at. No bidding required.

I see. Kinda like ebays "Buy it Now" =P
Well if thats the case, then if SE does back down and go the AH route, Id like to see a similar system. I always hated the bidding system in FFXI when you wanted that one item but someone raised the price by a few gil in hopes that someone lazy bids several thousand over.

Gravijah

Salaadin said:
I see. Kinda like ebays "Buy it Now" =P
Well if thats the case, then if SE does back down and go the AH route, Id like to see a similar system. I always hated the bidding system in FFXI when you wanted that one item but someone raised the price by a few gil in hopes that someone lazy bids several thousand over.

Any modern AH without a buy it now system is doing it wrong! Makes life so much easier, turns it into a marketplace instead of well... an auction house. :lol

Gravijah

faust said:
How would an AH in FFXIV deal with multiple colours of the same item and multiple levels of degradation and/or broken items?

How do bazaars deal with this problem? I don't see why an AH would handle it differently than a bazaar.

Cathcart

You'd probably only be able to sell things on the AH if they were fully repaired first. I don't see how colors would be a problem. You'd just see three or four listings for the item, one for each color.

Zalasta

I don't think you can sell damaged/broken items at all (except to vendor), at least I haven't figured out how yet. I couldn't even trade them to another player.

Honestly, other than the issue of ease of use, I think the retainer system rewards the diligent buyer (just like in real life). If you bother to compare prices, you will often find deals more than you would ever be able to with an AH. I'm not advocating for one or the other, but I don't believe that one is more necessary than the other either.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Gravijah said:
How do bazaars deal with this problem? I don't see why an AH would handle it differently than a bazaar.

Items in the bazaar need to be in mint condition. Thats why you dont see people selling their old equipment.

I dont like the idea of a universal AH. Have the players travel and go to different regions of the world to get goods is something I like. That being said, some kind of way to sort bazaar contents would be very welcome.

Teknoman

Gladiator using cure or esuna in the intro? Guess that could work since they have a decent amount of MP. Wtf at the Malboro extra mouth though, never knew that :lol

Zalasta said:
I don't think you can sell damaged/broken items at all (except to vendor), at least I haven't figured out how yet. I couldn't even trade them to another player.

Honestly, other than the issue of ease of use, I think the retainer system rewards the diligent buyer (just like in real life). If you bother to compare prices, you will often find deals more than you would ever be able to with an AH. I'm not advocating for one or the other, but I don't believe that one is more necessary than the other either.

If I want a book, I can go to a mall, and walk into one of the three bookstores and check prices and compare between the three to find the best price with ease. I don't have to walk into literally every store in the mall on chance that they may have the book I want.

Likewise, if I want to sell a book I own, I can also easily check those stores to find a good base price to work with.

Not having an AH in general is just a really really bad idea. Not having an easily searchable market system whatsoever is insanity.

The retainer system is just bad no matter how you look at it.

Gravijah

I dunno, I like very visible economies. Maybe have unlinked AHs or something, but having to go through every bazaar is blech... Being able to sort through them would be basically the same thing as an AH.

JudgeN

faust said:
How would an AH in FFXIV deal with multiple colours of the same item and multiple levels of degradation and/or broken items?

FFXI had +1/+2/+3 items so they would get there own slot in AH, just like in FFXI. I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to sell damaged items on AH, just like you can't bazaar them.

They really do need to add an AH and make it universal between cities, with as complicated as the crafting system is it will help big time.

Khrno

Salaadin said:
Someone mustve mistranslated. The guy on zam says there will be while the guy on ffxivcore says there wont.

WTF? We need Elmer to do a better translation, or SE to post a summary on the NA/EU sites.

Londa said:
It would be nice if there was both NM's in the open world and NM's in guildleves.

I really hope the FFXIVcore translation is wrong, I'll need my fill of HNM camping, even if it's Dark Ixion/Sandworm style!

Jinko

faust said:

Colour is no problem as each item colour/variation/HQ would have its own ID number, they could simply not allow you to sell damaged weapons just as WoW does.

I have seen people selling damaged/broken items in FF14 and yet i still can't do it, the sell button is always greyed out for me.

On the graphics front, by the way, I can sort of see the point where WoW *could* look better.

FFXIV requires a very high-end system to run at full quality. The game undeniably looks incredible when you do.

However, the graphics quality scales very poorly- the primary way of degrading graphics quality isn't by just using lower polycount models and whatnot as most other games do- instead its rendering the game at a lower resolution and scaling it up to whatever resolution you have your window set up at.

The end result of this leaves alot of artifacts and if you're running the game at anything below the "Full Resolution" the game looks absolutely hideous.

notworksafe

Kyoufu said:
Jumping does not suit an FF game. Just imagine people jumping every 2 seconds in FF and tell me how that looks to you.
More like Square can't even properly set up camera controls, so jumping is totally out of their league.

Also as I've seen recently, LotRO looks amazing and doesn't require a super computer to do so. Square could learn a lesson or two there.

Teknoman

Was the part about hardware mouse posted yet?

From online side:

Heading into release
Release will be here soon, so we would like to introduce the following items that will be in the release version:
- There will be hardware mouse
- There will be package discount pricing on the subscription (Japan-3months, NA/EU 3/6 months)
- Due to game balance consideration, the level cap on release will be 50
- We will change it so you do not lose disabled abilities when changing class any more. [assume this means they won't leave the ability bar, they will probably just gray]

notworksafe

Congratuations Square! You learned how people have been making PC games since 1995! I'm still somewhat skeptical though. We'll see how well this mouse control is implemented.

If this ends up being the system I wouldn't complain:

Walk into a central ward/room/market/whatever and select a central NPC. I'm looking for a body piece so the NPC shows me all the body pieces by all of the retainers stored there. I buy something and it comes from that retainer. Next I want a ring so I select ring and I see all rings available by all those retainers. I can sort by optimal rank, creator, jobs, etc.

That SAME NPC should then let me search for a marauder's great axe, etc.

I don't see why they can't do something like this. Making someone check every single bazaar is asinine and a horrible design.

Gravijah

demosthenes said:

Walk into a central ward/room/market/whatever and select a central NPC. I'm looking for a body piece so the NPC shows me all the body pieces by all of the retainers stored there. I buy something and it comes from that retainer. Next I want a ring so I select ring and I see all rings available by all those retainers. I can sort by optimal rank, creator, jobs, etc.

I don't see why they can't do something like this. Making someone check every single bazaar is asinine and a horrible design.

That's like... the same thing as an AH.

Zomba13

Teknoman said:

From online side:

Heading into release
Release will be here soon, so we would like to introduce the following items that will be in the release version:
- There will be package discount pricing on the subscription (Japan-3months, NA/EU 3/6 months)
- We will change it so you do not lose disabled abilities when changing class any more. [assume this means they won't leave the ability bar, they will probably just gray]
Actually sounds good. Wish there was a lifetime sub option like with Champions online. Just pay a fixed some and get it for life.

Teknoman said:

From online side:

Heading into release

I don't see why they don't just tie it to the weapon you have equipped.

If I set up my bar for a Marauder and then I switch to Archer, it should be blank. When I switch back to Marauder it should be what I set up on Marauder before.

notworksafe said:
No you don't. You see an unmanned NPC character that has a store full of items. There's no interaction in any way.

Read my post? Everything would be listed. You can sort by creator if you want. I'm saying what I wish it would be if we don't just get the XI Auction House.

Kyoufu said:
You see who you're buying from with an AH too....

Not in XI. You bid until you get the lowest amount, you have no idea who it's from until after.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I dont care for jumping, it looks stupid and I had my share of it. It fits WoW just fine though.

Also, people here need to be aware of the difference between preferred Art Direction and technical differences.

notworksafe

demosthenes said:
Read my post? Everything would be listed. You can sort by creator if you want. I'm saying what I wish it would be if we don't just get the XI Auction House.
Then it sounds like an Auction House. Not the shitty XI auction house, of course, but that was garbage. It sounds like you want a real MMO AH (i.e. every game but XI)

Kyoufu said:
Yeah well, XI's AH is old and outdated.

Well you weren't exactly clear when you said AH, and I guess I wasn't either :lol

notworksafe said:
Then it sounds like an Auction House. Not the shitty XI auction house, of course, but that was garbage. It sounds like you want a real MMO AH (i.e. every game but XI)

Ah, well then. There is my problem, I'm very limited in my AH experiences as my experience with MMOs on the whole is low. LONG LIVE THE AH THEN! :lol

notworksafe

The XI auction house was overly limited in silly ways that made no sense. Only six (iirc) items? Why? I can't buyout? I can't even what the item is currently bidding at?!

The one good thing was that it gave a complete item list. That was neat, but still not worth the rest of the hassle.

Gravijah said:
Can you even search by name in the FFXI AH?
Been a while, but IIRC you just hit up a list of all auctionable items and it told you if any of them were being sold right then.

Gravijah

notworksafe said:
The XI auction house was overly limited in silly ways that made no sense. Only six (iirc) items? Why? I can't buyout? I can't even what the item is currently bidding at?!

The one good thing was that it gave a complete item list. That was neat, but still not worth the rest of the hassle.

Pretty sure it was more than 6. 9-10 sounds more like it. Like that's any better!

Zomba13

Why does it matter who you buy something from anyway? I mean with the retainer system you don't know who you've bought from, not even after as all you get is the retainers name (like wtbauctionhouse).

Jinko

demosthenes said:

I totally agree with you, but what you suggest is kind of like a storage box where people can sell stuff from, I think SE wants the retainers to be like your own personal shop assistant.

I have said from the very start that they should scrap retainers, I would like to see some NPC sell/buy system, where the NPC only stocks the items that other people have sold to it.

This way the prices would be determined by the NPC and the econemy would be stable.

notworksafe

Zomba13 said:
Why does it matter who you buy something from anyway? I mean with the retainer system you don't know who you've bought from, not even after as all you get is the retainers name (like wtbauctionhouse).
I see the point to it. It helps people feel like they are part of a living, breathing world. There will still be open trade even with an AH. On higher priced items, it just doesn't make sense to pay the AH fee so people will be selling them in chat channels or on retainers.

Jinko

The sad thing is you can't even shout for an item because the radius is so small and most people are likely to be at an Aethertye anyway.

A seperate tab for trade would be nice.

Gravijah

Jinko said:
The sad thing is you can't even shout for an item because the radius is so small and most people are likely to be at an Aethertye anyway.

Are there channels?

Kyoufu

Jinko said:

You mean I can't shout for an item because all people ever see is

[Kledidele Chgslrlrl] CHEAP FFXIV Gil 100k=4USD FREE PRAWN CRACKERS

Jinko

Kyoufu said:
You mean I can't shout for an item because all people ever see is

True but then SE are dumb if they can't set up an auto kick/ban system when someone spams the same message constantly, especially when key words like those above are present.

Hell they could give us shout fatigue :p (Your voice becomes hoarse and you can no long shout)

Top Bottom