• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Belfast

Unknown Soldier said:
This must be some kind of joke. :lol

WoW is WoW. If you like the cel-shaded look, nothing surpasses WoW except maybe games which go specifically for the comic-look like City of Heroes/Villains or Champions Online. Otherwise WoW is as technically obsolete as an MMOG of it's age can be. Cataclysm should really revamp WoW's look to be more modern, but right now comparing WoW and any modern MMOG is laughable.

LOTRO sounds technically impressive (DX10 support! Fuckalax Mapping! Full realtime environmental shadowing system with Fuck-All Technology!) but I can tell you that I played LOTRO for about 3 months and the art design is shit and the environment design is shit and the characters all looked like shit. I'm sorry, a DX10 engine doesn't make a game look good, it just adds wierd shadow glitches that Turbine didn't fix during my time playing it. Hell, Turbine has one of the worst reputations for introducing new fuck-all engine features without fixing the old ones so they actually work. Turbine is shit, and LOTRO is shit. I quit that game after 3 months and all I could think about was how criminally Turbine wasted the Lord of the Rings license on the most generic, bland, boring, WoW-clone MMOG they could possibly have made. Talk about playing it so safe that you might as well play WoW, LOTRO was the poster child for playing it so safe that the game literally bores you to death. :lol

WoW? Cel-shaded? WHAT?! Your argument was invalid the second you started typing this post.

Allard

The video at the end is the opening sequence (IE Tavnazia Invasion Sequence from FFXI).

Also for those that didn't understand the moon speak. Here is some of the new stuff they mentioned.

Credits to Rinsui on ZAM

Fast summary:
- Physical stat distribution will affect both crafting and gathering classes.
- There will be "open world" NMs outside of guildleves.
- Crafters will be able to cooperate in large-scale projects (cannon, boat, wedding cake).
- There will be guildleves where crafters and fighters/mages have to cooperate.
- The frequency of guildleve issue will be raised (or the time between issues lowered below 48 hours).
- In turn, anima regeneration will have to be raised (as travel back to town will become more frequent)
- New hairstyles will be added, as well as the ability to change hairstyle after character creation.
- The faction leves will see you fight beastmen tribes.

kiryogi

Banned
Fast summary:
- Crafters will be able to cooperate in large-scale projects (cannon, boat, wedding cake).
- The frequency of guildleve issue will be raised (or the time between issues lowered below 48 hours).
- In turn, anima regeneration will have to be raised (as travel back to town will become more frequent)
- New hairstyles will be added, as well as the ability to change hairstyle after character creation.

YES! And neat that they're really enforcing crafting with all this teamwork/collaborations. And yes, yay for more frequent leves.

Zaptruder

Banned
I love Final Fantasy art... it's also why I loathe the general incompetence and obstinacy of their design team.

Like I said a long time ago; the fact that they don't tend to take many cues from other games means that they'll come up with some interesting stuff... while most of it will just be painful and crap.

Torquill

I'll beleve the group crafting when I see it. Games have promised it before and, to my knowledge, has never been delivered.

Kyoufu

Fast summary:

YES

YES

YES

TheExodu5 said:
Aside from polycounts, WoW and especially LOTRO look way better than FF XIV.

WoW and LOTRO both look great but you have to be on some serious drugs to think they look better than FFXIV.

LowParry

Kyoufu said:
WoW and LOTRO both look great but you have to be on some serious drugs to think they look better than FFXIV.

I'm surprised that no one has trolled the fact of no jumping. :lol

WoW looks pretty good in Cata now. LotRO...no idea.

Kyoufu

CcrooK said:
I'm surprised that no one has trolled the fact of no jumping. :lol

WoW looks pretty good in Cata now. LotRO...no idea.

Jumping does not suit an FF game. Just imagine people jumping every 2 seconds in FF and tell me how that looks to you.

Londa

Banned
there is a offcial report of the event here:

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/event/prelive/report.html

Someone on BG translated a part of it, something about bartering with npcs. This is what they said:

About the barter system: when you talk with the NPC, if you choose the correct options, and then give him what he wants, you will receive something in return (plus, if all goes we'll there's a chance for some bonus). < that's a quick translation

looks like quests outside of leve's are back.

Londa

Banned
More stuff translated from the notes:

In addition than what's been mentioned up to now, they are preparing large scale battles, the epitome of MMORPG gaming. Also you probably noticed some skills and abilities that made you think "what's this for?", and the answer is PVP. We don't have much details to say about it now but please look forward to more reports (tgs?)

I'm not going to get excited about PVP in this game. I will wait for more reports.

Relationship Crafting/Gathering & PC Status: PC's physical level & attributes will have an effect on crafting and gathering. There are hints in the game as to what does what, so please search for it.

Crafting

Physical: Closely related to the tool being used and will particularly affect quality

Attributes: related to "Godsend" [I think these are the extra result/HQ result] probability & "attribute stability" [?]

Gathering

Physical: Affects difficulty in obtaining items in the "gather" phase as well as the number of items obtained

[translator note].. this is a literal translation of "physical" and "attribute" I wasn't sure here if they're talking about skill level or what, but judging from the use of katakana for Physical, I must assume it means physical level, even though that sounds odd to have an effect here.

So no one answered my question on how crafting works in this game. You cant craft unless one of your classes are a disciple of the hand? Is there a way to change your class?

Kyoufu

YuriLowell said:
So no one answered my question on how crafting works in this game. You cant craft unless one of your classes are a disciple of the hand? Is there a way to change your class?

You buy the necessary tools from an NPC. Equipping them changes your current class into that, for example, a Goldsmith. You then synthesise. Equip different tools to change into different crafting/gathering classes.

NMs are a waste of time and would just be littered with gil-seller RMT groups.

kiryogi

Banned
They seem to be pretty blatant about the bazaar system. No AH it is!

Market: We don't want crafters and gatherers to simply "put up" their items on the market and that's it. We want them to also act as salesmen and learn to play the market intelligently. For this purpose, we will begin with focus on the Bazaar market system. On that note, in order to be able to tell "What's for sale?" etc, we are planning to adjust policy and add functionality to improve the user friendliness.

Intelligently huh, so I guess we really do need to play the market. D: Memories of my days as a merchant in RO resurface. XD

desu

kiryogi said:
Intelligently huh, so I guess we really do need to play the market. D: Memories of my days as a merchant in RO resurface. XD

Wow that gives me nightmares ... just horrible.

Kyoufu

The game needs an auction house. I didn't buy anything in the beta because I couldn't find anyone selling anything I could use.

Londa

Banned
Khrno said:
FFXIVcore have a good summary of the conference.

Saddest day of the year :(

Change the weapon for another weapon or tool. Where do you get other weapons/tools? *gasp* try a shop.

hopefully they change their mind about No NM's outside of Guildleves. Because as of right now you can only have 8 guildleves a session. It would be nice if there was both NM's in the open world and NM's in guildleves.

Kyoufu said:
You buy the necessary tools from an NPC. Equipping them changes your current class into that, for example, a Goldsmith. You then synthesise. Equip different tools to change into different crafting/gathering classes.

NMs are a waste of time and would just be littered with gil-seller RMT groups.

Thanks. Ill go grab some tools next time I log in.

Londa said:
hopefully they change their mind about No NM's outside of Guildleves. Because as of right now you can only have 8 guildleves a session. It would be nice if there was both NM's in the open world and NM's in guildleves.

Post above says there WILL be NMs outside of the guildleves.

Cathcart

YuriLowell said:
Every character is able to level all of the available jobs in the game. The job you are currently playing as is determined by what is equipped in your main hand. If you have a bow, you're an archer. If you have a saw you're a carpenter. If you have never equipped a saw before you'll became a rank 1 carpenter and you start from there.

You can do all of the crafting jobs if you like, you just have to carry around all of the tools. Although from my time in the beta I get the impression that leveling crafting jobs is going to take a long time just like leveling fighting jobs so it's probably best to pick one crafting job to really focus on.

Salaadin

I honestly think that bazaar/retainer system for buying and selling will work fine if they implemented a search system like the AH and let us buy the items right from there.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
The best...

Retrying guildleves: The best way to level is with guildleves, that is, even without the guardian's favor, you will earn way more exp and skill points per each kill. For this reason, we wanted to prevent abusive use of leves by killing all the monsters but failing right at the end and then retrying on the spot. However, if you visit the NPC that gave you the leve, you can retry it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
No AH will see this game die a horrible death. They will change their minds after the first month numbers plummet when people have to start paying. I'll believe most of the other shit when I see it (large crafting projects, etc).

Salaadin

Kintaro said:
No AH will see this game die a horrible death. They will change their minds after the first month numbers plummet when people have to start paying. I'll believe most of the other shit when I see it (large crafting projects, etc).

What benefits are there to an actual, physical AH? If they implement a search function that gathers up a listing of all of the items for sale in bazaars/retainers along with prices and quantities then how is it any different from an AH?

If anything, I prefer the pricing methods in bazaars over the AH. Its all exact amounts and no slowly raising your bid by a few gil just to save a few pennies because some ass decided to charge 20,007 gil for his item.

As it is now, bazaars and retainers are shit but I still dont see why an AH is an absolute must as long as they improve the current system to be easier, user friendly, and not a big hassle.

Kintaro

Salaadin said:
What benefits are there to an actual, physical AH? If they implement a search function that gathers up a listing of all of the items for sale in bazaars/retainers along with prices and quantities then how is it any different from an AH?

If anything, I prefer the pricing methods in bazaars over the AH. Its all exact amounts and no slowly raising your bid by a few gil just to save a few pennies because some ass decided to charge 20,007 gil for his item.

As it is now, bazaars and retainers are shit but I still dont see why an AH is an absolute must as long as they improve the current system to be easier, user friendly, and not a big hassle.

Ease of use. An AH is so much easier to use than the system in place now. Right now, you have to enter different parts of wards and shift through shit to find what you want. If they add a search, then it is no different than an AH so why not have the AH?!

They're trying to reinvent the wheel but its just going to turn out more intrusive and shitty.

Also, this goes against everything they claim to be doing "for the casuals." Their currently system isn't casual friendly. It's not even hardcore friendly. It's just stupid and a time sink. Not to mention that you must not have been paying attention to bazaar pricing since people already priced their wares at weird prices just to get around the tax.

AH serves the same purpose, its easier to use and its something every single player can understand on day one. Which is more than we can say for the game in general on day one.

Kyoufu

Kintaro is spot on. The game will need an AH to survive. Nobody will want to go through 90 bazaars just for one item they probably won't find.

Bazaaring is meant to be a form of mobile merchandise, not the definitive way to buy and sell.

Kintaro

Londa said:
They never said there will be no AH ever.

The sooner the better. From the sounds of it, they're being thickheaded about it. By the time it could be possibly added, it would be well too late.

Also, let us not forget how limited the retainer system is and how SE forces you to pay them $2 extra if you want to use them properly. You can only use one retainer per city state. You can't recall them to set up shop in one city state if they are in another one. So, basically, at least to be able to reach your potential customers, you need to create three retainers. One for each city state. Want to make that money? So does SE. Their money is real though...

But lets say they add a search for the bazaar system. You want to find a Great Axe. Said Great Axe is in Gridania. You're in Limsa. You can't bid on that item from your location. You're never been to Gridania yet. So, you gotta hoof it. By the time you make it there, the item sold. Or, say you have been there, you have to choose between hoofing it anyway to save anima or using anima for your chance at the Great Axe.

Meanwhile, a universal AH fixed this.

It is not easy. It is not intuitive. There are reasons other major MMOs do not use this system as their sold way for players to do business. An AH is needed.

Cathcart

All of the pre-live event stuff sounds great. I can't believe I didn't care about this game at all two weeks ago (hadn't read a thing about the game before open beta) and now I'm really psyched about the launch. Cannon boat wedding cake!

Gravijah

Salaadin said:

Most people use buyout in AH over bidding.

Top Bottom