• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mister Zimbu said:
Regarding crafting... if I'm on a crafting leve, can I use the mats (or the resulting craft) for something other than a leve?

For instance, take some lumber that was given to me to do one Carpenter leve, and take some Growth Formula Alpha that I made using mats given to me to do an Alchemy leve, and make myself a wand instead? Or are the mats/craft results "bound" to my leve?

I fucking hate the word leve.

Nope. The mats are only for your leve as are the items you make. However, success in making said items are tied to your craft level.

Cmagus

so im curious is there actual player shops in this game? i heard there was but cant find much info on them if so where abouts can I find these.

jsrv

Salaadin said:
For the new page:

GAF Name - FFXIV Name - Server

HappyBivouac -
careksims - Kessah Shrykewolf - Lindblum or majority
Gromph -
Salaadin - Salaadin Voivode - Lindblum
Emenis - Dega Emenis - Doesnt care, prefers unpopular server
Decay24 - Decay Aurillo - Lindblum
kiryogi - Eithne Rain - Lindblum
jiggle - undecided - Rabanastre
Zomba13 - Zomba Thirteen - Lindblum
Cathcart - Taka Danobaba - Lindblum
Teknoman - Teknoman Blade - Doesnt care, prefers FFIV town
Sallokin - Arc Estrela - Lindblum or less populated
Unknown Soldier - Kawaii Nanodesu - Lindblum or Besaid
Mjunter - Mjunter Elhunter - Doesnt Care
Nakazato - Isamu Nakazato - Doesnt Care
ZiZ -
clo1_2000 -
jae -
Subxero - Tama Hawk - Lindblum
demosthenes - Undecided - Lindblum
hteng -
Ravidrath - Ravidrath Something - Mysidia
Awntawn - Undecided - Balamb
zlatko - Outlaw Star - Figaro
Thoraxes -
cityhunter - Thousandmaster Talltale
somesang - Appleseed Cast - Whatever majority decides
Ronok - undecided - Doesnt care, prefers unpopular server
Raging Spaniard - Blackimus Spaniard/Leakage Pants - Populated server
squall211 -
Let me in - Lagi Caelitus - Lindblum
PietePiet -
Jinko - Jinko Jinko - Lindblum
Azrael - Oberyn Martell - Doesnt Care
Feep - Sir Feep or Naia Alandros - no server preference
Gopsje -
Soroc - Soroc Dahydro -
BMX Bandit - undecided - Lindblum
grate - Woody Wilson -Lindblum
Mims -
Canti - Canti Socanto - Lindblum
Subxero -
LiveToFollow - Shino Mouri - Doesnt care
Vivin - undecided - Lindblum
hgplayer- HGPlayer Something - Doesnt care
valenti - Meeru Eilanden - Lindblum
Baloonatic - Citan Oolab - Doesnt care

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23200740&postcount=11307
jsrv - name undecided for retail - server preference: Trabia or one of the new servers (Balamb, etc).

Is anyone else joining in for the retail release? should let salaadin know your server preference
2yngc38.jpg

jiggle

2mwtaw5.jpg

didn't wanna be left out!

and wow the gears in this game are detailed, u can see all the rings and earrings and braceletes and necklace that you equipped :eek:

did ppl just discover the recipe for harness or something?
before today i've never seen one
but they're everywhere now

notworksafe

zlatko said:
:) Pick up the game notworksafe, roll with Gaf, and you can at least have others to share in your pain until things get better.
Nah, I don't think I'll be in for launch. I'm going to wait until the PS3 version hits. I think many issues I have with it will be fixed by then (either by Square or by add-on makers). I know this is a good game, it just needs more time to work out the kinks. So I guess it's more of a WAR situation than Vanguard.

For now I'll get by with a combo of Cataclysm and LotRO F2P. Heck, maybe I'll even play a (gasp) offline game! :D

EDIT: I'm very curious to see how it runs on PS3. I have a big TV so I'd love to see FFXIV running on it in glorious HD. I'm sure there will be very good XP boost/catch up items in the PS3 version as well.

gillty

Banned
I guess I'm still in I mean Civilization fucking 5 comes out the day before and formula 1 too...

I'll wait for the day 1 patch notes before I pick it up. Also I'm worried the billing system is going to be just as terrible as before, I mean this 100 SE Crysta space bucks stuff looks pretty antiquated, if I can't get discounts for buying more game time ahead of time I might not pick it up right away.

HappyBivouac -
Gromph -
ZiZ -
clo1_2000 -
jae -
hteng -
Thoraxes -
squall211 -
PietePiet -
Gopsje -
Soroc - Soroc Dahydro -
Mims -
Subxero -
Balya - Balya Malkan - Lindblum
valru - Grim Fandango - Lindblum

HappyBivouac -
Gromph -
ZiZ -
clo1_2000 -
jae -
hteng -
Thoraxes -
squall211 -
PietePiet -
Gopsje -
Soroc - Soroc Dahydro -
Mims -
Subxero -
YuriLowell-Kungfu Walrus-Lindblum

Still excited for this game. I need something other then wow to occupy my time.

Munba

YuriLowell said:

HappyBivouac -
Gromph -
ZiZ -
clo1_2000 -
jae -
hteng -
Thoraxes -
squall211 -
PietePiet -
Gopsje -
Soroc - Soroc Dahydro -
Mims -
Subxero -
YuriLowell-Kungfu Walrus-Lindblum
Munba - Munba Lunru - Lindblum or Wutai

Added me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Where are the shadows? It seems only characters and some props cast shadows.

nataku

Ether_Snake said:
Where are the shadows? It seems only characters and some props cast shadows.

There aren't any. No real time environment shadows, at all. Nothing from trees, rocks, bridges, terrian, etc. Nothing like any modern MMORPG has. One of my biggest gripes with the game in terms of visuals, especially considering how shitty the performance is.

Varna

nataku said:
There aren't any. No real time environment shadows, at all. Nothing from trees, rocks, bridges, terrian, etc. Nothing like any modern MMORPG has. One of my biggest gripes with the game in terms of visuals, especially considering how shitty the performance is.

Not even in their engine development did SE learn a damn thing. This game is almost completely CPU bound. Normally my card's temp reaches 60c when playing anything. Playing FFXIV for a good hour and the most it will reach is 48c. The game won't use more then 2GB of ram or 500MB of video memory.

Teknoman

nataku said:

I dunno...my performance isnt shitty. And some people just turned off shadows for the hell of it. Granted environmental stuff doesnt cast shadows, but every enemy/player model and equipment casts shadows.

nataku

I know I've asked before, but I don't feel like digging through past posts and I can't remember what you said. What are your PC specs and settings you're running at? What is your framerate like in towns/outposts, around large groups of people?

nataku said:
I know I've asked before, but I don't feel like digging through past posts and I can't remember what you said. What are your PC specs and settings you're running at? What is your framerate like in towns/outposts, around large groups of people?

I'm interested in this too. My core 2 duo (2.76 gigs) 2 gigs ram, and 9800 GT (overclocked) isn't running FF14 too good =/

I think most of it is the server lag but it's hard to distinguish sometimes, especially with the interface lag.

Alex

The awful lighting can make a lot of environments look flat out straight ported from FFXI at a glance, mostly the ones that aren't slapped with really nice terrain textures. There's some odd bumps with the consistency of the visuals.

The models make the visuals what they are though. Super nice, although the equipment variety is non-existent at the moment and that stupid fucking pop-in thing is back from XI. Then again with how poorly tuned the game is it's probably better that way.

I'm having problems again. I finally got it fully updated and I login but then it does to a black screen and just stays there. Anyone know what could be the problem?

Varna

Teknoman said:
I dunno...my performance isnt shitty. And some people just turned off shadows for the hell of it. Granted environmental stuff doesnt cast shadows, but every enemy/player model and equipment casts shadows.

I know it's not the same for everyone, but turning down/off shadows does absolutely nothing for performance. It does about as much as turning off the name display (Yes, this does cost FPS).

My system. C2D @3.4GHZ, 460GTX 1GB, 4GB of Ram, Windows 7-64bit.

I've spent the last hour testing out settings and just being amazed at how little tweaking the graphic options does.

At 1680x1050 I found that the only option that gave a noticeable boost was ambient occlusion and at the most it was only 10 FPS. Everything else did so little (it can barely be felt while playing) that it was just stupid to try and play with anything other then the highest resolution shadows and textures. Even turning on x4 AA only cost 5 or so frames.

It's playable for sure, but it's just sad how bad it runs for no reason. I usually get 30-45 in barren open fields with no one around. it just take a nose dive into the teens when more then a few people are around.

Zel3

Varna said:
I know it's not the same for everyone, but turning down/off shadows does absolutely nothing for performance. It does about as much as turning off the name display (Yes, this does cost FPS).

My system. C2D @3.4GHZ, 460GTX 1GB, 4GB of Ram, Windows 7-64bit.

I've spent the last hour testing out settings and just being amazed at how little tweaking the graphic options does.

At 1680x1050 I found that the only option that gave a noticeable boost was ambient occlusion and at the most it was only 10 FPS. Everything else did so little (it can barely be felt while playing) that it was just stupid to try and play with anything other then the highest resolution shadows and textures. Even turning on x4 AA only cost 5 or so frames.

It's playable for sure, but it's just sad how bad it runs for no reason. I usually get 30-45 in barren open fields with no one around. it just take a nose dive into the teens when more then a few people are around.

Any idea if it's at least optimized for multiple cores? I have a i7 920 clocked at stock speeds (2.67GHZ) and it sucks when games only use one or two cores since my clock speed isn't very high.

Varna said:
Not even in their engine development did SE learn a damn thing. This game is almost completely CPU bound. Normally my card's temp reaches 60c when playing anything. Playing FFXIV for a good hour and the most it will reach is 48c. The game won't use more then 2GB of ram or 500MB of video memory.

wow since im on a c2d 3ghz, I should probably just get the ps3 version then? do they all play together?

nataku

I've read it uses a little bit of a 3rd and 4th core, but not nearly as much as 2 cores.

The main thing seems to be just overall speed of the CPU. The only place I've seen do actual testing in the game is this FFXIV blog.

From what it says, an i7 860 @ 4.0GHz with 2 cores enabled outperforms an i7 860 @ 2.8GHz with 4 cores enabled.

Yeah, 4GHz for minimum 30FPS.

Zel3

nataku said:
I've read it uses a little bit of a 3rd and 4th core, but not nearly as much as 2 cores.

The main thing seems to be just overall speed of the CPU. The only place I've seen do actual testing in the game is this FFXIV blog.

From what it says, an i7 860 @ 4.0GHz with 2 cores enabled outperforms an i7 860 @ 2.8GHz with 4 cores enabled.

Yeah, 4GHz for minimum 30FPS.

Guess it's time to buy a custom cpu cooler and overclock. I hate unoptimized games. :(

Varna

ZombieSupaStar said:
wow since im on a c2d 3ghz, I should probably just get the ps3 version then? do they all play together?

Cross platform play I believe.

Also, I don't understand why everyone thinks the PS3 version will turn out well. Huge open worlds games run like shit on consoles. Add in the unpredictable number of things that can happen on screen in an mmo and it's just a disaster waiting to happen. It's going to struggle to stay above 25 FPS in even the most secluded locations, I can already see it.

In those test having more then two cores enabled does pretty much nothing.

nataku

Varna said:

Also, I don't understand why everyone thinks the PS3 version will turn out well. Huge open worlds games run like shit on consoles. Add in the unpredictable number of things that can happen on screen in an mmo and it's just a disaster waiting to happen. It's going to struggle to stay above 25 FPS in even the most secluded locations, I can already see it.

Not to mention it's probably going to have horrible textures compared to the PC version. The overall look of the game is going to suffer a lot to even maintain that framerate.

Teknoman

Varna said:

In those test having more then two cores enabled does pretty much nothing.

PS3 version is supposed to use different textures than the PC version unless somethings changed from the last time they spoke on it.

FFXI PS2 performed pretty nicely even when some PCs struggled with weather effects at the time, so i'd be more worried about PC performance than console if past efforts are any indication.

Of course the PC version always looks better, for some reason the PS2 version had a few effects that the PC version didnt (weapons and shields had this shiny effect to them).

I wonder how the opening CG movie will look. Also if the title screen will be significantly different.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
The more I read about the game and the more I feel like waiting for the PS3 version.

I've got the PC version on pre-order (Collector's Edition no less) but don't really feel like buying a brand new PC or insanely overpriced laptop to run it. FF11 ran good enough IMO on PS2 that I am sure FF14 will run well on PS3.

Will probably use the free month when I get the PC version in the mail, then wait for PS3 version early next year! :D

Cathcart

Hunting humanoids with Renta, Maki and Kawaii last night. Took us forever to get one of these guys away from his friends so we could see what they dropped. Actually, I don't even remember what he dropped :D

Not a great shot but it got kind of hectic so it was hard to move the camera and keep playing. Anyway, good times, good times:

cavefight.png

Balya

evildede said:
I've got the PC version on pre-order (Collector's Edition no less) but don't really feel like buying a brand new PC or insanely overpriced laptop to run it. FF11 ran good enough IMO on PS2 that I am sure FF14 will run well on PS3.

Will probably use the free month when I get the PC version in the mail, then wait for PS3 version early next year! :D

This is exactly where I'm at.

TheFatOne

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is this game really unoptimized? Because it runs like utter shit on my rig. 15fps constantly just in the town.

Yes the game us unoptimized. I'm praying that they fix this before release, but I know they won't. I have played enough of the beta. Like Teknoman I don't want to get burned out before release. See you all in a few weeks.

Teknoman

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is this game really unoptimized? Because it runs like utter shit on my rig. 15fps constantly just in the town.

Turn off Ambient Occlusion. For some odd reason, this seems to cause the game to perform alot worse than it should.

I still want to get some crafting done but I've mostly seen what I think the lower levels are like in terms of the grind. Once you're level 15+ you can take a lower level job from 1-6 or 1-8 in a couple of hours to get the early alternate job skills you might want on your main, like Second Wind, Cure, or Bloodbath.

I'm planning on taking it easy from this point forward, like the other guys I don't want to burn myself out before release. I still want to log in regularly after patches though to see what they've been patching and improving as the game still has a long way to go to acceptable performance and stability, though the last couple of patches have dramatically improved both for me.

Cathcart

TheFatOne said:
Yes the game us unoptimized. I'm praying that they fix this before release, but I know they won't. I have played enough of the beta. Like Teknoman I don't want to get burned out before release. See you all in a few weeks.

Smart plan, I think I'll do the same. I'm convinced that I want to play the full game and I'm looking forward to seeing what changes between now and then. Time to play some other games before XIV takes over my life :D

Top Bottom