• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

LowParry

Man...March 11th can't come any sooner. Even if I don't get in, I'm sure there will be some -ahem- leaks out there. Maybe they'll release that trailer that day (which I doubt, but hopeful!).

Alex

Nakazato said:
kinda takes fun out of adventuring

Well, it's just for quests and it's a two way street. It may take off some of the impact of walking to a zone or being in a big world but after the first or second time, the timesink of multi-zone travel in an MMO really hits hard.

In the end I think this method definitely works better. The benefit of the world at large while being able to initiate and complete quests in a speedy fashion, which is a huge plus for facilitating easier grouping.

Teknoman

Nakazato said:
OH SHIT WEAPON SPELLS

Well you can still walk to the place if you arent taking up a guildleve im sure. It'll probably be just like FFXI except with easier area ports early on. You'll probably need to walk to larger areas/certain dungeons first, while guildleve ports send you to or close to minor quest spots.

Also english accents = Yoshida :lol Every game he's involved in has english accents.

jiggle

an option to instant port is a welcome change imo

so if that's the completed opening movie
does it mean 100% there won't be a new race?

anyone worry the game is TOO FFXI yet?

edit: still no invite, damn u SE! i only linked my accounts last week, wonder if that's part of the reason :/

Jinko

It was pretty clear from the gamescon videos that we would use the crystals to teleport us for guildleves.

There is nothing to say that you don't need to visit a crystal first to be able to get ported there either.

I'm sure the opening movie is trying to hint at the possibility of questing, not you pick up a card and suddenly get transported away.

anyone worry the game is TOO FFXI yet?

Not in the slightest, that seems to be about all that is similar at this point.

Alex

Being "too" FFXI in regards to narrative, characters, world design, etc is all very good. Those are elements people LOVED from XI.

Accessibility increases and the removal of the archaic bits of FFXI is whats needed, and whats happening. Better crafting, ATB system, multijob encouragement and on the fly swapping, custom group sizes and significantly better group facilitating (teleporting, matchmaking, quest halls), far more poignant item usage, etc. Good stuff.

I'm really pleased already with what little we know out of XIV. FFXI just needed the Everquest beat out of it and rather than looking to World of Warcraft (ie; how to pamper the fuck out of the player) they focused more on things like Monster Hunter for progressive bits like the importance of weapon changing, gathering classes, and getting groups together in a comfortable manner.

The first thing you ever hear out of any ex-FFXI player is just how goddamn awful the grouping was. And it really, really was.

I'm just glad they are making transportation easier. I love traveling but lets be real, there were times where I played for 7 hours straight, and I realize that I spent 6 of those hours running to destinations.

And only gained 2 levels.

Teknoman

-Pyromaniac- said:
I'm just glad they are making transportation easier. I love traveling but lets be real, there were times where I played for 7 hours straight, and I realize that I spent 6 of those hours running to destinations.

And only gained 2 levels.

Yeah traveling somewhere the first time is cool, but after that it would be nice to port.

Nakazato

I hope guild levies help with NM's i would love not to have to camp for 21 hours to get a pop that has a 15% drop rate /w th3

LaneDS

I'd be ok with keeping in long travel times, so long as they figured out a way to make it an engaging experience beyond the first few times when you're not a high enough level to travel safely. That, of course, is not an easily accomplished task, but still, if they could keep the sense of adventure and danger present no matter your level (while not being annoying), then I'd be all for it.

Running a Chocobo around with zero threat present for the 100th time, however, is not fun.

Teknoman

Nakazato said:
I hope guild levies help with NM's i would love not to have to camp for 21 hours to get a pop that has a 15% drop rate /w th3

I think they are going to be like clan marks in FFXII. Speaking of which, they better have a more concrete(?) form of clans/guilds in XIV. Complete with custom emblem.

Whats strange is that right before guildleves were revealed, we were talking in LSchat about how great it would be to have clan marks in FFXIV. This'll probably be as close as we get.

Nakazato

Teknoman said:
I think they are going to be like clan marks in FFXII. Speaking of which, they better have a more concrete(?) form of clans/guilds in XIV. Complete with custom emblem.

Whats strange is that right before guildleves were revealed, we were talking in LSchat about how great it would be to have clan marks in FFXIV. This'll probably be as close as we get.

How'd that work again ? You read the ad. speak to the npc after that the nm pops for you (and get a marker on your map) ??

if thats the case most things will be rare/ex

Jinko

You can do some NM's through the elite training manuals (Fields of Valor) in FF11, I am hoping its similar to that.

Pick up a party guildleve> get a party together> get transported to an instanced area via a crystal where you can fight an NM.

jiggle

i really thought they're done with time pop NMs system when they introduced ZNM system

but then last update they added 40 more time popped NMs =.-

and more coming, including HNM

hopefully this is not the trend in XIV

Teknoman

Nakazato said:
How'd that work again ? You read the add. speak to the npc after that the pop for you (and get a marker on you map) ??

if thats the case most things will be rare/ex

Yeah pretty much. Probably going to be like FFXI is today, where alot of the nicer items are rare/ex to prevent too many gil sellers from stealing everything.

Jinko said:
You can do some NM's through the elite training manuals (Fields of Valor) in FF11, I am hoping its similar to that.

Pick up a party guildleve> get a party together> get transported to an instanced area via a crystal where you can fight an NM.

I dunno if the areas are instanced though. Aetheryte just seems like wide spread / easier to use teleport crystals. Some really important boss battles will probably be instanced.

Nakazato

Teknoman said:
Yeah pretty much. Probably going to be like FFXI is today, where alot of the nicer items are rare/ex to prevent too many gil sellers from stealing everything.
nice sounds great

also sry for the very bad post above didnt proof read it before i posted

Deku

Banned
vivin said:
I just did the same thing >_< I remember inputting my POL account during the beta sign up, but I was wondering what email address I used to actually sign up to the beta lol. Once signing into my S-E account, sure enough no linked POL ID's -__-;

You need to have a Square-Enix Account to sign up for your beta.

And you can access your Square-Enix account with any browser, change account info, change password, mailing address all via a browser.
Go check.

i really thought they're done with time pop NMs system when they introduced ZNM system

but then last update they added 40 more time popped NMs =.-

and more coming, including HNM

hopefully this is not the trend in XIV

Well those new NMs they added pop after a few hours, and are often uncammped after a short period of congestion.

There's so many to camp and not everyone can be there 24/7 that its really not an issue.

Actually, they plan on adding more. I think it's a good sign for XIV.

The real issue with congestion with camped NMs in the early days of XI was there weren't enough of them, and some of them popped too rarely which allowed for easy monopolization and or manipulation of pop times by small dedicated groups.

Jinko

What I would like to see is open world NM's that can spawn in different area's based on its level.

It would stop people camping them and would be more a case of good luck, or bad luck if it happens to spawn on top of you whilst you are resting :lol

vivin

Deku said:
You need to have a Square-Enix Account to sign up for your beta.

And you can access your Square-Enix account with any browser, change account info, change password, mailing address all via a browser.
Go check.

Oh, I made a S-E account when I signed up for the beta last year. I simply never logged into it, I didn't realise you can link your POL account to it :(

gillty

Banned
Nakazato said:
OH SHIT WEAPON SPELLS

sounds like gate crystals from xi but tied into questing...

here is a much more detailed discription of the OPENING CINEMATIC (the same thing Jinko posted about)

this was originally posted at zam.com but has since been removed by request of SE. I spoiler tagged it in case some people want to wait to see the cinematic for them selfs.

Opening Cinematic for FFXIV said:
The theme of the movie was the adventure of a single Hyuran as he took on a Guildleve. We saw bits and pieces of this story in past trailers, but in this showing they were all woven together into a single narrative. All the gaps were filled in and the tale came full circle from the guild, to the battle, to the skies and back again.

The movie begins by panning through a guild. We see some of the tables, characters and weapons we have already seen before. However, this time there is no music, only the soft din of adventurers chatting and tableware clanking. The camera swings around the lively bar and comes to settle upon a Hyuran and Roegadyn standing at a counter.

The Roegadyn patiently waits as the Hyuran shifts the Leves around. Eventually, the Hyuran makes his decision, and the Roegadyn commends him on his good selection. At this point we get our first taste of the English voice acting. In fact, the entire trailer was in English with Japanese subtitles. It also appears they prefer English accents; the upcoming Miq’ote sported an especially heavy one.

At this point, the Hyuran returns to his table and his friends: a male Eleven with silver hair and a spunky Miq’ote excited to get moving. They all begin sifting through the leves, but as his friends hem and haw over the choices, one in particular catches the Hyuran’s eye. It depicts a tornado over a field, and something about it entrances the young adventurer. He looks closer and closer until suddenly he is enveloped in a shining blue light!

Now we start flying over the Eorzean landscape with blue trails flickering on either side. After whisking through a forest, we are taken high above Eorzea. Many fields, forests, waterfalls and lakes are spread out below. This scene is also familiar to those who have seen previous trailers. At the end of this journey, the Hyuran abruptly finds himself in a body of shallow water. He comes to suddenly and appears somewhat winded and disoriented. If what we know from interviews is true, the effects of traveling via Aetheryte have taken a small toll. Unfortunately, there’s no time to rest, as a giant Malboro immediately begins bearing down on him!

Just when it seems the Hyuran will be crushed, a small female Lalafell with blonde hair rushes in and puts up a magical barrier. It was the same as that barrier a Miq’ote casts during the ship battle. This protects the Hyuran from harm and gives him a little time to get his head together. In the meantime, the calvary arrives in the form of a silver-haired female Eleven and a Roegadyn with a battle axe. We have also seen these characters before from previous trailers.

This was perhaps the best part of the trailer, as we were treated to a rather lengthy battle against a giant Malboro. Square Enix also may have taken this chance to hint at upcoming game mechanics. First, the Eleven and the Roegadyn charge in and begin their offensive, with the Roegadyn chopping at a tentacle with his battle axe. At one point, the Malboro seems to gain the upper hand. It fires off Bad Breath, which catches the Roegadyn in the arm. The Eleven also looks overwhelmed by the many tentacles, but suddenly arrows fly in and knock them to the side. It appears the Hyuran has gotten the hang of using that bow he brought along!

However, the massive monster is not about to let up. While it continues to thrash about, the Roegadyn gets some quick healing for his damaged arm. The Malboro lashes out some tentacles to strike down the Hyuran, but with some quick thinking, the Lalafell shoots out some ice that freezes them in mid-air. Around this point, the party seems to have turned things around. The Malboro goes for a final jumping attack, and the Hyuran quickly takes aim. The Lalafell conjures up what looks to be a Fire spell, but suddenly the red energy flies back around and into the nocked arrow of the Hyuran’s bow. The arrow is then released and flies forth into the mouth of the beast, engulfing it in flames.

As the Malboro sinks into the water, the party seems relaxed and ready to celebrate. Suddenly, a cliche strikes and the Malboro finds a second wind, wrapping the hapless Hyuran in a fiery tentacle. Just before he is about to be eaten alive, airships (the ones akin to flying totem poles) come crashing down from the sky. The Hyuran is suddenly picked up and whisked away into an aerial battle.

In the skies above, many ships and dragons are participating in some epic battle against a gigantic flying warship. It felt like a clip from Star Wars as just massive amounts of crafts just zipped about letting loose lasers and pellets. The giant ship appeared unfazed, until a new player came into the battle. An enormous black dragon (that made many of us think, “Bahamut”) starting to unleash great beams of blue energy. One such shot obliterated a good portion of the warship and unfortunately for whoever was riding it, that seemed to be it. The great craft began sinking through the clouds, letting off explosions and shedding debris. Once the craft reached its final resting place on the ground, the dragon stood victorious over the wreckage and let out a roar — mouth agape and wings spread wide.

Upon the completion of this battle, the Hyuran found himself sans transportation, and was left falling through the sky. The dragon, and some other beasts, were too busy turning into balls of blue energy to help him however. It appeared that the speculated gods/avatars of Eorzea had finished their business and shot off in blue streaks, almost like, forgive the reference, Dragonballs flying away after a wish. The Hyuran continues to free-fall towards a shining blue emptiness, when all of a sudden…

He’s awake! The Hyuran finds himself back in the guild at the table with his friends. They ask if he’s alright and if he’s finished with his little reverie. However, they still did not manage to successfully choose a Guildleve while he was spaced out. The Hyuran looks back down at the leve that took him on his wild adventure and his expression hardens with determination. It’s decided — he wants to do that one. His friends agree and jump up to head out the door. The Miq’ote is thrilled at the prospect of adventure and says “Let’s give our Bard something to sing about.”

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jonnyram said:
Did all you alpha guys apply for the PC version?
I'm assuming the PS3 beta will be an afterthought :/

They said will start with PC, on japanese apply you have the option to PS3/PC test and the FFXIII promo code.

Nakazato

Gromph said:
They said will start with PC, on japanese apply you have the option to PS3/PC test and the FFXIII promo code.

Yea. I think ps3 beta sign up will start 2 weeks after 13 comes out and will start may-ish

Jonnyram

Gromph said:
Yeah, I applied on the Japanese site using the FFXIII code - that's why I brought it up.
I'd imagine there'll be no alpha at all for the PS3 version because it's more hassle for them to send out patches. I reckon PS3 will come into the picture for the closed beta, but I am only assuming at this stage.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Soooo, sorry for asking since it's probably already been explained earlier, but is the story connected to FFXI? Why do the races look exactly the same but called a different name?

gillty

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Soooo, sorry for asking since it's probably already been explained earlier, but is the story connected to FFXI? Why do the races look exactly the same but called a different name?
1)the races look exactly the same? you need glasses son. they look similar on purpose in order to facilitate ffxi players

2)the races and world are VERY different from FFXI in terms of story and structure with no connection

if you are familiar with ffxi or just curious heres a few links to get you quickly up to speed on ffxivs world and lore

Story:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/wiki/Story

FFXIVs world Hydaelyn, the main region of Eorzea and the 6 city-states:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/wiki/Category:Hydaelyn

The Races, all of the races seem to be divided into groups or factions:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/wiki/Category:Races

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Valru said:
1)the races look exactly the same? you need glasses son.
They look pretty damn similar to me. Elf, Human, Cat-girl, cute-midget, and hulking beast archetypes.

But okay, then. It's just a thing to accommodate FF11 players who don't want something too different, huh?

Personally, I think I would have liked to see at least a new looking race or something.

Shouta

Rentahamster said:
They look pretty damn similar to me. Elf, Human, Cat-girl, cute-midget, and hulking beast archetypes.

But okay, then. It's just a thing to accommodate FF11 players who don't want something too different, huh?

Personally, I think I would have liked to see at least a new looking race or something.

Valru
Call of Douchey

There you have it. They're similar but not quite the same, minor differences here and there and the tiny little things are pretty different from their FFXI counterpart. It's mostly to make a transition from FFXI easier because it'll be at least familiar.

Teknoman

vivin said:
Oh, I made a S-E account when I signed up for the beta last year. I simply never logged into it, I didn't realise you can link your POL account to it :(

Yeah once you link to it, you can just use that to log into FFXI.

notworksafe

So any new emails sent out today, or is Square taking a break right now?

Rentahamster said:

I agree. A new race would have been nice. Something like a Gria or a Dwarf type of character.

Signing up for the the beta test, I'm curious to see if I get in. If I don't, oh well. However I'll be waiting happily for those who DO get the beta tester status. I'm really curious to see what they do differently from XI.

:D

Jinko

BTW if anyone with an Aplha invite could do us a video of the character customisation when it starts that would be awesome .. :D

Jinko said:
BTW if anyone with an Aplha invite could do us a video of the character customisation when it starts that would be awesome .. :D
And then you can be famous for posting that video *and* being kicked out of the alpha and hit with a lawsuit by Square-Enix at the same time!

MrDenny

Need to see more footage and price plan before I decide if I'll play this or not.
Still deciding between ffxiv & diablo 3 :(
Question to ffxi players, was the ps2/360 version or the pc version more enjoyable.

eggandI

Banned
MrDenny said:
Need to see more footage and price plan before I decide if I'll play this or not.
Question to ffxi players, was the ps2/360 version or the pc version more enjoyable.

What is there to decide? Diablo 3 won't be out for another 1~2 years. FFXIV should be out long before then.

I wouldn't even give this game the time of day if D3 was anywhere close to it's release, though :lol

Nakazato

MrDenny said:
PC version had better visuals

PC version + a game pad = win

notworksafe

Nakazato said:

This! When I played on PS2 I used the FFXI controller with the keyboard, but PC + gamepad is much better. I kinda hope XIV PC has official gamepad support.

Dreamwriter said:
And then you can be famous for posting that video *and* being kicked out of the alpha and hit with a lawsuit by Square-Enix at the same time!
They could just chuck the vid on rapidshare in a coded rar file, then only GAF could see it. No telling though! :lol

Nakazato said:

I had the PC version and then upgraded to the 360 version. The visuals weren't better at all in the PC one. I mean, the models and textures and effects and everything were exactly the same, and the Xbox 360 version even had better draw distance, and ran at a resolution of 1280x720. 360 Version + a keyboard = win

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dreamwriter said:
I had the PC version and then upgraded to the 360 version. The visuals weren't better at all in the PC one. I mean, the models and textures and effects and everything were exactly the same, and the Xbox 360 version even had better draw distance, and ran at a resolution of 1280x720. 360 Version + a keyboard = win

Some simple modifications and the PC version took a giant, leaping, back flipping shit on the 360 version. Really no comparison.

Top Bottom