• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Munba

Kinan said:
Good job Kagari, will be checking this thread regularly. :)

Plan to visit FF14 booth at Saturday, can film something. Any particular requests?

Some water effect or possibly weather change effect, if possible in the demo pls. :0

Munba

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Teknoman said:
Actual magic spells just to see how they animate, and if you can manage...capture the music playing for the current demo.

Yes please! Give spell animations :) I rember when i saw for first time a Shellra IV and Protrecta IV in FFXI, since this day i was a WHM :lol

Kyzer

Banned
Apparently you're only allowed to record the main monitor which constantly switches between the people playing. (according to TSA in the other thread)

Chris R

I know its early, but from those videos the game is shaping up to just be FFXI+ :| I really want this to be good though so here is hoping TGS has some better gameplay footage to show.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well done Kagari, I'll be spending more hours here than anywhere else when this thread's going info-heavy!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GT Vespene said:
Haha that's Mike Damiani playing. Good thing we were playing XI a couple of months ago. I can't believe they had 5 years to modernize the controls and they blew it.
Modernize as in "WoW-the controls"?

EDIT: Oh and I hate how the tarus run. Jesus Christ.

No45

/subscribe

I never played FFXI, but I've been wanting a PS3 MMO for ages so I'm really looking forward to this. FFIX style is win for me as well.

Yoshichan

GT Vespene said:
As in not having to unselect, tab, reselect, then attack to fight anything. Three steps to do such a basic action? I mean come on.
It is fully possible to select and start attacking the next enemy right away in FFXI. It's pretty much going to be the same in XIV, I'm sure.

Vespene

Seiken said:
It is fully possible to select and start attacking the next enemy right away in FFXI. It's pretty much going to be the same in XIV, I'm sure.

Not the way the game is built right now. He straight up asked them why were the fighting mechanics like that and they replied that's how they wanted them to be.

We have a interview with them tomorrow. Gonna ask the tough non-fanboy questions.

Jonnyram

It's not really for "PC" - it's for Windows, and I think it's only Vista and above too, but that could do with confirmation.

Lord Phol

Well the graphics are nice, art as well.
Looks very uhm, FFXIish, combat looks as stiff as ever :s.
Was hopeing for some more action considering it's being made for a console and all.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
GT Vespene said:
Not the way the game is built right now. He straight up asked them why were the fighting mechanics like that and they replied that's how they wanted them to be.

We have a interview with them tomorrow. Gonna ask the tough non-fanboy questions.

Ask them why the pace of battles is so slow in a post-WOW mmo market? There is no reason for battles to take so long these days because most gamers play on broadband, gone are the days of lag mitigation requirements. Also, what's the exp system like? Is it still leveling up or is there a more skill-based system, and what's the deal with the weapon wheel?

Chris R

GT Vespene said:
As in not having to unselect, tab, reselect, then attack to fight anything. Three steps to do such a basic action? I mean come on.
Not to mention the UI is still looking very much like FFXI, and not really improved at all :| I mean FFXI was great for awhile, but why can't this be like FFXI, but improved in every sense of the word.

Gromph

Staff Member
Shouta said:
I hope this is playable at TGS because I want to try it. :lol

Will be and of course will be a more polished build.

And i will rage! :/

daebo

Great new thread!

From looking at the Vids, has there been any conformation that the camera is definitely going to be set like that? It just seemed off. Was it the players who didn't know how to use it?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Great idea on this thread the other one is just too messy. If and when the beta hits I hope to be there.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I hope there is a PS3 build up and running at TGS, if not then PC is ok as long as it is there. This might be the first MMO that I might consider paying a monthly fee on.

Yoshichan

GT Vespene said:
I'll post a weather effects demo video that caught my eye. Gimmie a few minutes, uploading.
oooooooo.

2uy4w88.jpg

opv81v.jpg

21oku9.jpg

25hekvd.jpg

10qmc7o.jpg

ifmkiq.jpg

112baiq.jpg

xatc0z.jpg

bhd17l.jpg

2up4toi.jpg

nyfqs4.jpg

264hvu9.jpg

1265l40.jpg

1zweyl4.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1226812_1124.html
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1226813_1124.html
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1226816_1124.html

Gromph

Staff Member
I see a bridge on the distance...

25hekvd.jpg

OMG at draw...

uhhh nice thread =)

little additions:
Could you maybe include the screenshots from the last website update (and these newer ones maybe?) and the artworks? just because they look so good xD
The pic/banner is a perfect choice, though you could include the FF14 logo somewhere

Also, do you plan to include info about the story/world? Otherwise you could highlight the official website for that (because it is actually an interesting&informative one unlike many official websites)

edit:
eggandI said:
The draw distance is real. Game world has just been confirmed as seamless. Check out the FFXIVcore interview.

oh hell yeah :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
jiggle said:
all the monks that pressed the panic button a little early can now rest a little easier

Now "the Monks" just have to worry if these battle animations animated in the exact same way. =/ That stance is the exact same. =(

*looks at pictures again*

So much for hoping about getting away from the goofy ass h2h weapons. =/

just began reading the interview...
http://www.ffxivcore.com/index.php?...terview-with-ffxiv-producer-hiromichi-tanaka/

Yes the story is defiantly very important for FF14. We will have high quality cutscenes with voiceovers and fx, please look forward to it.

There will also be voiceovers on mostly every character/npc in the game.

WTF? How is this possible? Will they produce english+japanese VA for every quest/mission/NPC they patch in?

also no jumping :p But maybe swimming and climbing

StuBurns

Banned
SolidusDave said:
WTF? How is this possible? Will they produce english+japanese VA for every quest/mission/NPC they patch in?
Doesn't shock me. SW:TOR are voicing every single line in that game, in three languages, and there are over 800,000 lines.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
stuburns said:
Doesn't shock me. SW:TOR are voicing every single line in that game, in three languages, and there are over 800,000 lines.

And people have been hating on them for doing so. Lets see how this one turns out. =P

(VAs are okay by me)

Yoshichan

stuburns said:
First thing that came to anyone else's mind?
dmc4_01_lg.jpg
Yep I saw it too :lol

stuburns said:

Did not know that, i was under the impressions MMORPGs will be silent forever :lol (w/o computer generated voices)

though why is there hate for VA? It will only add to the atmosphere (if they choose good actors) and will make the FFXI-type cutscenes even better (does SW:TOR also have quest-cutscenes or do they only use the VA for the standard NPCs standing around?)

The game will cost to play. There's a fee for 30 days each. Currently there are no other plans to offer other options.

Do they mean per month or is the new payment system now the real deal? sounds like it is :eek:

Top Bottom