• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Unknown Soldier said:
So when do we get to fight the Giant Enemy Malboro? Has anyone actually even seen it in the game yet? Is he actually an accessible fight early in the game? I would certainly hope we won't spent 49 levels killing rats and coblyns and dodos before we get to the GEM. :lol

And the whole second part of his dream sequence with the airships is still completely bullshit. Maybe 5 years down the road in the 3rd expansion there will be huge airship battles, but anytime near launch? Yeah, right. :lol.
A couple things you aren't realizing: first off, what you've been playing is a BETA. Not complete. Not final. And Square has been holding a lot of stuff for final release. For example, Named Mobs aren't implemented yet, but will be at launch in final release, according to a recent interview. Including special versions of named mobs for certain GuildLeves. And there are airship ports, and I've seen airships flying in the sky, why do you think there won't be any airships for 5 years?? Do you also think that Chocobo's won't be available, though there's Chocobo stables in all the cities?

Second, the intro isn't showing what's going to be in the game, it's showing the intro to the game's overarching story. The airship that crashes in that intro, for example...it's in the game, even now in beta. And they've said that the story has to do with adventurers somehow experiencing the past...which is what the character did in that intro (and note that that intro ties into each city intro as well).

Teknoman

You know what would be nice? If Linkshells/companies ended up having personal airships, and you could actually fly around regions similar to classic FF, except you'd be restricted to landing in certain areas with ports. I guess it would work as an instance since you wouldnt want tons of airships in the sky at once.

EDIT: Either way, hopefully Uematsu has an airship theme thats IV,VI, or IX caliber.

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
You know what would be nice? If Linkshells/companies ended up having personal airships, and you could actually fly around regions similar to classic FF, except you'd be restricted to landing in certain areas with ports. I guess it would work as an instance since you wouldnt want tons of airships in the sky at once.

EDIT: Either way, hopefully Uematsu has an airship theme thats IV,VI, or IX caliber.

Three are things that look like airship landing pads... at least out in La Noscea. Anyone seen them in any other regions?

I highly doubt, BTW, we're getting "personal airships," but there does seem to be some kind of additional travel layer we're missing.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
If you can teleport to camps though, why bother with airship travel? Unless the ports are sectioned off, I guess.

zlatko

Banned
That giant list of changes has me even more stoked! :D I'm glad I have Reach to hold me over till the 22nd so the hype doesn't eat me alive.

I think they covered like everything I had issues with for me to further enjoy the game, and I feel confident that they will keep pumping out fixes on a regular basis.

Also I'm totally buying a 3 month subscription to reduce the fee. I'm hoping 3 months for 25-30 bucks.

Also the Launch Trailer was freaking epic and well done. Sept 22nd can't come soon enough. :D

Ravidrath

Raging Spaniard said:
If you can teleport to camps though, why bother with airship travel? Unless the ports are sectioned off, I guess.

Yeah, honestly, I'm not sure. All I know was that I found two "dock" sort of things in the middle of two different fields while exploring La Noscea - maybe they go to the big scary volcano in the distance there, which is otherwise inaccessible?

zlatko

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:

To save Anima? I know there's an airport right under the adv. guild in Gridania. You could just go down there and maybe it would leave you right at Ul'dah or a camp by Limsa you need to go to. Plus like others stated they might go to areas that you can only access through airships.

Khrno

Dreamwriter said:
A couple things you aren't realizing: first off, what you've been playing is a BETA. Not complete. Not final. And Square has been holding a lot of stuff for final release. For example, Named Mobs aren't implemented yet, but will be at launch in final release, according to a recent interview. Including special versions of named mobs for certain GuildLeves. And there are airship ports, and I've seen airships flying in the sky, why do you think there won't be any airships for 5 years?? Do you also think that Chocobo's won't be available, though there's Chocobo stables in all the cities?

Second, the intro isn't showing what's going to be in the game, it's showing the intro to the game's overarching story. The airship that crashes in that intro, for example...it's in the game, even now in beta. And they've said that the story has to do with adventurers somehow experiencing the past...which is what the character did in that intro (and note that that intro ties into each city intro as well).

But but but but but... if it's not in the beta then it won't be at launch.

/gaf

Feep

Banned
I've been about one-third of Londa, supporting this game even when GAF largely shit all over it.

I've been away, but I just read that list of changes. I really have to say, suck it, haters. Shit looks awesome. Are there still issues? Yes. But a majority of some of the largest are being addressed posthaste, and I have firm hopes for the future.

Just give me an AH and I'll be set, Tanaka!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Heh, so I tried out the onion helm and asuran arm guards on the test server.

Did the rank 1 mining leve, "Mining Black Brush", added guardian aspect.

One successful mine net me 750 SP and 400 EXP. I leveled up twice on the first mining spot.

jiggle

Rentahamster said:

One successful mine net me 750 SP and 400 EXP. I leveled up twice on the first mining spot.

test server? how?
reminds me i have to get a code for asuran armband still.

Kyoufu

Rentahamster said:

Without those items I did the same. What do those items do?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
jiggle said:
test server? how?
reminds me i have to get a code for asuran armband still.

This

We would like to announce that the Narshe world has been added for the testers who would like to participate in the in-game bonus item trial event.

Like the Karnak world, if you create a new character in the Narshe world, you will start out with the in-game items "Onion Helm" and "Asuran Armguards." Feel free to create a new character and test out these items.

However, please be aware that character names from the these trial worlds will not be carried over to the official release of the game and the worlds will be closed down once the event is over.

* Event completion time may be subject to change.
* Please be advised that the bonus in-game items that you receive during this event will have no impact on the actual bonus in-game items that you may receive for the official release.
* There may be times where we will limit the character creation if the event experiences congestion.
A warning has been added on Sep. 15, 2010 at 9:30 (GMT).

jiggle

wow the hat is huge

playing intro again
so for the xp exploit
do i disconnect at the 2nd mob? 3rd mob? or when the CS triggers post fight?

i did it once just now and i noticed it only counted my sp/xp up to the 2nd mob killed

do2cl1.jpg

2v2e5px.jpg

Londa

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

remember this is gaf, none of them want to believe the game will actually do well. Most in here also like WoW better. They come in here to prove WoW is better. They just want people to think this game is wack, because maybe they are getting a check cut to them by the WoW developers.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
So when do we get to fight the Giant Enemy Malboro? Has anyone actually even seen it in the game yet?

I ran into one somewhere deep in the Black Shroud, I managed to avoid it though.

And that head piece looks ridiculous.

BlueWord

Londa said:
remember this is gaf, none of them want to believe the game will actually do well. Most in here also like WoW better. They come in here to prove WoW is better. They just want people to think this game is wack, because maybe they are getting a check cut to them by the WoW developers.

Tin-foil hat, much?

Khrno said:
But but but but but... if it's not in the beta then it won't be at launch.

/gaf

Most of what was mentioned is just content. Extra quests and whatnot. The exact thing the sensible people in the thread were saying that they were withholding.

Reduced leve timers and hardware mouse are things that they're adding solely because of the huge backlash from the community, after stubbornly sticking to not having them for the past three months.

The stupid grind is still there and will still be there. The poor class balance is still there and will still be there. The auction house is nonexistant and will remain so for the near future, because they still stubbornly don't see the need for it. The entire UI and game is an unintuitive mess and will remain so.

More or less the exact thing I said when open beta started.

Londa said:

You are hopeless.

edit: too much? :D

Amneisac

I'm scared to see the epic backlash when all the people who paid extra money to play the game 8 days early can't get logged into the server 90% of that time.

Then we'll see who the TRUE SE fanboys are.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm just so disappointed at how little SE has learned about PC games and MMOs in general since launching FFXI.

FFXI is better now and more fun than its ever been. Its also holding onto a decent sized player-base after 8 years, which is a not inconsiderable achievement for their first attempt.

Teknoman

Zim you might want to edit that a little.

As far as Collectors edition stuff goes, its 50/50 for me. I like to get into retail early, but at the same time there arent many S-E special editions that actually release outside japan.

Amneisac said:
I'm scared to see the epic backlash when all the people who paid extra money to play the game 8 days early can't get logged into the server 90% of that time.

Then we'll see who the TRUE SE fanboys are.

I'm sure most people buying the CE have been around for a MMO launch, which means they know what a MMO launch entails. A giant cluster-f.

Zomba13

jiggle said:
wow the hat is huge

playing intro again
so for the xp exploit
do i disconnect at the 2nd mob? 3rd mob? or when the CS triggers post fight?

i did it once just now and i noticed it only counted my sp/xp up to the 2nd mob killed
d/c after you've killed all the mobs. Wait like a few seconds or something. Just before the c/s starts should work.

Thoraxes

Unknown Soldier said:
So when do we get to fight the Giant Enemy Malboro? Has anyone actually even seen it in the game yet? Is he actually an accessible fight early in the game? I would certainly hope we won't spent 49 levels killing rats and coblyns and dodos before we get to the GEM. :lol

And the whole second part of his dream sequence with the airships is still completely bullshit. Maybe 5 years down the road in the 3rd expansion there will be huge airship battles, but anytime near launch? Yeah, right. :lol

They came out of Bahamut, so I'm not sure. Unless Bahamut is the avatar of the Twelve or something.

Still gotta remember though, that airship battle shows how that whole Dragon Building place (yeah I TOTALLY forgot the name) came to be in game. I know some of you have taken screenshots of it, and it looks awesome! As for when we'll do them? Yeah I agree, probably not for a while. The thought of them certainly is enticing though.

As for Bahamut, I have no idea. We'll probably find out though soon enough. I'm probably going to do a mini trailer dissection before I go to work today.

I don't understand all of the 'zomg it was in the trailer and it's not in the game zomg zomg zomg' mentality.

Crafting.

I like it and I dislike it.

It seems SO random. Sometimes the process:
1) white - rapid
2) flashing - standard
3) other - wait for an above
Works perfectly and other times its abysmal. Also I'll get it to 70% progress, 70 durability and I'll end up failing.

Ravidrath

Unknown Soldier said:
They came out of Bahamut, so I'm not sure. Unless Bahamut is the avatar of the Twelve or something.

My thought, actually, is that those are the primals/espers, which is what the summons will be and what the beastmen worship.

So my thought is that the Garlean empire captured some/all of them, and then Bahamut came down to destroy the ship and free them, dying in the process.

Khrno

Mister Zimbu said:
Most of what was mentioned is just content. Extra quests and whatnot. The exact thing the sensible people in the thread were saying that they were withholding.

Reduced leve timers and hardware mouse are things that they're adding solely because of the huge backlash from the community, after stubbornly sticking to not having them for the past three months.

The stupid grind is still there and will still be there. The poor class balance is still there and will still be there. The auction house is nonexistant and will remain so for the near future, because they still stubbornly don't see the need for it. The entire UI and game is an unintuitive mess and will remain so.

More or less the exact thing I said when open beta started.

The only thing that won't be adjusted, addressed or fixed for launch is the AH, but that's the only feature they have clearly said it wouldn't be in the game at launch, but later on.

Everything else is receiving some sort of fix, which true enough, remains to be seen how good they'll be.

Class balance is worked out over time, not pre-release, and the MP issue is being addressed.

Jinko

MP issue has been addressed, both mages have had their mana regain spells lowered to 10 mins, if you run out of mana now then you are doing something seriously wrong.

LowParry

Londa said:

Hey Londa. Fact. WoW > FFXIV :lol

Jinko said:
MP issue has been addressed, both mages have had their mana regain spells lowered to 10 mins, if you run out of mana now then you are doing something seriously wrong.

Yep; this was mostly suitable for me when I was playing. I was pleasantly surprised to see that. I still ran out occasionally (mostly from grinding green/yellow/orange mobs where you have to spam cure on yourself constantly), but definitely much improved.

They have cleaned things up more than I expected and I'm glad that they (supposedly) have alot of content and quests that they haven't opened up in beta yet. Hopefully that will do something to give the world some more immersive qualities, as it stands now it's pretty barren and lifeless (albeit pretty).

Still not picking this up at launch though... I'm not convinced that the UI will be much faster in release and the lack of a usable trade system is pretty much a dealbreaker, as well as the other dozens of stupid things in the game like the clunky repair and crafting systems(*).

Definitely will check it out at PS3 release and will probably buy it at PS3 launch though.

(*) - Blizzard paid me $5 to write this paragraph.

Zalasta

demosthenes said:
I like it and I dislike it.

It seems SO random. Sometimes the process:
1) white - rapid
2) flashing - standard
3) other - wait for an above
Works perfectly and other times its abysmal. Also I'll get it to 70% progress, 70 durability and I'll end up failing.

From my experiences solid colors have the best chance for success (regardless of the method), white is the most stable followed by yellow and red.

Zalasta said:
From my experiences solid colors have the best chance for success (regardless of the method), white is the most stable followed by yellow and red.

Yea, someone said they didn't like yellow but I started to play with it a bit last night and found it working on rapid a lot. I have yet to see a solid red.

I even waited 6 or 7 times in a row to see if it would change anything :lol

Londa said:
Londa said:
They just want people to think this game is wack, because maybe they are getting a check cut to them by the WoW developers.
Londa said:
because maybe they are getting a check cut to them by the WoW developers.

:lol

Jinko

demosthenes said:
Yea, someone said they didn't like yellow but I started to play with it a bit last night and found it working on rapid a lot. I have yet to see a solid red.

I even waited 6 or 7 times in a row to see if it would change anything :lol

What normally works for me is.

White:- Better chance of success on any (normally best to choose rapid though)
Yellow:- Rapid
Red:- Bold
Flashing:- Rapid.

Normally when i get to 75-80% I will switch to bold if I have enough durability left, if not I just keep using rapid.

Jinko said:

Normally when i get to 75-80% I will switch to bold if I have enough durability left, if not I just keep using rapid.

Highest quality I've gotten so far was 145. What's the highest everyone has gotten?

How do HQ items work? I thought I remember reading that if you HQ leves you get better rewards?

Canti

Jinko said:

I'd agree cept flashing seems to be equal chance of any and white favors standard imo (would make more sense too with it flashing all colors). Of course luck and item rank also factors into success. The unstable element seems to add greater risk of reward/loss per synth, still unsure on the red and orange sparks, mind.

Just my thoughts with moderate goldsmith experience (near rank 12).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im sorry, Im going to sound stupid here.

What colors are you talking about? When I craft I see the time bar, and I pick an option .. what color am I supposed to be looking at?

This is probably why 95 of all my crafting fails, btw, lol

Raging Spaniard said:
Im sorry, Im going to sound stupid here.

What colors are you talking about? When I craft I see the time bar, and I pick an option .. what color am I supposed to be looking at?

This is probably why 95 of all my crafting fails, btw, lol

Look at where your tools are. You'll see a little orb that represents the synth. Based on your choices the colors change.

Jinko

Ok I think elemental affinity has a massive effect on crafting, I have put all my elemental points in wind because I originally was a tanner and they use mainly wind crystals.

However I have switched over to Alchemist and am having terrible luck, Alchemist seem to use mainly fire and water crystals, so im wondering if there is some relation there.

Really pisses me off how SE say "if you look you will find hints in the game like F we will"

Of course if elemental affinity does effect crafting results then multi crafters are going to have a hard time.

Meeru

Banned
yeah also mixing dow classes really puts a nerf on the dmg or skill when you use another discipline skill. Almost makes me want to just main one.

valenti said:
yeah also mixing dow classes really puts a nerf on the dmg or skill when you use another discipline skill. Almost makes me want to just main one.

I'm planning on leveling them all here and there but Marauder right now is my top priority.

Raging Spaniard

demosthenes said:
Look at where your tools are. You'll see a little orb that represents the synth. Based on your choices the colors change.

You just blew my mind, this makes me more optimistic about crafting cause for a while I was like "holy shit this aint worth it"

Seems like the game wants you to take at leats one job in each discipline, which sounds fine by me. For instance, a good combo would be Miner/Armorer/Gladiator.

Mining provides you with ore, Armorer uses the ore to make stuff, Gladiator wears the stuff and supplies crystals for the other two jobs.

Top Bottom