• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

Dreamwriter said:
If you only buy in $15 increments, sure. Instead, buy $65 worth of Crysta at once - that's enough for 5 months of play with only 5 pennies left over.

... Not everyone wants to cough up 5 months worth of a subscription at once.

Hell, a lot of people probably won't even stick around that long.

Ravidrath

I'm jetlagged as fuck right now, and FedEx is coming tomorrow with my game.

Going to leave a note on the door telling them to call, etc. in case I'm not awake to receive it. Would really suck if I missed it.

KaYotiX said:
I really hope the game grabs me, im kinda tired of going back to WoW every expansion LOL :D

Most people are. That's why MMOGs flare and die with the light of a supernova over and over at launch, like Warhammer Online, and Age of Conan, and recently Aion. All of them hit a million boxes sold in the first month and then just as suddenly were under a quarter of the boxes sold subscribers the next month. People keep looking for something more polished than WoW, more fun than WoW, with more content than WoW. People want to believe there's more to to life than the next tier of gear and the next daily and the next weekly. WoW isn't so much an MMOG as a massively-multiplayer boss fight simulator, and people are tired of that. It's like doing MF runs in Diablo II over and over again for rare loot, there's an emptiness inside when all you're doing is killing the same thing over and over again hoping for the item you want to drop. That's not originally what MMOGs started out being about, after all.

So people are always looking for the next WoW. It never happens, because MMOG companies haven't figured out how to sort-of finish a game before shipping it. So the game crashes and burns and players go back to watching DPS meters in cartoony dungeons and waiting for the Next Big Thing. I think the next big-budget MMOG on the chopping block is Star Wars: The Old Republic. I wonder if EA/BioWare/Mythic will be able to make it into a playable game when it launches. Hey, it couldn't be any worse than Star Wars Galaxies was, right?

The one thing Squenix has going for them at launch is that many people who are playing FFXIV at launch are migrating from FFXI or were previous players of FFXI. So Squenix will be somewhat more immune to the "One month and back to WoW" population crash which has been so fatal to WAR, and AoC, and Aion, and Star Trek Online, and Champions Online, and APB, and God Knows What Else. Much like EVE, FFXIV has a chance to carve out it's own little WoW-free niche as long as Squenix takes evolving and patching the game seriously between now and the PS3 launch. We can start with Chocobos and Auction Houses. While they're at it, how about some airships? You can't have Final Fantasy without airships!

Kronotech

Apparently Lindblum is the most populated of all servers right now. Nice going, us!

Found a post on Zam about it. Checked into the Lodestone myself and sure enough. We're going to crash Lindblum. Woohoo!

Riddler

Let me in said:
September 22, 2010 12:01:00 AM Louisville KY US Arrival Scan
September 21, 2010 10:18:00 PM Linthicum MD US Departure Scan
September 21, 2010 08:30:00 PM Linthicum MD US Arrival Scan
September 21, 2010 06:30:00 PM Harrisburg PA US Departure Scan
September 21, 2010 03:45:00 PM Harrisburg PA US Shipment received by carrier
September 21, 2010 03:33:57 PM US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

My package is sightseeing :lol I was only a state away when it was in PA.

Mine started in Louisville KY :lol

ANCHORAGE, AK, US 09/21/2010 7:34 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
LOUISVILLE, KY, US 09/21/2010 4:35 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

Ronok

I don't know if it's been said already, but do people know exactly how the hermes boots work? I first put them on and had the quickening effect, and although I thought it would just work all the time in the cities and not outside, I kept the effect when I left.
After a while though it went away and I'm wondering when I'll get it again. lol

Meeru

Banned
Ronok said:
I don't know if it's been said already, but do people know exactly how the hermes boots work? I first put them on and had the quickening effect, and although I thought it would just work all the time in the cities and not outside, I kept the effect when I left.
After a while though it went away and I'm wondering when I'll get it again. lol
15min per 24 hrs

Jinko

Seems my retarded postman left the parcel with a neighbour yesterday and forgot to tell me.. ><

Installing the game now, man the box for this game is huge.

demonkaze

Who is creating the shell by the way? Jinko, if you're in gridania and wanna do some leves with me and my brother, send me a tell or something.

kiryogi

Banned
demonkaze said:
Who is creating the shell by the way? Jinko, if you're in gridania and wanna do some leves with me and my brother, send me a tell or something.
Pancakes is. And for those curious about getting into the LS talk to him or any of the sackholders. I'll be one of them at some point in the Limsa area.

Canti

Could I just reactivate my FF11 account without having to reinstall the game, then get the boots by linking the account? Is it even worth it?

Jinko

Sever load so far seem good on Lindblum.

ffxivgame20100922101732.jpg

It looks like you have your beard tucked neatly into your collar. :lol

Are you really going to be a taru, or are you just screwing around with the character creator?

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
It looks like you have your beard tucked neatly into your collar. :lol

Are you really going to be a taru, or are you just screwing around with the character creator?

Yea decided on a lalafell, I'll prob regret it later :S

Game is running like utter shite (FPS), worse than the beta for me for some reason,

vivin

Jinko said:
Yea decided on a lalafell, I'll prob regret it later :S

once you go lalafell, theres no going back :p.

My fps appears to be a lot worse than OB as well, Might need to upgrade my gfx card after all >.>;

Balya

Jinko said:
Game is running like utter shite (FPS), worse than the beta for me for some reason,

vivin said:
My fps appears to be a lot worse than OB as well, Might need to upgrade my gfx card after all >.>;

Ruh roh. In that case, I might not even be able to play. :lol

demonkaze

Npc shops still take an age to load up for me after talking to them.

On another note, what's the macro line for equipping a different main and off, wanna set up a macro for botany.

Jinko

demonkaze said:
Npc shops still take an age to load up for me after talking to them.

On another note, what's the macro line for equipping a different main and off, wanna set up a macro for botany.

/equip main "name of main weapon"
/equip sub "name of offhand"

Jinko said:
Pancakes is making the guild, don't think he has the game yet, will have to wait until then.

I'm getting it tonight, it's out for delivery now, but I work till 4 EST. Don't worry it won't be long.

Jinko

SE have increased NPC prices again !! ><

Bastards !

Edit:- Well I can't see any obvious differences between OB and retail.

vivin

Pietepiet said:
Sumio Caixa reporting in! Just made my dude in Limsa Lominsa, on Lindblum.

Is the Linkshell up yet? :)

Nope, Linkshell isn't up yet. I'm sure its the first thing pan does once he's ingame. Give it a day, and invites will begin to flow through :)

Azrael

Jinko said:
SE have increased NPC prices again !! ><

Bastards !

Edit:- Well I can't see any obvious differences between OB and retail.

Guildleve timer has been reduced from 48 to 36 hours. That's probably why NPC prices have risen. More leves = more gil flowing into the economy.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/guildleave01.html

I read guilds sell more items. For example, the Gladiator Guild supposedly sells a rank 18 and rank 42 sword. Prices are really high for some items (~500,000 gil).

Also hardware mouse and less lag. Possibly new story missions but no one's gotten that far yet.

datamage

Londa said:
are they suppose to be this small? It took seconds to download. I'm still waiting on my CE so I had no idea how big the patch would be.

I believe the smaller one was around 5MB? And the other was ~420MB.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Londa said:
are they suppose to be this small? It took seconds to download. I'm still waiting on my CE so I had no idea how big the patch would be.

5MB and 435 MB ones.

small this time.

Londa

Banned
I was wondering, is there any airship rides? what about player housing? I don't see any info about the released version. This is the weirdest release ever. :lol

Kyoufu

Londa said:
I was wondering, is there any airship rides? what about player housing? I don't see any info about the released version. This is the weirdest release ever. :lol

Yes the game now has mog house, airships, auction house and everything else you thought they would magically patch in after the beta.

Jinko

Yup there is nothing different to Open Beta, they have moved a few NPC's around, changed the cost of NPC items, a few different leve rewards, crafting seems a bit easier to level.

Not sure about the Class quests haven't been to look in the guild yet (I'm guessing thats where they would start ??!!)

If Ishgard isn't open I'm guna be pissed, I knew this was guna be paid beta but geeshh come on SE !

I'm guessing the first major update will be pretty interesting at least.

Salaadin

I asked a page ago but didnt get an answer....does the retail game let you choose which drive you want to install to? I dont have room on my C: drive.

Londa

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Yes the game now has mog house, airships, auction house and everything else you thought they would magically patch in after the beta.

so your trolling me for what reason? To fit in with everyone else? how does it feel to be accepted by people you most likey will never see in person?

JudgeN

Jinko said:
Yup there is nothing different to Open Beta, they have moved a few NPC's around, changed the cost of NPC items, a few different leve rewards, crafting seems a bit easier to level.

Not sure about the Class quests haven't been to look in the guild yet (I'm guessing thats where they would start ??!!)

If Ishgard isn't open I'm guna be pissed, I knew this was guna be paid beta but geeshh come on SE !

I'm guessing the first major update will be pretty interesting at least.

Can you get farther in the opening story quest? If not then WTF SE :lol

Londa

Banned
Its kind of silly to have airships floating in the air and shit and you can't even get on them because they aren't patched in yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom