• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

To be fair it is a 'reward' from FFXIII so it's bound to be mediocre.
They might still be better than early stuff because of the hidden effect. I've not noticed any differences from normal though and I'm not one to mess about finding average damage and parsing.

At least the Onion helm is guaranteed useful because of the lowering of weakness. I'll be keeping it on me forever and popping it on whenever I die even after getting better stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, status update: I'm Rank 5 Phys 5.

Zomba13 said:
At least the Onion helm is guaranteed useful because of the lowering of weakness. I'll be keeping it on me forever and popping it on whenever I die even after getting better stuff.
You can change equipment when you are dead?

Azrael

Zomba13 said:
Not tried selling anything yet as I have nowt to sell but just scrolling through the bag is a lot smoother.

EDIT: This is disappointing. The first rank 1 hand equip I get from a leve is better than the Asuran Armguards. I expected them to be better than rank 1 crap.

The Asuran Armguards are supposed to have a hidden effect that enhances tool use. Just comparing the visible stats of the two items doesn't give a complete picture.

Zomba13 said:
To be fair it is a 'reward' from FFXIII so it's bound to be mediocre.
They might still be better than early stuff because of the hidden effect. I've not noticed any differences from normal though and I'm not one to mess about finding average damage and parsing.

Edit: Oh yeah, status update: I'm Rank 5 Phys 5.

Holy crap that was fast o_o

Zomba13

valenti said:
can anyone try the exp exploit and see if its fixed?
It has been fixed. First thing I tried.
Not really fixed but more nerfed to the point of pointlessness. You get the same skill as from a normal rank 1 mob and no phys exp so you are better off now grinding mobs outside the cities.

DrDogg

Called Game Stop again. They sent an e-mail to all stores saying not to sell the CE before tomorrow. Oh well, I'll be on tomorrow morning as soon as I get it installed.

Kandinsky

So apparently FFXI shoes are awesome, like 24/7 25% mov speed as long as you are not in combat, people need to check if it works in towns, amazing stuff still.

Zomba13

Kandinsky said:
So apparently FFXI shoes are awesome, like 24/7 25% mov speed as long as you are not in combat, people need to check if it works in towns, amazing stuff still.
=/ almost makes me wish I renewed my FFXI account for a month to get them. 25% movement speed + everywhere all the time with them on really adds up over time.

Zomba13 said:
=/ almost makes me wish I renewed my FFXI account for a month to get them. 25% movement speed + everywhere all the time with them on really adds up over time.

Of course if you are going to party with anybody who didn't pay for the FFXI shoes, which will be most people, you have to wait for them to catch up anyways. It might be useful when you are running around alone, though with the lowered anima regen time most people will just teleport to where they want to go. I guess it will at least shorten your first trip from Gridania to Ul'dah or vice versa and running to and from the ferry from Ul'dah to LL.

Oh, right, Amazon shipped my CE via FedEx Overnight. I guess there's no way in hell FedEx can screw that up and I'll have my copy tomorrow!

Kandinsky

Yeah keep in mind thats just reports from people using them now, maybe they dont work at higher levels, if they do work on any/every time/where they probably worth 100 bucks alone:lol

Dineren

Banned
I wish I had taken tomorrow off, I won't be getting any work done. I only hope my PC doesn't choke too hard on it, those requirements are pretty steep.

Dineren said:
I wish I had taken tomorrow off, I won't be getting any work done. I only hope my PC doesn't choke too hard on it, those requirements are pretty steep.

First month is probably going to be pretty bad. I have all of Thanksgiving week off, this game will be getting played like 10 hours a day :lol :lol

1 hour left until I have completed 24 hours of Prime95 Large FFTs on my box. If it finishes a full 24 hours of Large FFTs, I can declare my OC stable and I'll be cocked, locked, and ready to rock when I get my copy of the game tomorrow! If it crashes now I'm going be really pissed off! :lol

I'm still going to do a run of memtest86+ overnight. Memory integrity is at least as important as OC stability, unless your idea of fun is slow and gradual corruption of all your hard drives.

Jonnyram

I'm torn about the shoes. I could probably recover my FFXI character to get them, but it would take ages to install POL and shit. And they'll probably be useless when Chocobos are added, except for fleeing from mobs. Aargh. What should I do!?

Meeru

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I'm torn about the shoes. I could probably recover my FFXI character to get them, but it would take ages to install POL and shit. And they'll probably be useless when Chocobos are added, except for fleeing from mobs. Aargh. What should I do!?
its not worth getting them

Kandinsky

Jonnyram said:
Imo, wait, some ppl reporting they did lose the effect and cant get it to work again.:lol

Salaadin

Can someone with an install disc let me know if it lets you pick a drive to install to? I know the beta did but am curious about retail. I don't want to install it on my C: drive

Meeru

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Imo, wait, some ppl reporting they did lose the effect and cant get it to work again.:lol
naw, its time effect.

MAN I WANNA GO HOME!!!!
thursday and friday im gonna play 24/7

then work on saturday :(

Azrael

Rentahamster said:
So shall we coordinate some kind of commodity to focus on to produce early?

I figure bronze daggers would be fairly easy for individuals to profit from if they start early since all the ingredients are sold by NPCs.

Anything we can craft/farm together as a group to put on the market early? In beta, sheepskin harnesses and dodoskin harnesses had a huuuuuge profit margin and I have a hunch it'll be the same again. I know I made my first 200,000 reselling sheepskin harnesses.

Any ideas? If you crafters got anything in particular you need, I'll do my best to level quickly and farm it.

My plan:

1. Do the first quest for 30,000 gil and farm/harvest some fire shards.
2. Buy Muddy Water from NPC vendors and get Alchemy to rank 11. This step only costs about 10,000 gil.
3. Harvest and farm components for Fish Glue and various dyes.
4. Mad profit.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I asked this earlier but no one responded so I'll try again. Would this game be ideal for someone who misses the MMO genre, but is currently working and attending post secondary education? I know I want to be serious about school, and MMO's are dangerous, but it almost feels like this was made for particularly that reason. Will I satiate myself with 10-15 hours a week of FFXIV?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
demosthenes said:
Elaborate to someone that didn't do much w/ crafting outside of the leves? I got most of them I think to rank 5 :lol
Some high demand weapons and armor require a particular color of leather for the craft to be successful. That was the reason you saw so many people still running around with rank 1 weapons a week into the beta.

Kinitari said:
I asked this earlier but no one responded so I'll try again. Would this game be ideal for someone who misses the MMO genre, but is currently working and attending post secondary education? I know I want to be serious about school, and MMO's are dangerous, but it almost feels like this was made for particularly that reason. Will I satiate myself with 10-15 hours a week of FFXIV?

That's for you to decide. It has a lot of solo content. If you can be ok with playing 10-15 hours a week you can get a lot done unlike in XI where 5 of those hours might have been LFG.

Kandinsky

demosthenes said:
Elaborate to someone that didn't do much w/ crafting outside of the leves? I got most of them I think to rank 5 :lol
I only did leather ones, for those you need to quarry(miner lvl1 works) taupe/gray bugs, i got most of mine in LL zone, then you just simply turn them into sheepleather dye and for that you need alchemy lvl9-10.

Dye recipe was.. Linseed Oil+Taupe/Gray Scale Bugs in Open Beta.

You get the Linseed oil with alchemy as well Flax x 4.

This is all from beta tho, for all we know they could have made dyes available from vendors like in alpha :lol

DrDogg

Unknown Soldier said:
We don't seem to have many people planning to be Tanners, that's going to be a big bottleneck for any armors which require animal skins.

I am the only LS tanner you will ever need. As soon as I get these two work projects done (Friday or so), I will literally have nothing to do other than eat, sleep and play FFXIV (other than when my gf is over).

Kandinsky said:
Zomba noooooo!!!, i wanted to ask if there was any inventory sort option D:

He said there wasn't.

Cathcart

Unknown Soldier said:
We don't seem to have many people planning to be Tanners, that's going to be a big bottleneck for any armors which require animal skins.

I'm going to work on carpenter and leatherworker for crafts. In fact I'm probably going to be doing more crafting than fighting for as long as I can.

Cathcart

How's the UI response time? Can you empty your bags to an NPC in less than an hour?

Oh and crafting. Did anyone try crafting? Does it take a minute and a half to kneel or whats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom