• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amneisac

Despite some frustration with the beta, a fortunately timed influx of birthday Amazon giftcards has given me the opportunity to buy this without feeling too let down if it has an awful launch.

I've signed up on the spreadsheet for Lindblum so I'll see you guys there. I only played a few days of the beta so I'm still not 100% sure on which class I'll play.

Amneisac

So have we worked out any kind of system for who is going to be handing out Linkpearls or whatever the process is for FFXIV?

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:
But on the other hand, the game will be boring if it ends up stupidly easy like it is now - no penalty for death, almost no aggro monsters between towns, have to travel a LONG ways out of the way to find an aggro monster...

I'm not saying the game should be as hard-core as FFXI was, but at least FFXI it was exciting to travel and explore, especially at low levels. It felt awesome the first time you managed to get to Jeuno. In the open beta of this game, it was actually boring to run from one of the major towns to another.

Thats true, but I'm hoping that mob placement will be different in retail, I'm not so bothered about being able to get to the other towns easily.

FWIW getting to Ishgard wasn't that easy, there is plenty of high level stuff to one shot you if your not being careful.

So have we worked out any kind of system for who is going to be handing out Linkpearls or whatever the process is for FFXIV?

Am just guna wait for Tek to give them out, you can always put people on your freinds list until then.

Will buy the PS3 version, though I'm not sure how much time I can invest this time around. A mmorpg basically takes up any time I have for other games. I also hope the state of the game will be better in march.

In the meantime I can think about a character name. In FFXI it was Solidavius as SolidusDave doesn't sound RPG-esque. I played on the server Asura, so I was thinking of keeping my name and using the server name as surname. That way you can identify players from your old server.
"Solidavius Asura" doesn't sound so great, though ^^

I'm glad GAF decided on a server, it will be cool when the whole of FFXIV GAF can play together. Though can someone tell me why this specific server was chosen?

Cathcart

Feep said:
Dammit, Gamestop ran out of the CE. That's what I get for waiting so long.

I think I can still get it on the website, or on Amazon. Which has better shipping?

By the way, I was unaware beta was going to end tonight; I had planned to head over to the final city, Limsa, to make my final decision of where to start. I liked Gridania a LOT more than the ugly Ul'dah.

Should I roll Gridania or Limsa?
I thought Limsa looked really cool but the layout was kind of confusing for a while. I would recommend Gridania since you don't like Uldah, and make sure your first trip to LL is when you have time to walk around and explore. It's a cool city if you are just there to look around but it can be kind of frustrating if you feel like you have to get things done really quickly because you'll probably get lost once or twice.

Zalasta

I feel a bit embarrassed to ask this, but how do you eat food in the game? I made a bunch of salted cod, grilled carp and orange juice but I could not figure out how to use them. Come to think of it do you have to be in a DoW or DoM class in order to use food?

Jinko

Zalasta said:
I feel a bit embarrassed to ask this, but how do you eat food in the game? I made a bunch of salted cod, grilled carp and orange juice but I could not figure out how to use them. Come to think of it do you have to be in a DoW or DoM class in order to use food?

Press U, select the item you want to use and then click on your character or confirm it with enter.

Jinko

I don't think so, there is also an icon at the bottom of the screen where you can access the usable item menu.

Teknoman

Zalasta said:

Either? Might have something to do with stamina regen for food and MP regen for drinks? In beta, you had to use them by the little sack icon on the bottom right.

Ok here is the linkshell plan. I'm going to make the shell on wednesday night or as soon as the game comes in (I have amazon release day shipping and I spoke to teknoman about making it). I'll be on after 6 est barring install woes. I'm starting in limsa lominsa cuz pirates rule. I need a team of volunteers to explore to a central meeting point asap so I can pearl and sack them. I'd like at least 3 people per nation so we can get people in efficiently. Who is interested?

My character name will be Bean Bandit, on lindblum

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'll be going to a midnight release at Gamestop, so I should be in the game pretty early. Please, let me handle your sack.

Salaadin

Ill be a sack holder if one is needed. Ill be in Gridania. Assuming the launch day goes smoothly, Ill be there on Wednesday.

vivin

pancakesandsex said:
Ok here is the linkshell plan. I'm going to make the shell on wednesday night or as soon as the game comes in (I have amazon release day shipping and I spoke to teknoman about making it). I'll be on after 6 est barring install woes. I'm starting in limsa lominsa cuz pirates rule. I need a team of volunteers to explore to a central meeting point asap so I can pearl and sack them. I'd like at least 3 people per nation so we can get people in efficiently. Who is interested?

I "should" have it up and running ready for release. I'm also planning on rolling in Limsa, Character name hopefully is still Taru Taru.

While its a great idea to get several people from different nations as sack holders, thus saving some poor bastard their anima warping all over the world giving people pearls. I think it will also be a good idea to sack people in different time zones. It took me about 1week to get a pearl during beta, since It seemed like hardly anyone was playing during the times I was :lol

Darte

hope32 said:
is anyone playing this game on a laptop? any recommendations?

Asus G73JH

runs around 20-60 fps with everything on high except char rez which is set at resolution, and AA off. I usually go with DoF on since it makes things look pretty and don't notice that much a difference in FPS, but if you are a FPS junkie then better have it off.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah the routes to the cities are pretty safe as long as you stay on the main road. On the other hand, the Coerthas/Ishgard region and the route to Mor Dhana in Gridania is pretty dangerous. I made it thru to Ishgard, but there was no way I could get to Mor Dhana. The narrow pathways of Gridania make it nye impossible to avoid the massive aggie mobs.

Pancakes: You should check the spreadsheet. And I thought you weren't gonna play XIV? Something about it being so broken?

kiryogi said:
Yeah the routes to the cities are pretty safe as long as you stay on the main road. On the other hand, the Coerthas/Ishgard region and the route to Mor Dhana in Gridania is pretty dangerous. I made it thru to Ishgard, but there was no way I could get to Mor Dhana. The narrow pathways of Gridania make it nye impossible to avoid the massive aggie mobs.

Pancakes: You should check the spreadsheet. And I thought you weren't gonna play XIV? Something about it being so broken?

I never said I wasn't gonna play it, though i have complained. I've had a pre order for the LE since June. Maybe you are thinking of someone else?

Re: Spreadsheet - saw it.

vivin said:
I "should" have it up and running ready for release. I'm also planning on rolling in Limsa, Character name hopefully is still Taru Taru.

While its a great idea to get several people from different nations as sack holders, thus saving some poor bastard their anima warping all over the world giving people pearls. I think it will also be a good idea to sack people in different time zones. It took me about 1week to get a pearl during beta, since It seemed like hardly anyone was playing during the times I was :lol

I agree with this.

Canti

pancakesandsex said:

I'm far from reliable so leave me out, but can you try to include some of Euro/Asia GAF so pearls can get out when NA isn't online?

kiryogi

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
I never said I wasn't gonna play it, though i have complained. I've had a pre order for the LE since June. Maybe you are thinking of someone else?

Re: Spreadsheet - saw it.

It was on IRC when I was promoting Eorzea over Vanadiel :lol That said, so you're going to make the LS then? Hopefully I can get on early. It should be same day delivery from bestbuy XD

Yay I didn't triple post.

Linkshell Organization List:

Gaf Name - Character name - Starting City - LE/SE - Timezone

Shellholder:
pancakesandsex - Bean Bandit - Limsa Lominsa - LE - EST

Sackholder Volunteers:
See sheet 2

Please list the information above if you want me to track you down in the first few days for a sack and I'll add you to the list. Gonna add a page to the spreadsheet on the OP as well.

Europeans or otherwise: I'll probably sack most of you on Friday night or the weekend unless you can be on from about 6-10 EST. I don't see it being a problem to at least get you a pearl though. There is usually enough overlap. I'll look into seeing if sackholders can be set to promote others to sackholder status as well.

jsrv

jiggle said:
when can we test out the bonus code we got from FFXIII?
You mean inputting the code? I think we got to register an FFXIV account first because it doesn't seem to work right now

Salaadin

pancakesandsex said:
Salaadin - Salaadin Voivode - Gridania- LE - EST

There ya go :)

They are doing maintenance on the account portion of the website tomorrow night. More payment options are supposed to appear then. Im going to assume we can redeem our codes then as well.

jsrv

kiryogi said:
So does anyone know if the JP FFXIII code will work? Or should I check the FFXIII thread for non-XIV players?
Since accounts are region separated now I'm not sure if it will work with a EU or NA account. Did it spit out a XIV code after you inputted the XIII code into your account?

kiryogi

Banned
jsrv said:
Since accounts are region separated now I'm not sure if it will work with a EU or NA account. Did it spit out a XIV code after you inputted the XIII code into your account?

I haven't tried yet actually. I totally forgot that early copies came with it. And well I imported.

Soroc

Soroc - Soroc Dahydro - Limsa Lominsa - LE - EST

I should be on hopefully Wednesday night around 10pm EST. I'll be on for most of the day on Thursday :D

Bento

Teknoman said:
Everyones supposed to be going to Lindblum (official GAF server), and even though we're making Stars of Destiny LS, i'm not sure who will be around first. Might even be Jinko again like in beta.
Could we have this in the thread title?

Also you will find me on Lindblum as a Sea Wolf Roegadyn named Balfrea Rosenburg (don't laugh!). I'll be bringing a IRL friend into the guild so looking forward to the release on Wednesday :)

Kronotech

Damn. Went into Gamestop today to pre-order CE but they weren't taking pre-orders anymore. I put it off to the last minute for me to make a comfortable decision.

For the people using Amazon, is it still guaranteed to deliver on the 22nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom