• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

I get back from a vacation trip only to find out it`s in maintenance lol

Is it ever possible for you to be able to cast actions from different jobs/classes without switching the classes themselves? I'm only on lvl.38 of ARR MSQ, focusing on a Bard with a Lancer lvl.10 on the side.

kaze343

Is it ever possible for you to be able to cast actions from different jobs/classes without switching the classes themselves? I'm only on lvl.38 of ARR MSQ, focusing on a Bard with a Lancer lvl.10 on the side.

you used to be able to, but that was done thru cross classing. thats gone now. before, feint was something complete different to what it is now, and brd/mch would get it because of bow mage and gun mage.

iammeiam

Joined a random 0-chest okay O2S PF like 40 before maintenance to see what pug life was like.

Surprisingly smooth; slow DPS (we saw the enrage cast start with no deaths outside of both healers being assassinated at one point), but solid mechanics for the most part and ultimate one shot. Which I think makes it cleaner than any of my 'real' clears.

O2 works really well as a introductory fight for Savage. Hopefully I can turn up an O3S page run next week to see how PF handles that.

Maintenance. What am I supposed to do with my life now?

F5 for patch notes, of course.

This was really strange when I came back, a ton of my hot bars were blacked out :lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
SE doing what they should have done before and are axing instances everywhere but Lochs.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/b4914fd0d76b6b65549a06cdbb4979a19ded7462
But...but...my...hunts.....

make-you-cry.gif

Frumix

Suffering From Success
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodes...41.242694701.1501816284-2107503563.1383107671

TLDR, prices going back to what they were before for a limited time, and players that were affected will get 30 days of play time added to their account.

the seasonal event as well.

Oh, free 30 days, I'll take it SE, thanks

WHY'D YOU BUFF NIN AND BRD THO

MechaX

Hoooly fuck BRD SS buff out of nowhere. But at least you can do songs now without targeting.

Now the SMN "buffs"... Da faq

iammeiam

RIP SMN, may you have a massive rework coming.

The bard timer changes are kind of funny. I didn't really think the job needed to be any more streamlined?

MCH changes are... interesting:

Machinist

Action Adjustment
Hot Shot Effect duration increased from 30 to 60 seconds.
Gauss Barrel Damage increase when overheated changed from 10% to 20%.
Recast time reduced from 10 to 2 seconds.
Dismantle Recast time reduced from 90 to 60 seconds.
Flamethrower Increase to Heat Gauge during use changed from 10 to 20.

They
put Overheat back where it was during the media preview
made Overheat Worth It!

Hot Shot change is kind of just there. Dismantle change is solid--git rekt Almagest. Flamethrower change is alright for what it is; it's still dumb that there's a skill whose primary usage is "stand there while this bar ticks up" but at least you stand there only half as long now.

I'm interpreting the recast timer as penalty phase is still in place, it just no longer does the dumb thing where you're locked out of GB for 10 seconds if you reflex hit the button.

Hot Shot change kind of goes with the Straight Shot change in the "ok... I guess? sure?" bucket

I'm reading them as straight potency increases, unless they've merely removed the positional requirement.

What, no?

Here's what Heavy Thrust was:
Delivers an attack with a potency of 100.
180 when executed from a target's flank.
Additional Effect: Increases damage dealt by 15%
Duration: 30s

Now if you miss the positional it's 140. It's not a buff, it's a lower penalty for screwing up. If you were hitting your positional reliably, nothing changes.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm reading them as straight potency increases, unless they've merely removed the positional requirement.

Heavy Thrust is 180 potency from flank
But now if you miss flank it's 140 and not 100
Same with WT and F&C.
And same with Chaos Thrust.

If you hit your positionals, nothing changed. It's a buff only if you miss them.

Hot Shot change kind of goes with the Straight Shot change in the "ok... I guess? sure?" bucket

It's free damage for both

Reducing that penalty for missing a positional on DRG is nice. This expansion, for whatever reason, has been a lot trickier to nail those positionals with (so many enemies love to spin around frequently), not to mention the times you have to stack on something's butt or whatever.

Bowlie

Banned
I'm interpreting the recast timer as penalty phase is still in place, it just no longer does the dumb thing where you're locked out of GB for 10 seconds if you reflex hit the button.

I used to do that a lot, had to move the skill away from any others...

Guess Who

Banned
Glad for the BRD song fixes. It was tremendously annoying when you'd use a song on a boss that just went "invincible" - it'd put the song on cooldown but not actually grant the effect of the song, so you just lose the whole thing.

The other two changes are just straight buffs, which, you won't hear me complaining

MogCakes

What, no?

Here's what Heavy Thrust was:

Now if you miss the positional it's 140. It's not a buff, it's a lower penalty for screwing up. If you were hitting your positional reliably, nothing changes.

Heavy Thrust is 180 potency from flank
But now if you miss flank it's 140 and not 100
Same with WT and F&C.

Now, Chaos Thrust did get a buff by 10 potency on initial hit.

Oh that's right. WT and FC are 290 with positionals.

It does make parts of O3S easier to keep up DPS though. Now I'm just sad eyes are still tied to botd.

BLCKATK

I won't be holding my breath. I was expecting decent potency increases on multiple spells, not slight increases on the 2 dot spells...

This sucks. :(

I mean I'm not too sure just how much you could buff each spell. You could give like 20 more potency to the Ruin suite and maybe increase Bahamut's damage slightly, or buff their AoE, but too much and you'll break it.

What honestly really needs to get adjusted is the entire flow of the rotation. There is some serious clunk to it, though a lot of it is extremely interesting and satisfying to pull off. You can buff the spells as much as you want but when it's that annoying to execute in a satisfying way, it's still going to drive people away from the job.

They said only potency stuff in this patch, so maybe a bigger adjust is on the way in 4.1.

Ixion fate now gives 6 horns if you get gold, lmaooooo

Lol, what a slap in the face. But then again their servers are so shite it's like I expect this to happen... lol. So someone can get ixion in 2 fates making the mount rarity go very down and it can still pop 3 times. That just feels like I wasted my time but whatever xD.

iammeiam

The bard changes just finish the job of making everything align itself so you don't have to, which I can see being something people wanted; Hot Shot is weird largely because an extra filler GCD a minute doesn't address the gameplay loop issue unless they were seeing too many people dropping HS mid-Wildfire.

I used to do that a lot, had to move the skill away from any others...

I had to move it somewhere more readily visible because I kept hitting it when I wouldn't see GB in my buff bar. Now it's just on the main crossbar so I can at least see when the icon's wrong.

I'll be curious to see how the math works out on all of it now. 4.06 but the core mechanic of SB MCH might actually be worth using! Maybe! :D

Squishy3

what the fuck is that hot shot change lol.

gauss barrel change reads weirdly, because i can't tell if it's changing the base cooldown to 2 secs and if that'll be reflected in overheating. flamethrower change is kinda weird? their position on heat generation is kinda all over the place which isn't really a problem with the way the class works. although I guess now you only need 2 ticks of flamethrower instead of 4 during the opener, i guess?

scy

While my initial reaction was to also go "What the shit?" at the Summoner things, it IS still +25% to their DoTs and amounts to around a 5% increase. It's still a really lame band-aid change on a job that has systems in need of improving / scrapping but still. 5%.

I really hope they have something to show off pre-4.1 for the actual systems changes for Machinist and Summoner and it's not just "Please Look Forward To It", Greatest Hits volume 41.

scy

I really think the BRD and MCH designers are in some perpetual blood feud and any change to one of the jobs requires the other to be compensated somehow. Did they get this added to their contracts or something?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Overheat penalty reduction is nice as is being able to forget about hot shot for a little while, lukewarm on pretty much everything else

It's not overheat penalty change.
You still get 10s lockout from overheat - it was always a separate thing.
They changed recast timer though so if you turn GB off manually you only get 2s downtime.
This is basically for 52-62 range because you have absolutely no way to manage heat then and overheat at the most inopportune times.

I thought they said those would be minor changes, minor patch and all. I think you couldn't expect massive rotation/mechanics changes for this, probably 4.1 at best. Number wise, SMNs are not like super super terrible. Have to remember they bring a bunch of utility, although it isn't the greatest, they have a rez(but tied to swiftcast kinda), they have magic def debuff and they have some weird single target buff that I'm not sure exactly what it does. So their numbers being relatively close to Ninja is not great but not terrible either. Granted they probably could have buffed more. 5% overall damage buff is pretty substantial though considering how relatively close a bunch of the DPS are.

Bard change is kinda nice, a bit less to keep track of and should be a small DPS increase since it means you won't need to using a straight shot proc on straight shot as often and can refulgent instead.

MCH stuff I like, especially reducing their "reprisal" thing to 1min like Reprisal, means you can kinda catch every tank buster or big aoe in most fights. 60secs hotshot will be nice for my potd soloing nonsense too.

DRG changes are nice for positionals, will also massively boost their soloing, although I don't feel that was super necessary. Wish they'd do that for monk too, increase non positional potency. OBviously monk is in a good spot already but it'd be pretty nice.

heard from the grapevine that the smn changes are about 400 potency buffs per minute. Not sure if true.

BRD got a slight buff. its more of a QOL change.

MCH got some good and some ehh? FT is just a wierd one, I guess its to reinforce the idea that you want to overheat every minute now for WT. Hotshot is whatever, but the big one was the OH buff to 20%.

As predicted since 4.0, SAM were never meta picks and they need buffs rather than nerfs if they want to stay meta.

DPS comp is almost for sure DRG+BRD+NIN+MNK if triple melee is possible. The comp just works together too wellIf you have to run double range then it would be DRG+NIN/MNK+BLM/RDM+BRD. BLM just simply destroy the other casters in raw dps and I don't think raid dps contribution from embolden straight up blows out the initial dps difference between BLM and RDM.

Overall all classes balance wise is fine. SMN need ton of QOL changes. I don't think their dps is low, I just think at the moment they have a very high skill ceiling and therefore nobody knows where their true dps lies in fights yet.

Top Bottom