• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

kaze343

heard from the grapevine that the smn changes are about 400 potency buffs per minute. Not sure if true.

BRD got a slight buff. its more of a QOL change.

MCH got some good and some ehh? FT is just a wierd one, I guess its to reinforce the idea that you want to overheat every minute now for WT. Hotshot is whatever, but the big one was the OH buff to 20%.

As predicted since 4.0, SAM were never meta picks and they need buffs rather than nerfs if they want to stay meta.

DPS comp is almost for sure DRG+BRD+NIN+MNK if triple melee is possible. The comp just works together too wellIf you have to run double range then it would be DRG+NIN/MNK+BLM/RDM+BRD. BLM just simply destroy the other casters in raw dps and I don't think raid dps contribution from embolden straight up blows out the initial dps difference between BLM and RDM.

Overall all classes balance wise is fine. SMN need ton of QOL changes. I don't think their dps is low, I just think at the moment they have a very high skill ceiling and therefore nobody knows where their true dps lies in fights yet.

its 200 potency from what a few on reddit are saying.(5% increase in total dmg)

one thing i see a lot of people toss around is the word clunky. the only part of smn i have felt has any clunkiness is devotion. that shit is annoying as hell. the other things brought up do need to happen tho. (sustain, ruin3 and 4 need a slight buff, make tri-bind not ass, give an aetherflow trait to increase it to 20%) I wont say im an amazing smn(I suck at the job) but for the most part, I felt like i was having fun with the things given.

I didn't feel like I needed that Bard change but I'm more than happy to take it. Also thank god they finally changed the rewards for the ixion fate.

one thing i see a lot of people toss around is the word clunky. the only part of smn i have felt has any clunkiness is devotion. that shit is annoying as hell. the other things brought up do need to happen tho. (sustain, ruin3 and 4 need a slight buff, make tri-bind not ass, give an aetherflow trait to increase it to 20%) I wont say im an amazing smn(I suck at the job) but for the most part, I felt like i was having fun with the things given.

The clunky part of Summoner from my understanding(mind you I just did the story quest and then desynthed my book, although I got a new one from Susano later) is the whole building Bahamut thing which takes a long time, and you have to pop it at the right time and maximize damage output during it which is clunky when it doesn't line up with phase changes and stuff, plus if you die you're super fucked, kinda like Dragoons(but Dragoons can also drop eyes randomly in the middle of a fight if the break is too long, while I believe SMN never lose their stacks). Also Bahamut itself is clunky, largely because it follows you around so it interupts its own casts if you move, and you have to be spamming Ruin II or something to get the damage procs faster or whatever, honestly I don't know exactly how it works as I never used it, but I read something like that.

Basically, the main SB mechanic the class is built around is annoying to do and use, can be completely messed up easily and creates a stupid skill ceiling and extreme punishment for death(on top of the usual do no damage for 1minute penalty), which was already punished heavily by Aetherflow cd not refreshing on rez.

Meanwhile the utility and damage aren't compensated versus a much easier class to play like RDM which has similar performance and better utility, to a certain extent when you still need rez, once you stop using rez as utility due to farm status, it becomes closer, although Embolden feels more potent than a mdef debuff due to the nature of most raid compositions favoring physical damage dealers.

It's interesting that they made several changes to DRG and BLM rotations from HW because they were too punishing if you failed and required too much attention and what not, and then added similar mechanics to SMN and DRG(again, because why not).

kaze343

The clunky part of Summoner from my understanding(mind you I just did the story quest and then desynthed my book, although I got a new one from Susano later) is the whole building Bahamut thing which takes a long time, and you have to pop it at the right time and maximize damage output during it which is clunky when it doesn't line up with phase changes and stuff, plus if you die you're super fucked, kinda like Dragoons(but Dragoons can also drop eyes randomly in the middle of a fight if the break is too long, while I believe SMN never lose their stacks). Also Bahamut itself is clunky, largely because it follows you around so it interupts its own casts if you move, and you have to be spamming Ruin II or something to get the damage procs faster or whatever, honestly I don't know exactly how it works as I never used it, but I read something like that.

Basically, the main SB mechanic the class is built around is annoying to do and use, can be completely messed up easily and creates a stupid skill ceiling and extreme punishment for death(on top of the usual do no damage for 1minute penalty), which was already punished heavily by Aetherflow cd not refreshing on rez.

Meanwhile the utility and damage aren't compensated versus a much easier class to play like RDM which has similar performance and better utility, to a certain extent when you still need rez, once you stop using rez as utility due to farm status, it becomes closer, although Embolden feels more potent than a mdef debuff due to the nature of most raid compositions favoring physical damage dealers.

It's interesting that they made several changes to DRG and BLM rotations from HW because they were too punishing if you failed and required too much attention and what not, and then added similar mechanics to SMN and DRG(again, because why not).

ok, i can see it when said this way. I cant say for sure if bahamut prioritizes using wyrm wave over moving( almost sure he picks to follow you before anything else) but he should just have a static location when summoned based on you, and stay there. that should fix that part. the build up part to it (as well as the build up for LOTD) sucks, and i wish there was a way to get there faster, but that is almost for sure going to come along with a potency nerf if SE track record is to be used as a guide. so in that case, i will take the higher pot.

From what I'm told SMN is basically the worst job in the game for prog because if they die at the wrong time they're completely fucked for like 3 minutes. What causes that? Losing Bahamut stacks?
Wonder how that change to overheat is going to effect WF. So they made BRD even better??
BRD is mostly QoL stuff, they're gaining some damage sure but it shouldn't even get into 3 digits potency over a 10 minute fight, pretty negligible.

BLCKATK

From what I'm told SMN is basically the worst job in the game for prog because if they die at the wrong time they're completely fucked for like 3 minutes. What causes that? Losing Bahamut stacks?

There is a lot of weird optimization that goes into an optimal summoner rotation right now, primarily the idea that you are constantly fighting a cooldowns clock to use everything in order so everything is lining up. To be effective, you need Aetherflow to be on cooldown each time you enter trance if you can, since trance locks you out of the aetherflow. Then you need to get through two trances to gain enough aether to summon Bahamut (2), and then you can use Bahamut. You can't use trance when he is out, but in order to get the most out of Bahamut, you should have Aetherflow to use those oGCD abilities so he uses Wyrmwave a bunch (plus Addle, which is supposed to be a utility skill but SMN needs to to trigger an additional Wyrmwave). Finally, you need to make sure you are capitalizing on Rouse when Bahamut isn't on the field.

If you die at any point all those times are gonna get messed up and you aren't going to be on track to line up, which can really throw off your numbers.

MechaX

If that's all you found clunky, consider yourself lucky.

Personally, I jumped ship for a variety of reasons. The class itself is unintuitive because after all the time the game forced you to maximize DWT to the absolute limit, now it's better to sometimes throw away entire DWTs with immediate Deathflares because "you want your aetherflow to be on CD as soon as possible" or more likely "the boss is going to jump soon and completely throw your timing of everything off." The pet actions are still slow as fuck to use and mashing out things like Contagion and Enkindle are even worse than in HW because you have to use Contagion before your burst phases (before, you could just mash Contagion a bit in an oGCD moment in DWT because the effect was completely different). Bahamut is awkward because I cannot believe the developers intended this mode to be "Ruin II Spam Mode" with the wyrmwaves (which is a problem in of itself because accounting for 1.5 seconds is harder than you think when you press a button too soon). And that's not even getting into Bahamut moving and spazzing out, Bahamut's Akh Morn times doing 0 damage at 2 secs, and being yelled at by blocking party mechanics. And if you die, you better have Lucid Dream up, because Aetherflow's regen isn't enough for a pet summon; so good luck getting your pet back up, and waiting up to 2 minutes to get decent DPS back on track, while also suffering from a death debuff.

... Yeah, SMN is just a mess top to bottom in this expansion.

Omni

Yeah, I loved SMN in 3.0. Got it to 70 with SCH yesterday and it just feels... off.

Guess I'm sticking to Ninja for my DPS. Which is totally a-okay because Ninja is awesome right now

Finally finished Mog beastmen tribe quest stuff, it was pretty terrible. Doesn't help that you basically don't get any reward for it currently unless you have low lvl crafters. The story itself was quite nice I thought but the daillies were fairly horrible with a few being especially annoying.

blar

Neo Member
Okay so I'm still relatively new to this game (been playing for a few months), and I have a Lvl 70 NIN. I'm confused about a few things:

First what the hell is even the point of the changes they made with the latest patch? If I'm reading it right, potency for Aeolian Edge is the same as long as you're where you're supposed to be (280+160 = 260+180) and slightly better than before if you're out of position, but I mean....just don't be out of position, right?

And second, can someone explain or point me to a guide that explains how I'm supposed to use the "utility" part of my class? I haven't done any raiding/savage stuff yet, so I don't think I've been in a situation where it's necessary, but is it mostly managing aggro with Shadewalker/Smoke Screen? I mean obviously Trick Attack is a huge party-wide buff, but what else should I be doing? There's Goad as well, but all melee DPS have access to that now.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Okay so I'm still relatively new to this game (been playing for a few months), and I have a Lvl 70 NIN. I'm confused about a few things:

First what the hell is even the point of the changes they made with the latest patch? If I'm reading it right, potency for Aeolian Edge is the same as long as you're where you're supposed to be (280+160 = 260+180) and slightly better than before if you're out of position, but I mean....just don't be out of position, right?

And second, can someone explain or point me to a guide that explains how I'm supposed to use the "utility" part of my class? I haven't done any raiding/savage stuff yet, so I don't think I've been in a situation where it's necessary, but is it mostly managing aggro with Shadewalker/Smoke Screen? I mean obviously Trick Attack is a huge party-wide buff, but what else should I be doing? There's Goad as well, but all melee DPS have access to that now.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
The difference is that NIN is less punished by mechanics now. Some fights force you into positions where you can't do positionals so now you do more damage in those situations.

Also yeah, NIN's utility comes from using Shadewalker/Smokescreen to enable party members to be greedier with their damage. Shadewalker lets the tank go crazier with pure damage combos and stance dancing while Smokescreen gives healers and bursty DPS more wiggle room, specially when the MT turns tank stance off.

Qvoth

anybody knows if the new ultros fate thing for this summer event drops anything special? or it's just the voucher thing?

blar

Neo Member
The difference is that NIN is less punished by mechanics now. Some fights force you into positions where you can't do positionals so now you do more damage in those situations.

Also yeah, NIN's utility comes from using Shadewalker/Smokescreen to enable party members to be greedier with their damage. Shadewalker lets the tank go crazier with pure damage combos and stance dancing while Smokescreen gives healers and bursty DPS more wiggle room, specially when the MT turns tank stance off.

Got it, thank you! Are Shadewalker and Smoke Screen skills that I should pop as soon as they're up, or are there specific situations they should be saved for?

So are they trying to make MCH into just a ranged mostly DPS now?

I mean our utility comes from the role system unless I'm forgetting something. It needs one or two good debuffs so they're desirable as BRD. Not sure if I want to pick back up that class, I don't mind a little responsibility but I hate to be the class that holds the party's hand every fight, what am I a healer?

Vhalyar

I mean our utility comes from the role system unless I'm forgetting something. It needs one or two good debuffs so they're desirable as BRD. Not sure if I want to pick back up that class, I don't mind a little responsibility but I hate to be the class that holds the party's hand every fight, what am I a healer?
They did make Dismantle into a 60s cool down. It's... a start.

Rua

Got it, thank you! Are Shadewalker and Smoke Screen skills that I should pop as soon as they're up, or are there specific situations they should be saved for?

Depends on how familiar with the fight you are. If not very much then yeah, I'd use them on cooldown.

If you know some time in the fight that the off tank needs to grab an add for example, then you can hold off your shadewalker for a bit. This can help them get enmity on it quickly when it shows up.

Sometimes the timers just line up nicely though.
In Omega 3 Savage I use shadewalker at the start of the fight and it comes off cool down exactly at the time an add pops up.

iammeiam

It's not getting most of the hype, but the Dismantle change is pretty solid for MCH utility. 10% damage down on the boss for all damage types, and it's up every minute. Casters have Addle, which covers magic damage. Melee have Feint, which debuff physical damage. Bard has HP Up, Phys Vuln Down, and Magic Vuln Down. None of those cover the dark damage type, Addle and Feint are 120s cooldowns, and Troubadour for Bard is on a three minute CD and requires bard to be in the desired song to get the desired effect.

Dismantle CD being 60s means you can get twice the uses (the shorter duration does mean timing is more important), it functions independent of the MCH's rotation, and you don't have to care about the type of damage because it will work on anything the thing you're hitting casts.

My first thought was basically "it could be up for EVERY Almagest! Even the one that sucks!"

If they go the Holy Bleed route of attacks cast by things outside the map, it's useless, but the Dismantle buff is good.

Eh, Hypercharge isn't a game changer anymore but it does hold up respectably against Bard's pile off smaller damage buffs. I'm mostly curious to see how the changes math out in actual fights; I kind of wish they'd just changed Hot Shot to apply piercing debuff as well as a smaller personal buff and adjusted potencies to match.

The fixes are a decent band-aid; it won't keep parity with BRD long-term, but for the moment it's not awful.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Meanwhile off the beach of Costa del Sol...

gBCLO45.jpg

It's a cat-astrophe!

Has anyone actually tested and confirmed Bahamut movement is a problem? I just tested it on a dummy by running away from Bahamut the whole time he was summoned, and he still cast 11 wyrmwaves(usually the max possible) and both Akh Morns.

I really hope SE doesn't change the way Wyrmwave works, beyond obviously doing something to prevent Addle being a DPS boost. I actually enjoy trying to fit all of the Wyrmwaves in, so if he just passively attacked like the other egis it would be a bummer. It also makes it easier to have him switch targets easily, and he buffers the wyrmwaves so i don't see the 1.5 s cooldown thing being a problem in the first place. :/

What's the DPS difference between pentameld 320 gear and omega 320 gear?

Just as a very rough estimate, I would say about 0.4% more damage increase per piece of equipment.

The way I calculated that is Pentameld gets you 64 more of the secondary stat(s) you meld. And it looks like around 150 Direct Hit gives you a 1% damage increase. 64/150*1% is about 0.4%.

You would also have to consider which secondary stats you're getting on the melded piece vs the omega piece, based on how you prioritize secondaries.

iammeiam

On the fence about continuing to Raid after this tier is down.

Seeing a surprising amount of people stepping back and/or groups dissolving post-4S. It's sort of surprising, but it's definitely shaping up to be a thing.

Probably too early but are their any adjusted openers/rotations for MCH?

Auiri has modified two and three ammo openers on Twitter. Two ammo here

Rinchan will probably have stuff later today but unsure it'll vary too much.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm going to participate in the Season 5 of the Feast (First time e participating in a Feast Season) so I wanted to ask usually how long do these Seasons last? Also has there been any indication on when the GARO event ends?

I'm going to participate in the Season 5 of the Feast (First time e participating in a Feast Season) so I wanted to ask usually how long do these Seasons last? Also has there been any indication on when the GARO event ends?

I think it'll end when this season ends, like they wanted to leave it up for new players and what not, but who knows. And no idea about how long seasons last, I'd assume 3months cause like, it's a season but haven't checked previous ones.

I'm almost done farming the Garo stuff myself, I still need the Ninja armor and then a bunch of weapons for the classes that I have already bought armor on so that's still pretty long but at the same time that's just the titles so I don't care too much. I also need 3more wins for the last mount, could have grinded it out but at this point I'm just waiting to get the wins in daily frontlines anyway. I got most of the 60wins in a couple of days of leveling bard doing Feast 8v8 late night with instant queues, got from 68 to 70 basically just doing PvP on my bard and was surprisingly fast.

Luminaire

Seeing a surprising amount of people stepping back and/or groups dissolving post-4S. It's sort of surprising, but it's definitely shaping up to be a thing.

While the content is easy compared to previous raids, I find myself wondering if I want to commit myself for 9-12 hours a week for Raid for the next two years again.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I think it'll end when this season ends, like they wanted to leave it up for new players and what not, but who knows. And no idea about how long seasons last, I'd assume 3months cause like, it's a season but haven't checked previous ones.

Ah but of course I should have thought of that! Apparently a Season lasts roughly 10 weeks and ouch it going to take some real commitment on my end if I want to break the top 100 by the end of the Season if I have to constantly PVP for 10 Weeks...I almost wish the Season was shorter.

aceface

While the content is easy compared to previous raids, I find myself wondering if I want to commit myself for 9-12 hours a week for Raid for the next two years again.

Don't burn yourself out. Go casual like me and do 3 lockouts a week. In the middle of O3S atm.

Astral

Is there a way to instantly remove all of the hud? This game looks gorgeous during the day and I've been wanting to take screenshots on PS4.

Top Bottom