• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Qvoth

yeah i think i got stuck at <10% for 3 weeks or so in pugs
basically if your group can't reach about 52-53% when neo casts GC omega then the party just doesn't have enough dps for the kill, i'd say 54% is the absolute max considering rng and pots
nevermore cast @ 17-18% is also another tell

Rua

How long did it take you guys to past O4S Exdeath? (Not Neo)

My static has been at it for like 8 raid nights @ 2 hours each night and I'm getting raid fatigue already. We've made it to enrage but can't get there consistently yet without people dying.

Omni

Took us hmmm. Maybe a three or four days but that was back in week 2.

It's just something that /everyone/ needs to understand otherwise you're gonna run into trouble. Once it clicks with everyone in the group, the rest is a breeze however. Especially Neo

Sorian

Banned
I still stand by the statement that regular exdeath is harder than neo overall. Neo has more moving pieces but they are a lot easier to manage. The way blackholes work with exdeath just makes things a little too RNG heavy and repetition definitely makes things more manageable but you will still run into issues with the blizzard/flare phase just because of bad luck which is crippling when no one has neo weapons yet and is trivialized when you can push through with a couple deaths from the bump in dps.

iammeiam

My static has been at it for like 8 raid nights @ 2 hours each night and I'm getting raid fatigue already. We've made it to enrage but can't get there consistently yet without people dying.

What are people dying to? We got through pretty quickly, but probably the most relevant way of putting the time is it took us roughly half as long doing the fight to get past Exdeath in O4S as it took us to kill O3S, and killing Neo took us like four times as much in-instance time. Neo would die a lot sooner with the gear we have now, I think, but Exdeath would probably still have taken us the couple lockouts it did.

Rua

What are people dying to? We got through pretty quickly, but probably the most relevant way of putting the time is it took us roughly half as long doing the fight to get past Exdeath in O4S as it took us to kill O3S, and killing Neo took us like four times as much in-instance time. Neo would die a lot sooner with the gear we have now, I think, but Exdeath would probably still have taken us the couple lockouts it did.

The first black hole is the major wall right now. I hate to blame the healers since I know they have more things to deal with here, but they're the ones holding us back right now I think.

The healer with the stack marker will go to the center too soon and clip a DPS with their Fire III, or go in too late and they die with the marker, or sometimes we just all die to the marker because no one got healed after being hit with their Fire IIIs.

We've gotten past it sometimes but never without deaths yet.

Omni

The first black hole is the major wall right now. I hate to blame the healers since I know they have more things to deal with here, but they're the ones holding us back right now I think.

The healer with the stack marker will go to the center too soon and clip a DPS with their Fire III, or go in too late and they die with the marker, or sometimes we just all die to the marker because no one got healed after being hit with their Fire IIIs.

Healer fire III will go off when there is 7 seconds left on the HP down de-buff. Holy is two seconds later? I think. If they don't already know that, then it helps a lot when it comes to planning when to go in for the stack

Also earthly star and assize lines up pretty well for those too so if they plan ahead it's super manageable. Hell, even a swiftcast medica as you're running in is enough to have everyone topped off enough to survive

NA Live Letter Thread updated with 'official' translation of the job changes mentioned:

Surecast 50000% better in Exfaust, I'm increasingly convinced Hypercharge isn't just going to be turret auto buffs, Shake It Off becomes a lot more interesting.

EVERYTHING STILL SUBJECT TO CHANGE disclaimer in place, but confirming the Sustain change is class not job level.

This is actually really annoying. I don't understand why they won't work on MNK. The class is so much fun but the stuff they added in SB is garbage. I thought they would add some flashy abilities or some harder hitting attacks like they did with every other job. Looks like I'm sticking to my DRK.

Qvoth

i dunno how western teams do it, but for some jp groups there are people that do the 2nd blackhole somewhere near the edge (i actually prefer this method) instead of the standard boss in the middle
when you do the 2nd black hole near the edge, whichever dps that gets flare will have much less down time compared to having the boss in the middle, because the edge of the arena is literally just 1-2 steps away

Too long. A lot of lag issues, needing subs and healers worrying about pointless shit made us waste several weeks in it. We still cant consistently clear it.

That said, how are you guys dodging black holes?

komaruR

They finally fixing surecast? I mean making it true to its description like in sb. It was stupid that rn surecast is used and only stick around if you use no castbar abilities. That is not what the description says when it makes a casting uninterrupt able

Qvoth

listening to the untempered primals OST
makes you appreciate soken more
AU7Amsc.gif

iammeiam

The good news is that this is the 'right' spot to be struggling with the fight; if you were having issues elsewhere it'd be abnormal, but the first Black Hole is the think-on-your-feet part and where you should expect to spend the bulk of your prog.

Other people have already given good advice, but I'll tack on some more stuff:

- Not sure what your healer configuration is, but you can have a healer cast a shield to land right after Black hole cast finishes. You have a few seconds after the holes appear where they won't do anything, so the healer has time to finish the cast and then get to position. The shield will help absorb some of the Fire III damage. HoTs rolling helps a little too.

- As mentioned, Earthly Star/Assize/Indom are all really good for healing up for the stack. Star has pet delay on explosion, so landing the heal at the right time may take a few attempts, but it helps. Swift is great, and if you have an AST Lightspeed is A+ here. They should not be planning to hardcast anything before the stack resolves; it's possible to do but not necessary and by just planning instants the actual Black Hole spawn patterns should be irrelevant.

- Make sure non-healers aren't making it harder than it needs to be. As soon as DPS Fire 3 goes off, stack up tight. The less space DPS are taking up, the closer healers can be to the stack when they eat their Fire 3. I run on AST, so I plant a star mid and after DPS Fire hits, I run in and stand at the edge of the star. That way I can pop it when my Fire lands, everyone gets the heal, and we're close to the stack so running in is easy. If DPS stay loosely spread out, they can force healers to wait further out or do extra movement which makes stacking awkward.

- Utility skills are good here. Troubadour's Minuet will help reduce the damage everyone takes in that section and is literally free as the Bard should be in Minuet around there anyway. If you have a PLD, Divine Veil is an option. Mantra to boost the healing on the party at the start of Black Hole will mean slightly stronger shields, etc. These aren't mandatory or anything, but they can help.

- Everyone needs to make sure they have enough of a lead on their tether before they stack. The holes do not despawn until after Holy hits. If the tether is too short, the hole will continue to catch up and can clip somebody in the stack and one-shot them.

- Maybe take a couple of pulls solely to focus on positioning and ignore the healing part if you have to. Let the healers get a feel for timing, make sure nobody feels boxed in by the positioning, etc. don't even worry about surviving the stack, just make sure everyone gets there.

i dunno how western teams do it, but for some jp groups there are people that do the 2nd blackhole somewhere near the edge (i actually prefer this method) instead of the standard boss in the middle
when you do the 2nd black hole near the edge, whichever dps that gets flare will have much less down time compared to having the boss in the middle, because the edge of the arena is literally just 1-2 steps away

I think tank him dead center is slowly falling out of favor in the west, but unless/until updated guides with the better positioning PF will probably defer to dragging him to middle for everything even though it's harder than it needs to be.

But, yeah, edge or GTFO for the second set of holes.

iammeiam

We do "part way in" on first set, then cede the top chunk of the map to the DPS to do their thing. The half movement inwards lets them spread out without cutting him off, etc, while also letting us have the stack be relatively centered so we're not running the map to get to stack. It also made the actual hole spawn locations super irrelevant, since everyone has a ton of space to adjust, which was nice.

But I'm used to seeing PFs wanting to do "Xeno strat" even though I think Xeno moved to partway in eventually, and the couple of times we've tagged in randoms they've been used to doing mid.

Yeah, many of the strats on the Xeno vid are week 1 stuff even he doesn't use anymore.

Still I'll take that as opposed to some really fucking weird strats I've seen on PF. My favourite one is the BH2 strat that would place boss at the exact edge and tanks/healers would start glued to the boss then tanks go clockwise and healers go counter clockwise so being a DPS at that time essentially meant you had to dodge every single Blizz AoE and 4-7 Black holes. Fun stuff.

MechaX

They're finally going to make Tri-Bind go from completely useless to mostly useless.

I love how they were like "SMN didn't have aoe potential outside of Deathflare, so we make Tri Bind better!" like they don't remember that fucking Bane and Shadow Flare were infinitely more useful back in HW.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Took my group a few weeks at around 5 hours per week. Maybe 15ish hours in total? The amount of actual time we get on Exdeath is limited by the ~45 mins or so we take to clear 1-3 as well. We saw enrage for a few nights before we got our first clear. Even though we've been doing prog for Neo Exdeath for weeks now, we still sometimes take like 30-45 minutes getting past Exdeath himself if it's a bad night. And sometimes it just clicks and he goes down in two pulls. It's weird.

Black holes are the hardest part, and the enrage timer means you can't afford more than one death or so during progression. RNG also matters, as the random move that you get when he comes back after The Decisive Battle can mean a few seconds of lost DPS time for half the freaking party.

My group tanks Exdeath near due north for both black holes - roughly where he stands when you start the fight. Tanks and healers (the guys with tethers) go to pre-assigned spots on teh edges of the map and all rotate clockwise. DPS get the middle of the arena to dodge blizzards and fires before stacking in the middle. The tanks and healers shuffle clockwise along the edge while the DPS fires go out, then move a little towards the middle (but outside Fire III range), wait for their Fires to go off, then enter the middle stack for Holy. Our healers had trouble getting this part down too, since it's a combination of moving and healing. They both have to save key instant heal spells and things like Swiftcast in the process. It also helps to debuff Exdeath while he casts Black Hole so that the initial hit doesn't hit as hard (but ration those debuffs as you'll need them later for Meteor too).

It works, but it's still finnicky sometimes if someone gets screwed by crappy black hole placement.

aceface

late with this but are those from SE or from fans ?

They are from SE. I think the Viera Pic was concept art when they were considering making them the new playable race for Heavensward. But, they decided to go with Au Ra instead. I don't know if they will ever make Viera playable since their ears makes modelling headgear a pain. They could just have the ears disappear and you would assume they wrap their ears around their heads or something I guess, I dunno.

They are from SE. I think the Viera Pic was concept art when they were considering making them the new playable race for Heavensward. But, they decided to go with Au Ra instead. I don't know if they will ever make Viera playable since their ears makes modelling headgear a pain. They could just have the ears disappear and you would assume they wrap their ears around their heads or something I guess, I dunno.
They make special versions of most headgear for cats with cat ear slots, making one for bunnies would probably take as much effort.

Anyone got any questions about Patch 4.1 stuff? You have some time to post them and I'll be sending them over to Square Enix with my own questions.

accx

Not sure if i should stay on Ultros (I'm returning from release, in EU) or transfer...
Is it viable for me to stay on Ultros? Where's EU gaf located otherwise?
I'm guessing i'm gonna have to pay for a transfer at this point?
I only played at release 2.0 for 3 months or so. Got all the expansions now and kinda don't want to lose my progress... Although i remember nothing, so maybe starting fresh would be nice. But yea, which EU servers is preferred, then?
Thanks!

Kyzer

Banned
Anyone got any questions about Patch 4.1 stuff? You have some time to post them and I'll be sending them over to Square Enix with my own questions.

I'd be curious to know their findings on how jump potions have worked out thus far and how they plan to roll them out in the future, in terms of the limit per character changing over time.

Dinjoralo

What're the rewards for doing the Alliance Roulette? I want people doing that so I can finally see what all the hubbub is about.

Rua

Thanks for the tips guys, hope we can make some progress on O4S tonight.

Hope I'm not too late to ask

They talked before about adding some sort of map rotation to Frontlines (PvP) since people really only queue for Shatter right now. Wondering if that's still coming in 4.1 since I haven't seen any mention of it recently.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If they announced Viera as playable, I would say I would stay Miqo'te.

I think I would stick to that for maybe a week before I fantasiaed.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

What's the actual everloving purpose of letting you run an arbitrary selection of dungeons with AI bots in a massively multiplayer game.

Ken

ask them if they can add a noob buffer to prevent nastrond from immediately activating after a geirskogul cause i mash too much

Top Bottom