• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV E3 2016 New Screenshots

WWZv6WG.png

♪ Hello darkness, my old friend...

ffvorax

Well not the best screenshots to share... looks like the usual kind of screen one take by his own playing the game...

It looks ok, not perfect... like the demoes... I don't expect anything better personally.

Some of those look pretty good, but that one with the Garula, jesus christ. SE really needs to get rid of whatever sharpening filter they have and adopt Naughty Dog's AA solution.

You know, in stills the game looks fantastic but during gameplay, sometimes it looks like a hot mess. I don't mean from a graphical fidelity POV, I'm talking about from a play control standpoint. I watched the live demo they did during the Xbox presser and even a guy who I assume is working on the game seemed to be struggling. The camera was all over the place, gave him lousy vantage points of what he had to hit, all the while, the Titan was mopping the floor with him.

Did anyone else get the impression?

I think the issues regarding the camera largely have to do with this attempt to try and make really fast, nimble characters like Noctis but not really putting enough thought into how he sticks to or reacts to moving objects like giant enemies.

One of the things that made KH2FM so good was that pretty much all the high level combat was against enemies somewhat similar to Sora in size, so sticking to the enemy and dodging around them wasn't an issue. I feel that many games in the character action genre already realize this, which is why it seems like there's more of a focus put into delivering challenging human-sized enemies rather than these gigantic monsters. When you want to fight these huge enemies, you can't rely on a lock on, so you need to give the player more direct control and understanding over their positioning and movement. This typically results in a more weighty battle system, and Monster Hunter is a good example of how this might pay off.

When you dig into the Platinum Demo, it's obvious that there's more depth and thought behind the combat mechanics than what is immediately apparent, but things like this tell me that SE still isn't really thinking enough about how those mechanics mesh with the the actual enemy design or content.

They took too long. Game used to be among the best looking upcoming games, but now, Horizon, Death Stranding, Battlefield 1, and Spider-Man are making it look very very dated.

I think that's less because of how long it took and more because of how much they're having to cut back on the original target to make it run on the PS4. It was always rough around the edges, though.

KupoNut

Some of them are nice and show a clear IQ improvement.

Flying Regalia March
l4Iq2zr.jpg

Flying Regalia June
DZH0oDw.png

Edges are much sharper, added field blur helps too.

Griss

Not looking good. Platinum demo had some of the worst IQ I've seen this gen and these shots aren't making me feel much better.

FF13 was a mess, but at least it was a stunningly beautiful mess for its time...

Looks fine to me??

I thought the fans didn't care about state-of-the-art graphics and would rather a great gameplay and actual content?

Ran rp

I don't understand how a company like SE can fumble the marketing of a game so consistently and for so long.

Pejo

Graphics and IQ really aren't my concern with this game, and I like most of the art style.

I really like the alt outfits for the characters shown in the trailer, hope you can full time them instead of Noct's usual capri shorts and combat boots crap.

wmlk

The hyperbole in this thread is something else. I've seen more positive reactions to worse-looking batches of screenshots from this game.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Some of them are nice and show a clear IQ improvement.

Flying Regalia March
l4Iq2zr.jpg

Flying Regalia June
DZH0oDw.png

Edges are much sharper, added field blur helps too.

The design of the vehicle is definitely better now. Looks less ridicolous.

jett

D-Member
Pray for PS4K.

I look back at the Sony games I saw last night, and well... I don't want to say there's a generational difference, but jesusfuckingchrist.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Pray for PS4K.

I look back at the Sony games I saw last night, and well... I don't want to say there's a generational difference, but jesusfuckingchrist.
Days Gone was even made on a licensed engine (UE4), so it's not like this was all done in borderline incomprehensible byte specific code.

As much as I am trying to, I just cannot get past how ridiculous the main characters look. So much about this game looks awesome, the environments, the scale etc. But I just don't think I could handle 20-50 hours staring at those characters. If's a shame.

Are we getting another XV trailer today?

Only a little over 3 months from release and we still haven't gotten a decent story trailer with English dialogue...

Zophar

The dithering is awful. I can live with it so long as the framerate steadies out from the Platinum demo, but what an eyesore in an otherwise great looking game.

Only a little over 3 months from release and we still haven't gotten a decent story trailer with English dialogue...

Supposedly Tabata is doing an ATR at 2:15 PM Pacific today.

But I wouldn't bet on another polished trailer at E3. Maybe some new gameplay?

Go_Ly_Dow

All this negativity is saddening me :( I'm sure it will be a fun game.

This is really sad. We have like 10 images in the OP but only 2 are the focus xD

I still believe. :)

Negativity, positivity etc... all that crap doesn't make a difference imo. Plenty of games with solid hype and showings end up disappointing and vice versa...

The game will be critically judged in a few months and then release. However it turns out is ultimately uncertain and out of our control.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

We didn't get one for XIII until TGS a few months prior to release.

Badoink

Banned
I was really hoping for a PC announcement already, especially when I saw them visit the Microsoft conference. FF15 would get me to install Windows 10 much faster than any first party game they have.

Negativity, positivity etc... all that crap doesn't make a difference imo. Plenty of games with solid hype and showings end up disappointing and vice versa...

The game will be critically judged in a few months and then release. However it turns out is ultimately uncertain and out of our control.

I wouldn't get too worked out about it.

Words of wisdom. Too easy to get caught up in the roller coaster reception of the marketing. But in 2 1/2 months the truth will out, one way or another.

Samimista

I wouldn't get too worked out about it.

We didn't get one for XIII until TGS a few months prior to release.

Exactly.

I'll reserve my judgement until after I beat Final Fantasy XV. Until then, I remain open minded about it, and so far I like what I see.

FFXV has had the strangest hype cycle for me. Sometimes they show it and it excites me and other times it looks like an absolute train wreck.

These screens are the same thing. Some looks solid / ok and some are just dreadful. Man I wonder how this thing is going to turn out

benzy

This is really sad. We have like 10 images in the OP but only 2 are the focus xD

Can't blame them, Square have been releasing screenshots of the same Duscae area showing the same shitty LOD in the distance. What's baffling and confusing is they obviously have other areas with higher density of vegetation with even better LOD, so why do the shots and footage of that Duscae area always look like shit?

UPSb.png

5RSb.png

Wow people, can anything make you happy?

Why must a developer show bullshots all the time, I hate bullshots!

Yet, here's SE showing off true in-game quality screenshots and granted, they're not the best quality, but at least It's REAL

KingJ2002

S-E.... needs this game to come and go.

I'll be there day one but man... this game is clearly dated and it's not even out! The visuals ebb and flow between screenshots... one minute it looks amazing... the next it looks like a mess and a good rule of thumb is that the mess is what people will see most of the time.

I'm sure going forward they'll probably stick with Unreal Engine... what they were able to achieve with FFVII Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3... it's clear they're ready to move on from their luminous engine.

S-E.... needs this game to come and go.

I'll be there day one but man... this game is clearly dated and it's not even out! The visuals ebb and flow between screenshots... one minute it looks amazing... the next it looks like a mess and a good rule of thumb is that the mess is what people will see most of the time.

I'm sure going forward they'll probably stick with Unreal Engine... what they were able to achieve with FFVII Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3... it's clear they're ready to move on from their luminous engine.

Is this the luminous engine? I thought this was Unreal.

Yeah, honestly a lot of the posts read like they're actively looking to be upset.

Considering, as one post correctly said, the demo had some of the worst image quality this generation, and these pics do nothing to change that, I'd say the comments are more than justified.

Aters

Look like what I'd expect. Don't care that much about the graphic though. Discau 2.0 looks perfectly fine to me and as long as they maintain that level of graphic while getting a better framerate, I'm good.

Days Gone was even made on a licensed engine (UE4), so it's not like this was all done in borderline incomprehensible byte specific code.

They must be really struggling to fit their engine onto the hardware. I mean I think the Paris footage they showed a while back in 2014 had the basis to look even better than Horizon. Certainly it had the best grassland foliage and shadowing of any game out there, allbeit with super short draw distance. It is weird. If they don't get this fixed and they release a PC version which is well optimised, I can see this being a much bigger difference between PC and consoles versions than we are generally used to.

Top Bottom