• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV EGX Livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just grateful I haven't died since
this game (FFVIII versus) was announced 10 years ago.

It would be truly awesome if I make till November 30th.
Life is hard you know, so many things could have happen, yet here I'm
Alive and well.

Thank God man.
Edit: *November 29

That's crazy when you think about it like that huh.

Tyaren

I wonder if they're all voiced like that gladio one we saw with them racing. That would be a pleasant surprise wouldn't expect that

I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be voiced. This is a AAA game and they had all the funds and time in the world.These quests are imo also some of the more important ones because they tell us a lot about the friends, their past and their relationship with each other.

I don't see a reason why they wouldn't be voiced. This is a AAA game and they had all the funds and time in the world.These quests are imo also some of the more important ones because they tell us a lot about the friends, their past and their relationship with each other.

you know I really , really liked that Gladiou race by the beach,
I hope they get as challenging as the Riku races in destiny islands(KH1).

I really appreciate their take on open world for a change. I don't think the vast areas to convey the road trip is a bad design choice. The lack of constantly meeting points of interest actually gives you time to enjoy that aspect. There's a bunch of party banter and important world building during your car trips, which would be lost if you had to stop every few seconds to do a random side activity.

Of course, having just that isn't enough, and having points of interest is fundamental to make exploration fun, but I feel like they're going for "actually interesting points" rather than winning in quantity. That dungeon they showed at PAX seems way more intricate and fun to do than any cave you enter in Witcher 3 during quests or visiting points of interest.

They're different approaches to open world design that I can appreciate, I don't think one of them is necessarily wrong.

Final Fantasy XV takes an approach that is closer to the likes of Mafia II or Shadow of the Colossus, having the open world as nothing more than a map structure, rather than being the core of the game's design. These games will use the big areas to their benefit in order to do this stlye of slow burn exposition, but won't necessarily appeal to fans of open world games as a genre.

It becoming more linear on the second half is further confirmation of that mentality. It's open world when their narrative and overall game design asks for it, but when it would no longer benefit the journey, they don't think twice before making it linear. It's just a map style to them, not the defining element of the game's genre.

The fact that FFXV gives this impression of "but there's nothing to do" is actually the main reason why I have faith in their open world. I would be much less excited about it if it was more typical.

The lack of varied areas is definitely my main concern. And I'm really hoping the game will end up having a lot of variety, not only for its own sake, but also because that would show that maybe S-E learned their lesson about showing the entire game on trailers.

Well said, this is how I'm envisioning the game currently too.

And I also think we should try and judge the world design when it comes out based on how well it functions to support the narrative and play loops in this actual game, as opposed to some kind of pre-existing generic idea of "what a successful open world needs."

Mediking

I understand what you think the world is like, I'm saying that's the fallacy. There appears to be plenty to do out there. And no extra wasted space. The "wasted" space appears to be blocked off. There's a normal, but large, actual playable area within natural borders. There's no reason to believe there isn't content. In fact, there's every reason to believe otherwise, since that's one of the more consistent things they've talked about.

I think you, and a lot of other people out there, are seeing the concept map and making the wrong assumptions. Mainly that they have to somehow cover a full 780 square feet with content. They don't. They only need to fill the playable areas with content. And in that regard, it's very much like a FFXII meets Uncharted, with driving instead of zoning rather than a Witcher 3.

When Tabata recently made those comments about the map being "incomparable" that's what he means. Not hyperbole about how big the world is, but saying that the world may be "big" but you can't compare these open world games 1:1 because it's only so big to realize the concept of the road trip.

IE, it's not just one big slab of totally wide open world (except, obviously, for the stuff you can fly over). It's several manageable hubs connected by roads. Some of these areas are, indeed, also going to be fairly wide open spaces as well, but there won't be a need, necessarily, to go explore every square inch of it. It'll be a big, wide-open view with the one obvious point of interest in the middle.

This is totally doable, and with the amount of content they're saying they have for this game, it doesn't seem like a huge stretch that those fears will be put to bed. And if they do pull it off the way I'm seeing it, that could and should start a trend. Not every "open world" game needs to be a big square quest hub.

At the risk of getting repetitive, I firmly believe that FFXV is going for a "content as its own reward" style.

I'm in love with the story of most Souls games, it's one of the main draws for me, but let's not kid ourselves, the main reason why people go into the Painted World of Ariamis is because they want to experience the content. They want to explore the level, fight the unique enemies, and face the unique boss fight.

By contrast, in Witcher 3, if you judge a cave by the same standards you judge a level in Dark Souls, it'll be extremely shallow. It's just a tiny dark place you walk around, press X a few times, maybe swim from one point to another, kill the thing and you're done. There's not a lot of complexity in the content itself. That's not to say there is no depth, of course, it just comes in a different way. You're on your way to your objective, whatever it is, and you notice a trail of blood going into a cave. Just outside the cave, there are a bunch of corpses wearing nilfgaardian armor. You want to know where they came from, where they were headed to, and most importantly, what the hell hapened to them. The story context and world building serves as motivation and reward for what would otherwise be a very uninvolving cave exploration.

Coming back to Final Fantasy XV, if you watch the PAX presentation, you'll see that there is little to no context behind that dungeon. It's pretty much:

NPC just outside the dungeon: "Heeey it's woooooooooooooooo so dangerous inside woolololo"

Noctis: "aight, shit, sounds fun, let's go, owooooo"

But then you enter the dungeon, and there's a fucking elevator that can drop you in different floors, from how layered that dungeon is, and you have to unlock those shortcuts through exploration. The level design is much more intricate and tricky than what you'd find in Witcher 3 (even if not as tight as what you'd expect out of a Souls level, but Miyazaki is the best level designer in the business, imo), the enemy placement and behavior is scripted in a very deliberate way to keep you engaged, and it might even surprise you in some moments. It culminates in a "mini-boss" of sorts, and maybe there's even more to it after that, but the dude didn't beat the enemy. Given the enemy's level, it's even designed for your covenience if you choose to run away and go back later, after you've leveled up a bit, using the elevator shortcuts.

Encounters like that goblin locking the door in front of you, that you later unlock from the other side while exploring, the surprise cart attack and stuff like that is all designed and placed in a way to be engaging and rewarding on its own.

To mention the Adamantoise example again, even if there's not a cool story around that encounter, and there probably isn't, I don't really care, I REALLY want to fight that thing. Being familiar with the game's combat makes me crave for that fight, it's not as much about curiosity and solving a mystery as it is just the pure satisfaction from having a battle on such a scale in real time as part of an explorable world, using those elaborate combat mechanics.

It's pretty clear which approach I tend to prefer, but I do love Wild Hunt, I'm having a blast playing it, but I don't see not taking the same approach to open world design and exploration as a sin. Each game does it in a way to fit its strengths better. I should also remind you that, while a lot of people called bullshit on the "having a lot of empty land to traverse is important to transmit the road trip feel" thing Tabata said way back, when the press got to play it for a while, jschreier (iirc) even mentioned as a negative that Lestallum was too close to their current location, and that it should be a longer drive based on what they were saying. They went out of their way to make things big just to make your travel time seem believable, and the criticism Schreier had about it was that it wasn't long enough. Imagine if they didn't do it.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm SUPER hyped for FFXV and have been on the FFXV Gaf hype train for a long time. The only thing I'm actually concerned about is the story. I used to not worry about the story until recent trailers started to worry me. I'm not really worried about the open world aspect. I just want more fleshed out side quests.

DrBretto

Banned
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm SUPER hyped for FFXV and have been on the FFXV Gaf hype train for a long time. The only thing I'm actually concerned about is the story. I used to not worry about the story until recent trailers started to worry me. I'm not really worried about the open world aspect. I just want more fleshed out side quests.

I believe ya! I was just offering my perspective on the size thing. I feel like a lot of people are getting the wrong idea is all.

The way they're talking, there should be plenty of side quests. But I don't think there's much out there that can really tell us how fleshed out they'll be. On on hand, you have FFXIV, which is still largely a fetch-fest. On the other, you have them being well aware that that is one of the things that Witcher did well.

They may not listen to every crazy person on the internet (and thank god for that, have you SEEN that place??) but it is clear that they are paying attention. Could go either way, of course, but the only real evidence of side quests that we have so far are hunts, and that one cave with the Goblins, which looked pretty legit.

Mediking

I believe ya! I was just offering my perspective on the size thing. I feel like a lot of people are getting the wrong idea is all.

The way they're talking, there should be plenty of side quests. But I don't think there's much out there that can really tell us how fleshed out they'll be. On on hand, you have FFXIV, which is still largely a fetch-fest. On the other, you have them being well aware that that is one of the things that Witcher did well.

They may not listen to every crazy person on the internet (and thank god for that, have you SEEN that place??) but it is clear that they are paying attention. Could go either way, of course, but the only real evidence of side quests that we have so far are hunts, and that one cave with the Goblins, which looked pretty legit.

"Find out what Cor does in his free time!"

"Help either Prompto or Gladio or Ignis get a date with Cidney!"

"Visit Cidney and discover more about her being raised by Cid!"

"Prank Ignis!"

"Train with Gentiana!"

"Train with Luna!"

Hahah that's the kinda stuff I REALLY want.

Ferr986

Yes, there was also picking mushrooms with Prompto and getting the chance to fight one of the catoblepas:

28345950662_a45fdd61b7_o.png

Then there was stargazing with Ignis and later with the whole group:

tumblr_npfnha9BHa1r02etoo5_500.gif

tumblr_npfnha9BHa1r02etoo1_540.gif

tumblr_npfnha9BHa1r02etoo4_540.gif

Last but not least there was a second quest with Gladio. He lost an important item in Mistwood (where you encountered the Behemoth first) and asked Noctis to help him retrieve it.

In all these quests you learned a bit about your companions and their past. A really nice touch. I'm glad they are back in the final game. I hope the ones we've experienced in Episode Duscae are too. Especially the stargazing was really cute and beautifully realized.

Yeah these are some cool quest, gonna try to trigger them later. And I agree it's a good touch to flesh otu their relationship. Knowing that this is first a road trip about them, is necessary to have these kind of quests and dialogs about their everyday stuff.

Gotta say I don't like their designs as much but the group is more "likeable" than I thought in Duscae. I still expect them to turn a little annoying when all the usual FF drama starts going on lol

Gbraga

The story will be fine. It'll be just as bad as you're imagining, no need to worry about being disappointed.

DrBretto

Banned
Noooo, it's the ATR to make the 30th not feel so empty for us now.

Hey everyone! Today was the day where you THOUGHT you were going to play this game, so here's some footage of other people having a blast playing it right in your face! lol

But I'll be there. Gobbling it up like we all do!

Mediking

The story will be fine. It'll be just as bad as you're imagining, no need to worry about being disappointed.

Hahaha it's pretty sad how I thought the story would be so cool until recently where certain cutscenes really looked dumb and bad. But those were outta context so hopefully the story is manageable.

DrBretto

Banned
Hahaha it's pretty sad how I thought the story would be so cool until recently where certain cutscenes really looked dumb and bad. But those were outta context so hopefully the story is manageable.

That trailer had decent content but it looks like it was cut by the marketing B Squad again. I'm convinced there's still one more major trailer to come, and it will be awesome.

And we know they still can cut a decent trailer when they need to. They even made Kingsglaive look good with that last one.

VariantX

Hey everyone! Today was the day where you THOUGHT you were going to play this game, so here's some footage of other people having a blast playing it right in your face! lol

But I'll be there. Gobbling it up like we all do!

My friend was losing it a little not being able to play this for his birthday next month. Probably driving his GF nuts as its literally the only game he cares about playing outside of LoZ:BotW.

Mediking

That trailer had decent content but it looks like it was cut by the marketing B Squad again. I'm convinced there's still one more major trailer to come, and it will be awesome.

And we know they still can cut a decent trailer when they need to. They even made Kingsglaive look good with that last one.

There's almost always a cheesy identity reveal or betrayal in JRPG. "You thought I was this guy... but I'm really this guy!!!" happens alot. But... Noctis and the gang not being able to detect immediately that Arydn is clearly evil? -_-

Ishida

Banned

I'm on the opposite side. Most of the things I've seen from XV greatly surpass my old Versus headcanon. While I thought the Versus plot was going to be "cool", what I had in mind can't even match the scope of what I've seen of XV.

I, for one, am pleased so far.

Mediking

I'm on the opposite side. Most of the things I've seen from XV greatly surpass my old Versus headcanon. While I thought the Versus plot was going to be "cool", what I had in mind can't even match the scope of what I've seen of XV.

I, for one, am pleased so far.

I'm not challenging you but what are some cutscenes we've seen from trailers so far that actually makes the story look good??? Like seriously. Which???

Ishida

Banned
I'm not challenging you but what are some cutscenes we've seen from trailers so far that actually makes the story look good??? Like seriously. Which???

To me? Plenty.

Luna standing up to Leviathan.
Ardyn trolling the party.
Gladio not taking shit from Noctis.
Ravus mocking Noctis and apparently harming his friends. Noctis not taking shit from Ravus.
Regis' goodbye to Noctis.
Ardyn changing his usual carefree mood and slapping Luna to the ground.
Ardyn holding Noctis' hostage.
The time skip with the cool designs and Ifrit.
Cor not taking shit from Noctis and asking him to act like a King instead of being protected.
Aranea seemds badass.

And many others.

Basically, I've loved most of what I have seen.

Gbraga

That cutscene with Noctis and Cor is absolutely fantastic, I agree. The emotional delivery, especially of the japanese dub, is impeccable.

Noctis definitely seems like a much more nuanced and interesting character in XV than he did in Versus.

Now, to be fair, that also has a lot to do with us getting a lot more about him since then than we did with those trailers, but even in the amazing 2013 trailer, all we got from Noctis was the "I'm strong! I can handle it!". The idea was always to subvert the expectations of the moody and silent dude you might have from looking at his design, but it seems like Nomura's Noctis was more focused on the shy and cocky parts, while Tabata's Noctis seems more fragile, spoiled and we're seeing signs of his development.

I love him.

Picking mushrooms with Prompto is one of the most boring sidequests ever conceived, with one of the most cringeworthy dialogue the series offered.

Is just bad, I don't know how people considered it fine. If that's the expected level we're fucked.

Picking mushrooms with Prompto is one of the most boring sidequests ever conceived, with one of the most cringeworthy dialogue the series offered.

Is just bad, I don't know how people considered it fine. If that's the expected level we're fucked.
Relax, that's not even in the story is as irrelevant as the platinum demo.

btw Optional side quest like running on the beach and winning against gladio raise your AP points or stamina gauge bar?

To me? Plenty.

Ravus mocking Noctis and apparently harming his friends. Noctis not taking shit from Ravus.
Cor not taking shit from Noctis and asking him to act like a King instead of being protected.
Aranea seemds badass.

And many others.

Hi.

And yes, I agree tokyo trailer showed some promise towards the story,
what I would love to know is why are they chasing that train,
does noctis get caught and becomes experimented on- or incarcerated -and thus he's older later on?

I'm honestly hyped after watching FFXV the movie and it really amplifies each time I will warp once I play the game :)

To me? Plenty.

Aranea seemds badass.

And many others.

I felt alil bad being hyped about the story on this place lol at least someone else is too. I watched one spoiled Prince go from shitbag to redeemable royal I can do it again(and Luke Fabre(tales of abyss) was far worse than Noctis seems to be)

I felt alil bad being hyped about the story on this place lol at least someone else is too. I watched one spoiled Prince go from shitbag to redeemable royal I can do it again(and Luke Fabre(tales of abyss) was far worse than Noctis seems to be)

The Luke parallel occurred to me too. I've still got a soft spot for that midriff baring man child!

That cutscene with Noctis and Cor is absolutely fantastic, I agree. The emotional delivery, especially of the japanese dub, is impeccable.

Noctis definitely seems like a much more nuanced and interesting character in XV than he did in Versus.

Now, to be fair, that also has a lot to do with us getting a lot more about him since then than we did with those trailers, but even in the amazing 2013 trailer, all we got from Noctis was the "I'm strong! I can handle it!". The idea was always to subvert the expectations of the moody and silent dude you might have from looking at his design, but it seems like Nomura's Noctis was more focused on the shy and cocky parts, while Tabata's Noctis seems more fragile, spoiled and we're seeing signs of his development.

I love him.

Absolutely this. I've been really impressed with what we've seen with Noctis in FFXV and Brotherhood. I think he might already be one of my favourite FF leads, and that's without the game even coming out yet! I love so many of the FF leads, but I think Noctis is a rare gaming protagonist that actually feels like a tangible human being. Whilst I enjoy their characters, I can't really say the same for Prompto/Ignis/Gladio. Regis and Cor do feel a bit more grounded, at least. From what we've seen, it looks like FFXV has a strong development arc planned for Noctis, which is a nice return to form after FFXIII. Both the Cor scene and the confrontational Gladio scene have been great.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more Noctis and Luna scenes, too! The scene in the recent trailer with Noctis looking proudly on as Luna made her speech to the crowd was really sweet.

...they're totally not going to get a happy ending, are they.

Gbraga

Absolutely this. I've been really impressed with what we've seen with Noctis in FFXV and Brotherhood. I think he might already be one of my favourite FF leads, and that's without the game even coming out yet! I love so many of the FF leads, but I think Noctis is a rare gaming protagonist that actually feels like a tangible human being. Whilst I enjoy their characters, I can't really say the same for Prompto/Ignis/Gladio. Regis and Cor do feel a bit more grounded, at least. From what we've seen, it looks like FFXV has a strong development arc planned for Noctis, which is a nice return to form after FFXIII. Both the Cor scene and the confrontational Gladio scene have been great.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more Noctis and Luna scenes, too! The scene in the recent trailer with Noctis looking proudly on as Luna made her speech to the crowd was really sweet.

Absolutely. One recurring theme of Brotherhood that really got to me was Noctis' loneliness. He was constantly shown as ending up alone. It gave more weight to his bros, imo, because they seem to be not only his closest friends, but pretty much the only ones he has.

How sweet is the fact that Luna's called that way because kid Noctis couldn't pronounce Lunafreya? I'm in love with this protagonist as well.

...they're totally not going to get a happy ending, are they.

Nope :D

Can't wait to have my heart broken.

Philippo

Yeah the Uncovered trailer had a couple of scenes with Noctis staring at the moon or the horizon silently, all by himself. I expect lots of introspective moments from him in the game.

Rappy

Jesus, the way some people talk about this game it's like Tabata killed they their dogs or something. It's not any worse than the "go fetch these materials for the potion maker" quests in like every game ever. And there's a bit of humor/urgency at the end.

Mediking

But Luke from Tales of the Abyss had really good reasoning on why he was a terrible person before he matured in the game..... and he became a crazy good character after he matured.

Noctis wasn't a jerk before all this pressure was thrown at at him. He's still the same guy. Brotherhood shows that. That's why there's inconsistencies with Brotherhood and the game. Like the scene where Cor is telling Noctis to man up and protect everybody is borderline not even needed because Brotherhood Noctis ALREADY KNEW the situation. "How long will you remain the protected?" Oh, really, Cor? Noctis has been fighting all this time. He already overcame his hesitation in Brotherhood.

wmlk

But Luke from Tales of the Abyss had really good reasoning on why he was a terrible person before he matured in the game..... and he became a crazy good character after he matured.

Noctis wasn't a jerk before all this pressure was thrown at at him. He's still the same guy. Brotherhood shows that. That's why there's inconsistencies with Brotherhood and the game. Like the scene where Cor is telling Noctis to man up and protect everybody is borderline not even needed because Brotherhood Noctis ALREADY KNEW the situation. "How long will you remain the protected?" Oh, really, Cor? Noctis has been fighting all this time. He already overcame his hesitation in Brotherhood.

Noctis knows that he has to take responsibility as the next king. That whole scene is centred around him not knowing and it all changing on him so quickly. He has to shoulder everything without ever being told why. The reason why he is getting married is because of his position politically, so it's not like he's oblivious to how important his role is.

And just because he knew that he would become king one day doesn't mean that he still isn't a pampered little shit.

sappyday

He didn't overcome anything in Brotherhood. Brotherhood just showed he is aware of the responsibilities but tries to push them away as much as he can. Mainly cause he knows not only does it bring such a burden on his shoulders, but also cause he'll lose the only life and blood he has. In the actual game that burden has finally come, and it happens so suddenly. He doesn't act like a jerk afterwards. Just frustration, and even then he calms down after the bit, but not all the way and even needs moments to think by himself.

My biggest worry for the story is there isn't much of it in between. I would like to believe the marketing is intentionally hiding a lot of the cutscenes, but we all know it's possible that it isn't.

Mediking

@wmlk and @sappyday Ohhhhhhhh.... I see.....

I thought the whole point of that scene was
ur dad died, come see me

I THINK....

Regis isn't dead. I NEED TO SEE A DEAD BODY OR FUNERAL. JUST LIKE WITH NOCTIS' MOM. I DON'T THINK SHE'S DEAD EITHER. OH CAPS LOCK!

Ran rp

He didn't overcome anything in Brotherhood. Brotherhood just showed he is aware of the responsibilities but tries to push them away as much as he can. Mainly cause he knows not only does it bring such a burden on his shoulders, but also cause he'll lose the only life and blood he has. In the actual game that burden has finally come, and it happens so suddenly. He doesn't act like a jerk afterwards. Just frustration, and even then he calms down after the bit, but not all the way and even needs moments to think by himself.

My biggest worry for the story is there isn't much of it in between. I would like to believe the marketing is intentionally hiding a lot of the cutscenes, but we all know it's possible that it isn't.

I have a feeling the story is so straightforward that giving away more than what has already been shown would make it too easy to piece everything together in the first few hours.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I love him.

The difference is based on how both directors viewed this character. The original creator who designed the 'dark aesthetic' for him, and the new director, who reinterpreted him entirely.

Nomura's Noctis was a badass who acted cool, and essentially was cool, but didn't feel cool on the inside when push came to shove. He was more emotionally reserved and kept his poker face on, but i doubt there was less emotional stirring in him than what we're seeing here, it would just take more consideration for the player to pick out.

In the 2009 trailer with Stella at the party scene, i was always shocked because you always kind of assumed that Noctis would always be the cool badass guy who never broke from character, but he was very amicable and lighthearted when talking in normal conversation when talking with her, even though he was still reserved to a point.

On the other hand, Tabata's Noctis is more of a teenager in that all of his actions are directly telegraphed to the viewer via him outwardly projecting those feelings, screaming or ranting, or actively showing the viewer his emotions on his sleeve in a far more simple manner. If this was an anime, this is the character people would be complaining about him whining like a little girl throughout these instances.

For me though, again, its just a matter of how the character is interpreted. They are different takes, but i don't think the initial premise of each type of the character is inferior or superior.

JBwB

PSY・S;218365271 said:
I have a feeling the story is so straightforward that giving away more than what has already been shown would make it too easy to piece everything together in the first few hours.

I do hope it's more straightforward rather than the opposite. I play enough games with convoluted stories as it is (e.g. Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, previous FFs etc).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I do hope it's more straightforward rather than the opposite. I play enough games with convoluted stories as it is (e.g. Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, previous FFs etc).

I feel like there are people looking for huge "OMG WTF PLOT TWIST 10/10, 100/100, BEST GAME, BEST GAME" to take the actual story we've seen to the next level in their minds, and i think they are going to be disappointed for the most part.

While i do enjoy those types of games that really throw in a lot of twists and turns and shocking moments(not to be confused with convolution), i think all FF15 really needs to be successful is having a story that generally doesn't collapse on itself. And if having a straightforward story about Noctis ascending the throne, beating the bad guy and protecting the girl, that essentially is all that is neccesary.

I think most of the game will be gameplay segments, off the beaten path optional quests and such rather than story anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom