• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV first 45 minute gameplay video (final build of the game)

DrBretto

Banned
Could it be that the episode is lacking so much dialog on purpose
Giving the viewer some room to imagine whatever they want about prompto?

If not, than what you just said makes perfect sense.

I think you might have just spaced out during some crucial part. I did the same thing on Ignis' episode 3 times and I still don't totally know what happened.

Here's my only concern. We essentially begin in a story and gameplay section (albeit very modified to fit the new narrative) that originally happened
after the Invasion intro in Versus
. Meaning the game would have opened up and slowed down at this current point after a very action packed, linear intro. Right now, the game essentially begins in medias res and it's not done very gracefully. Kingsglaive is a must watch intro scene in order to not feel directionless. Can't think of a singleplayer FF game where nothing much of consequence or impact happens in the first hour or two .

Koozek

Here's my only concern. We essentially begin in a story and gameplay section (albeit very modified to fit the new narrative) that originally happened
. Meaning the game would have opened up and slowed down at this current point after a very action packed, linear intro. Right now, the game essentially begins in medias res and it's not done very gracefully. Kingsglaive is a must watch intro scene in order to not feel directionless. Can't think of a singleplayer FF game where nothing much of consequence or impact happens in the first hour or two .
Chapter 0, though
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I honestly think they should've just started directly with the car-pushing. Generally I think it's refreshing to have a low-key beginning in the series.

EDIT: Looking at your avatar, I can't remember FFXII having action-packed opening hours. In fact it was pretty slow and just walking around carelessly in the city and surrounding desert, as far as I remember (haven't played it in a while). Okay, you could count the intro sequence where you played Vaan's brother, but that's funnily not that different from Chapter 0 in FFXV,
just a flashback instead of flash foward

EDIT2: Oh, and FFVIII.

FFVIII and FFXIV right off the top of my head. Though XIV is an MMO, so I guess that might not meet your criteria. I also don't recall XII being "action packed" in it's first hour either.

ramyeon

There are tonnes of JRPGs with slow starts that turned out great. There are plenty of things that worry me about FFXV but this isn't one of them.

FFVIII and FFXIV right off the top of my head. Though XIV is an MMO, so I guess that might not meet your criteria. I also don't recall XII being "action packed" in it's first hour either.

FFVIII is certainly slow, yes, I agree. Even if does have the hype intro going for it.
XII though is the
Reks section in the past when Nalbina(?) is under attack
so it does have a lot going on. You're probably thinking of the
Vaan
portion after it that's uneventful.

There are tonnes of JRPGs with slow starts that turned out great. There are plenty of things that worry me about FFXV but this isn't one of them.

I know, I'll probably get over it by the time I play the game but it just strikes me as strange at the moment.

KupoNut

Chapter 0, though
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I honestly think they should've just started directly with the car-pushing. Generally I think it's refreshing to have a low-key beginning in the series.

EDIT: Looking at your avatar, I can't remember FFXII having action-packed opening hours. In fact it was pretty slow and just walking around carelessly in the city and surrounding desert, as far as I remember (haven't played it in a while). Okay, you could count the intro sequence where you played Vaan's brother, but that's funnily not that different from Chapter 0 in FFXV,
just a flashback instead of flash foward

EDIT2: Oh, and FFVIII.

I was worried about the opening hour too, but looking at other RPGs and anime lately, it happens a lot that the player/viewer is just thrown into the world at the start, piecing together what happens over the next hours.

FFXV's starting area (Leide) looks huge but it seems you can get your car fixed and arrive in Galdin Quay in under an hour, when the story starts kicking off. I don't think that people who spend 60$ on a game will drop it because the first hour is low key on plot.

I also agree that chapter 0 isn't needed and only adds to the confusion and acts as a "sit tight, it will get more interesting!" catalyst. Maybe doing something along the lines of Kingsglaive's opening minutes, explaining the world and nations, would be better (Type-0 did it like that if my memory serves right).

FFVIII is certainly slow, yes, I agree. Even if does have the hype intro going for it.
XII though is the
Reks section in the past when Nalbina(?) is under attack
so it does have a lot going on. You're probably thinking of the
Vaan
portion after it that's uneventful.

I mean...if we are actually counting the introductions of these games (CG openings an' all), FFXV has that too.

.JayZii

Banned
Ignis creeps me out man, I have discarded the option that he will betray the team after ch 0 reveal.

But something about him, he's always so careful and quiet.
He's the only one that acts like someone who whose job is to look after and be around royalty. His personality makes sense to me.

Nags

Banned
I tried to hold off on watching this but I caved in. Glad I did, It's looking great on PS4. Would love to see some PS4 Pro footage now. I will be playing on that.

Koozek

I tried to hold off on watching this but I caved in. Glad I did, It's looking great on PS4. Would love to see some PS4 Pro footage now. I will be playing on that.
This is the only little piece we got:
ZaIba1L.gif

I'm still super undecided regarding the Pro. Now that the OG version already looks good enough, I don't know if it's worth paying ~150€ more when I buy my first PS4 for FFXV. Downsampling from 4K on my 720p TV should be delicious, yeah, but is it really worth it for a bit of AA. Unless they also have a nice 1080p + bells and whistles option, like Rise of the Tomb Raider, which I doubt, though, as it doesn't seem they have or even want to spend the time to make more than a basic Checkered Rendering 4K patch.

Skinpop

hard to put to words how disgusted and disappointed I am with the "modern" rpg game design of this game. quest markers, constant HUD prompts and so on. what happened to figuring out stuff on your own and seamless storylines instead of mmo-style quests with check boxes and markers making sure you never get lost. what an awful disgrace this is.

The commentary on the Eurogamer video put a big smile on my face. This is why we play games. To have fun!

Edit:
hard to put to words how disgusted and disappointed I am with the "modern" rpg game design of this game. quest markers, constant HUD prompts and so on. what happened to figuring out stuff on your own and seamless storylines instead of mmo-style quests with check boxes and markers making sure you never get lost. what an awful disgrace this is.

You can turn off most of the things you are talking about:

You can still figure out and find things on your own. That I promise.

GorillaJu

Games are bigger and packed with things to do. They're easy to get lost in without some kind of direction. If you pick up FF6 after a long break and have the airship late in the game, you'd be absolutely clueless about where you're supposed to go and what you're supposed to do.

Skinpop

you are missing the point. the game has those things because it wouldn't work without them, it's designed to be used with markers or there would never be a need for them. turning off all that stuff is far from being the same thing as a game designed without them from the start.

Games are bigger and packed with things to do. They're easy to get lost in without some kind of direction. If you pick up FF6 after a long break and have the airship late in the game, you'd be absolutely clueless about where you're supposed to go and what you're supposed to do.
bigger in terms of stuff, content whatever sure. not qualitative play time. is the kind of bigger we want 200 fetch quests that consists of running in a straight line to get a box checked and some narrative content as a payoff at the expense of integrated experiences where the world and quests plays a meaningful part of actually providing stimulating and well designed gameplay and exploration.

the problem isn't the size of the game or the world, it's that all the design work put into these games went into the systems that let devs mass produce content.

Koozek

PSY・S;219786812 said:
Dude.... save the money and get a better TV or monitor.
Naah, I'm really satisfied with its image (Samsung LE32B450). Got it with my PS3 in '10. It's also only 32" and I'm generally sitting pretty far away anyway, which is why everything looks naturally better and smoother to me :D Everything I play looks like it has 16xAA and I don't notice frame-drops much (even in console games that many others find "unplayable", though that's probably often just typical GAF hyperbole regarding performance).

You can still figure out and find things on your own. That I promise.

To be fair unless quests and the world are designed with it in mind I doubt you will be able to actually compete quests in a worthwhile way with the markers turned off.

It is the kind of thing that I am also disappointed by, but have learned to live with since it is how a lot of games are now. It's better to just expect that that is how a game will be and be happily surprised if it isn't then to be constantly disappointed.

Edit: It's a similar situation to me as reading about the invisible walls. Hate them and would rather be able to jump off things/have to find a long way back up if I did something ill advised since that just adds more to the gameworld, but I know not to expect that kind of freedom/design so complaining about it is just a waste of time.

Mailbox

-_-
What a pathetic thing to complain about. From a game design persepctive a "figure it out yourself" storyline or questing is highly problematic in open world or even RPGs of this scale.

Do you really think that if someone doesn't play the game for a few days because they are stretched for time, and come back only to be confused, directionless and frustrated is a good thing?

FF12 had map markers (though they were only in the large map)
Ni No Kuni has map markers
Witcher 3 has map markers
FF10 had a directional arrow of "this is where you go" despite being linear as shit

This game isn't designed like something akin to FF9. FF9 funnels you into very small parts of map initially to get you familiarized. FF15 goes for the straight out "heres the world, sorta" approach.

Not to mention that FF9 has very very few side quests so you can keep track of them all quite easily. FF15, on the other hand, seems to have quite a few side quests just from the first hour alone.

But, then again, you could just turn the hud elements off and not moan about easier quest completion design. :/

As for button prompts, don't like them; turn them off. You can look for the flashing the enemies do when you need to block their attacks.

Servbot24

Banned
Tbh FFXV would sell me a PS4 Pro if the difference is big enough.

Also I'm going to make the bold prediction that none of your 3 main party members betray you. If anything, Noctis will have a fit and leave them behind, but only for a short time before he realizes his mistake.

Skinpop

-_-
What a pathetic thing to complain about. From a game design persepctive a "figure it out yourself" storyline or questing is highly problematic in open world or even RPGs of this scale.
I guess these days it's pathetic to complain about the game part of games eh? it's all about the narratives I suppose...

it's hard, because you know, good game design is actually hard. still, there are games that do it and do it well. ask yourself what the point of open world is when it's used this way. it's pointless, it's just a visual background, it doesn't actually integrate with the game in a meaningful way. it's ground you have to cover. nothing else.

This game isn't designed like something akin to FF9. FF9 funnels you into very small parts of map initially to get you familiarized. FF15 goes for the straight out "heres the world, sorta" approach.
this game is designed like most open world games are designed - to eliminate the need for actual design. you bring in tons of quest designers and all they have to do is script some events and put a marker on the map, as opposed to an integrated product where the designer actually has to think about how to make the player get there through their own agency in a coherent way that is fun and feels good to play.

Not to mention that FF9 has very very few side quests so you can keep track of them all quite easily. FF15, on the other hand, seems to have quite a few side quests just from the first hour alone.
yeah, like kill the 3 monsters in the desert at the spot of the marker on your screen.

But, then again, you could just turn the hud elements off and not moan about easier quest completion design. :/
like I said this is not a valid argument. the game is designed with markers in mind, so of course it would be frustrating without them. the issue here is that sort of design, not whether you can turn them off or not.

As for button prompts, don't like them; turn them off. You can look for the flashing the enemies do when you need to block their attacks.
I didn't mean the button prompts, I don't care about them, I meant the text saying "hey you are on this quest and this is what you are going to do next".

-_-

It's problematic in that it is harder to do, yes. The extra effort required to make quests and the gameworld in a way that you don't require quest markers/tracking just doesn't seem worth it to a lot of devs and that's a shame. Not to mention how low the amount of people that really enjoy/would appreciate that is. Being one of those people sucks, but you can either accept it or just get mad at most games/constantly hearing people claim "well you can turn it off if you don't like it" like that changes the game design to accommodate it.

Skinpop's biggest mistake is thinking that the game even had a chance to have that kind of design. Hope springs eternal I guess, but I always think that it's better to aim low with your expectations and run the risk of being pleasantly surprised then the alternative.

That button prompt thing you mentioned is one of those pleasant surprises. The game being made in a way that accommodates being functional when you turn off display systems is a big plus to me for sure.

To be fair unless quests and the world are designed with it in mind I doubt you will be able to actually compete quests in a worthwhile way with the markers turned off.

It is the kind of thing that I am also disappointed by, but have learned to live with since it is how a lot of games are now. It's better to just expect that that is how a game will be and be happily surprised if it isn't then to be constantly disappointed.

Edit: It's a similar situation to me as reading about the invisible walls. Hate them and would rather be able to jump off things/have to find a long way back up if I did something ill advised since that just adds more to the gameworld, but I know not to expect that kind of freedom/design so complaining about it is just a waste of time.

I just find his argument slightly weird. But I can see where it may be coming from. You can find dungeons and side quests by exploring. The game itself rewards you for exploring. Additionally the markers can be turned off so its not intruding your view; allowing you to maybe not open your map and allowing you to look around like in the "good ol' days."

Edit: What I am saying is that he's arguing about something that he has never played nor knows how the game moves him from one event to the next. The characters' dialogue are able to give him ample enough instruction to know where to go next. You can turn off the markers. Why would that option even be available if the game cannot be played without them?

Shredderi

I guess these days it's pathetic to complain about the game part of games eh? it's all about the narratives I suppose...

it's hard, because you know, good game design is actually hard. still, there are games that do it and do it well. ask yourself what the point of open world is when it's used this way. it's pointless, it's just a visual background, it doesn't actually integrate with the game in a meaningful way. it's ground you have to cover. nothing else.

this game is designed like most open world games are designed - to eliminate the need for actual design. you bring in tons of quest designers and all they have to do is script some events and put a marker on the map, as opposed to an integrated product where the designer actually has to think about how to make the player get there through their own agency in a coherent way that is fun and feels good to play.

yeah, like kill the 3 monsters in the desert at the spot of the marker on your screen.

like I said this is not a valid argument. the game is designed with markers in mind, so of course it would be frustrating without them. the issue here is that sort of design, not whether you can turn them off or not.

I didn't mean the button prompts, I don't care about them, I meant the text saying "hey you are on this quest and this is what you are going to do next".

Amen brother.

Tyaren

ZaIba1L.gif

nn; I hope they'll be able to improve the pop-in distance for those bush shadows on the Pro version.

If this is the 4K version then what we see here is basically what we will see in the base PS4 version just with significantly better IQ. It means pop ups and LOD are the exact same. Like Koozek I am doubting we will also get a 1080p with graphical bells and whistles mode.
And just like Koozek I'm yet not decided if I should buy a Pro...but unlike him I'm not still playing on a 720p TV. XP

Sometimes it's nice to have an open world just for the sense of freedom. Not every single aspect of a game has to be hooked into its structure to justify it.

Shredderi

Sometimes it's nice to have an open world just for the sense of freedom. Not every single aspect of a game has to be hooked into its structure to justify it.

I would argue otherwise. But different people like different things so I'm not gonna argue too much about it since it would be unproductive. I'm just really over the open world bloat by now. When I think about the best games I've ever played, like a top 10 list, not one of them is an open world game. Not one.

I just find his argument slightly weird. But I can see where it may be coming from. You can find dungeons and side quests by exploring. The game itself rewards you for exploring. Additionally the markers can be turned off so its not intruding your view; allowing you to maybe not open your map and allowing you to look around like in the "good ol' days."

Gone off on too much of a tangent already but I can give a short example. It can be as small as the difference between a quest being "Go kill these monsters" and then there just being a quest marker that shows up where you need to go, and the quest doing the same thing but the npc also tells you where they are generally located/when they come out and how to get to them. The first one isn't designed with not using quest markers in mind while the second one doesn't suffer at all from people that want to use the markers as well as accommodating people that prefer to have them off. The second one also adds a ton of extra text and needed knowledge of the gameworld to write that text. Multiply that for every quest and you can see why it's not done often anymore even if it makes for a better/more believable (imo) gameworld. Of course that was just a simple example that doesn't take into account more complex quests or how you have to design the world itself differently to make things easier to navigate without the use of markers/constant map checks, but as I said, trying to keep this tangent short.

Edit: Didn't see you edit when I posted. I'm not arguing anything. Also not implying or assuming how the game itself will have these things designed. One of my points is even basically "don't expect things since you don't know how they will be".

sappyday

For me personally I'll be turning off all the HUD stuff. I didn't find it hard to travel the map in Episode Duscae. Monster Hunts are always by the area you get the quest from.

Koozek

It's problematic in that it is harder to do, yes. The extra effort required to make quests and the gameworld in a way that you don't require quest markers/tracking just doesn't seem worth it to a lot of devs and that's a shame. Not to mention how low the amount of people that really enjoy/would appreciate that is. Being one of those people sucks, but you can either accept it or just get mad at most games/constantly hearing people claim "well you can turn it off if you don't like it" like that changes the game design to accommodate it.

Skinpop's biggest mistake is thinking that the game even had a chance to have that kind of design. Hope springs eternal I guess, but I always think that it's better to aim low with your expectations and run the risk of being pleasantly surprised then the alternative.

That button prompt thing you mentioned is one of those pleasant surprises. The game being made in a way that accommodates being functional when you turn off display systems is a big plus to me for sure.
I understand both perspectives, tbh, but TW3 had that kind of marker-based design too and I ultimately still loved the hell out of it because I enjoyed the content at those markers instead of what's inbetween them, if that makes sense. I'm kinda fine with this type of design in open-world games when the writing is good and it hides well the underlying fetch quest-y nature of most quests in RPGs. Of course, in smaller-scale, linear games I'd want more organic design. This is just the way these AAA games are nowadays. Better to accept that now and find joy in other aspects. Play smaller games for the kind of focused design you're looking for.

Gone off on too much of a tangent already but I can give a short example. It can be as small as the difference between a quest being "Go kill these monsters" and then there just being a quest marker that shows up where you need to go, and the quest doing the same thing but the npc also tells you where they are generally located/when they come out and how to get to them. The first one isn't designed with not using quest markers in mind while the second one doesn't suffer at all from people that want to use the markers as well as accommodating people that prefer to have them off. The second one also adds a ton of extra text and needed knowledge of the gameworld to write that text. Multiply that for every quest and you can see why it's not done often anymore even if it makes for a better/more believable (imo) gameworld. Of course that was just a simple example that doesn't take into account more complex quests or how you have to design the world itself differently to make things easier to navigate without the use of markers/constant map checks, but as I said, trying to keep this tangent short.
Okay, I see what you mean. Yeah, that's just too much work to do at this scale and volume of content in AAA RPGs.

benzy

you are missing the point. the game has those things because it wouldn't work without them, it's designed to be used with markers or there would never be a need for them. turning off all that stuff is far from being the same thing as a game designed without them from the start.

The quest markers show up on the map, you don't need the physical markers that show up in the world which can be disabled.

edit - oh, the complaint is about destination markers on the map too. Yeah... what open world game doesn't hold your hand to indicate where your next destination should be? Sounds like a headache to play trying to figure out where to go.

Mailbox

And this is why you aren't designing this game, and why I'm thankful as fuck you aren't.

On paper the "immersive, non-hand hold" questing design is nice. But in practice it hold a LOT of problems. These problems tend to correspond with attention requirements, time, and memory. Having systems in place to mitigate that is actually a good thing since it allows more people opportunity to play for longer and for more sessions than if it didn't.

I'll use FF9 as an example again. At disk 3 when you have to deal with the Guardians, I decided to give the game a rest and work on some stuff. I came back to the game a week or 2 later and completely forgot what I was doing, where I was going and what point in the story I was. I went all over the world map in multiple cities and remembered maybe an hour and a half later what to do.

The average consumer would have gotten frustrated and quit the game right there and probably never come back to it. In a game like a 50 hour RPG and one that will have dlc, that is something you REALLY don't want.

Hell, even if you do it like FF12's way, you add and extra step in finding where you need to go. "Did I enter the wrong way?" "of I went to the exit that was just south of the exit I was supposed to" etc etc. And the need to Look up a map every time is cumbersome.

You might think that having map markers, and a pointer on the mini-map and having your quest is "lazy" and "not design" but if anything it enables easier reentry into the game after being away for a bit. It enables a wide range of gamers to experience and stay with the game despite being strapped for time. Considering the majority of gamers today are adults with working jobs where their entire day isn't spent on remembering which section of the canyon they have to be on to activate a quest, having markers is an easy and effective way to keep people invested. It might not be as immersive as you want, but if even one extra person keeps playing because of a design decisions, then I would consider it a good one.

I wonder if you also hate it when Linear games like FPS or whatnot also have objective markers and objective text.

This game isn't made just for you. Its made for the masses. I, for one, like that we have this easy to grasp design to enable more people to play the game. And to enable me to be busy and complete a side quest or 2 every day or 2 if I get busy.

Edit: Didn't see you edit when I posted. I'm not arguing anything. Also not implying or assuming how the game itself will have these things designed. One of my points is even basically "don't expect things since you don't know how they will be".

So sorry. I meant to "he's" and not "you're." You've been nothing but level-headed in this. I apologize if that came off as an attack.

Rappy

Examples, please. I'd like to play them.

People complain about the 'open world bloat' but maybe it's just because the major gameplay mechanics like combat are just not fun to them? I know the combat in Witcher 3 didn't really entertain me so that affects my opinion on the game. Everyone's allowed to complain about anything, but I think the term "pathetic" is used because you're essentially saying the devs are lazy and I believe a great number of people will take issue with that.

Aters

Yeah. That's how big budget RPGs are made because only this kind of games can generate enough sales to support the budget. One of those games won GOTY last year, another won GOTY at 2014.

And you have Horizon and Zelda to look forward to. Welcome to the real world.

Mailbox

Examples, please. I'd like to play them.

People complain about the 'open world bloat' but maybe it's just because the major gameplay mechanics like combat are just not fun to them? I know the combat in Witcher 3 didn't really entertain me so that affects my opinion on the game. Everyone's allowed to complain about anything, but I think the term "pathetic" is used because you're essentially saying the devs are lazy and I believe a great number of people will take issue with that.

Yeah... I probably shouldn't have said pathetic. Maybe "ill-thought out" or "misguided" would have been better. There's a valid reason the devs went for this model of open world building. It may be "modern" but that doesn't mean its bad or that its lazy.

Being tired of it is fine, but to talk about it as if it were some plague of lazy, non-design ill repute is what I have issue with :p

And this is why you aren't designing this game, and why I'm thankful as fuck you aren't.

On paper the "immersive, non-hand hold" questing design is nice. But in practice it hold a LOT of problems. These problems tend to correspond with attention requirements, time, and memory. Having systems in place to mitigate that is actually a good thing since it allows more people opportunity to play for longer and for more sessions than if it didn't.

I'll use FF9 as an example again. At disk 3 when you have to deal with the Guardians, I decided to give the game a rest and work on some stuff. I came back to the game a week or 2 later and completely forgot what I was doing, where I was going and what point in the story I was. I went all over the world map in multiple cities and remembered maybe an hour and a half later what to do.

The average consumer would have gotten frustrated and quit the game right there and probably never come back to it. In a game like a 50 hour RPG and one that will have dlc, that is something you REALLY don't want.

Hell, even if you do it like FF12's way, you add and extra step in finding where you need to go. "Did I enter the wrong way?" "of I went to the exit that was just south of the exit I was supposed to" etc etc. And the need to Look up a map every time is cumbersome.

You might think that having map markers, and a pointer on the mini-map and having your quest is "lazy" and "not design" but if anything it enables easier reentry into the game after being away for a bit. It enables a wide range of gamers to experience and stay with the game despite being strapped for time. Considering the majority of gamers today are adults with working jobs where their entire day isn't spent on remembering which section of the canyon they have to be on to activate a quest, having markers is an easy and effective way to keep people invested. It might not be as immersive as you want, but if even one extra person keeps playing because of a design decisions, then I would consider it a good one.

I wonder if you also hate it when Linear games like FPS or whatnot also have objective markers and objective text.

This game isn't made just for you. Its made for the masses. I, for one, like that we have this easy to grasp design to enable more people to play the game. And to enable me to be busy and complete a side quest or 2 every day or 2 if I get busy.

Try a different perspective. The game isn't made for just them, but it could be made for them as well. You don't have to take away those systems to make it so you can function in the game with them turned off. It does take that extra effort though. Who knows for sure how well this game will do in that regard. Having map markers and quest pointers may or may not be lazy, but it is certainly the easier way to deal with design then also having to make sure that if you didn't have those things the game would still function properly.

A side note. As someone who enjoys a lot of things in games for the sake of making a more believable gameworld that the majority/mass marker considers archaic or makes it harder for them to just pick up and play, I don't really see the appeal of wanting to know/caring about what the average consumer wants. In fact most of the things that I end up disliking in gaming, or most media, comes from catering to a larger audience and making the product as accessible as possible. Now of course I would have to be a fool to become bitter over that and I've long accepted that I'm no longer the "target audience" for most of the things I love, I just noticed how often you cite "more people/accessibility" as if it can only be a positive thing.
The clear answer to my own statement is that the reason to care is because all those extra numbers are what funds the games. So a useless paragraph.:3

So sorry. I meant to "he's" and not "you're." You've been nothing but level-headed in this. I apologize if that came off as an attack.

Np, it didn't, I just try to be as clear as possible.

I wouldn't call it a disgrace, but it's definitely not what I'm looking for in an FF game. FF has largely been about talking to NPCs and figuring out where to go without a marker to tell you, or exploring every nook and cranny because it doesn't take forever to do so. Can't find the exact thread, but there was one person who was talking about this as "GPS gaming", i.e. eyes always on the mini-map instead of soaking in the sights, which is a huge issue in a lot of modern open world games. Yes, you can turn it off, but it's not practical to do so, especially if quests aren't designed around that. I've always liked how FFs kind of hinted at possible locations to go to by NPCs vaguely referencing them, e.g. FF12. This one feels a lot more inorganic in that sense because of its huge world requiring the display of a marker, but that begs the question of whether an open world was necessary in the first place. Ironically, I feel like despite the developers making such a large world, I actually take in less because of the way they try to direct me in it. I personally haven't been sold on the open world idea yet, as the losses seem to be greater than the gains (decrease in graphical polish, quest quality, too much busy-work, using HUD as a crutch), but I hope the game proves me wrong.

Top Bottom