• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV first 45 minute gameplay video (final build of the game)

Mailbox

Do we have any idea if this open world design is a leftover from Versus?, we know it was meant to be ambitious but not exactly how ambitious.

Best bet is that Versus wasn't at the quest making stage of development.

edit: or what I mean to say is that Nomura probably wasn't at the point where he was doing side quests and stuff, so I doubt it.

Best bet is that Versus wasn't at the quest making stage of development.

edit: or what I mean to say is that Nomura probably wasn't at the point where he was doing side quests and stuff, so I doubt it.

I am going over scans when it was Versus now, I wouldn't be surprised if the design philosophy was similar but in hubs and not exactly what we have now.

Rappy

I wouldn't call it a disgrace, but it's definitely not what I'm looking for in an FF game. FF has largely been about talking to NPCs and figuring out where to go without a marker to tell you, or exploring every nook and cranny because it doesn't take forever to do so. Can't find the exact thread, but there was one person who was talking about this as "GPS gaming", i.e. eyes always on the mini-map instead of soaking in the sights, which is a huge issue in a lot of modern open world games. Yes, you can turn it off, but it's not practical to do so, especially if quests aren't designed around that. I've always liked how FFs kind of hinted at possible locations to go to by NPCs vaguely referencing them, e.g. FF12. This one feels a lot more inorganic in that sense because of its huge world requiring the display of a marker, but that begs the question of whether an open world was necessary in the first place. Ironically, I feel like despite the developers making such a large world, I actually take in less because of the way they try to direct me in it. I personally haven't been sold on the open world idea yet, as the losses seem to be greater than the gains (decrease in graphical polish, quest quality, too much busy-work, using HUD as a crutch), but I hope the game proves me wrong.
You didn't even really need to talk to NPC's because the game worlds were so small to begin with! People complain so much about the linearity of FFXIII but the previous titles just gave you the illusion of non-linear when only trying to progress the main story. Which I guess you can say that's good design. But with open world, there's no need for an illusion. You say this "GPS gaming" prevents you from soaking in the sights, so just turn off/don't look at the markers. Not practical? Turn them on/look at them when you're ready to move on from exploring/soaking in the sights! Then the only issue is if an NPC doesn't vaguely tell you where to go, but in open world games there are still NPC's like that but maybe not for every quest.

And this "GPS gaming" isn't something that started from open world games. Any game that gave you a mini-map has this "issue". I know when I got the airship or boat in most Final Fantasy games, I'd use nothing but the mini-map to get to where I wanted to go.

Thankfully for me, I will be in Iceland from the 25th to the 8th of November so that makes some time go by.

I seriously can't wait for this game.

Gbraga

Brotherhood in general is great, though I thought the Ignis ep was a bit weak. Still, definitely get a better sense for their characters and background.
early adopter of Noct/Iris pairing

Ignis episode was pretty weak when it comes to getting to know more about him, but I felt like it was actually a good Noctis episode, haha.

Noct/Ignis are really cute together, indeed, but now that you mention it, it's unusually refreshing how he's not whining about his marriage to Luna. He's clearly uncomfortable with it, given his facial animation when Cidney asks him about it, but he knows his duty as a prince, and he really likes Luna, even if not as a lover, so he just goes with it. He knows the importance of peace.

Even if in the end it was all a farse and the marriage will probably never happen, it's interesting that he's not bitching about it the whole time.

Noctis orgy!

LMAO

hard to put to words how disgusted and disappointed I am with the "modern" rpg game design of this game. quest markers, constant HUD prompts and so on. what happened to figuring out stuff on your own and seamless storylines instead of mmo-style quests with check boxes and markers making sure you never get lost. what an awful disgrace this is.

I agree with you, and I hope you can turn off some of the unnecessary shit (I get quests being designed around markers, but do we really need two quest markers, one on screen and another on the mini map?). It would be great if it was as customizable as the HUD in Witcher 3.

But I do think that the game is doing something interesting with its open world design, that separates itself from the typical "modern rpg game design". With this and Zelda not being afraid of giving the player large amounts of land with "nothing to do", this may be the start of a trend of devs not treating us like we all have ADD anymore. I don't need a bunch of icons popping up every two steps, I want to be able to travel some distances and just take in the atmosphere as well, I want to explore for a while and find an optional, well designed dungeon as my reward for it, rather than 30 different icons to chase.

The quest markers show up on the map, you don't need the physical markers that show up in the world which can be disabled.

edit - oh, the complaint is about destination markers on the map too. Yeah... what open world game doesn't hold your hand to indicate where your next destination should be? Sounds like a headache to play trying to figure out where to go.

They can? Is that confirmed? That's fantastic!

I wouldn't call it a disgrace, but it's definitely not what I'm looking for in an FF game. FF has largely been about talking to NPCs and figuring out where to go without a marker to tell you, or exploring every nook and cranny because it doesn't take forever to do so. Can't find the exact thread, but there was one person who was talking about this as "GPS gaming", i.e. eyes always on the mini-map instead of soaking in the sights, which is a huge issue in a lot of modern open world games. Yes, you can turn it off, but it's not practical to do so, especially if quests aren't designed around that. I've always liked how FFs kind of hinted at possible locations to go to by NPCs vaguely referencing them, e.g. FF12. This one feels a lot more inorganic in that sense because of its huge world requiring the display of a marker, but that begs the question of whether an open world was necessary in the first place. Ironically, I feel like despite the developers making such a large world, I actually take in less because of the way they try to direct me in it. I personally haven't been sold on the open world idea yet, as the losses seem to be greater than the gains (decrease in graphical polish, quest quality, too much busy-work, using HUD as a crutch), but I hope the game proves me wrong.

Turning off the minimap for me depends on two things: How fast it is to bring up the regular map, and how well it shows the notable landmarks.

If you just tap a button and the map is on your screen, without too much delay, and instead of looking at where the character arrow is pointing and where the quest marker is, you can just look at the landmark that is closest to the quest marker and instantly remember where it is, then I'm good, fuck the minimap.

Gbraga

Anyone getting the season pass?.

As excited as I am for the game, I can't help but think the DLCs will be extremely shallow. I'm expecting random fetch quests with unpolished gameplay on the current maps.

It'd be fucking amazing if they did something more like Brotherhood, with some adventures with Noctis before the invasion (from the perspective of the chocobros), with an explorable Insomnia (that they could reuse for every DLC, in order to more easily justify the investment of creating that city), but I really really doubt that.

ramyeon

As excited as I am for the game, I can't help but think the DLCs will be extremely shallow. I'm expecting random fetch quests with unpolished gameplay on the current maps.

It'd be fucking amazing if they did something more like Brotherhood, with some adventures with Noctis before the invasion (from the perspective of the chocobros), with an explorable Insomnia (that they could reuse for every DLC, in order to more easily justify the investment of creating that city), but I really really doubt that.
Isn't the DLC going to include scenarios where you play as the other party members? I remember something along those lines leaking.

It'd be fucking amazing if they did something more like Brotherhood, with some adventures with Noctis before the invasion, with an explorable Insomnia (that they could reuse for every DLC, in order to more easily justify the investment of creating that city), but I really really doubt that.

If I'm being honest most Likely yea. Just want to see like a trailer for it or something. See more of what I'm getting before i get it

I'm in the wait and see mode myself, I really want them to support this game with stuff to make it an incentive to buy it.

I hope these party member episodes are dynamic enough to make it worth it.

Isn't the DLC going to include scenarios where you play as the other party members? I remember something along those lines leaking.

Yup.

Alastor3

Shit, you're right. Fuck.

RIP my dreams of finishing Witcher 3 and the first DLC before FFXV comes out.

well, to be fair ,the dlc of dark souls game are just a couple hours, don't know where you are in The Witcher but it's probably more than that

Not until they go into more detail of what it consists of, and even then only if I love the game and some, if not all, of the dlc is already out.

Buying season passes blind is insane to me tbh, find that you normally get a good idea of the full game well before release, but a season pass can easily fool people into getting an inflated idea of it

Not until they go into more detail of what it consists of, and even then only if I love the game and some, if not all, of the dlc is already out.

Buying season passes blind is insane to me tbh, find that you normally get a good idea of the full game well before release, but a season pass can easily fool people into getting an inflated idea of it

This is exactly why I didn't go for the SP with Fallout 4 and after finding out the lack of support, it solidified my thoughts on that subject. You're absolutely justified in your thinking.

Colosseum battles with buddies!! #believe

That would be amazing.

Gbraga

well, to be fair ,the dlc of dark souls game are just a couple hours, don't know where you are in The Witcher but it's probably more than that

I tend to really take my time with Souls games (Dark Souls III took me like 130 hours on my first playthrough), not to mention being unable to stop playing them after I beat the game >_<

As for my Witcher progress, I'm doing board quests in Oxenfurt, and then I'll move to Novigrad.

Steam says I have 116 hours on that game (I did have a save I gave up on before starting a new game, though).

I'll never finish it.

Openly admitting it is the first step
I'll pay anything for kingdom hearts

Come on 3 episodes making them playable?
-than some hidden multiplayer as the last thing...#believe

I think some kind of multiplayer mode is very possible since, iirc, the season pass mentions a new mode, theres one expansion we know nothing about it, and they're making all 3 characters playable.

Gaffi

&#12302;Inaba Resident&#12303;;219808781 said:
I think some kind of multiplayer mode is very possible since, iirc, the season pass mentions a new mode, theres one expansion we know nothing about it, and they're making all 3 characters playable.

I think it'd be awesome if they'd then patch the game to allow you to control the other 3 at any time during the main game but I'd imagine that would put you at a major disadvantage if Noctis is the only one who can counter certain moves from certain boss etc. Plus they can't teleport...

Alastor3

I tend to really take my time with Souls games (Dark Souls III took me like 130 hours on my first playthrough), not to mention being unable to stop playing them after I beat the game >_<

As for my Witcher progress, I'm doing board quests in Oxenfurt, and then I'll move to Novigrad.

Steam says I have 116 hours on that game (I did have a save I gave up on before starting a new game, though).

I'll never finish it.

Yep, you're doomed.

The commentary on the Eurogamer video put a big smile on my face. This is why we play games. To have fun!

Edit:

You can turn off most of the things you are talking about:

You can still figure out and find things on your own. That I promise.
What if I wana keep everything on except the running meter displayer?

&#12302;Inaba Resident&#12303;;219808781 said:
Lol that's what I was Saying keep up Inaba!!!

valkyre

I am not sure i express my question well enough, but to what extend does the game feature global illumination? Is it full on, limited etc ?

farisr

If this had come out on September 30th, probably would have. Since I had that 20% of coupon. But now that that's gone, will probably wait until the first bit of content for that comes out and more details about the rest of the content become known.

Is the Afrojack sword DLC?

Cud1bWbVUAAjy77.jpg

LOL at people still stuck at Versus XIII --- like, I'll pray for you that you may find inner peace.

Anyhow, getting my pre-order this week. Still torn between deluxe and regular version.

Simo

Just got a email from Amazon with a download code for some Amazon pack called the Road Trip? Links me to roadtrip.finalfantasyxv.com but the link isn't working.

Voror

Dammit, I cancelled the Amazon preorder and went for Best Buy because I figured I could get it first thing in the morning.

Top Bottom