• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV first 45 minute gameplay video (final build of the game)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Uughh.. No, thanks.

Especially NOT the bolded.

Some of the best looking games on the PS1 used prerendered backgrounds. Look at how well Chrono Cross aged.

this is a dangerous opinion, CGI simply would kill this franchise

Sure, Spirits Within nearly bankrupted Square and Kingsglaive is pure trash but their game CG has been great. Not sure what your issue is?

There would literally be no point to this whatsoever and from a developer standpoint it would absolutely hinder the workflow. Seriously when we can make things look similar to this, (I say similar because there's no way VIIRemake is gonna look like that on consoles) in realtime pre-rendered backgrounds seriously have no benefit besides pandering to an EXTREMELY small set of fans who're pining for nostalgia and don't understand rendering.

I don't find that video all that impressive? The more realistic they try to make the graphics, the more bland it looks. Look at how much better FFVIII and IX aged compared to FFXII. I just want the Fantasy put back in Final Fantasy.

DrBretto

Banned
The Gamezone gameplay from New York Comic Con is up on Youtube. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FZZRuucDe0

Lol, I don't know how many times I watched the opening hours already. I already know that region and where what is and who says what in my sleep. Watching any additional video I'm like:
In the other video the car in the background was mint green...
Now Noctis says this...and Prompto answers that. Prompto's voice acting is so good. There's that voice crack. :) Ugh, and there goes Gladio again... D:
Ah, they forget to get that Item! No one gets that item even though it is visible like from a mile away. :( It will be the first thing I will get.
Dave's skin really is of a very saturated orange tone... :/ In the other video it didn't just look like that because of the sunset. And during the sandstorm video last week it was of a more yellowish tone.

I've been watching the clouds. It's mesmerizing.

Tyaren

The players also don't have much time with the demo. If I would want to get as far as possible I'd leave everything at it's default setting.
Now that I think about it, I havent seen any player even going to that menu.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't find that video all that impressive? The more realistic they try to make the graphics, the more bland it looks. Look at how much better FFVIII and IX aged compared to FFXII. I just want the Fantasy put back in Final Fantasy.
It's so visually impressive that I don't believe the final game is gonna look like that. Especially the particle effects.. Fantasy doesn't inherently mean=looks nothing like RL. Especially when we're talking about modern rendering tech used in film and games. If anything, making fantasy more believable and grounded is much more immersive for a large part of the gaming community. Like, just to use an example, the now most awarded game of all time, Witcher 3, is crafted, (in-game distances between locations aside), in an incredibly believable fashion which is what makes exploring it fun. It's part of the reason why MMOs turn me off so much is because of just how unrealistically big everything tends to be. And what you're complaining about wouldn't be magically fixed with pre-rendered backgrounds. As more believable architecture is an artistic choice.

Gbraga

The players also don't have much time with the demo. If I would want to get as far as possible I'd leave everything at it's default setting.
Now that I think about it, I havent seen any player even going to that menu.

Some of the videos don't have the button prompts, others the stamina meter. S-E probably asked them to remove it from the footage, just like the cutscenes and Chapter 0.

Renmyra

It's so impressive that I don't believe the final game is gonna look like that. Especially the particle effects.. Fantasy doesn't inherently mean=looks nothing like RL. Especially when we're talking about modern rendering tech used in film and games. If anything, making fantasy more believable and grounded is much more immersive for a large part of the gaming community. Like, just to use an example, the now most awarded game of all time, Witcher 3, is crafted, (in-game distances between locations aside), in an incredibly believable fashion which is what makes exploring it fun. It's part of the reason why MMOs turn me off so much is because of just how unrealistically big everything tends to be. And what you're complaining about wouldn't be magically fixed with pre-rendered backgrounds.

After seeing this video, I can believe it. Especially on Pro.

Crossing Eden

After seeing this video, I can believe it. Especially on Pro.
That game looks great but it only looks comparable on PC at ultra settings. And Square has a history of overshooting when it comes to the visuals of their mainline FF games, (because they announce them super early before optimizations). But here's hoping since they're using a much better engine and will have stronger hardware at their disposal.

Ok, after watching the opening car push scene again I'm now really sold on it. I don't know if they did some rerecording, or just remixing, but I really like the bro banter in this scene now. Prompto continues to grow on me "I've already pushed myself... To the brink of death."

Koozek

Overworlds were always bland in FFs:
ff7_overworld.png

2013-12-06_00003k6uqy.jpg

It's all about the points of interest inbetween those stretches of empty space and FFXV will have plenty of those too (also it's supposed to become more fantastical the further you progress through the world, they just haven't shown those areas much yet, which is good actually):

But I'm not sure if your problem is the art style (how it's rendered) or the world design (architecture etc.). The pre-rendered backgrounds of the PS1 FFs were actually supposed to be "photorealistic" too for their time and under the technical contraints they had on consoles (color range, resolution etc.). It's just that it looks more stylized now compared to our modern graphics and thus seems more iconic or unique than photorealistically rendered stuff. If they could've made it look as realistic as in FFXV back then already they would've done that, no doubt. What you see in FFXV is just the natural progression of high-fidelity graphics. Now, if what you don't like is the actual world design: there should be more fantastical looking dungeons and locations later in the game, as I said above already. We'll see!

Crossing Eden

wat about ubisoft
Created a mandate several months ago that trailers and demos must be shown on target hardware. And still, if we're talking about their premiere franchises, AC never overshoots when it comes to visuals, (performance be damned lol).

Does anyone know if you can get any sort of armor in the game. Or some sort of customization. I don't want to go through the whole game in those lame black outfits.

.JayZii

Banned
Overworlds were always bland in FFs:

It's all about the points of interest inbetween those stretches of empty space and FFXV will have plenty of those too (also it's supposed to become more fantastical the further you progress through the world, they just haven't shown those areas much yet, which is good actually):

But I'm not sure if your problem is the art style (how it's rendered) or the world design (architecture etc.). The pre-rendered backgrounds of the PS1 FFs were actually supposed to be "photorealistic" too for their time and under the technical contraints they had on consoles (color range, resolution etc.). It's just that it looks more stylized now compared to our modern graphics and thus seems more iconic or unique than photorealistically rendered stuff. If they could've made it look as realistic as in FFXV back then already they would've done that, no doubt. What you see in FFXV is just the natural progression of high-fidelity graphics. Now, if what you don't like is the actual world design: there should be more fantastical looking dungeons and locations later in the game, as I said above already. We'll see!
The reality of what Final Fantasy has been in the past doesn't even matter in a lot of the broad complaints. It's about what people feel the truth is.

Sounds familiar...
tumblr_oe10s3edm61sd29ego4_r1_250.gif
tumblr_oe10s3edm61sd29ego4_r1_250.gif
tumblr_oe10s3edm61sd29ego3_r1_250.gif

No armor though...at least as far as we know.

Yes, they do! D: Except Noctis.
And also those snazzy kingsglaive outfits from chapter 0. I hope there's a few more armor-y outfits.

Splinter

So these previews have me hyped as fuck. I haven't played a FF game since 7, which I loved, although that was a much different time in gaming.

So is this a fully open world game? Like skyrim, GTA, etc? Semi open world? Is it an action RPG where you control the characters attacks? Anyone have a good preview vid that gives you an idea of what to expect?

As of right now I do not have Internet, will FF15 require Internet to play? Whether it be gameplay or a mandatory day 1 patch?

benzy

So these previews have me hyped as fuck. I haven't played a FF game since 7, which I loved, although that was a much different time in gaming.

So is this a fully open world game? Like skyrim, GTA, etc? Semi open world? Is it an action RPG where you control the characters attacks? Anyone have a good preview vid that gives you an idea of what to expect?

As of right now I do not have Internet, will FF15 require Internet to play? Whether it be gameplay or a mandatory day 1 patch?

It's full open world, with more areas that unlock as you progress in the story. It's more like Red Dead Redemption and Witcher 3 than GTA and Skyrim. Action combat.
No internet required. They delayed the game to Nov 29 so they could avoid a big day 1 patch, which wasn't and isn't mandatory to play the game.

Crossing Eden

Yes, they do! D: Except Noctis.
I mean they a look a bit overdesigned and don't really fit with the animation, (Noctis's walk cycle looks really jittery without the silhouette that he has from the coat). And Prompto's arms are super skinny that he looks even more thin. Gladio and Ignis don't look that terrible based on that Gif.

Tyaren

You must have been living under a rock. ;D

FFXV has a huge, freely explorable world but it is actually not an open-world game. You have to follow the story to uncover more and more of Eos (the world). During the second part of the game progression will get more linear and very story driven.

Best watch the Playstation Access gameplay videos. They leave out spoilers, explain the game and game mechanics to you and the presenters are really funny and enjoyable:

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oKHkHb6BlA

Part2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27_V04Wlur0

You are lucky they delayed the game to not have a huge, substantial day one patch. They said they want every gamer to enjoy the game even without an internet connection.

Styles

I wonder, will every region be connected in a linear order or if we will have a few that split into different regions that will either lead to dead ends or the same region, but from different entry points, similar to FFXII.

Gbraga

Ok, after watching the opening car push scene again I'm now really sold on it. I don't know if they did some rerecording, or just remixing, but I really like the bro banter in this scene now. Prompto continues to grow on me "I've already pushed myself... To the brink of death."

The whole scene is fantastic. I can perfectly imagine myself as one of them in this situation.

This perfect balance of complaining and joking just feels so real. I honestly think the writing in this game is excellent, as far as party banter goes.

Javin98

Banned
A bit late, but I think when a game is built around having a real time GI solution, it is very unlikely for it to be dropped entirely regardless of how much the visuals are "downgraded". Look at The Division, for instance. The final build does not look as good as initial showings, but the real time GI was still in.

So this is the final build from a couple of weeks ago? Isn't there several more weeks until ti goes gold? Could they be working on a day-1 patch now?

The whole scene is fantastic. I can perfectly imagine myself as one of them in this situation.

This perfect balance of complaining and joking just feels so real. I honestly think the writing in this game is excellent, as far as party banter goes.

Yeah, I'm still not confident in the overall plotting, but a lot of the banter seems quite good, really fleshes out the individuals and their relationships, and all while you're going about your business, not locked away in a cutscene. Pretty cool if it works this well in the whole game.

Javin98

Banned
FFS, what is it with some people being unable to distinguish their preference for art style and technical prowess? I may be reading this wrongly, but you're saying FFXV doesn't look impressive because it looks realistic but with pre rendered backgrounds, it automatically doesn't look bland? What? Realism in visuals is totally down to art style and has nothing to do with backgrounds being real time or pre rendered.

Reminds me of one guy who went on and on trying to prove UC2/3 MP looks better than UC4 MP by posting bullshit about "much better lighting and shading" when all he meant was he prefers the art style in the former.

Gbraga

Yeah, I'm still not confident in the overall plotting, but a lot of the banter seems quite good, really fleshes out the individuals and their relationships, and all while you're going about your business, not locked away in a cutscene. Pretty cool if it works this well in the whole game.

I'm looking forward to quite a few hours of silence and deep breaths after that train scene with Noctis and Gladio.

EDIT: It's also great that it's building on a single narrative, which is their relationship. It's something that is only possible because of the party structure. Even the best open world games usually will have you either alone or with one NPC for a single quest, so they have to rely on mini-stories within the quests themselves to give things meaning, but the fact that the dialogue will be building on top of the main story for every quest you're doing is just a great incentive to exploration in itself. I look forward to their commentary on some tough enemy, unusual item or location as much as I look forward to actually experiencing the thing.

Top Bottom