• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV first 45 minute gameplay video (final build of the game)

DrBretto

Banned
Control Scheme:

See this thread for all ascension skills.

Gambits are internal and not exposed to the player. So, AI is pretty much automatic, but the player has control over some techniques.

So, so glad they left the ED controls in there. I spent hours and hours messing around in Duscae and those controls are fully ingrained in me. I couldn't get used to the PD scheme at all. Kept hitting L1 to dodge on reflex.

I think this is the first time I've noticed a button for the summons. I was wondering how that was going to work.

Koozek

Control Scheme:
CupcIZlXgAQjdLP.jpg:large

Type B all the way! Hate Guard on a face button.

There is something about the Cactuar that totally gets me excited every time I see one. When they're at their best, they show up at surprising times and are hard to catch (just like in that vid) but also very rewarding when you can get it. Hopefully they match that part in the game as well.

The best monster Tetsuya Nomura ever created IMO (not counting bosses and summons). It's just so iconic. Only the Tonberry comes close.

Zedark

Type B all the way! Hate Guard on a face button.

This guy gets it! Guarding/dodging should not be in the same place as attack, makes switching between the two a hazzle (Bloodborne did it well, with Attack on R1/R2 and dodge on circle).

Edit: just to be clear, Bloodborne's setup is not the optimal setup to me. My favourite setup has dodge on L1 and attack on a face button.

Renmyra

I hope you can customize. I want attack on cross, jump on circle and guard on square. What happened to the good old defaults.

Type B is the only correct choice

BTW you can also sprint if you press the attack button (circle or square) when there are no enemies nearby. I hate clicking L3 button in my games

Ralemont

not me
This guy gets it! Guarding/dodging should not be in the same place as attack, makes switching between the two a hazzle (Bloodborne did it well, with Attack on R1/R2 and dodge on circle).

I actually just posted this in the current Bloodborne thread, but I think Bloodborne fumbled this. I don't believe dodge should ever be on a face button for games where lock-on camera can be an issue. Putting it on the shoulder lets you manipulate the camera and dodge at once which feels so much better. IIRC DMC games have dodge on the shoulder.

(Bloodborne also doesn't have alternate control schemes at all...)

Type B for me I think, seems closest to God of War controls

Seems a bit strange that you can't have attack on a shoulder button, would probably choose that if I could

edit: might tweak it through PS4 accessibility settings, though that could mess up menu controls

Joqu

I'm going to play around with both before deciding definitively, but type B does look like it's the way to go. I really need that dodge on a shoulder button

Exentryk

I don't believe dodge should ever be on a face button for games where lock-on camera can be an issue. Putting it on the shoulder lets you manipulate the camera and dodge at once which feels so much better.

I agree. It's not big a deal where camera and locking on is done well, but in this game however, lock-on is not that great, and the camera is the same. That's why I plan on changing dodge to a shoulder button (probably L1) [Type B already has this so all good]. Warp will also need to be on the shoulder button (probably R1) for the same reason, because you need to move the camera to find lock on spots.

Zedark

I actually just posted this in the current Bloodborne thread, but I think Bloodborne fumbled this. I don't believe dodge should ever be on a face button for games where lock-on camera can be an issue. Putting it on the shoulder lets you manipulate the camera and dodge at once which feels so much better. IIRC DMC games have dodge on the shoulder.

Yeah, I wouldn't say Bloodborne's setup is optimal, it's best is when guard/dodge is on L1 and attack is a face button. Tales of Zestiria, for all its many flaws, has nailed this layout. What I should have said is that for me, the gravest sin is having both attack and dodge on the face buttons. Dodge on face buttons is not optimal, but I personally don't have problems handling it. The best is definitiely dodge on L1, that feels very natural and can be executed immediately after an attack, without the 'lag' that comes from shifting your thumb from one face button to another.

Dark_castle

What's technique referring to? Like the weapon abilities? I thought it's been changed to holding down d-pad and press attack or something.

DrBretto

Banned
A two-fer from Jubileus, who is paying attention to the little stuff:

First on Mognet

He compiles heard dialog between different preview footages uncovering a bit of a mystery behind what happened to Cindy's father/Cid's son (Whose name had better be Mid!). I feel like this makes the world feel more alive.

And then strikes again on Gamefaqs

This time, finding a clue as to why Noctis, a famous Prince, can't afford to get his car repaired.

Just thought these were worth sharing.

Gbraga

Only DmC. The original series needs you to press face buttons for dodges. Be it a style modifier with O or the regular lock-on + direction + X.

A two-fer from Jubileus, who is paying attention to the
And then strikes again on Gamefaqs

This time, finding a clue as to why Noctis, a famous Prince, can't afford to get his car repaired.

Just thought these were worth sharing.

Isn't that just for Episode Duscae? Here they're already waiting for the car to be repaired and running errands for Cidney, only in Episode Duscae we have the mission to gather the money to fix the car. They're still broke, but the Regalia won't be the reason they need money. At least not at first, we know Cidney charges a fee to take the car to your location, but that's mostly just a gameplay thing. Not to mention Insomnia is RIP, so they can't exactly put it on Regis' tab anymore :p

I'm assuming the currency difference is what explains why we don't have any money to use on other stuff and need some borrowed from Cidney, and the fall of Insomnia will be the reason why he won't just use the I'M A PRINCE card to get shit, I'm sure his word would suffice anywhere in Lucis before that, but now not only he's no longer anything really since Niflheim took over, but also he doesn't really want to go around telling people where he is.

Koozek

Type B is the only correct choice

BTW you can also sprint if you press the attack button (circle or square) when there are no enemies nearby. I hate clicking L3 button in my games
Sprint on anything but L2/R2 is disgusting, but almost no game does that :( It just makes no sense with third-person games where you always have both thumbs on the sticks. Or they should have L3/R3 as grip buttons like the Steam controller has. I actually can't believe that Valve was the first to think about doing this. Much more convenient than pressing the sticks while moving them around.

They could've put Summon on L3 though for both control schemes easily because it's not used as often and put Sprint on L2. Boom. Problem solved
HIRE ME TABBY

DrBretto

Banned
I can't tell if this is good or bad world-building, but at least it's world-building. I feel like Insomnia as the capital city would have forced its currency on the rest of its territory, but I'm no expert on actual historical examples of this.

There's only a little to go on for that one, but I was prepared to just gloss over that anyway, so I'm in the same boat of "at least it's world building"

But the Cid/Cindy part, I like. As well as Regis' old friend running that tavern and some other little details I read but don't have time to remember ATM.

Zedark

Only DmC. The original series needs you to press face buttons for dodges. Be it a style modifier with O or the regular lock-on + direction + X.

Isn't that just for Episode Duscae? Here they're already waiting for the car to be repaired and running errands for Cidney, only in Episode Duscae we have the mission to gather the money to fix the car. They're still broke, but the Regalia won't be the reason they need money. At least not at first, we know Cidney charges a fee to take the car to your location, but that's mostly just a gameplay thing. Not to mention Insomnia is RIP, so they can't exactly put it on Regis' tab anymore :p

I'm assuming the currency difference is what explains why we don't have any money to use on other stuff and need some borrowed from Cidney, and the fall of Insomnia will be the reason why he won't just use the I'M A PRINCE card to get shit, I'm sure his word would suffice anywhere in Lucis before that, but now not only he's no longer anything really since Niflheim took over, but also he doesn't really want to go around telling people where he is.

Noctis and his crew don't know yet that Insomnia has fallen at this point, so they have no reason to shy away from the 'I'm the prince' behaviour or to want to hide their whereabouts.

DrBretto

Banned

You get sent on the first mission as payment for the car. You don't just have to go collecting money like in Duscae, but you start the game off broke, and that poster was just noticing a clue as to possibly why. It's pretty much just based on the possible throw-away line from Prompto where he says "what's a gil?"

Koozek

There's only a little to go on for that one, but I was prepared to just gloss over that anyway, so I'm in the same boat of "at least it's world building"

But the Cid/Cindy part, I like. As well as Regis' old friend running that tavern and some other little details I read but don't have time to remember ATM.
That must be Weskham from A King's Tale, who seems to own a restaurant in Altissia (he was seen in the Altissia walkthrough video).

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1FOmhyG.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wjgEKkR.jpg[/IMG]

My dream of a dedicated magic button has died.

Rather than summons on a dedicated shoulder button, it should have been magic. Tap to quick-cast, hold for the manual aim cast, while holding the d-pad select would switch to a pallet of magic. So rather than 4 slots divided between weapons and magic, it'd be 4 weapon slots and 4 magic slots.

Then Techniques + Magic shoulder buttons (L1 + L2 for A, L2 + R2 for B) for summons.

DrBretto

Banned
That must be Weskham from A King's Tale, who seems to own a restaurant in Altissia (he was seen in the Altissia walkthrough video).

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1FOmhyG.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wjgEKkR.jpg[/IMG]

Yep. I couldn't remember his name and I'm at work and just wanted to hit post before we moved on to the next thread already :p

Gbraga

Noctis and his crew don't know yet that Insomnia has fallen at this point, so they have no reason to shy away from the 'I'm the prince' behaviour or to want to hide their whereabouts.

I know, which is why I said "will be", as in, later in the game. :p

Couple things:

Have we seen anything resembling a card mini game yet? Lovvvvvvve me some triple triad.

Also, picking up the PS4P for this game. All this button configuration talk has got me wondering what people think of the in-box controller? I bought an elite for PC/xbone and I think that thing is magnificent. There's not a better aftermarket sony is there?

Couple things:

Have we seen anything resembling a card mini game yet? Lovvvvvvve me some triple triad.

Also, picking up the PS4P for this game. All this button configuration talk has got me wondering what people think of the in-box controller? I bought an elite for PC/xbone and I think that thing is magnificent. There's not a better aftermarket sony is there?
Regarding to the mini game question nope. Only thing we've seen is them playing cards and that looks more like a rest cutscene.

I can't tell if this is good or bad world-building, but at least it's world-building. I feel like Insomnia as the capital city would have forced its currency on the rest of its territory, but I'm no expert on actual historical examples of this.

Lucis has retreated behind the barrier though. It seems like there's not that much external commerce. Still, unless it's totally hermetically sealed, it is a little strange that there wouldn't be some kind of currency exchange....

DrBretto

Banned
Do we have an idea of how many spells there will be?

Technically, 970,299 * however many items you can combine it with.

But what's not known yet is whether or not there's only Fire, Ice and Lightning animations for each one, just with different effects. It's closer to Mix than spells.

valkyre

Are they going to show the game running on Pro prior to the game's release? They said that supposedly the game will be Pro-ready upon release but will they actually show us anything before that?

My purchase of a PS4 Pro or not, pretty much depends on this game lol...

Ray Down

Banned
Are they going to show the game running on Pro prior to the game's release? They said that supposedly the game will be Pro-ready upon release but will they actually show us anything before that?

My purchase of a PS4 Pro or not, pretty much depends on this game lol...

We will probably see it sometime before the Pro releases, we still have about a month before it launches.

Top Bottom