• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV first 45 minute gameplay video (final build of the game)

DrBretto

Banned
Does anybody know if they're using the touchpad for more than a menu press? It would be great to be able to assign the map shortcut to a touchpad swipe or pressing one of the sides, better than the weird R3, and R3 is much better for lock-on anyway.

I know, I know, just messing around.

You're not a fan? Because you don't like the series or just never played the games? If the latter, you should try the series when you get the chance.

I'm not *not* a fan. I just hadn't even heard of it until about a year ago. I've never played any of it, but have nothing against it either. I've just seen a lot of Persona fans popping into the FFXV forums on gamefaqs trying to turn it into some kind of competition. I don't get it, because I'm pretty sure everyone who wants both will have both. That and there's just no way a game like that is going to compete with a mainstream juggernaut like FFXV.

Ralemont

not me
I'm not *not* a fan. I just hadn't even heard of it until about a year ago. I've never played any of it, but have nothing against it either. I've just seen a lot of Persona fans popping into the FFXV forums on gamefaqs trying to turn it into some kind of competition. I don't get it, because I'm pretty sure everyone who wants both will have both. That and there's just no way a game like that is going to compete with a mainstream juggernaut like FFXV.

I waited a year to play The Witcher 3 because of that exact nonsense its fans pulled in Dragon Age threads.

Koozek

I waited a year to play The Witcher 3 because of that exact nonsense its fans pulled in Dragon Age threads.
Have you missed the many TW3 comparisons in FFXV threads then?^^
I'm guilty of it too after having played TW3 for the first time this year - it's now my GOTG (until FFXV hopefully).

Given that these are lengthy games, I'm thinking I won't even have finished FFXV by the time Persona 5 comes out.
Or perhaps I'm just a slow player?
Not a slow player at all. I also get caught up in the lil things in games so even with time off I doubt I'll be close to finish

akumu

Lucis has retreated behind the barrier though. It seems like there's not that much external commerce. Still, unless it's totally hermetically sealed, it is a little strange that there wouldn't be some kind of currency exchange....

Wouldn't it be because (Kingsglaive spoilers)
Lucis signed a deal to surrender all territories except Insomnia (the capital), thus all other territories use Niflheim currency? I might be wrong though.

Not a slow player at all. I also get caught up in the lil things in games so even with time off I doubt I'll be close to finish

Good to know I'm not alone in this!

I'm seeing players press triangle when the see a warp point, I don't blame them for failing each time.
Warp points should only show the triangle icon if you lock on to them.

Xliskin

There are seemingly different modes. We've seen the Duscae style Armiger at BGW about a week ago, and we've also seen the Platinum Demo Armiger as well.

Could not tell the difference between two modes I found them similar and kinda boring , literally hold attack button and do so much damage

Koozek

I'm seeing players press triangle when the see a warp point, I don't blame them for failing each time.
Warp points should only show the triangle icon if you lock on to them.
Nah, makes sense the way it is now (even though, yeah, the button prompt icons don't make it clear enough that you have to hold) because how would you be able to lock on to warp points instead of the closest enemy? Would turn into a hassle of switching through targets during more chaotic battles. As it is now you know that the currently shown warp point will work 100% if you just hold warp.

Ray Down

Banned
CurBNCCWIAAn0OB.jpg

Wonder what Lucis money?

Skullbucks.

Nah, makes sense the way it is now (even though, yeah, the button prompt icons don't make it clear enough that you have to hold) because how would you be able to lock on to warp points instead of the closest enemy? Would turn into a hassle of switching through targets during more chaotic battles. As it is now you know that the currently shown warp point will work 100% if you just hold warp.
Oh, so you have to hold triangle to warp to markers ?

Koozek

Oh, so you have to hold triangle to warp to markers ?

LOL, see. That just proved my point about the icon not being self-explanatory. There's a arrow pointing to the button which most will probably interpret as, well... press button and not hold. But I have to admit I can't come up with a better symbol for "hold button".

Gbraga

If I like XV as much as I'm hoping I will, I'll definitely finish my first playthrough until Persona 5 comes out. The problem is that I'm rarely satisfied with that.

I'm the kind of player who will usually either be tired of the game before it's even over or will replay it multiple times. Rarely I'll be satisfied with a single playthrough and think that was just right. It's not a very reasonable way of thinking, but it is what it is.

wmlk

LOL, see. That just proved my point about the icon not being self-explanatory. There's a arrow pointing to the button which most will probably interpret as, well... press button and not hold. But I have to admit I can't come up with a better symbol for "hold button".

It literally says hold button on the marker now. What else do you really need?

Koozek

Oh, really? I was going by what I remembered from one of the last videos.

This is from Polygon's preview:
pWJ52sd.jpg

EDIT:
NYCC build had the same prompt:
6OrKUg0.jpg

Now I'm curious which one you mean. Link please :p

South park?Kingdom hearts 2.8? Gravity rush 2?... disgusting u forgot to add.

OK, I know the definition of RPG has been misused, bastardized and spat on over the years, but stretching it to cover Gravity Rush reaches new heights of stupid. There is only so much that you can put under a word (or three)'s definition before it can be applied to literally every and anything, and therefore become 100% useless.

Xliskin

If i remember correclty baseed on PD , hold triangle to warp to anything you locked on or the auto lock , press triangle to do normal warp i was using it to dodge Iron Giant attacks

Koozek

NYCC build had the same prompt as the Polygon one (just an small arrow over Triangle, no "Hold"):
6OrKUg0.jpg

Now I'm curious which one you mean. Link please :p I'll check the Eurogamer and EGX one too.

EDIT:

Eurogamer, too:
c27J4sa.jpg

OK, I know the definition of RPG has been misused, bastardized and spat on over the years, but stretching it to cover Gravity Rush reaches new heights of stupid. There is only so much that you can put under a word (or three)'s definition before it can be applied to literally every and anything, and therefore become 100% useless.
ddd.gif

wmlk

NYCC build had the same prompt as the Polygon one (just an small arrow over Triangle, no "Hold"):
6OrKUg0.jpg

Now I'm curious which one you mean. Link please :p I'll check the Eurogamer and EGX one too.

Actually, you're right. It's really weird lol.

At least they have a button prompt now. In any case, it's something some people are never going to take advantage of unless it's more obvious.

wmlk

Didn't the Eurogamer article say the tutorials are very good? I'm sure they will tell you to Hold Triangle to Warp.

Yeah, you're right. There's a dedicated tutorial that you can choose to do and isn't forced on you. I'm guessing it's basically the Duscae tutorial.

Koozek

At least they have a button prompt now. In any case, it's something some people are never going to take advantage of unless it's more obvious.
Yeah, it's a small nitpick, but still could've easily been made more intuitive by writing "Hold". There's just no good, clear icon I can think of right now for button-holding^^

DrBretto

Banned
Yeah, it's a small nitpick, but still could've easily been made more intuitive by writing "Hold". There's just no good, clear icon I can think of right now for button-holding^^

I believe the footage that we have seen where it does say hold was all the way back on the Nifleheim base footage. So they HAD it say hold before and then took it away.

Ketaya

If i remember correclty baseed on PD , hold triangle to warp to anything you locked on or the auto lock , press triangle to do normal warp i was using it to dodge Iron Giant attacks

No, in PD and the final version it's hold to warp to warp-point (even when it's off-screen or you're locked on to something), press when locked on for warp-strike and press without lock-on to warp in the direction Noctis is facing.

I believe the footage that we have seen where it does say hold was all the way back on the Nifleheim base footage. So they HAD it say hold before and then took it away.

Yep, they removed it when they introduced the new icon.
I think it's better this way, because writing HOLD in front of everything that requires holding the button would look off, especially for languages where the word is longer.
With the arrow they have a standardized indicator for all situations that works after it's explained once.

pablito

I'm the kind of player who will usually either be tired of the game before it's even over or will replay it multiple times. Rarely I'll be satisfied with a single playthrough and think that was just right. It's not a very reasonable way of thinking, but it is what it is.

I'm close to this. I either stop playing, or play things multiple times. A few of my favorites won't get replays, though. Okami is one of them. I keep telling myself to replay it someday but I don't think I can. Also one playthrough of a character action game or a horror game is enough for me most times.

Gbraga

I'm close to this. I either stop playing, or play things multiple times. A few of my favorites won't get replays, though. Okami is one of them. I keep telling myself to replay it someday but I don't think I can. Also one playthrough of a character action game or a horror game is enough for me most times.

Yeah, there are exceptions. You're a heretic for including character action as one of yours, but yeah.

Another example for me would be Telltale games and others like it, it's not even that I don't feel like doing another playthrough, or that I think I wouldn't enjoy it, but I'm ok with having to deal with my decisions, even if they don't really affect the final outcome of the journey at all.

I do want to replay Season 1 of Walking Dead more than I want to play Season 3, though.

pablito

Lol my excuse is that I don't have much brain power left after work. Something like a character action game, or a fighter, any game I have to be good at basically, isn't too good for me since I'm running on fumes. If I have to react, think, etc, I'll probably have a shorter gaming session.

Aka me dumb D:

KupoNut

It's unfortunate because it used to say "Hold" back during the infiltration gameplay in January
TacK3te.jpg

Gbraga

It's unfortunate because it used to say "Hold" back during the infiltration gameplay in January
TacK3te.jpg

They did the right thing removing it, imo. It'll only be a problem for a couple of minutes until the player gets to the warp point tutorial. Better than having a busier HUD for the entire game in order to make it clear for the player before they play it for an hour.

Xliskin

No, in PD and the final version it's hold to warp to warp-point (even when it's off-screen or you're locked on to something), press when locked on for warp-strike and press without lock-on to warp in the direction Noctis is facing.

Yep, they removed it when they introduced the new icon.
I think it's better this way, because writing HOLD in front of everything that requires holding the button would look off, especially for languages where the word is longer.
With the arrow they have a standardized indicator for all situations that works after it's explained once.

Are you sure? cause I do not remember this happened to me this does not feel right warping to point off screen :/

wmlk

Are you sure? cause I do not remember this happened to me this does not feel right warping to point off screen :/

You may have equipped a weapon with which you cannot perform a Point Warp. You could only Point Warp with the Airstep Sword and the Cross Shuriken.

Ketaya

They did the right thing removing it, imo. It'll only be a problem for a couple of minutes until the player gets to the warp point tutorial. Better than having a busier HUD for the entire game in order to make it clear for the player before they play it for an hour.

I agree, as I said above, if they write HOLD here they need to add it in all places where holding is required, otherwise it would be inconsistent and confusing. The arrow is a nice and simple solution to make the difference clear.

Top Bottom