• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV first 45 minute gameplay video (final build of the game)

DeSolos

Does anyone know what the main differences will be between the PS4 and PS4 Pro Final Fantasy XV?

Will there be a drastic graphical overhaul?

So far they said 4K and HDR. I think they're tweaking other things as well, but don't expect much.

I think most of the team has probably moved on to working on future patches and DLC. So whatever skeleton crew is working on the Pro version probably won't be able to do much.

Ketaya

Are you sure? cause I do not remember this happened to me this does not feel right warping to point off screen :/

Yup, and I just checked again because I wasn't sure about it working for off-screen points anymore and yes, that works as well.
Although the range in PD is pretty small before it loses the point when you're on the ground (it's better while hanging on warp-point), it has a bigger range in ED.
There is an indicator at the edge of the screen when it's close enough.

CurtarPXEAAMc3c.jpg:large

CurtrNsWEAAxc7Y.jpg:large

Koozek

Yup, and I just checked again because I wasn't sure about it working for off-screen points anymore and yes, that works as well.
Although the range in PD is pretty small before it loses the point when you're on the ground (it's better while hanging on warp-point), it has a bigger range in ED.
There is an indicator at the edge of the screen when it's close enough.
"Tachyonensprung" was such an unusual translation when I saw it^^ Wonder if it's still called that.

Ketaya

"Tachyonensprung" was such an unusual translation when I saw it^^ Wonder if it's still called that.

Yeah, I really liked that because it gave the translation more personality than just using the english term.
But sadly at least the gamescom version is the same as PD with "Warp" and "Punktwarp" instead of "Tachyonensprung" and "Warp Angriff" instead of "Tachyonenbrecher".
If I had to guess I'd say they changed it because they think the word is to complicated for the average player to understand and "Warp" is more marketing-friendly.

Yeah, I really liked that because it gave the translation more personality than just using the english term.
But sadly at least the gamescom version is the same as PD with "Warp" and "Punktwarp" instead of "Tachyonensprung" and "Warp Angriff" instead of "Tachyonenbrecher".
If I had to guess I'd say they changed it because they think the word is to complicated for the average player to understand and "Warp" is more marketing-friendly.

Tachyonensprung is an awesome word for warp!

I watched a lot of dubbed Star Trek TNG when I was in Deutschland, but I can't remember what they called "warp." I just remember Energie!, which was used for both "engage" and "energize."

Ketaya

Tachyonensprung is an awesome word for warp!

I watched a lot of dubbed Star Trek TNG when I was in Deutschland, but I can't remember what they called "warp." I just remember Energie!, which was used for both "engage" and "energize."

Heh, it was simply called "warp" in the german Star Trek dub as well.
"Tachyonensprung" is such a good name because to me it shows the translators did some research and put some thought into it and trust the player to understand it. (A tachyon is a particle that moves faster than light.)

Ishida

Banned
Anyone else following YongYea's Versus/XV retrospective?

I think it's cool on some parts, but it really bothers me when he gives incorrect information, like he's not doing enough research, or he's not aware of the latest info.

In the most recent video he says that in the Versus days, Noctis' powers came from "being able to see the light" (Of expiring souls). He then says that this was completely changed for FFXV, and that now Noctis' powers "come from the Ring of the Lucii", which is completely incorrect.

First of all, Noctis is able to see the "light" in FFXV also. This was confirmed recently, I believe.

Also, the source of his powers during the Versus days is exactly the same as it is in FFXV: His connection to the Lucian Crystal, due to his royal blood. This was even confirmed by Nomura back in the day. He even said that the only reason Noctis' companions were able to use magical abilities like summoning their weapons was due to their connection to Noctis (Like, being nerby him), and that without Noctis, the gang wouldn't be able to summon weapons.

I think Yong has his heart on the right place, and the videos themselves are detailed and pretty cool. But he's spreading some misinformation about the actual differences between Versus and XV.

Earlier on, he made the classic mistake of saying that Prompto used to be a fugitive during the Versus days, and that he was later modified into a regular friend of Noctis. Thankfully, he later acknowledged his mistake on the next video.
Even since the Versus days, Prompto was always the "newest member of Noctis' gang", as per Nomura himself. It's actually very surprising how little has changed from the original outline that was made public about Versus.

Anyways, just wanted to share that, since I'm following Yong's videos every day. :)

Ceravic

Week off confirmed

If it's delayed again, I may or may not cry

I had to delay mine too. I think we're safe this time. When new stuff is shown there isn't the public outcry of "They need to delay this game!" like there was when they were showing stuff in August. It's all looking pretty damned good in recent weeks.

chrono01

This looks like an incredible improvement from what we saw at E3. Amazing stuff.

With release nearing closer, I really need to make my final decision as to whether I should keep my UCE pre-order or not. The game looks great, but considering the value of all of the items you receive with the UCE, I'm not entirely sure it's worth it. I kind of want to go all-out for this game, since I've been anticipating it for so long, but I don't want to unnecessarily waste money either. The thing will end up costing me $415 CDN, and that's not factoring in brokerage charges if I get any...

When I look at that cost, I kind of think the Deluxe Edition might be better for me. It's just so much money to throw down on a game, especially with the PS4 Pro launching soon.

I'm still on the fence regarding buying a PS4 Pro for this game.

If it's only differentiating features are HDR and 4K [with all the Pro enhancements already on the game disc] - I'll just hold off and get a Pro later and play it on the vanilla PS4 in the meantime.

If it's only differentiating features are HDR and 4K [with all the Pro enhancements already on the game disc] - I'll just hold off and get a Pro later and play it on the vanilla PS4 in the meantime.

I don't think tabata has specifically said what the pro upgrades will be (largely because it isn't very standardized by Sony). I'm on a 1080p set and not sure what to expect. I'd rather take 60fps with a small bump in IQ than downsample from 4K but still be at 30.

Also, not sure what you mean by "enhancements already on the game disc." Higher res textures?

I don't think tabata has specifically said what the pro upgrades will be (largely because it isn't very standardized by Sony). I'm on a 1080p set and not sure what to expect. I'd rather take 60fps with a small bump in IQ than downsample from 4K but still be at 30.

Also, not sure what you mean by "enhancements already on the game disc." Higher res textures?

I just meant that since it has to play on both the Pro and vanilla PS4, that any Pro enhancements should already be on the game disc - barring of course a possible day-one patch that may specifically add these enhancements.

I was considering getting the Pro for FFXV right when it was first announced, but the recent footage we have seen of FFXV on base PS4 gives me confidence that the difference will be small. Probably going to hold out on a Pro until further notice.

JBwB

Same here.

I'll be playing at 1080p so if supersampling is all we're getting then I may just hold off on getting a Pro until I can get a 4K HDR TV (with low input lag!).

Tyaren

Same here.

I'll be playing at 1080p so if supersampling is all we're getting then I may just hold off on getting a Pro until I can get a 4K HDR TV (with low input lag!).

Same here. If there was a 1080p mode like in RotTR or Paragon with all graphical bells and whistles I'd buy a PS4 pro for this but not if it's just 4K and HDR. And it looks as if it's going to be only that, which is kind of a shame...though it will make regular console owners, that can't or don't want to afford the PS4 Pro yet, feel a little better not playing a vastly inferior version, which is imo also a fair thing. I can totally relate to that.

Same here.

Same with me - I'm playing on a 1080p LCD TV.

Now, if the graphics are seriously enhanced on the Pro - like pushing poly counts, better animation, etc. I'll get the Pro :)

Philippo

I'm okay with minal enhancements for XV on Pro but will get it nonetheless, simply because now it's the last moment to get a good deal for trading in the standard PS4.

Koozek

I've been contemplating whether to buy a Pro as my first PS4 for FFXV or not too for the last few weeks, but I'm slowly but surely convinced that it won't be worth 200€ more for me (yes, PS4 Slim is on sale here for 200€ right now), as I don't even have a Full HD TV and could just put that money towards the NX in March. Especially now that the base version looks so good already. Let's wait for their official Pro footage and information on the patch.

Tyaren

...like pushing poly counts, better animation, etc. I'll get the Pro :)

That is something you won't get anway. ;) Usually not even PC versions on the highest settings have better polygon models and definitely no better animations.
Things that are usually improved with more hardware power are a more stable framerate, higher IQ (image quality), better LOD (level of detail in the distance), higher texture and shadow resolution.

DrBretto

Banned
I've been contemplating whether to buy a Pro as my first PS4 for FFXV or not too for the last few weeks, but I'm slowly but surely convinced that it won't be worth 200€ more for me (yes, PS4 Slim is on sale here for 200€ right now), as I don't even have a Full HD TV and could just put that money towards the NX in March. Especially now that the base version looks so good already. Let's wait for their official Pro footage and information on the patch.

If I was more in need of an entirely new PS4, I feel like the choice is a lot easier. I guess it's a little more murky in your situation because you don't have the TV for it and it sounds like you're getting a good deal (I don't know how € converts to $ or what they normally go for, but half is half).

But, if it's me in your shoes, I get the Pro, because by the time it's time to buy a new TV, you will probably find 4k for a reasonable price and you'll already be all set on the playstation.

I feel there's inflated hype surrounding the Pro, we don't know what type of enhancements it will serve for the game and others.

It just feels like to me it's some quick fix for some people when we don't know for sure what support some of these devs will do. I'm also in the wait and see camp.

Aters

I feel there's inflated hype surrounding the Pro, we don't know what type of enhancements it will serve for the game and others.

It just feels like to me it's some quick fix for some people when we don't know for sure what support some of these devs will do. I'm also in the wait and see camp.

I basically stopped thinking about the Pro. It seems only 4k TV can properly utilize the power of Pro. Plus NX sounds like a better investment.

butman

Anyone else following YongYea's Versus/XV retrospective?

I think it's cool on some parts, but it really bothers me when he gives incorrect information, like he's not doing enough research, or he's not aware of the latest info.

In the most recent video he says that in the Versus days, Noctis' powers came from "being able to see the light" (Of expiring souls). He then says that this was completely changed for FFXV, and that now Noctis' powers "come from the Ring of the Lucii", which is completely incorrect.

First of all, Noctis is able to see the "light" in FFXV also. This was confirmed recently, I believe.

Also, the source of his powers during the Versus days is exactly the same as it is in FFXV: His connection to the Lucian Crystal, due to his royal blood. This was even confirmed by Nomura back in the day. He even said that the only reason Noctis' companions were able to use magical abilities like summoning their weapons was due to their connection to Noctis (Like, being nerby him), and that without Noctis, the gang wouldn't be able to summon weapons.

I think Yong has his heart on the right place, and the videos themselves are detailed and pretty cool. But he's spreading some misinformation about the actual differences between Versus and XV.

Earlier on, he made the classic mistake of saying that Prompto used to be a fugitive during the Versus days, and that he was later modified into a regular friend of Noctis. Thankfully, he later acknowledged his mistake on the next video.
Even since the Versus days, Prompto was always the "newest member of Noctis' gang", as per Nomura himself. It's actually very surprising how little has changed from the original outline that was made public about Versus.

Anyways, just wanted to share that, since I'm following Yong's videos every day. :)

Here. It's my everyday dose until the game comes out.

He does a very good job of curating info and his narrative is very easy to listen and the duration of the episodes are just perfect.

I basically stopped thinking about the Pro. It seems only 4k TV can properly utilize the power of Pro. Plus NX sounds like a better investment.
This is where I stand. Pre ordered the pro outta hype than cancelled 2 days later. $400 for the psvr than the nx next year. Also helps that sony(imo) haven't been pushing pro as some must have and that all game footage hasn't immediately shifted to being pro so that makes me feel even better with the og ps4 because these games are looking damn good

Koozek

If I was more in need of an entirely new PS4, I feel like the choice is a lot easier. I guess it's a little more murky in your situation because you don't have the TV for it and it sounds like you're getting a good deal (I don't know how € converts to $ or what they normally go for, but half is half).

But, if it's me in your shoes, I get the Pro, because by the time it's time to buy a new TV, you will probably find 4k for a reasonable price and you'll already be all set on the playstation.
Yeah, thought about that too, but it could be another 1.5 years or so until I'm done with my studies, start working and have money for a new TV - and at that point I could just jump right into next-gen and get the PS5 together with a new TV (probably with FFVIIR-1 on launch, lol) in late 2018.

Ishida

Banned
There are very few people alive that'd be able to keep up with ALL of released information/etc. on versus and XV. I'd take it for what it is.

Oh definitely. But I think that if you are going to try and make a 60 days long, documentary-style retrospective, then he should at least check and double check the info he presents.

The videos themselves are fantastic, though. I just had a couple of issues to share. :)

Here. It's my everyday dose until the game comes out.

He does a very good job of curating info and his narrative is very easy to listen and the duration of the episodes are just perfect.

Agreed! These videos really take me back.

This is where I stand. Pre ordered the pro outta hype than cancelled 2 days later. $400 for the psvr than the nx next year. Also helps that sony(imo) haven't been pushing pro as some must have and that all game footage hasn't immediately shifted to being pro so that makes me feel even better with the og ps4 because these games are looking damn good

Console gaming is literally becoming PC gaming.

Games will now release with 2 ways to play - regular PS4 and enhanced [and in some cases vastly enhanced] PS4 Pro versions - both accessible from the same disc. PC gaming is like this also, with multiple texture and audio setups coming on disc, so that you can experience the game regardless of what setup you have - from the highest-end, bleeding-edge rig down to something less expensive and affordable.

Add to that removable hard drives, customizing consoles, etc. - it's really going to become a very blurred line at some point.

Same - I don't think there'd be much mileage from a pro for me unless I seriously upgrade my TV, and that's major money.

I still kind of miss the SNES/CRT days, those heroic little sprites marching across the grainy luminous screen.

DrBretto

Banned
Yeah, thought about that too, but it could be another 1.5 years or so until I'm done with my studies, start working and have money for a new TV - and at that point I could just jump right into next-gen and get the PS5 together with a new TV (probably with FFVIIR-1 on launch, lol) in late 2018.

Yeah. The more I think about it, the harder your situation appears, lol.

If you're a student, then getting something on the cheap is huge value. By the time you can afford a new TV, you can either not care about the 4k part or just upgrade that when you have the money. The upgrade from the TV you have now to a decent 1080 even would be huge anyway.

Ahh! Those were the salad days!

Back then, the only dilemma you had was what size your TV was to play on.

Things sure have changed...

No kidding. It's of course human nature to always calibrate wants to the social baseline, but I think I'd be happier with a little less choice, particularly when the part I really care about -- the experience of adventure -- has little to do with polish.

Simplify, simplify.

Top Bottom