• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skulldead

I saw some hunt middle game, no way you can hold attack and evade and think you can win these fight. Some of them look truly challenging, getting 2-3 shot happen a lot even over level a little. i can live with a so-so story, but the gameplay look pretty good so far that it's going to hock me i'm pretty sure. I'm really looking foward to do another challenging battle like the crab hunt in the jugement demo (it was the only fight that challenge other then the level 38 mob).

Aters

I'm going to be so pissed off if in the DLC for Prompto, Gladiolus and Ignis [and possibly Luna] that each one has a city or town added to the game as a part of it. I'm kind of getting that sneaking suspicion, that this is why they needed more time to work on the DLC's - because they were originally supposed to be a part of the main game, but they ran out of time to finish them and add them in. For example, they mention that in Prompto's DLC, there will be a snowmobile - implying there's a snowy area and probably a town also. Some of the past games in the saga have had entire side stories for each character [Final Fantasy VI, in particular] where you could go to a new town and get a playable flashback, or go to sleep in an inn and then play through a dream sequence, etc. I'm wondering if these towns were supposed to be included in the main narrative and are the hometowns of these characters that have some special significance for them, but we're cut from the game and will be added later via DLC due to time constraints? What the fuck Tabata/Square-Enix?[/I]

I think Deus Ex has the same problem. Many people suspect that devs cut a good chunk of story into the DLCs. The decision was supposedly made by higher up, not the dev team themselves. I hope it won't be a staple for all SE games after MD failed to meet sales expectation.

RAWRferal

I'm loving the combat with the monsters. They seem much more responsive than in games like Xenoblade X where they mostly just stand in place and attack. The monsters push you around, stalk you, it looks fun.

Yeah colour me impressed so far, this looks fantastic.

Thanks for the explanation. I played the boss twice in the platinum demo and I tried different moves, mostly the wrap. I guess the demo was purposefully made easy so the player can't fail and didn't explain all the possible moves that you could do like the ones shown in the video. I have more hope for the combat now.

This is sort of the problem with the game. They went so deep into damage control over it not being "turn based" they utterly failed to convey the fact that combat has actual tools in it. This problem has existed since Duscae, which had a lot of stuff that final game has already, minus, obviously, air combat stuff, but nobody knew.

PSY・S;225304168 said:
balee dat

edit: BELIEVE THAT

verendus era over

xv era over

tabata era over

But if you don't play the game you proactively cede your right to bitch and moan about it post-release. Price of admission! Also, won't take you as many hours to actually play as you've spent discussing it on boards =P

Not trying to single you out either - have seen lots of similar sentiments. But it's like voting. Shouldn't get to complain about politicians if you don't.

Tyaren

Oh, I remembered just now watching the stream:

There is no bestiary in the game, is there? Such a shame with these cool creatures...:/

Just going to chime in and say:

Anyone who thinks the combat is hold O to win needs to play the Judgment Demo.

Night time. When the
Iron Giant
spawns.

Better yet. When there's two.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But if you don't play the game you proactively cede your right to bitch and moan about it post-release. Price of admission! Also, won't take you as many hours to actually play as you've spent discussing it on boards =P

Not trying to single you out either - have seen lots of similar sentiments. But it's like voting. Shouldn't get to complain about politicians if you don't.

You can complain about politicans being crap, especially if you don't want to vote for them on that basis.

And that is the same with games. You can discuss whatever you want really. Its no one elses concern to defend a game as if it was their child

I think Deus Ex has the same problem. Many people suspect that devs cut a good chunk of story into the DLCs. The decision was supposedly made by higher up, not the dev team themselves. I hope it won't be a staple for all SE games after MD failed to meet sales expectation.

*sigh*

I remember the days when RPGs used to have several cities and towns - 2 or 3 large ones, 3 or 4 smaller-sized, average ones and then a handful of small settlements. Do we really have to wait for all of Final Fantasy XV's DLC to experience the full breadth of the game world we've been waiting over 10 years to get?

Gbraga

If we believe the leaks, and there's no reason not to, since they got so little wrong, it's actually kind of the other way around. Because there wasn't a lot on the bros' backstories in the main game, they decided to make a chapter for each of them as DLC. The leak specifically mentions Gladio, and says there's not much about him at all in the main game, so it was the first DLC they decided on.

The exact quote is "Yeah, its coming, but they don't know what yet except one about Gladio since there's almost nothing about him in game. They're more worried about main game now."

There is no bestiary in the game, is there? Such a shame with these cool creatures...:/

Maybe the option pops up after the first hunt? I remember someone mentioning that the patch added the option in the menu.

rjinaz

I thought I read somewhere somebody had said it had one of the best they had seen in a game. Unless that was one of them fake impressions.

Gbraga

They add a database, but i don't see any bestiary, some can validate that ? Get it later Spoiler ?

Oh, ok, so it's the database that they added.

Bummer, it would be really cool.

I thought I read somewhere somebody had said it had one of the best they had seen in a game. Unless that was one of them fake impressions.

They meant it just as "the variety of beasts", not an actual bestiary option in the menu.

You can complain about politicans being crap, especially if you don't want to vote for them on that basis.

And that is the same with games. You can discuss whatever you want really. Its no one elses concern to defend a game as if it was their child

Of course you can discuss whatever you want. But folks who go on and on post-release about games they didn't actually play are tiresome, just as are people who complain about politicians but don't bother learning the issues.

rjinaz

Oh, ok, so it's the database that they added.

Bummer, it would be really cool.

They meant it just as "the variety of beasts", not an actual bestiary option in the menu.

Ahh I see. That could be. I remember them talking about how much monster variety there is.

Though I'm left jealous as hell of anyone that managed an ebay copy, I've come to terms, and I want to thank the mods for starting a clean thread that has actual organized impressions.

Interesting on combat. As aging and feeble I'm partially been tempted to play on easy but just leaning on 1 or 2 buttons is too too dull. Now thinking I'll do normal with wait mode. The announcement of expansion on it in the day 1 patch is encouraging that it's been taken seriously.

I'm about 2 hours in.

Some initial impressions.

1 - Graphics are good. Particularly character models. Environments are whatever. I don't really care about fidelty as much as I do art direction. This one has a weird 60s motif that is kind of cool

2- Music is glorious. Shimomura has highs and lows for me. She can either be amazing or eh. So far so good. I hate her light hearted stuff. Her jazz stuff in this is top notch.

3-Car is weird. It's semi-automated, which caught me off guard but works. The radio is kind of cool but sort of limited. I imagine it will expand as you play?

4- Story... So far there hasn't been much of one, so I can't say. Characters are chill though. Hearing Gideon Emery in an FF is always great though

5- Battle system. I don't like it. I didn't like Duscae's battle system. I don't like it here either. But I'll work with it because everything else is top notch. It beats FFXIII's battle system I guess.

Anyone know how leveling up works. As far as I can tell you get XP and levels... but what is up with the sphere grid expy

Ran rp

Of course you can discuss whatever you want. But folks who go on and on post-release about games they didn't actually play are tiresome, just as are people who complain about politicians but don't bother learning the issues.

i'm done with the game. there's nothing more i have to say about it and i no longer wish to discuss it. i'm free.

i'll still talk about versus, though!

Gbraga

PSY・S;225305326 said:
i'm done with the game. there's nothing more i have to say about it and i no longer wish to discuss it. i'm free.

image.php

I'm about 2 hours in.

Some initial impressions.

1 - Graphics are good. Particularly character models. Environments are whatever. I don't really care about fidelty as much as I do art direction. This one has a weird 60s motif that is kind of cool

2- Music is glorious. Shimomura has highs and lows for me. She can either be amazing or eh. So far so good. I hate her light hearted stuff. Her jazz stuff in this is top notch.

3-Car is weird. It's semi-automated, which caught me off guard but works. The radio is kind of cool but sort of limited. I imagine it will expand as you play?

4- Story... So far there hasn't been much of one, so I can't say. Characters are chill though. Hearing Gideon Emery in an FF is always great though

5- Battle system. I don't like it. I didn't like Duscae's battle system. I don't like it here either. But I'll work with it because everything else is top notch. It beats FFXIII's battle system I guess.

Anyone know how leveling up works. As far as I can tell you get XP and levels... but what is up with the sphere grid expy

You can buy more music for the car at various shops. Not sure if you find it in the world as well.

PSY・S;225305326 said:

End of an era :-(

But that sounds honorable and fair!

PSY・S;225305326 said:

I guarantee you are not done with this game.

I will be starting FFXV tonight, so please let me know if there are any specific questions you'd like me to answer or things you would like me to look into! Note that answers won't be coming for several hours and I can't guarantee I'll get to every question, but I'll cover everything I can.

Keep it to things that can be checked in the early game, of course - no story or character stuff, since I won't be advancing that far into the game for a little while yet. You know, stuff like features/options (like Hasemo asking about the language options, for example) and gameplay questions - that sort of stuff!

All answers will, of course, be spoiler-tagged.

Listonosh

I just want to point out that one person's pile of trash is another's treasure. This especially seems to be the case with Final Fantasy games as it seems like it's hard to find another person that likes the exact same FF games.

Well take Xenoblade for example. Jason from Kotaku doesn't seem to like it at all and it's one of my favorite games of all time. I mention him specifically because Xenoblade got mostly universal praise from everybody else. Had I gone just off his impressions/review, I may never have played it.

So just keep that in mind that just because one or two people say they didn't like it, doesn't mean you won't. That works both ways of course, they may like it and you may hate it.

Amen. Xenoblade was probably one of my favorite games last year as well.

Tyaren

I watched some streams, but im done watching til I play next week. This is not the game I wanted. Maybe it will get better.

May I ask what exactly it is that you wanted/thought it would be and that it didn't live up to? Please without any story spoilers, just in general. :)

Socivol

I'm going to be so pissed off if in the DLC for Prompto, Gladiolus and Ignis [and possibly Luna] that each one has a city or town added to the game as a part of it. I'm kind of getting that sneaking suspicion, that this is why they needed more time to work on the DLC's - because they were originally supposed to be a part of the main game, but they ran out of time to finish them and add them in. For example, they mention that in Prompto's DLC, there will be a snowmobile - implying there's a snowy area and probably a town also. Some of the past games in the saga have had entire side stories for each character [Final Fantasy VI, in particular] where you could go to a new town and get a playable flashback, or go to sleep in an inn and then play through a dream sequence, etc. I'm wondering if these towns were supposed to be included in the main narrative and are the hometowns of these characters that have some special significance for them, but we're cut from the game and will be added later via DLC due to time constraints? What the fuck Tabata/Square-Enix??

PsychoNinja in the spoiler topic (who worked on the game in some capacity) confirmed this is absolutely not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom