• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any MGSV fan is complaining about 5 min car travel time, then it is hilarious to me consideing how the helicopter ride was far far worse without any proper context.

The car rides aren't usually boring because we can listen to the classic FF music while the bros can also talk among themselves. If there is any issue with long car rides, there is always fast travel.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ugh bummed to hear about messy plot. I was most looking forward to that.

I'm under the impression (no story spoiler, maybe structure only based on impressions)
there's little story at the first half, then the bulk of the story comes in the latter half and the story is pretty good.

azizhud

If any MGSV fan is complaining about 5 min car travel time, then it is hilarious to me consideing how the helicopter ride was far far worse without any proper context.

The car rides aren't usually boring because we can listen to the classic FF music while the bros can also talk among themselves. If there is any issue with long car rides, there is always fast travel.

I hated the "open world" in MGSV as well :)

Is this actually 5 minute rides or "seemingly long rides + hyperbole."

Cause Judgment Demo had rides that were what, min or so max to the furthest area? Surely the maps not so big that the rides are 5 minutes long.

Seems to be a problem with open world Japanese game design as of late. Lots of open world space with barely anything interesting to do in it. The brilliant minds over at Nintendo seem to know this, and are killing it with Zelda BOTW,

we-played-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-four-times-and-still-didnt-see-it-all-146643902961.gif

tumblr_o8tmw7fvJY1qa7ubto1_500.gif

Ku51Gdq.gif

tumblr_o8sw4oWUOn1qaywrho1_540.gif

I hated the "open world" in MGSV as well :)
I can understand. My post wasn't directed at you btw.

I do agree about the action and jump button being same. There have been times when i wanted pick something up or talk to someone and i ended up jumping. It is annoying.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I played the game for around 12h. Reached Level 22 for my characters.

- I like the battle system. Its dynamic, quick and fun. The combo of different weapons can make great combos.
- Main Quest is good until now. Haven't played a lot of it though since I'm focusing on mob hunts and side quests.
- Boss fights are great.

Dislikes:
- The open world is terrible. Huge and mostly barren. Its boring as hell.
- Side quests are 90% boring fetch quests (literally go to way point find a gold colored small orb and return it. Rinse and repeat) and 10% actual good quests. Also, you have to return said items to quest givers :( I though JRPGs fixed that shit already like Xenoblade Chronicles X and SMT4A. (Nitpick)
- Traveling by Car or even Chocobo is pretty boring and time consuming. I mostly play Pokemon whenever I travel by car since it can take more than 5 minutes sometimes.
- Magic is shit. I like the effect and its actual use but the fact that I have to go into a menu everytime to "craft" magic gets annoying.
- I will never understand them assigning X as the jump button AND the action button. Whenever I try to open a door or pick up an item I end up jumping. Its a nitpick but pretty annoying after 10h of gameplay lol.
- You can't fast forwarded time. If you go to an inn or camp you always wake up in the morning (from what I can tell since the Time menu is confusing as fuck). So you'll have to wait for mob hunts that are required to do in the night.
- THE FUCKING DEFAULT SPEED at Caves and dungeons is slow as hell!!!! You have to actually always press the sprint to run and wait between stamina refreshes. Ugh.

These are my impressions so far. Overall not enjoying my time as much as I'd like. I guess since I'm focusing on Side quests. I'll probably focus on the main now and skip the rest. Not worth my time tbh. Main quest overall seems pretty good.
This is a big thing that I feel only more people will get vocal about as time goes on. I expect the actual driving controls will be too restrictive to be any fun, and that either the conversations between party members will either dry up, or fail to consistently make up for the time you're spending not actively engaging in gameplay.

JBwB

I'm very interested in how this game will review. There isn't any real consensus yet but going by these impressions my guess is still around a 85 - 89 meta score.

Is this actually 5 minute rides or "seemingly long rides + hyperbole."

Cause Judgment Demo had rides that were what, min or so max to the furthest area? Surely the maps not so big that the rides are 5 minutes long.

I can certainly see a drive being that long if you were to drive from Leide to Cleigne.

azizhud

Fast travle is available right from the start. We can fast travel to any of the checkpoints on map or we can fast travel back to the last rest point, which could be our camp. Lastly we can also fast travel back to where we leave our car. So there are a lot of options here which makes less reason to complain.

You can't fast travel to side quest locations. Which is where my compaints actually stems from. And sometimes the fastforward icon (fast travel) doesn't appear in previously visited locations.

You can't fast travel to side quest locations. Which is where my compaints actually stems from. And sometimes the fastforward icon (fast travel) doesn't appear in previously visited locations.
I know you hate the open world hence hating going to side quest locations but it will also cheapen the game if we fast travel anywhere, lol.

Going to side quests is half the experience imo.

I know you hate the open world hence hating going to side quest locations but it will also cheapen the game if we fast travel anywhere, lol.

Going to side quests is half the experience imo.

I'm fast traveling a lot. I'm still taking my time exploring, but once I have discovered everything in a certain area, it's just a waste of time to be constantly driving.

Just wanted to confirm the camera inside dungeons is better now. From what I can see, previously, the camera used to get stuck within the walls and loses all focus on Noctis. This issue has been rectified to some extent as the camera is now much more focused on Noctis and if there is a wall betwen, it resets focus on Noctis so we are still getting a clear view of the combat. There is still room for improvement but it is definitely better than what we have seen so far.

Lucent

Seems to be a problem with open world Japanese game design as of late. Lots of open world space with barely anything interesting to do in it. The brilliant minds over at Nintendo seem to know this, and are killing it with Zelda BOTW,

we-played-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-four-times-and-still-didnt-see-it-all-146643902961.gif

tumblr_o8tmw7fvJY1qa7ubto1_500.gif

Ku51Gdq.gif

tumblr_o8sw4oWUOn1qaywrho1_540.gif

Yeah somehow they seem to have the idea that open world is automatically a big plus no matter what. But open world's bore me if there's nothing to see or do. Some of these impressions make me sad since the game has been in development hell for 10 years. Gonna be pretty annoyed if they put all this effort into making pretty and detailed cities and food and all these monsters but suffers in the parts that are supposed to make an FF game good.

And, yeah, Breath of the Wild looks like it'll be great.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No idea about opening credits as I am only watching the streams. But as for the FF main theme
it comes together with the final post-credit cutscene and works really well contextually

oh my god i will cry

Just based on some of the impressions I’ve been reading - the review thread is going to be an absolute ban-hammer, meltdown-fest. I'm not one of those people that likes to see things like that happen; but I'm actually dreading stepping foot in there...

Seems to be a problem with open world Japanese game design as of late. Lots of open world space with barely anything interesting to do in it. The brilliant minds over at Nintendo seem to know this, and are killing it with Zelda BOTW

So far yes. We probably should not compare a complete game to an incomplete one though. For all we know, the density of the area activities drops in some areas and not others leading to inconsistency. We should hold off the praise until it's out. But I do agree that so far, the Great Plateau is a magnificent introduction to the game.

So I played the game for around 12h. Reached Level 22 for my characters.

- I like the battle system. Its dynamic, quick and fun. The combo of different weapons can make great combos.
- Main Quest is good until now. Haven't played a lot of it though since I'm focusing on mob hunts and side quests.
- Boss fights are great.

Dislikes:
- The open world is terrible. Huge and mostly barren. Its boring as hell.
- Side quests are 90% boring fetch quests (literally go to way point find a gold colored small orb and return it. Rinse and repeat) and 10% actual good quests. Also, you have to return said items to quest givers :( I though JRPGs fixed that shit already like Xenoblade Chronicles X and SMT4A. (Nitpick)
- Traveling by Car or even Chocobo is pretty boring and time consuming. I mostly play Pokemon whenever I travel by car since it can take more than 5 minutes sometimes.
- Magic is shit. I like the effect and its actual use but the fact that I have to go into a menu everytime to "craft" magic gets annoying.
- I will never understand them assigning X as the jump button AND the action button. Whenever I try to open a door or pick up an item I end up jumping. Its a nitpick but pretty annoying after 10h of gameplay lol.
- You can't fast forwarded time. If you go to an inn or camp you always wake up in the morning (from what I can tell since the Time menu is confusing as fuck). So you'll have to wait for mob hunts that are required to do in the night.
- THE FUCKING DEFAULT SPEED at Caves and dungeons is slow as hell!!!! You have to actually always press the sprint to run and wait between stamina refreshes. Ugh.

These are my impressions so far. Overall not enjoying my time as much as I'd like. I guess since I'm focusing on Side quests. I'll probably focus on the main now and skip the rest. Not worth my time tbh. Main quest overall seems pretty good.

Hmm these impressions are quite worrying. Whilst maybe nothing too major, it's issues and problems like those that can absolutely kill a games enjoyment and quality. Making it hard to find and like the good bits. A tedious open world with tedious side missions are not good.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

I just wish they weren't equally adamant about reducing the cutscenes and making it so much "environmental storytelling" again. I mean, I get it, Zelda isn't played for its plot, but flawed as Skyward Sword is, I like that it was trying a little bit more.

Breath of the Wild will likely be a great, great game, but I know how I am. I'll want somewhat more story and the open world is going to almost assure I get less than usual. <_>;

Swuabino

First impressions after ~10h, currently halfway through Chapter 2:

-If you're already a FF fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Very, very happy with the game so far.
-Really captures that FF je ne sais quoi. There's a sense of adventure and discovery that you just don't get with other series. 10 hours in and I still feel like there are places and creatures and secrets and characters and entire gameplay elements to uncover for the next 60-100. I keep seeing ominous structures on the horizon and I can't wait to find out what they hide.
-Open world feels just right. Lots of interesting and unique sites, monsters to fight, treasures to collect, etc. Not quite as rich as Witcher 3's open world, but way more interesting and varied than MGSV's vacuous expanses. For anyone worried about size, I have yet to leave the first area and have probably only seen 50% of it.
-Character progression feels fairly rewarding. Between Ascension, Skills, and Gear upgrades, it feels like a pretty solid reward loop so far.
-Music is great so far, really enjoying the new tracks. Also, there's no denying the nostalgia of driving around the world map listening to old FF soundtracks.
-As others have noted, combat is still a hot mess. It's definitely been improved since the Duscae demo, but the camera and obtuse combo system can make it difficult to tell what's going on. Like most FFs, over-leveling tends to save the day.
-I'm also not completely sold on the magic system. It's early, but I'm still trying to figure out the right balance for spell potency while budgeting my resources. Some of the spells I've created definitely feel Too Awesome to Use, so I've generally refrained from magic in fights.
-Story seems fine so far, but I've been primarily focusing on side content and exploring everything. Tough to say right now. The few cutscenes and story sequences I've encountered have been pretty good. Cringe levels are generally lower than FFXIII.
-Inner-party banter is way better than I expected.

DR2K

Banned
They really should have cancelled verses 13 and started fresh with 15. Plot sounds disjointed, gameplay sounds basic, quests don't seem very diverse, the open world doesn't really pan out, exploration isn't very fun and is limited, visuals go from great to shit, and HD towns are still hard.

How does a polish team of relative newcomers make something like the Witcher 3, but industry veterans are struggling with their mainline series? I would pay good money to watch a documentary on Versus 13 to XV development.

They really should have cancelled verses 13 and started fresh with 15. Plot sounds disjointed, gameplay sounds basic, quests don't seem very diverse, the open world doesn't really pan out, exploration isn't very fun and is limited, visuals go from great to shit, and HD towns are still hard.

How does a polish team of relative newcomers make something like the Witcher 3, but industry veterans are struggling with their mainline series? I would pay good money to watch a documentary on Versus 13 to XV development.

PS4 to PS4, I prefer the art of TW3 but FFXV looks better then it. It animates a crap ton better too.

The rest I can't say anything on since I haven't played the game :p

First impressions after ~10h, currently halfway through Chapter 2:

-If you're already a FF fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Very, very happy with the game so far.
-Really captures that FF je ne sais quoi. There's a sense of adventure and discovery that you just don't get with other series. 10 hours in and I still feel like there are places and creatures and secrets and characters and entire gameplay elements to uncover for the next 60-100. I keep seeing ominous structures on the horizon and I can't wait to find out what they hide.
-Open world feels just right. Lots of interesting and unique sites, monsters to fight, treasures to collect, etc. Not quite as rich as Witcher 3's open world, but way more interesting and varied than MGSV's vacuous expanses. For anyone worried about size, I have yet to leave the first area and have probably only seen 50% of it.
-Character progression feels fairly rewarding. Between Ascension, Skills, and Gear upgrades, it feels like a pretty solid reward loop so far.
-Music is great so far, really enjoying the new tracks. Also, there's no denying the nostalgia of driving around the world map listening to old FF soundtracks.
-As others have noted, combat is still a hot mess. It's definitely been improved since the Duscae demo, but the camera and obtuse combo system can make it difficult to tell what's going on. Like most FFs, over-leveling tends to save the day.
-I'm also not completely sold on the magic system. It's early, but I'm still trying to figure out the right balance for spell potency while budgeting my resources. Some of the spells I've created definitely feel Too Awesome to Use, so I've generally refrained from magic in fights.
-Story seems fine so far, but I've been primarily focusing on side content and exploring everything. Tough to say right now. The few cutscenes and story sequences I've encountered have been pretty good. Cringe levels are generally lower than FFXIII.
-Inner-party banter is way better than I expected.

Sounds good! Your impression just increased my hype! lol!

Please give us an update on variety of places we explore! Thanks!

takriel

Seems like this game has a lot of quality of life problems. This should not happen in 2016. Alas, most games are still plagued by such ill decisions. This is not on FFXV alone.

Nya

Okay, I just finished the game and since the game is till fresh in my mind I thought I'd come here to share my thoughts about it. Let me start off by saying that I LOVE the game, to me its a flawed game but a very lovable one due to the amazing cast. (seriously, the bros are awesome give them a chance)

Let me start off by saying that I am extremely disappointed at how the story was short. I know they've said the main story would take about 40 - 50 hours but I can tell you that its bullshit, I finsihed the entire game after doing some hunts/side quests and some exploration in 35 - 40 hours. I found myself always wanting more and feeling there is little to no story at all, yes I know they've said they were aiming for a simple story, but a sense of purpose or even a slight direct plot would have helped with this issue. This actually brings me to the next problem in the story, how it was presented/directed. Through chapters 1 - 8 you can tell that there is always something off with the cutscenes, they feel a bit disjointed and weird, and some feels like its there to fill in space. You can tell that they had to rewrite and to repurpose some of the scenes, and unfortunatetly you can also tell the troubled development it went through.

However, the main cast made up greatly for that, I just LOVE how they developed and how deep their growth was. I came to this game only caring about Prompto but soon after I started to care about the rest as well, I started looking at them as a bunch of really good friends that anyone would be lucky to have. The characters and their moments together are what kept me enganged and entertained for the entire game. I wish that attention to the main cast was extended a bit to the supporting ones cause man they had potential! I thought they did a great job with
Iris
but I wanted to see more of
Cor, Aranea, and Gentania
, it was sad that they were pretty much ignored right after their quests were over.

I am also sad to see that locations are not as varied as I hoped they would, it isn't that much of a big deal to me but the whole
Tenebrae
not even being explorable is such a shame. I was very disappointed that we never get to see anything new outside of what we have already seen. Shame :(

I liked the dungeons though, they are just awesome (mainly cause the party are actually aware of them and comment on them accordingly), I love how varied these dungeons are and the interesting monsters you get to fight inside. I also like the combat A LOT, once I got used to the gameplay and I unlocked a lot of its features, I was able to fully realize the potential of it. It was smooth, responsive, and innutitive, definitely one of the high-lights of the game.

Despite the rocky beginning in the story, the game did have a great ending that will forever be engraved in my mind. I love everything about the finale and how well it was directed, I just wish the first half of the game had that level attention to it. It would've turned out to be a flawless game and possibly even be the best I've ever played had they just not rewritten a lot of its scenes.

Well that's the end of my impression, feel free to ask me anything you want about the game.

Strakt

Okay, I just finished the game and since the game is till fresh in my mind I thought I'd come here to share my thoughts about it. Let me start off by saying that I LOVE the game, to me its a flawed game but a very lovable one due to the amazing cast. (seriously, the bros are awesome give them a chance)

Let me start off by saying that I am extremely disappointed at how the story was short. I know they've said the main story would take about 40 - 50 hours but I can tell you that its bullshit, I finsihed the entire game after doing some hunts/side quests and some exploration in 35 - 40 hours. I found myself always wanting more and feeling there is little to no story at all, yes I know they've said they were aiming for a simple story, but a sense of purpose or even a slight direct plot would have helped with this issue. This actually brings me to the next problem in the story, how it was presented/directed. Through chapters 1 - 8 you can tell that there is always something off with the cutscenes, they feel a bit disjointed and weird, and some feels like its there to fill in space. You can tell that they had to rewrite and to repurpose some of the scenes, and unfortunatetly you can also tell the troubled development it went through.

However, the main cast made up greatly for that, I just LOVE how they developed and how deep their growth was. I came to this game only caring about Prompto but soon after I started to care about the rest as well, I started looking at them as a bunch of really good friends that anyone would be lucky to have. The characters and their moments together are what kept me enganged and entertained for the entire game. I wish that attention to the main cast was extended a bit to the supporting ones cause man they had potential! I thought they did a great job with
Iris
, it was sad that they were pretty much ignored right after their quests were over.

I am also sad to see that locations are not as varied as I hoped they would, it isn't that much of a big deal to me but the whole
Tenebrae
not even being explorable is such a shame. I was very disappointed that we never get to see anything new outside of what we have already seen. Shame :(

I liked the dungeons though, they are just awesome (mainly cause the party are actually aware of them and comment on them accordingly), I love how varied these dungeons are and the interesting monsters you get to fight inside. I also like the combat A LOT, once I got used to the gameplay and I unlocked a lot of its features, I was able to fully realize the potential of it. It was smooth, responsive, and innutitive, definitely one of the high-lights of the game.

Despite the rocky beginning in the story, the game did have a great ending that will forever be engraved in my mind. I love everything about the finale and how well it was directed, I just wish the first half of the game had that level attention to it. It would've turned out to be a flawless game and possibly even be the best I've ever played had they just not rewritten a lot of its scenes.

Well that's the end of my impression, feel free to ask me anything you want about the game.

What would you rate it out of 10?

Aters

You can ask a more general question: why JP developers seem to lose the steam (mainstream competitiveness) after HD era? Reasons I can think of:

1. XBOX brought in a lot of new audience to the console market which, before that point, was dominated by Japanese games. Targeting towards this audience resulted in some truly hideous design decisions in Japanese games. This is a plague that is still haunting us. RE: Umbrella Corps is the latest offender. Remember the CoD quote from Torriyama? I won't say FFXIII was directly influenced by CoD, but the "experience" game design philosophy clearly affected FFXIII's development. Now SE look into western open-world games but don't want to lose their own identity. It will take some trail and error before they find out what works and what doesn't. MGSV's open-world design is a failure, so is XBX's. If these games have sequel (I doubt it), I believe things will turn out much better.

2. Japanese developers were unfamiliar with PC game development. In a generation that consoles are more and more close to a PC and 3rd party engines are so prevalent, western developers who have been always working on PC games have an technical advantage. Most western 3rd party games run better on X360 (closer to PC) than on PS3 (a mess), yet FFXIII runs much better on PS3 despite the fact that PS3 is a development nightmare. You say CDPR is a new comer, but they've been a competent PC game developer for a long time. SE, on the other hand, haven't showed the same degree of competence in PC game development at all, and PS4 and XBOX1 are very close to PC architecture. In fact, SE is the new comer here.

The problem is not exclusive to FFXV, but other JRPGs simply choose to turn away and embrace their own niche. Looking at Tales games or Persona, you can see they are still glorified PS2 games. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, mind you, devs focusing on what they do best usually bring us the best product. But we all know these games will never achieve the degree of mainstream relevance SE is looking for.

iavi

So this game suffers the same empty open world, storyless bullshit MGSV suffered.

So this is how my favorite series go out

Balls

Banned

Iris

Tenebrae

I knew the bros wouldn't let me down. ALL ABOARD THE BRO TRAIN!! CHOO CHOO!!

Ruff

Someone who has played please answer this: Is the red desert looking place with the sandstorm shown during the TGS 2014 (I Think) trailer still in the game?

Damn i was mad excited for Nov. 29th release but reading impressions by some of the folks gms a hot mess..and i kinna see where these ppl coming from with legit issues that are unavoidable in this gm.

After 27 hours in I'm gonna say these two things for anyone who wants to start the game. first, Try to watch Anime and Kingsglaive. Second, try not to do a lot of side stuff in early game.

So far it's a solid 8 out of 10 game for me. For comparison FF XIII is a 4 out of 10 game for me. I have a lot of issues with game but the good news is the overall experience is decent. Sum of its parts is way better than individual parts. Tabata has managed to make a game SE and franchise needed. A Final Fantasy that both (majority of) fans and new comers will like.

combat is not just holding O but you can fight anything with holding O, some phases and strike-warping if you're playing on easy and rushing story missions. This is why I think game needs a hard difficulty for fans like me. IMO normal isn't enough. I didn't finish The Witcher 3 because after 40 hours mark I didn't see any challenges even on death march. But I can play Dark Souls or Bayonetta again and again and again. It's not a Witcher 3 situation again because at least boss fights and some hunts are quite hard (sometimes in a frustrating way) but for a game which wastes a lot of time in car drives and camps and stuff ( this is the reason I say don't overdo side stuff early on), winning most battles without real challenge decreases the experience for someone like me. But if the game was a bit more challenging in normal fights, You had to pay more attention to managing your stuff to craft spells, spending AP in Ascension and using the best weapon against an enemy according to result of wait mode, etc. I don't want to worry anyone though. I still prefer the deep, turn based FF XIII combat but FF XV has a great combat for a real time FF.

I'm not gonna comment on story until Thursday or Friday when I finish the game. Because ... I feel I haven't seen enough of it. However, surprising to me, I'm actually liking characters. A lot.

So far, Final Fantasy XV is definitely in my TOP10 2016 games list.

Oh boy is the review thread gonna go into meltdown,reading into some of these impressions I'm not so confident in it reviewing well across the board,guess we will see very soon

bigmac996

Fucking hell I got spoiled. This is what I get for venturing outside of GAF. I hope the story has several twists to make up for it :/

I feel you man, someone pm'd me on reddit with the spoiler. I had no way of knowing beforehand, just signed into reddit, saw a new message and clicked. Saw only the first few words but it was enough.

You're not alone man. People that intentionally spoil others' experiences are the worst, can't fathom what goes through their minds.

Nonetheless, it feels good to read some positive impressions of the game. Only wish I could erase the spoilers from my memory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom