• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is second fastest selling FF game in the UK [Up: Week 2 down 75%]

Nice idea, though your use of percentages is not correct. 25% digital means that 75% is physical, and hence digital has the size of a third of physical. In that case:

Week 1 yields 163k
Week 2 yield 41k
FFXV then has 204k after two weeks.

(Your analysis would have been correct for a 20% digital world).

Also, FFXIII is 170k-180k, so it could be a closer race still.

Oh sorry, but actually, maybe 20% is better suited for UK.

Fuck, so what does this mean for ff going forward if things dont pick up?

For the UK these are relatively stable numbers. Not a massive boost but it's in-line with the series so far. NA is going to be the real test. Plus future updates down the road and the PC version will be there later in the long term.

Honestly though I've been saying for a long time that FFXV is pretty much a "regain the footing" gambit and it'll be FFVII remake where shit will get serious.

This is really irrelevant in this thread since FF XV is doing better than FF XII which didn't suffer from these facts you listed. What you said is more relevant to the media create sales where FF XV is way down.

Just a quick note: Final Fantasy 12 came out in the EU after the PS3 was out and in the US like a month and a bit before (and well after the 360). That game was fucked from minute one in that regard. It's mad to think FF12 launched in the EU a matter of months before Mass Effect launched and in NA like six months AFTER Oblivion shook the console RPG world, but there it is.

FF12 (and 9 likewise) is a massive outlier. FF15 should be compared to 7, 10, 13; the other first-in-gen appearances, basically, not those weird outlier games that launched as a gen was in its death throes or after it was already over.

That said, this performance is okay. It's decent. It's going to fall behind FF13, but not by nearly as much as many (and I'm sure SE) feared, so that's a win. Japan is clearly lost. The remaining test really remains NA and the emerging markets like China.

Just a quick note: Final Fantasy 12 came out in the EU after the PS3 was out and in the US like a month and a bit before (and well after the 360). That game was fucked from minute one in that regard. It's mad to think FF12 launched in the EU a matter of months before Mass Effect launched and in NA like six months AFTER Oblivion shook the console RPG world, but there it is.

FF12 (and 9 likewise) is a massive outlier. FF15 should be compared to 7, 10, 13; the other first-in-gen appearances, basically, not those weird outlier games that launched as a gen was in its death throes or after it was already over.

That said, this performance is okay. It's decent. It's going to fall behind FF13, but not by nearly as much as many (and I'm sure SE) feared, so that's a win. Japan is clearly lost. The remaining test really remains NA and the emerging markets like China.

Didn't know about FF XII, thanks for the info! And I agree, SE is happy with their shipped numbers so I think it's already a win for them. And FF XV released is many more markets this times around, I still can't believe FF XV got brazilian portuguese subtitles and was officially released here in Brazil.

They won't and you know it. People are cynical.
Always the same poster repeat this narrative. It is getting annoying.

People should just learn to ignore them because it derails the thread.

People are quick to ignore the fact that FFXIII launched without any digital release, and the market has expanded considerably since then.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nothing. Some people just can't get over their hatred of XIII

Yeah, a game that did so badly it got two (asset-recycling) sequels!

Current business model appears to be a minimum of 1 year's worth of DLC and patches with no doubt a "complete" edition -most likely on PC also- at the end of that time.

So, plenty more revenue to come.

UK is a small market for the series anyway. What matters more is JP and NA.
It is way down in JP and the reception isn't exactly glowing there so I wouldn't get my hopes up there.

But US is a different story where even the digital sales are very strong for the game.

It only had two days of tracking digital sales (including all pre-orders) yet it came at number 3 for the whole November. Pretty impressive!

CzemA2qWQAAMK75.jpg

Asia/China should also provide a good result for it.

Square2015

I did the math. If the ratios are the same between FFXIII and FFXV as they are in the UK (235k = 1,322k NPD first month for XIII) then US numbers might look like:

FFXV:
W1 ~705k
W2 ~175k

FFXIII:
W1 ~985k
W2 ~197k

Physical only

I did the math. If the ratios are the same between FFXIII and FFXV as they are in the UK then US numbers might look like (235k = 1,322k NPD first month for XIII):

FFXV:
W1 ~705k
W2 ~175k

FFXIII:
W1 ~985k
W2 ~197k

Physical only

Using the 25% digital ratio (won't be using the 30% one because I don't know if it really is a confirmed number):

W1 ~880K
W1 ~218k

FFXV will be doing very good to exceed 1 million in NPD debut (though iirc December will include November sales so it should).

UC4 - 985k
Halo 5 - 950k
Witcher 3 - 700k

rhandino

Banned
This is really irrelevant in this thread since FF XV is doing better than FF XII which didn't suffer from these facts you listed. What you said is more relevant to the media create sales where FF XV is way down.
???

He said that XIII hurt the brand, I said that it was not that simple and listed a bunch of things that worked together to "hurt the brand".

And what does Final Fantasy XII had to do with this? =/

Third week sales will be interesting, if the bottom falls out then I reckon the pc version will get more resources and get fastracked for a release sooner rather then later. It's pretty clear the Xbox ff sales collapse has to be plugged with a plc version.

Zedark

Third week sales will be interesting, if the bottom falls out then I reckon the pc version will get more resources and get fastracked for a release sooner rather then later. It's pretty clear the Xbox ff sales collapse has to be plugged with a plc version.

Or a Switch version :)

PC version won't ever get released until they patch out the issues and get done with their long term goals and DLC. Early 2018 seems about right for the PC version.

I did the math. If the ratios are the same between FFXIII and FFXV as they are in the UK (235k = 1,322k NPD first month for XIII) then US numbers might look like:

FFXV:
W1 ~705k
W2 ~175k

FFXIII:
W1 ~985k
W2 ~197k

Physical only
I think FFXV will do really well digitally in US, and it sure looks like it.

As for retail sales, they should be good too. Even if we go by your hypothetical numbers, they look pretty good to me and closer to a big WRPG like Witcher 3.

Goron2000

best junior ever
I don't understand why people are surprised it didn't outsell ffXIII. XIII had the biggest marketing campaign I had ever seen for a game in the UK and it came out on the back of the amazing track record of every game previous. XII was a stumble but not in any way bad and it came out late in the PS2 gen so it was easy to forgive, but XIII destroyed the reputation of the series. XIII sold on hype and I think that was very damaging for the series because more people were exposed to it.

XV had so much to prove and I'm surprised it sold as much as it did. I'm enjoying it a lot and I hope this gives squeenix enough footing to get back on track.

Top Bottom