• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is second fastest selling FF game in the UK [Up: Week 2 down 75%]

kromeo

I've said it before, people are too obsessed with XIII

The game is clearly selling well enough for the series to continue on console, that's all I care about

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't know if I was just really young or a different type of gamer back then, but I can't understand how XIII substantially outsold XV.
When FF13 came out, Final Fantasy was one of the industry's biggest IPs and had just come off a six game, decade long streak of 90-95 rated GOTY-candidate super hits.

Final Fantasy XV is an 84 rated medium sized hit (even though the shipment size is about the same, the industry has grown tremendously) following up a questionably received game released six years ago, with the last hugely acclaimed singleplayer game coming out a decade before its release in the PS2 era.

gtj1092

Since when did the criteria for a game being successful become that it has to outsell the previous game first week? It will sell 6 million plus copies like ever FF since 7.

hussmk

Neo Member
I think y'all also need to take into consideration the massive declines across the board from all the sequels released over the past few months. FFXV has suffered a softer entry-to-entry decline than more acclaimed sequels (such as Dishonored 2) and AAA open-world games with more Western appeal (such as Watch Dogs 2), not to mention that this is the highest debut for a SE title (Japanese division or Western) in quite a long time, possibly since Tomb Raider reboot (correct me if wrong).

Those observations don't change the fact that there is a decline in sales, but, to be honest, given the state of things this last quarter, it could have gone a lot worse for SE and the game.

Now we observe the legs.

AHA-Lambda

It is getting embarassing.

It is a great game, lets stop cursing it, please?

Curse it? And no one even mentioned the game's quality. Jesus if people need to calm down here it ain't those people =/

At no point have I said the game is a bomb or anything, but not outdoing 13's launch certainly ain't a great sign, especially given how both the industry and the new gen install bases have grown in 6+ years.

Zedark

It's probably a 95/5 split in Japan lmao

That's incredibly generous towards the Xbox One. I see it being skewed even further towards ps4. Remember that xbox sold only 55k consoles. Assuming it sells like 750, xbox would need to sell this game to more than half its install base to achieve even a 5 percent share.

Mik317

Curse it? And no one even mentioned the game's quality. Jesus if people need to calm down here it ain't those people =/

At no point have I said the game is a bomb or anything, but not outdoing 13's launch certainly ain't a great sign, especially given how both the industry and the new gen install bases have grown in 6+ years.
You continue to ignore the fact that the series was in a much better place prior to xiii too.... including the thirst for any GS jrpg at the time.

Nameless

Where were the consoles 4-5 years in last gen vs 3 this one? Kinda makes a difference.

With digital, and the fact that tons of people will be buying systems and games over the next few weeks I think it's safe to say XV's first month will be considerably stronger.

130k + 30% digital is 169k

125k + 18% digital is 149k

That is not a huge drop off from FFXIII which is "around" 170k but of course we don't know the real numbers. UK is one of leading countries to adopt digital. I doubt it stops short of console games. 115k plus 15% digital is decent enough.

AHA-Lambda

You continue to ignore the fact that the series was in a much better place prior to xiii too.... including the thirst for any GS jrpg at the time.

well not really, as I said on previous page

Well if I was SE I'd be asking myself why hype was lower for a game that took 10 years to make and is the first mainline FF game in 6 years and for a new generation of consoles.
To me not outdoing a game from 6 years ago on a bigger(?) install base ain't praiseworthy

Not outselling 13 cos the franchise is in a worse place now ain't the sort of news SE will want to hear nor accept

Another thing is this is first week December/last day of Nov.

FFXIII was March under much more hype. XV has done well after Black Friday which has just become a thing and had a lot of spending happen. I suppose being near Christmas makes it a wash but after Oct/Nov heavy hitters and Black Friday spending and games in general being cheap shortly after launch this is really good numbers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This.

I'm pretty happy with the sales.
It could have been a lot worse comparing it to other games with bad predecessors.

Look at Watch Dogs to Watch Dogs 2.
That one is actually kind of an interesting comparison point since the game started down 80% from Watch Dogs 1, but week 2 was bigger than week 1, putting its total at at least 161K if not higher.

If FF15 follows the usual trend for FF games, its two week total might be lower, and could be one of the closer races of the season.

Boke1879

The legs on this game will be interesting, but it's already sold enough that I'm sure all involved are pleased.

Only gonna sell more from here on out.

killatopak

congrats!

Selling worse than XIII isn't good news.

Wait. Isn't this just the first few weeks? This is tremendously good news for square.

FFXIII was coming off of years of absence after XII and the hype was off the charts. This is before people started hating on it.

XV being a sequel to a not so stellar prequel *according to most people but not me* made the hype not as big as XIII.

Reorx

lets hope the game has longer legs than XIII.
However the real monster will be japan sales number. I can easily see a 60% drop from XIII. Maybe the other asian markets can help to close the gap.

what? because people want to look at the numbers? this happens with every big game, noones persecuting FF15.

Yeah but for months now, whether it be with reviews, previews or sales predictions, people have been doing their best to downplay any positives thing game is bringing. It's really odd.

Every single positive article about FFXV is met with a large amount of people spinning their "Yes, but..." narrative. It's honestly boring. It's fine to be sceptical but c'mon now.

AHA-Lambda

Do you want me to say US market is also falling apart or what

I'd say it's more accurate that there is a possible AAA contraction, rather than this being the fault of the UK alone.

Yeah but for months now, whether it be with reviews, previews or sales predictions, people have been doing their best to downplay any positives thing game is bringing. It's really odd.

Every single positive article about FFXV is met with a large amount of people spinning their "Yes, but..." narrative. It's honestly boring. It's fine to be sceptical but c'mon now.

Personally speaking, I really couldn't care less about FF as a series, I just find analysing the sales performance of major industry titles interesting. So no I have no chip on my shoulder about FF15 :p

I was saying in the weeks up until launch that I felt the sales for this would be really interesting, as I was not convinced that this game wouldn't sell beyond the core FF fan.

That will be good but Japan holds a strong part of FFXIII sales which FFXV won't have.

I think Southeast Asia and China will easily make up for the sales loss of the Japan market.

The real question is whether or not everywhere else in the world will demonstrate legs and growth for it to do closer to their dream number.

Very different market today vs back then. Based on the numbers and what we know, some of those 360 folks have migrated to PS4. Also, the X1 player base is pretty different than it use to be. Case in point, Halo and Gears.

That's not the case in point I would use...both of those IP were on Xbox 360 and they have been pushed less this gen than they were last gen...

130k + 30% digital is 169k

125k + 18% digital is 149k

That is not a huge drop off from FFXIII which is "around" 170k but of course we don't know the real numbers. UK is one of leading countries to adopt digital. I doubt it stops short of console games. 115k plus 15% digital is decent enough.

Is there any evidence to suggest that £54.99 single player games in the UK are bought in relatively higher numbers digitally in the UK? I find it hard to believe that even 15% of FFXV copies were sold digitally here, it's not exactly Destiny or Overwatch now is it?

Not outselling 13 cos the franchise is in a worse place now ain't the sort of news SE will want to hear nor accept

You think after the huge declines with FF13-2, LR, and spinoff titles making almost no noise that SE isn't acutely aware that the brand perception has fallen dramatically since FF13 released?

I think they will breathe a sigh of relief if lifetime sales of F15 are comparable to 13.

Vexii

When FF13 came out, Final Fantasy was one of the industry's biggest IPs and had just come off a six game, decade long streak of 90-95 rated GOTY-candidate super hits.

Final Fantasy XV is an 84 rated medium sized hit (even though the shipment size is about the same, the industry has grown tremendously) following up a questionably received game released six years ago, with the last hugely acclaimed singleplayer game coming out a decade before its release in the PS2 era.

This is a fantastic explanation, and I'm really grateful for the clarification. Please excuse my ignorance.

FFXV being below FF13 even with digital is hardly worrying without more info, as legs are the reason why FF13 went from best opener of the series to a spiralling decline.

That's not the case in point I would use...both of those IP were on Xbox 360 and they have been pushed less this gen than they were last gen...

Is there any evidence to suggest that £54.99 single player games in the UK are bought in relatively higher numbers digitally in the UK? I find it hard to believe that even 15% of FFXV copies were sold digitally here, it's not exactly Destiny or Overwatch now is it?

Data from EA suggest that 25-29% is the number they see in US/UK for digital sales and its actually slightly behind what they see for the industry, which is 30%.

15% is probably low balling it.

Harmen

So this PS/XB split is really significant right? I thought UK was one of the places where the One performed the best and the split is still massively in favour of the PS4 regardless of that.

Zedark

So this PS/XB split is really significant right? I thought UK was one of the places where the One performed the best and the split is still massively in favour of the PS4 regardless of that.

Yes, especially compared to the split of FFXIII (54/46 in favour of PS3 vs. 79/21 in favour of PS4), there seems to have been a shift of audience on xbox further away from Japanese games.

Data from EA suggest that 25-29% is the number they see in US/UK for digital sales and its actually slightly behind what they see for the industry, which is 30%.

15% is probably low balling it.

Cheers. I suspect EA's digital sales are higher than normal given their portfolio of games and having stuff like EA Access, so the 15% is going to hold truer for FFXV than like a 30% for something like Star Wars: Battlefront.

Zedark

Cheers. I suspect EA's digital sales are higher than normal given their portfolio of games and having stuff like EA Access, so the 15% is going to hold truer for FFXV than like a 30% for something like Star Wars: Battlefront.

Actually, they say in that same Q&A that they are lagging behind slightly on the general industry trend of 30% with their 29%. FFXV being much lower than EA would mean that Square Enix is an outlier towards the lower end with regards to digital sales, for which we have no evidence, so it would make more sense to put XV's digital number at around that 30% industry standard.

Elios83

Great result considering that digital sales will close the gap a lot compared to FFXIII and also UK has shown a trend of most big games being down recently.
Also better than the PS2 era debuts is quite remarkable.
About the 80:20 split...emmm expected, for KH3 that requires a background knowledge of the series to understand the plot, I guess that things might be even worse.....

Kill3r7

That is precisely what I said. The implication was that the X1 user base is different than the 360 user base in the types of games they like and what they play. The fact that both of those franchises have regressed in sales is an example of a change in demographics/ preferences. The AAA gaming market is changing.

Given its current user base it is not surprising that X1 is performing poorly when it comes to JRPGS vs the 360.

Zedark

That is precisely what I said. The implication was that the X1 user base is different than the 360 user base in the types of games they like and what they play. The fact that both of those franchises have regressed in sales is an example of a change in demographics/ preferences. The AAA gaming market is changing.

Given its current user base it is not surprising that X1 is performing poorly when it comes to JRPGS vs the 360.

I always wonder: how much of this shift, seemingly away from diverse and Japanese towards more casual mainstream titles like FIFA and COD, could be attributed to the dropping of the ball by Microsoft at the reveal of the xbox one? Was the audience always going to shift (or had it shifted later on in the 7th gen already?) or did Microsoft repel the "core" audience that buys more diverse titles than COD and FIFA and madden?

We see now that there is an undeniable change in the xbox gamer demographic since the first half of the 7th gen (shown by FF type-0 and now by FFXV, but also by the rather steep declines of Gears and Halo), and I have always thought it is largely because of Microsoft's xbox one reveal and messaging, but perhaps there are other factors as well that have been playing a role here?

Shifty1897

XIII hype nearly killed the series. Games journalism is also to blame for that, the majority of reviews painted a very different game than what we all got. I think the backlash from that is the reason review culture has evolved the way it has, with scoreless reviewing on the rise.
Glad XV is doing well, it deserves all the praise it gets.

Top Bottom