• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Multiplayer Expansion - First Look + Closed Beta August 3rd

Do you think we will be able to play as female characters in multiplayer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

LordKasual

Banned
For everyone asking about Female avatars:

There are female hunters all over the place in FFXV, of course you'll be able to make a female.

Toth

This doesn't seem like the
World of Ruin
based on these screenshots. Maybe we get to finally visit Galahad?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Am I the only one that is completely wondering of what is the point, or even the business plan of this decision?

"Let's take a story based RPG of the FF franchise and lets slap a Multiplayer mode as DLC"

The fuck?
With this and all the DLCs, FFXV just feels like a huge kitchen sink of gameplay ideas that Square Enix is testing to see what sticks.

The only part that feels weird to me is that it's paid.

Generally you want this kind of mode supported with loot crates and available to everyone possible in order to have ae large player base you can monetize and keep active.

MilkBeard

Agreed. They could easily put it in the
10 years of Noctis' absence
without creating any continuity problems.
And as far as I have read, they had already created the
"dark world"
anyway but it didn't make it into the final game.

Inspecting the pictures further, it definitely looks like areas from the
world of ruin.
Just look at the picture at night with the cactaur, how it looks similar to the hunter base at the gas station, as well as some of the others. I think that is where they are setting this stuff, which is awesome.

This doesn't seem like the World of Ruin based on these screenshots. Maybe we get to finally visit Galahad?

EDIT: Maybe you're right. It looked like it at first, but on second glance, it could be any of the gas stations at night with a metal fence.

dramatis

Am I the only one that is completely wondering of what is the point, or even the business plan of this decision?

"Let's take a story based RPG of the FF franchise and lets slap a Multiplayer mode as DLC"

The fuck?
With this and all the DLCs, FFXV just feels like a huge kitchen sink of gameplay ideas that Square Enix is testing to see what sticks.
Square Enix was looking at the money that GTA Online was printing.

The problem is that FF15 isn't GTA5.

Koozek

Holy shit!!!!! I gotta buy the season pass I must get in the beta
Heh. In case you missed my post:

Might get the 14-days trial for PS+ to try this out. Never really played anything online before, especially on a console. I should probably even have some free time next week from Wednesday onwards or so, so perfect timing. Who of my FFXV-GAF brehs would be in?

I know you've been hyped for this, you in next week? :D

Keym

Generally you want this kind of mode supported with loot crates and available to everyone possible in order to have ae large player base you can monetize and keep active.
Maybe there is no monetization?

The fuck?

Yeah, this game continues to completely lose an identity imho.

And also, go back and put an actual story in the core game. I don't understand how that wasn't addressed before moving on to all this DLC content. There are very fundamental things about the core game that are still very bad, and instead they're working on all this DLC stuff.

Don't get me wrong; I bought deluxe edition for PS4 on day one and played all the way through to completion, and I don't regret my time with it, but man, there's some basic shit (not even gonna go to the framepacing stuff) that still needs addressing.

Koozek

You know I'm in this with you together. I'm free everyday after 8est we linking up for sure
*runs back to the kitchen before he burns ppl food
Ah, if you mean 8PM I think that would be too late over here since I have to be up early for a daily course next week. Weekend would probably be better then. Well, we'll find a way! :p

I'd love to see further improvements to the base game and further story expansions but I'm not sure this is what I'd have asked for in any reality. Curious to see how it turns out, I guess.

LordKasual

Banned
I'd love to see further improvements to the base game and further story expansions but I'm not sure this is what I'd have asked for in any reality. Curious to see how it turns out, I guess.

Hopefully they can use this experience to give FFXVI multiplayer compatibility out the box, similar to how Tales works.

Oh so that's the coop?

I thought it would be a free option for the main game, to just let someone control one of the characters and you play the story together... Or at least meeting up for the mini quests in the main world.

Ray Down

Banned

Maybe SE doesn't like the idea of a big content update as free, especially when they don't know if it will catch on since it wasn't there day 1.

Sell 'premium' customisation items based on previous FF characters, make a killing.

'Want to look like Tidus, Terra or Balthier? $5'

$15 each for Cloud and Sephiroth

My biggest concern is the amount of quests and content. If this has decent support for a length of time, I'd love it. Definitely will get me to buy the season pass finally.

Keinning

Sell 'premium' customisation items based on previous FF characters, make a killing.

'Want to look like Tidus, Terra or Balthier? $5'

$15 each for Cloud and Sephiroth

you know it would end up being 100 lightning variations

and japan would eat it up like delicious cup noodles

Vic_Viper

Hell yes! This sounds like itll be soo much fun!

If this does really well, I wonder if they will make a stand alone type of game with the same style of gameplay? Could this be a "beta" for a full on Multiplayer style Final Fantasy mainline game?

Please let me play as or with Aranea!

Ray Down

Banned

The fuck?

Multiplayer being in single player FF games are going to continue.

It's a huge selling factor and SE is very much interested in doing this going forward.

Just that future ones are going to have it out the gate.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hell yes! This sounds like itll be soo much fun!

If this does really well, I wonder if they will make a stand alone type of game with the same style of gameplay? Could this be a "beta" for a full on Multiplayer style Final Fantasy mainline game?

Please let me play as or with Aranea!
I think a lot of the stuff you're seeing in the post launch updates are basically them doing dry runs on features they want in Tabata's next game.

Offroad driving, character creator, co-op multiplayer (mode), different types of gameplay, power suits, limited time events. All of this seems somewhat odd for the existing game, but very logical as a feature set in their next game.

This way they can build the technology while getting paid for it and get feedback on what worked well and what didn't to boot.

That said, Square Enix said that service games are the future of the industry, and said that the "HD Games" division (this covers everything that's not mobile or MMOs) would be making a bunch of them, so they could plausibly being intending to make standalone games like this as well. That said, I'm suspicious they actually mean the flagship products, or perhaps both.

Ray Down

Banned
I don't see why wouldn't they do it with their flag ship titles since they have the biggest audience to grab with that.

Though SE may want to just make a whole new franchise to capitalize on it.

CheckMate

I don't remember a video game that charged for multiplayer...Would be hilarious if it had microtransactions.

That's big easy pass for me.

I don't remember a video game that charged for multiplayer...Would be hilarious if it had microtransactions.

Must have missed the online pass trend then. Where if you bought the game used, you had to pay for the multiplayer component. Now that sucked... This is an expansion to a game that's closing in on being a year old.

CheckMate

Must have missed the online pass trend then. Where if you bought the game used, you had to pay for the multiplayer component. Now that sucked... This is an expansion to a game that's closing in on being a year old.

You would still get to access the MP if you bought the game at full price. They are not the same.

This was already known way way back as the Season Pass contents were revealed, so you must be living under a rock.

Not sure where the entitlement is coming since it was not a secret announcement in the making but stated right from the get go that online expansion will be available to Season Pass owners. Unless people thought it just meant some early access. The developers back then were still experimenting with ideas and even an avatar creation system was shown way back before E3.

The closed beta is unexpected though but I am curious to check it out.

fg32yD.jpg

Oh hey, Frank West is in a FF game, I wonder how much the sling bikini dlc will cost.

One is locking already existing modes on the disc from certain players around launch and charging even more from those certain gamers. The other is adding a completely new mode that required 8+ months of extra work after the release of the base game. This included online infrastructure, character customization options etc..

Yeah, they are not the same. The point still stands though. Other developers/publishers have charged for multiplayer before.

ViciousDS

Banned

there was this insanely huge game that came out in the last year.....insanely huge that was multiplayer only.....won multiple awards too......has shitty micro transactions but is insanely

had no singleplayer or anything that wasn't multiplayer when it came out.....damn.....the name just skips my mind

This post im responding to has to be a joke right?

GTA 5 and The Phantom Pain.
The Phantom Pain mutliplayer was already stated to be free before the release of the game. There was no Season Pass or DLC but even the online MP was plagued by MTs and shitty paid DLC that served no purpose.

GTA 5 was similarly revealed with online mode but it took a while for them to actually integrate it into the game.

In both of the examples you listed, the MP was already confirmed to be a part of the package, it was just later implemented and added with an update.

FFXV pre-release marketing never suggested that there will be any MP mode so you bought the game strictly as an SP game. There was Season Pass sold for it which was revealed after the launch of the game and one of the component in there was expansion about online multiplayer. I just don't see how it was deceptive or it is greedy to charge for this MP when the developers have been straight forward with it.

Vic_Viper

I think a lot of the stuff you're seeing in the post launch updates are basically them doing dry runs on features they want in Tabata's next game.

Offroad driving, character creator, co-op multiplayer (mode), different types of gameplay, power suits, limited time events. All of this seems somewhat odd for the existing game, but very logical as a feature set in their next game.

This way they can build the technology while getting paid for it and get feedback on what worked well and what didn't to boot.

That said, Square Enix said that service games are the future of the industry, and said that the "HD Games" division (this covers everything that's not mobile or MMOs) would be making a bunch of them, so they could plausibly being intending to make standalone games like this as well. That said, I'm suspicious they actually mean the flagship products, or perhaps both.

Yeah, I dont think Tabata is working on a Mainline FF game, but if any of these are in it im totally down. Id rather them make a full fledged mode than just doing an addon like they are but we need to see how it works first. Looks like a similar style as Destiny which is really cool and id totally be down for it. I dont want a full on Action RPG MMO, but if its similar to what they are doing here it would be soo much fun. Just want to see a better realised open world to explore.

Have they said yet when the new "Power Suits" are coming? I know they had to re-design them after Saban said they looked too much like the Power Rangers. I thought the old designs were awesome tbh.

BTA

I'm not expecting anything amazing, but this'll be fun to play with a friend who was also really into FFXV, at least.

Socivol

I still can't believe they have created this but have yet to give us the story updates we have been asking for since November. Hopefully this sheds some light on story elements but it would suck for the people that do not have the season pass.

Top Bottom