• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition announced/Windows Edition news- Releases March 6

Battlechili

Banned
Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy: Royal Edition, which is the base game along with 20+ pieces of DLC, all the season pass content, and some new content. This will be launching alongside the Windows Edition on March 6 (the Windows Edition will contain the Royal Edition content). This will be releasing on PS4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam, Origin, and the Windows Store. Users who already own FFXV will be able to purchase "Final Fantasy XV: Royal Pack", a DLC featuring the Royal Edition content for $20. Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition will also feature a benchmark test tool to be released February 1.

New features:
  • Crown City of Insomnia expanded map
  • fully-controllable Royal Vessel boat
  • new Armiger Unleashed that gives the player powerful attacks when Armiger is summoned
  • first-person mode
  • archive stories to add worldbuilding
  • a quest to obtain and strengthen regalia Type-d
  • new trophies
Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition system requirements:
Di3wwF9.png

Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition Trailer:

Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition Trailer:

Source
Source

Last edited:

Battlechili

Banned
I'm personally kinda bummed that the game size is so large (100+GB), but excited at the same time that its finally releasing not too far away. My PC should be somewhere between minimum and required system specs, so its within my range. I may need to furiously uninstall a bunch of games just to be able to download and install it though.

Mathrin

So what happens with people who own the game and season pass already? Do we get this additional content for free or do we have to fork out for the GotY edition?

Battlechili

Banned
So what happens with people who own the game and season pass already? Do we get this additional content for free or do we have to fork out for the GotY edition?
I don't know about the season pass, but apparently the Royal Edition content will have its own DLC for $20 to purchase for those who already own the base game. I went ahead and added that information to the OP.

Dunki

Is this the first game that actually needs 8GB of RAM.

Anyway with all the stuff that is coming out from Jan to March this release date seems pretty stupid. April would be much better but then it would not fall into their financial year so....

DTpgE9oVMAEBVOC.jpg

This is really cool you even can fish on the boat xd

Last edited:

vesirott

Neo Member
Can anyone give ma quick "go" or "nogo" for this game? I mean someone who doesnt care about some universe continuity or character emo level. Havent played previous FF games, but could use a nice action RPG romp. I care about fun game mechanics above story, graphics or some other subjective character redesign shit.

Dunki

Can anyone give ma quick "go" or "nogo" for this game? I mean someone who doesnt care about some universe continuity or character emo level. Havent played previous FF games, but could use a nice action RPG romp. I care about fun game mechanics above story, graphics or some other subjective character redesign shit.
The battlesystem is really fun. Exploring the world is really fun. Honestly I had a blast with it and I think it is one of the best party overall in a FF game because you really feel their bond in everything they do even in battles

Last edited:

Shifty

So will the game be done done at that point or are we looking at further story-relevant DLC down the line?

Because I do kind of want to come back and finish the game proper after seeing some interesting spoilers, but square aren't getting another penny out of me until the game is absolutely friggin' finished.

I was in that position when the base game came out on PS4, and came away thoroughly disappointed. The front half of the game is rammed with open world fetch quest nonsense, and the combat (at least at the time, dunno if it's been patched) was way clunkier than those smooth animations would lead you to believe.

I hear the KH2 remaster on critical mode is a good pick if you want tight, challenging gameplay.

I'm personally kinda bummed that the game size is so large (100+GB)
Same. Gotta keep that chopped-up cutscene FMV of Kingsglaive somewhere though I guess.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
To us who already own the game, we can upgrade to the royal pack for $20

Dunki

Go ahead and purchase it on PC. First time playing the game?
No I have the deluxe VErsion for the PS4 and seasonpass but I am just a sucker for FF and I always buy multiple copies on different platforms. I thik I have every FF on Steam now that is available^^

Typhares

So will the game be done done at that point or are we looking at further story-relevant DLC down the line?

So I've just done a bit of research and although not confirmed there is a lot of talk about a season 2 season pass.
If that's the case I will wait some more for the super royal edition or something.

Fbh

Note to self: When the next FF releases wait a year instead of getting the early access version

I only played the Early Access version (aka got the game at launch) and the best way I know to describe it is that it's the most fun I've had with an arguably bad videogame in a long time.
Combat is fairly fun and looks flashy but is a bit over simplistic and the camera tends to get in the way, specially when fighting larger enemies or in places with lots of vegetation.
Most boss battles (except for 1-2) are also pretty bad, with the game focusing more on them looking flashy and cinematic instead of being fun (a lot of them feel really janky).

Sidequests are a mixed bag. Some are great like the various optional dungeons which are easily a highlight of the game, and there's also monster hunts which are enjoyable and will let you fights enemies you'll never encounter just playing through the main story. But there's also A TON of boring and uninspired fetch quests, pretty much all the sidequests given to you by NPC's involve going somewhere to find a mineral, or catch frogs, or deliver an item, etc.

I still enjoyed the game since I liked the character interactions, the music was great, the combat remained fun in its simplicity and there was just something special about playing I game I had been waiting to play for so long. But just looking at it as an action RPG it's several tier below something like Dragons Dogma, or the Souls franchise or even The Witcher 3

Last edited:

Kule

Because I do kind of want to come back and finish the game proper after seeing some interesting spoilers, but square aren't getting another penny out of me until the game is absolutely friggin' finished.

So I've just done a bit of research and although not confirmed there is a lot of talk about a season 2 season pass.
If that's the case I will wait some more for the super royal edition or something.

Pretty sure there will be a second season pass, so if you want the full experience it's going to be at least another years wait after the royal version is released. I remember reading they they wanted to spend more time on the next batch and improve the quality, so I guess it's possible they end up going the naughty dog route and making standalone expansions.

Last edited:

PaulBizkit

So, is this game going to have all the patches and missing content too? I suppose that if I buy this game, it's the full full complete edition of FFXV and THE edition I have to play IF I HAVEN'T played it so far, right?

KiteGr

zdsU7xU.png

Finally! A somewhat finished edition!
Now lets hope that it'll have the content on the disc and won't be a bunch of vouchers.

RPGCrazied

Did they ever get around to fixing the frame pacing on PS4(standard PS4)? Was pretty bad last I checked. Never got passed chapter 2.

xion4360

So, is this game going to have all the patches and missing content too? I suppose that if I buy this game, it's the full full complete edition of FFXV and THE edition I have to play IF I HAVEN'T played it so far, right?

It includes the base game, all season pass content and royal edition content..any patches are naturally going to be part of the game on disc or not. It will not however include any unannounced or future content such as Episode Ardyn.

Last edited:

royox

It includes the base game, all season pass content and royal edition content..any patches are naturally going to be part of the game on disc or not. It will not however include any unannounced or future content such as Episode Ardyn.

So it will be ANOTHER incomplete edition of the game? My gosh how much do people have to wait to play a version of this game that's not an early access?

Rellik

I love how this gets announced just as I'm about to finish up my 2nd playthrough. I'm not sure I can do a 3rd.

Last edited:

Vallen

Neo Member
I'm sure by the end of 2018 it'll have quite a few more new additions, too. I'll probably replay the game when they're fully done with it. For now I'll stick to just checking out the new things they add individually.

NovumAngel

Banned
Spotted the Royal Pack on PSN for 15 euro, gonna wait for some impressions before I sink even more money into this game.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I see that off you buy the Royal edition disc it has everything included in the season pass, but did the digital $20 upgrade also feature the Season pass?

I have the base have on disc but never played any of the DLC.

NovumAngel

Banned
I see that off you buy the Royal edition disc it has everything included in the season pass, but did the digital $20 upgrade also feature the Season pass?

I have the base have on disc but never played any of the DLC.
The Royal Pack does not include the season pass, this is a separate thing again.
Royal pack contains:
New Features:
・Insomnia City Ruins - new map leading straight to the game's climactic end
・First-Person View - mode allowing players to see Eos through Noctis's eyes
・Armiger Unleashed - powered-up combat mode
・Royal Cruiser - open-sea exploration, new fishing spots and recipes
・Regalia Type-D - new acquisition and enhancement quests
・Additional Trophies

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The Royal Pack does not include the season pass, this is a separate thing again.
Royal pack contains:
New Features:
・Insomnia City Ruins - new map leading straight to the game's climactic end
・First-Person View - mode allowing players to see Eos through Noctis's eyes
・Armiger Unleashed - powered-up combat mode
・Royal Cruiser - open-sea exploration, new fishing spots and recipes
・Regalia Type-D - new acquisition and enhancement quests
・Additional Trophies

Hmm ok thanks. I'll see if I can grab the disc it everything down the road then.

I've forgotten how long the unpacking process can be on Steam. It's been going on for 30 minutes for this game already lol. I guess I've been spoiled by the PS4's instant unlocking when a game is released.
I honestly think I can delete and redownload it faster than the unpacking process will take.
Edit: Yep, redownloaded the entire thing in 30 minutes. lol

Last edited:

synce

Got all the way up to chapter 4 and uninstalled. They should really change the slogan at the beginning to just "A Final Fantasy for First Timers" because at no point did this game feel like the series I loved and grew up with. And okay, I can understand change, but it wasn't even fun.

Literally 90% of my time was spent slowly traveling to the next destination or listening to meaningless drivel. At no point did I care about any of the characters. Then there's the battle system. There's no strategy, the hits aren't satisfying, and it's just poorly designed in general. To Square: if you're going to make an action game, at least play one first. I suggest Ninja Gaiden Black. The strikes should be faster and you should be able to cancel into evasive rolls more easily.

Everything about this game is just tediously slow. 3 real-time minutes of literally nothing happening to reach the next town. Stopping everything to take an unskippable phone call. Having to find a campsite then skip several cutscenes/menus just to level up. Shimmying between crevices and around ledges in dungeons, because why not. And of course the ol' walk and talk with a bit of drive and talk, all very important and immersive hallmarks of modern AAA games. Nothing about FF15 feels genuine, but rather a poor attempt to emulate what's trendy. I'm finally checking out if this is the future.

paolo11

True. I'll wait for next year for the super complete edition.

IaN_GAF

I so thoroughly regret buying this game when it came out, it's just sad. Never buying a Final Fantasy game on release ever again.

Guess I'll check back in a year to see if they're finally done making this game, and then look for a sale.

Full pimped out install is 155GB (with dev source textures). Playing at 4k with said textures will net you 10fps in areas on a Titan, taps 11gb+ of VRAM.

This is great imo, PC gamers are finally getting the PC assets the devs work with. Future proofed. Game maintains 60 easy at more reasonable settings, and looks amazing. 10/10 port. Well done.

Last edited:

Mathrin

I don't know if I can justify another £12 on the Royal DLC, but at the same time I don't want to play through the incomplete version. I've had it since launch day and still not finished :/

Anyone purchased the DLC and can recommend it, or suggest avoiding?

Ah, another lesson on not buying AAA games at launch.

Now I have to motivate myself to see if I'm willing to fit a JRPG into my schedule. Probably not.

xion4360

YES! latest update fixed the overblown HDR implementation.. looked nice and bright with great colors, but highlights were off, too bright and made certain details disappear. Looks perfect now.

Top Bottom