• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV September update is now live [+new event added in Chapter 12]

Koozek

I got up to chapter 3 when this was released, and then realized they were going to add content. Initially I held out for the 60FPS patch. Now I keep putting the game off and they keep releasing content (I know it's been awhile, but my gaming schedule isn't exactly a priority, so it feels like it's happened a lot). I want to play the full deal, and maybe they're not done, but I think I'll dive in soon.
Would wait until Episode Ignis is out in December at least. By then you'll likely have another few story updates (one of them is apparently connected to Episode Ignis somehow) and gameplay improvements (like the increased hunt capacity they showed in the recent TGS Universe trailer, so that you can do more than one hunt simultaneously).

Socivol

Lol, nah. I think they just replaced the goddess Etro from Versus with Luna in FFXV's logo when they realized they had to make the logo still make sense after having changed the story and its ties to the FNC lore.

That logo reveal was so random and out of place to me. I've wondered for years what it was and then it was THAT, but they don't explain anything else pictured. With FFXIII at least the logo was kind of a "oh shit!" moment that the loading screen depicted the ending the whole time.

Koozek

I was more concerned with the oversimplifying part. This comment is more than antiquate. :p

I mean... Main Theme and the Chocobo Theme are Uematsu composed tracks. Sure, he didn't arrange FFXV's, but he still composed the original motif and basic composition. I am pretty sure Suzuki is credited for Hellfire on composition and arrangement. But things like RAVUS AETERNIA (which I am so glad Suzuki arranged) use a lot of motifs in the game that are layered over each other. I do think people who compose these motifs deserve credit for it, but if an arranger adds their own compositions to a piece of music they should also be credited for composition of a track. This is why crediting composers and arrangers is so murky. It takes a group of people to make a piece of music and not just one individual these days.

So yes, Uematsu, Shimomura, and Suzuki should be credited as composers when their compositions and motifs are used. The problem only comes when people don't want to credit more than one individual.
Okay, yeah, I absolutely agree that the credits should be more precise in these games' OSTs and should include the arrangers' names as composers when they did both the sequencing/arranging and composing. I mean, I get why it's marketed as a "Soundtrack by Shimomura", but at least credit every name with the correct term (or sometimes even credit names at all).

mike6467

Would wait until Episode Ignis is out in December at least. By then you'll likely have another few story updates (one of them is apparently connected to Episode Ignis somehow) and gameplay improvements (like the increased hunt capacity they showed in the recent TGS Universe trailer, so that you can do more than one hunt simultaneously).

Wow, good to know! I'll do that then, it's not like there isn't a ton of other good stuff to hold me over.

I wonder when we will get the next free story content. Kinda itching for it now. I suppose we'll get an idea when Tabata tells us the roadmap in November.

Sapphos

Neo Member
The amount of people in this thread complaining about free additions to the story and gameplay to improve the experience is amazing to me. You guys will find literally *any* reason to be negative sometimes.

Koozek

I wonder when we will get the next free story content. Kinda itching for it now. I suppose we'll get an idea when Tabata tells us the roadmap in November.
I wonder if this was a mistranslation when Tabata talked about this update having a important connection to Episode Ignis or did we miss something, lol?

If it's not in this one there has to be one before December at the latest. Would make sense for the update at the end of November to lead into Episode Ignis a bit.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm so fucking annoyed that we never got to explore Tenebrae. Just a dungeon's worth, even.

The entire train section was too short. I loved standing at the window watching everything go by. Mapped out in the desert area and explored. There is so, so, so much more they could expand on and add. Tenebrae, wasn't there even a vid of noctis riding a chocobo there in the environments trailer last year there? Did something get cut

I hope they fix summons though, please dear heavens fix them

Koozek

The entire train section was too short. I loved standing at the window watching everything go by. Mapped out in the desert area and explored. There is so, so, so much more they could expand on and add. Tenebrae, wasn't there even a vid of noctis riding a chocobo there in the environments trailer last year there? Did something get cut

I hope they fix summons though, please dear heavens fix them
There never was any footage of Noctis riding through Tenebrae. Only this from the World of Wonder Environment trailer:
ffxv1rbrs9.gif

jdstorm

Banned
Just went to youtube it (had to delete FFXV to clear some HD space)

Arrgh. Why did i play FFXV in French again?

Hopefully a french dub english sub version makes it up

I wonder if this was a mistranslation when Tabata talked about this update having a important connection to Episode Ignis or did we miss something, lol?

If it's not in this one there has to be one before December at the latest. Would make sense for the update at the end of November to lead into Episode Ignis a bit.

Could be. He gets misquoted a lot, but that could also be because he muses a lot in interviews.

But I expect we'll know more soon enough. This was a great start and "part 1." Onwards to more story content and Comrades/Episode Ignis. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just realized the game is now a whopping ~75GB from all the updates and all from the original 50GB.

Arkeband

Banned
There never was any footage of Noctis riding through Tenebrae. Only this from the World of Wonder Environment trailer:
ffxv1rbrs9.gif

tha mountains

tha trees!

tha MAJESTY

edit: I finally got around to watching the new cutscene, it's definitely needed although again, the terrible audio mixing rears its head again, making it hard to make out Gentiana's mumbling without subtitles on.

Ultimately it still doesn't magically make Noctis and Luna's "love" believable but it's something. Maybe if they sprinkle more of this throughout the earlier chapters it'll be serviceable.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Looks like 2 new spaces for fish were added to the fishing log, but aren't in the game yet. I wonder if these will be even harder to catch than the Regal Arapaima and the Pink Jade Gar. Unless they also add better equipment, I don't see how they can make them much more difficult.

I just realized the game is now a whopping ~75GB from all the updates and all from the original 50GB.

Yeah, this is why I'm worried there might not be a physical "definitive" edition. So much of it wouldn't even be able to fit on the disc unless they get some major compression wizardry going on. Unless they did something like re-release the base game and have a code for the rest of the DLC but obviously that wouldn't be the same as an all-in-one disc.

theofficefan99

Tenebrae needs to be playable in a Luna chapter.

It needs to be playable with Noctis.

Yeah, this is why I'm worried there might not be a physical "definitive" edition. So much of it wouldn't even be able to fit on the disc unless they get some major compression wizardry going on. Unless they did something like re-release the base game and have a code for the rest of the DLC but obviously that wouldn't be the same as an all-in-one disc.

Or they could release it as a multi-disc game :D

Seriously who is sound mixing these scenes? Fire them immediately before they ruin all cutscenes in FF16. The dialogue is barely audible at points

Wow @ the new music.

Luna scene had me teary which proves I am emotionally manipulated easily as there is still no reason for this 'love' or deep relationship they supposedly have.

theofficefan99

Seriously who is sound mixing these scenes? Fire them immediately before they ruin all cutscenes in FF16. The dialogue is barely audible at points

Wow @ the new music.

Luna scene had me teary which proves I am emotionally manipulated easily as there is still no reason for this 'love' or deep relationship they supposedly have.

Yeah when I first saw the end of Chapter 9 scene I was bawling whilst simultaneously thinking "wtf is this crap" lol

I was surprised how soon we got this update, but then I saw why.

It sucks that the scenes involving the Astrals are just still images. Not even the ingame ones were animated.
The Astal story is interesting though. I'm so glad that it avoided the my lover died and now I hate humans trope, instead we have the humans betrayed me and I hate them now trope. haha

What is going on with the audio mixing and this game? Didn't Episode Gladio have the same issue too?

This update still doesn't explain why Gentiana
out of all the Astrals is also a messenger. And the update shows they were lovers and both the dame size, so why is she so much smaller than Ifrit during the events of the game?

The scene with Luna and Ravus seems odd now,
because it got extended to include Gentiana but where did he go while they were talking?

Nice to see a part of that Dawn trailer, hopefully they bring the entire voiced thing in the game in order to see a semblance of a relationship with Nocto and his dad.

Falk

that puzzling face
And the update shows they were lovers and both the dame size, so why is she so much smaller than Ifrit during the events of the game?

i want there to be a canonical explanation for why the different astrals are different sizes and how they can change them at will just so that we can have a foot-high titan running around luna's room punching things

wmlk

I feel like talking about Astrals and their different sizes would be the most idiotic thing ever. We know they're supernatural beings and we've seen them at different sizes already through the concept art. Isn't that enough to know that they can assume different sizes?

Some things are better left unexplained, especially when it's a topic really no one cares about.

Fj0823

I thought it was implied Luna's conversation with Gentiana happened in her mind.

That's why Ravus literally disappears

SoulUnison

Banned
i want there to be a canonical explanation for why the different astrals are different sizes and how they can change them at will just so that we can have a foot-high titan running around luna's room punching things

I'm pretty sure the explanation is that they're basically Gods and they can do what they like regarding physical forms.

Beyond that, Ifrit was actually dead, and Shiva was either dead or had a huge part of her killed. Ifrit might be smaller now because he's "regenerating," and Shiva might be smaller because of a combination of losing a large part of her "mass" and because she seems to like to travel as an entourage rather than a singular entity.

I'm pretty sure the explanation is that they're basically Gods and they can do what they like regarding physical forms.

Beyond that, Ifrit was actually dead, and Shiva was either dead or had a huge part of her killed. Ifrit might be smaller now because he's "regenerating," and Shiva might be smaller because of a combination of losing a large part of her "mass" and because she seems to like to travel as an entourage rather than a singular entity.

Yeah this makes more sense to me. I always assumed that the Astrals were able to manifest in different sizes in their ethereal forms but were at a set size in their original physical forms.
Since Shiva is using Gentiana as a way to help Luna and Noctis carry out their duties without being obvious she's an Astral, it would be much more inconspicuous to do so as a human sized entity.

haha. that would make the Luna scenes so much better.

But yeah I'm gonna stick to my original theory and say that Shiva is the smallest one because the developers wanted a bunch of barely clothed women to gather around the Prince.

As for the conversation between Gentiana and Luna being in Luna's mind....

yeah,sure why not?

Really great new cut scene, fleshed the background a lot. Surprised they made it work that well. I really don't think there is much more needed, this was pretty much what I wanted. Glad there is still more to come.

I don't think its possible to fix disjointing scenes like jared and loqi that much, but we'll see. Didn't really bother me that much anyway so what ever.

Have a feeling PC version will easily be in my favorite top 3 with 9 and 7.

Fukuzatsu

Really great new cut scene, fleshed the background a lot. Surprised they made it work that well. I really don't think there is much more needed, this was pretty much what I wanted. Glad there is still more to come.

I don't think its possible to fix disjointing scenes like jared and loqi that much, but we'll see. Didn't really bother me that much anyway so what ever.

I don't think people are expecting much, but it would be a bit baffling to think that they got Loqi's VA back in for the Assassin's Creed stuff and didn't take the opportunity to give him at least one more cutscene or piece of dialogue in the main game. As is, the guy quite literally has more screentime in the Assassin's Creed festival than in the actual story.

Myriadis

Man with all the updates and stuff I really am excited for the PC version, as I don't have a PS4. So that Tenebrae Region is literally just passing through on train? Even though I haven't played it yet I know how frustrating it is to see some amazing landscapes only for the game to tell you no, you can't go and explore. Hope one update gives you at least a bit of roaming around that place, looks great.

Lightning

Banned
Looks like 2 new spaces for fish were added to the fishing log, but aren't in the game yet. I wonder if these will be even harder to catch than the Regal Arapaima and the Pink Jade Gar. Unless they also add better equipment, I don't see how they can make them much more difficult.
That Pink Jade Gar is a fucking pain in the ass. I didn't find the Regal that hard if you're patient but the Gar is ridiculous. The amount of attempts it took and even when I got it it was more luck than skill. I just got lucky when turning the reel the right way at the right time since this fucker changes direction so often and does ridiculous damage to your line when he does.

When i first tried to catch it my line was getting 400-500 damage before I even realized what direction I was supposed to be reeling. Stupid fish. Never again.

Link_enfant

I now realize it was a really great decision to not play the game yet. I've bought the Deluxe Edition on the day of release, only played the very beginning to show th egame to my brother but I was on other games at the same time so I just let it stay in its box since then.
I'll definitely play it, but I'm waiting for that moment when we eventually get the confirmation that it won't be updated anymore.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
That Pink Jade Gar is a fucking pain in the ass. I didn't find the Regal that hard if you're patient but the Gar is ridiculous. The amount of attempts it took and even when I got it it was more luck than skill. I just got lucky when turning the reel the right way at the right time since this fucker changes direction so often and does ridiculous damage to your line when he does.

When i first tried to catch it my line was getting 400-500 damage before I even realized what direction I was supposed to be reeling. Stupid fish. Never again.

Really? I caught the Pink Jade Gar on my 3rd attempt and I had 119 stamina left. The Regal Arapaima took me several hours and when I finally got it I only had 5 stamina. You basically have to be perfect for several minutes with the Regal Arapaima. It's nerve wracking. He did this little bullshit move at the end where he changed directions about seventy billion times in a microsecond and I thought I lost but it turned out I barely won. The Gar fight is only like a minute long. You just gotta be super aggressive.

This may be because my Regal Arapaima was 193.5 pounds. 10 pounds heavier than the average. My gar on the other hand was 46.1 pounds, which was on the light side. I also caught the Arapaima first so maybe I just got gud.

I'm looking forward to the Monster of the Deep DLC quite a lot. Loved fishing.

Top Bottom