• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Reportedly Added Support For VRR & Up To 240 FPS To Its Internal Game Engine

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nintendo has reportedly added support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and frame rates up to 240 fps to one of its in-house game engines.

A data mine of the new action adventure title from Nintendo, Endless Ocean Luminous, has revealed that it uses an updated version of the console maker’s internally developed Bezel Engine, which now appears to support higher frame rates up to 240 fps despite the Switch only being able to run games up to 60 fps.

As seen in the code snippet below, support for higher frame rates in the new version of the Bezel Engine is only enabled once variable frame rate mode is changed from “Fixed” to “Variable”.

Nintendo vrr

This information raises several questions regarding the hardware specs of Nintendo’s next console. Will the Switch 2 come with a 240 Hz display? Will the display also support VRR? A previous report from Taiwain’s Economic Daily suggested that the console may feature a 12- Hz display. There was no mention of support for VRR, however.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

I really hope this is not true, or we might be seeing low res low detail 720p Nintendo games switch 2 for the next 8 years under the guise that 240hz is worth the resolution hit. Nintendo smoooothflow in action!

Give me 1080p 8" oled at 60hz every day over that crap. (And 1440p-4k upscaling docked)

Last edited:
All these switch 2 rumors 240hz - 4tb gpu / 4k dock etc seem to be way to over the top. Nintendo has never gone power hungry and I don’t expect them to this gen. Hopefully I’m wrong but I can’t seeing all these rumors being true!!
I agree, that kind of stuff sounds like totally unreasonable fan-fantasies and very un-Nintendo.

shamoomoo

All these switch 2 rumors 240hz - 4tb gpu / 4k dock etc seem to be way to over the top. Nintendo has never gone power hungry and I don’t expect them to this gen. Hopefully I’m wrong but I can’t seeing all these rumors being true!!
The TFLOPS numbers aren't particularly hard to achieve on a handheld, remember TFLOPS is just the theoretical numbers of operations a GPU can do. We don't know how a 4 TFLOP with actually preform like nor do we know anything about the various fill-rates and how has the GPU been modified so it's stupid easy to use.

Also, Nintendo has the opportunity to make an interesting console cheap because they waited long enough to achieve things that would be difficult on the original Switch.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
*sigh*

I really wish Nintendo would put these rumors and their spreaders out of their misery.
The Stellar Blade controversy kept everyone busy elsewhere for a while, but now the game’s out we’re gonna have 2-3 weekly Switch 2 rumor threads again, aren’t we?

Jinzo Prime

Looking into it further, Bezel is used in games like Mario Party Superstars, WarioWare GIT, and Super Mario 35. It seems to be more of a base toolset to get games running on the Switch, and is up to developers to provide their own extensions to it in order to create complete game.

I think adding VRR to the engine is a good sign that the next Switch will be capable of using it, but the 240 framerate is probably just some future-proofing or bug prevention. I expect 120 Hz could be possible in some games, especially backward-compatible Switch games.

Holammer

I don't believe a single one of Nintendo's games will run at 240 fps on the next Switch, should be plenty of 60. though
Nothing weird with that, less demanding games like Hollow Knight shine on a 240hz display and the wiki for the Bezel Engine lists similarly simpler titles like Tetris 99, Super Mario Bros 35 & Pacman 99. Stuff a next gen device shouldn't have any problem rendering at 120-240.

I'm going to laugh so fucking hard when Nintendo drops sloppy seconds "remasters" of Switch and WiiU games with resolution and framerate bumps that PC emulation players have had access to for free for years. Console players, especially Nintendo ones, really don't get how hard they're getting fucked and all I can do is just smile to myself about it. Can't be me buying that junk.

acm2000

i mean any engine can hit 240fps unless you do stupid things like linking physics to framerate, VRR is still pretty niche but should be standard for future proofness

BlackTron

I 100% believe this, and I don't think it means anything extreme. Just because they built in the capability to output up to 240hz doesn't mean it will actually get used in a real world context. Remember when people used to talk about how high the framerate could get on a PS1 or 2 if it was only displaying some pixels? Yeah.

The fact that it was actually limited to 60 in-engine before is pretty extreme TBH. They are just lifting the limitation. Doesn't mean the 128 in Mario 128 will stand for Hz guys

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Doesn’t mean much, other than Nintendo future proofing its future titles. VRR is really nice though! Who knows, maybe NVIDIA has some huge breakthrough for DLSS 4.1?

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
Nintendo is going to release a portable console with Unreal Engine 5 graphics at 4K 240 fps and 4TB of SSD storage for $300, they are going to put Sony and Microsoft out of business

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I really hope this is not true, or we might be seeing low res low detail 720p Nintendo games switch 2 for the next 8 years under the guise that 240hz is worth the resolution hit. Nintendo smoooothflow in action!

Give me 1080p 8" oled at 60hz every day over that crap. (And 1440p-4k upscaling docked)
Why leap to this conclusion? It is probably a 'max' capability of the SoC they chose that can never be fully realized. No way in fuck is Nintendo aiming for a max setting that only a sliver of the market cares about or can even use. This is likely a future proof thing just like enabling 8k resolution of RTX 30 series cards. It also likely comes from their bigger GPUs.

But go assume they are going to push this because that fits with Nintendo's pattern. I mean all Switch games never dipped below 60 FPS right?

Xdrive05

VRR is a big deal, and the higher fps cap opens the door to 40fps modes. Now would their built-in screen support VRR and 40fps refresh? That would be very wise if so, but not sure how "Nintendo" that would be. If they could save a nickel per unit and omit VRR they probably would, which is retarded considering the real-world benefits of VRR for both devs and gamers. But maybe Nintendo has new blood making their hardware decisions?

StereoVsn

VRR is a big deal, and the higher fps cap opens the door to 40fps modes. Now would their built-in screen support VRR and 40fps refresh? That would be very wise if so, but not sure how "Nintendo" that would be. If they could save a nickel per unit and omit VRR they probably would, which is retarded considering the real-world benefits of VRR for both devs and gamers. But maybe Nintendo has new blood making their hardware decisions?
VRR is also great for docked mode even if Nintendo cheaps out and doesn’t have VRR or 120hz support on the actual Switch 2 screen.

proandrad

Nintendo is planning to resell you Super Mario World for switch 2 at an enhanced 240fps, and my dumbass will probably buy it.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Or maybe it's because Xbox is out, so it's Playstation vs Nintendo going forward.

cireza

They also silently added support for big dicks. Proof in this code snippet from their latest Balls Engine:

Capture.png

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Why leap to this conclusion? It is probably a 'max' capability of the SoC they chose that can never be fully realized. No way in fuck is Nintendo aiming for a max setting that only a sliver of the market cares about or can even use. This is likely a future proof thing just like enabling 8k resolution of RTX 30 series cards. It also likely comes from their bigger GPUs.

But go assume they are going to push this because that fits with Nintendo's pattern. I mean all Switch games never dipped below 60 FPS right?

Let's hope you are right, but history tells us Nintendo is going to be looking for a gimmick that doesn't exist in switch 1 for switch 2. They will want something new to draw in existing and new buyers.

Let's hope it's an extra button or optional 3d or a wireless hdmi dongle instead of this.

100% doubt Switch 2 has a 240 Hz display, but I can see them supporting 240 Hz external monitors & televisions through the dock's HDMI port.

Kinda doubt something like the next mainline Mario or Zelda will have 240 FPS options (lol), but smaller indie games might. This option is there for them.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Or maybe it's because Xbox is out, so it's Playstation vs Nintendo going forward.
No that’s not true Xbox isn’t out at all lol, but even if that was true Nintendo do would never challenge Sony head to head. Nintendo has never operated at the high end of technology or took a lose on hardware.

Top Bottom