• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SPOILER THREAD

aitakute

A lot of people jumping to conclusions based on a game they haven't played themselves and already trying to form opinions on a story that they are spoiling themselves through pictures. This thread depresses me.

OQRgM2e.png

Hm...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'd accept Ravus as some sort of Seymour like recurring boss. Stick him as a giant jelly man with magic in the final dungeon, and I'll be ok with him.

Hyro

Banned
Christ, we go full anime now. I don't mind anime-ish story in JRPG but I swear if Ravus reminds me of some certain characters....

That's kinda par the course for Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general. I haven't played a JRPG where I could say the story is of a high standard/quality.

By all means I would love to be enlightened about all this. Especially about the characters.

Sorry I'm just really bitter right now haha. Really really bitter.

Instead of spoiling the story for yourself, play it yourself and form your own opinion outside the site. I don't foresee you spoiling yourself with text and pictures from people who are forming and skewing their opinions on the story (both positively or negatively) as a good thing.

Instead of spoiling the story for yourself, play it yourself and form your own opinion outside the site. I don't foresee you spoiling yourself with text and pictures from people who are forming and skewing their opinions on the story (both positively or negatively) as a good thing.

*awaits the 4chan version intensley*

Aters

VII, VIII and XIII were but the others were more in line with Western fantasy archetypes.

I don't think VII is anime-ish at all. VIII though, the love story does go anime from time to time. I can give you FFXIII, but even that doesn't give me strong "I'm gonna destroy the world to save my imouto" vibe, maybe it's just because Lightning is female.

That's kinda par the course for Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general. I haven't played a JRPG where I could say the story is of a high standard/quality.

Like I said before, I never said JRPGs have story of high standard. They are bad, but they are bad in different ways. FF is known for batshit insane plots, sacrificing consistency, which I'm totally fine with. By anime-ish I mean the story follows a certain trope that is often presented in anime. I don't like that because I don't want the story to be predictable.

Kinda late for the words of wisdom (not mocking you they really are) after finding out the fate of Luna. Only reason for having faith in this game for me. Now that I know what happens to her it's, well, not what I wanted. Unless something reverses that I see no reason for me to play this anymore.

So bring on the spoilers!

aitakute

1) Where is this from.
2) It really bothers me they put "Alot" as one word. Sorry for being all grammar nazi about that, but it will always bother me.
3) That isn't me.
4) They spelled my username wrong.

I know. Just pointing out that people on 4chan are watching this thread. A lot of shit posting is going on over there

Kinda late for the words of wisdom (not mocking you they really are) after finding out the fate of Luna. Only reason for having faith in this game for me. Now that I know what happens to her it's, well, not what I wanted. Unless something reverses that I see no reason for me to play this anymore.

So bring on the spoilers!

So, as you know, I am baised as you will find when it comes to this game, but letting a "story revelation" like this deter you from a purchase of a game you're looking forward to is a bit much. (
Even though I personally like this turn and works well when you actually played it and see it
)

There's more to this story than this character and there is more to this character than that one scene. Interpret this however you want.

I know. Just pointing out that people on 4chan are watching this thread. A lot of shit posting is going on over there

Oh?

So, as you know, I am baised as you will find when it comes to this game, but letting a "story revelation" like this deter you from a purchase of a game you're looking forward to is a bit much.

There's more to this story than this character and there is more to this character than that one scene. Interpret this however you want.

Oh?
It's fine. Don't fret about it! I'll just move on to another game. Was just too attached to the characters. I'm sure others will love it!

Also yeah be careful with the 4chan comments. Getting really interesting there haha.

I should try WoFF one day.
Never played FFVII Orthodoxy? Huh. I thought you did.
Oh no, well not quite! I've played it many times. I've actually even owned it on like three different platforms. It's just that I've never been able to get past the first three or so hours for some reason.

Someday. Maybe!
Greatest shitstorm in the history of video games incoming?
Nah.

For all the shitstorm predictions we have had, I don't think this will be the game to create a true shitstorm. At worst, maybe waves of disappointment and overdoses of schadenfreude, but that's about it.
NMS set a high bar for that.
Yeah I don't think this could even match that honestly unless the gameplay experience somehow shits the bed at some point.

Aurongel

FFVII came out in 1997. What anime in your mind influenced FFVII?
Akira and Ghost in the Shell easily. Plot is a different argument but the art and character designs took a huge leap towards anime from VI to VII. It was cool at the time to see state of the art video game visuals look closer to what we saw in anime.

Oh no, well not quite! I've played it many times. I've actually even owned it on like three different platforms. It's just that I've never been able to get past the first three or so hours for some reason.

Someday. Maybe!
No worries! I struggle with the first few hours sometimes too! But then it's gets better! But I'm sure you'll get past it one day!

Boke1879

In a world where MGSV no story happened? Alongside Kojima "You will regret your words an deeds?"

lol, not even close

Even then people largely moved on. And MGSV had great gameplay to fall back on.

No Mans Sky is the biggest shitstorm by far and I doubt that gets topped any time soon.

Slater

Banned
I expect on par with MGSV, maybe less if the ending is good. But nothing tops NMS

It wont be on par, people just don't hold FF/Tabata to the same standards as MGS/Kojima

and nothing Tabata has ever said is anywhere close to as outrageous as Kojima about Quiet

Aurongel

I don't really see this being a shitstorm, I think the highest profile backlash it will receive will come from Western media commenting on the game's (piss poor) gender politics. The fans (us) however don't seem too be a ticking time bomb the same way the pre-MGSV hype train was.

Akira and Ghost in the Shell easily. Plot is a different argument but the art and character designs took a huge leap towards anime from VI to VII. It was cool at the time to see state of the art video game visuals look closer to what we saw in anime.
The thing is when people say something is "Anime" or "that looks Anime as fuck," it's often meant as a pejorative statement. Not always, but rather often.

Taking inspiration from something like Akira and GitS is hard to care about since those are classics that seem to be more than "just" anime. I doubt most people think XV is going to be drawing from that kind of anime.

Aters

The character design is indeed anime, but I fail to see the resemblance in story (the setting is similar.....not really). That said, I'd be very happy if JRPG can take something from GitS besides art design.

What, you think just because of the date it didn't happen? Huge ass sword, arm cannon, there are infinite tropes from animes that came before.

Alright, you got me. "Huge ass sword" is anime trope, but it's a trope I don't mind at all. "destroying the world to save my imouto" though, that rings a bell in a dangerous way.

Tagyhag

I don't see why people would be incredibly disappointed.

We haven't gotten a good main FF story since 9...Why would it be any different now?

Even if I was generous and used 10, that was 15 years ago.

I think when we saw that huge spoiler a few months back we all knew what to expect, hopefully the game is just fun to play.

So, as you know, I am baised as you will find when it comes to this game, but letting a "story revelation" like this deter you from a purchase of a game you're looking forward to is a bit much. (
Even though I personally like this turn and works well when you actually played it and see it
)

Oh?
Wait a second...something stood out to me in your post this time. Something new. I need to think about this. Hmm...

We haven't gotten a good main FF story since 9...Why would it be any different now?

I think when we saw that huge spoiler a few months back we all knew what to expect, hopefully the game is just fun to play.
Goddamn that was my first home console JRPG. Why you gotta make me feel my age man.

Aters

Incoming Kagari.

No one really expects a classic FF game. It's gone since FFIX and unless the Gooch returns, no one can change it. I personally just want another FFXII, and so far I'm not disappointed at all.

Ray Down

Banned
Incoming Kagari.

No one really expects a classic FF game. It's gone since FFIX and unless the Gooch returns, no one can change it. I personally just want another FFXII, and so far I'm not disappointed at all.

Nah if we need Kagari in here lets insult XIV and Gohan.

It wont be on par, people just don't hold FF/Tabata to the same standards as MGS/Kojima

and nothing Tabata has ever said is anywhere close to as outrageous as Kojima about Quiet

Both games got heavily criticized for a lack of female characters.

Honestly we're comparing apples to oranges.

Tagyhag

Goddamn that was my first home console JRPG. Why you gotta make me feel my age man.

You'll be fine, I'll just remind you again in 10 years!

Incoming Kagari.

Yep, if I get another 12 I'll be supremely happy.

Top Bottom