• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final fantasy XV story

Alexm92

So I just got ff15, I'm about an hour in and I'm kind of confused with all the extra DLC episodes, kingsglaive movie, brotherhood etc. Seems like the story is split into different bits all over the place. Any tips on how to get the most out of the story? What order should I play/watch?

xlordxerxes

Neo Member
I tried to pay attention to what the game was about but couldn’t halfway through but my buddy told me kingsglave helps you understand the backstory.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The story is definitely all over the place.

Chronologically speaking its:
  • A King's Tale
  • Platinum Demo
  • Brotherhood Anime
  • Kingsglaive
  • Main Game
  • Episode DLC (In release order: Gladio, Prompto, Ignis)
If you don't really care about the game's backstory you can skip everything listed above the main game and jump right in.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I recommend watching Kingsglaive after the first chapter.

It's like they cut an entire segment of the game and made a movie instead. Pretty shameful lol.

I enjoyed it and got the platinum trophy for the main story. To my understanding there were spoilers with the DLC episodes Gladio (forsure) play through the main story avoid the DLC story episodes for now. I still need to watch Kingsglaive. If its available the Chocobo/ Mog carnival are ok to play but usually happen at certain times a year. They did a random Assassin's Creed crossover thing, thats over now but that was also safe to play. The multiplayer is also safe to play if you get into that. They did a hell of a job for all the content you got from the seasons pass, EA, Activision take note.

Petrae

There’s so much about Final Fantasy XV that’s confusing, including the story. I don’t even understand the combat, or why I can’t heal outside of a battle, or how to use items at all.

I bought the Season Pass and want to keep playing the game, but it’s an exercise in frustration. Unless I start over again and follow the limited tutorial more closely, I’m doomed to be forever confused. That kinda sucks.

I don’t know why I should be interested in this group of guys. I get that the main character is important (some royal lineage or whatever), but that doesn’t give me much.

John Day

Man i almost feel wrong about posting, because i loved the game even with flaws in pacing and not showcasing a clear story (or rather, a clear background).

If you dig a bit you will find a really cool backstory and world building, but yeah, i understand if many don’t delve that deep.

I’d say you only need to watch Kingsglaive ($$ movie), the abrotherhood animes (free) and the game to get most of it.

John Day

There’s so much about Final Fantasy XV that’s confusing, including the story. I don’t even understand the combat, or why I can’t heal outside of a battle, or how to use items at all.

I bought the Season Pass and want to keep playing the game, but it’s an exercise in frustration. Unless I start over again and follow the limited tutorial more closely, I’m doomed to be forever confused. That kinda sucks.

I don’t know why I should be interested in this group of guys. I get that the main character is important (some royal lineage or whatever), but that doesn’t give me much.

Wait what? R2 on ps4 pops up the items menu and you can heal outside battles. I mean come on, that’s just basic. You don’t even have to use the tutorial to learn that come on...

Dienekes

Moderator battling in the shade.
I've gotten pretty far on Xbox One X, and it's been a lot of fun... but I'm COMPLETELY lost on the story so far. lol

p.s. the game keeps locking up on me at this certain spot. Never had an issue on the entire playthrough before this. I'm just after chapter 13, anyone else?

SoulUnison

Banned
It's got a really solid story told exceedingly poorly - and often just not told at all.

Like, imagine watching all 3 Lord of the Rings movies back to back, but with random, hugely important and expository scenes deleted so sometimes you're just like "What? Wait, since when is this happening?"
But it's too late. It's already happening and you just sort of have to accept it and keep pace.

It's getting better through the updates, but that's what playing the game at launch was like.

Last edited:

autoduelist

I just started yesterday. Still in chapter 1, so can't really speak to the story... but I am -loving- the game. When I first started playing, I thought I was going to hate the combat system, but it just... works. I've been doing hunts and exploring and fishing. Yeah. It's great.

xviper

the story is awful so don't bother caring about it, but Kingsglaive movie is pretty good, the game overall is good, highly disappointing but still good

Neo Member
The story is definitely all over the place.

Chronologically speaking its:
  • A King's Tale
  • Platinum Demo
  • Brotherhood Anime
  • Kingsglaive
  • Main Game
  • Episode DLC (In release order: Gladio, Prompto, Ignis)
If you don't really care about the game's backstory you can skip everything listed above the main game and jump right in.

In fact is:
  • A King's Tale
  • Platinum Demo
  • Kingsglaive (Happens during Chapter 1 of the game, the post-credits is the beginning of the game)
  • Chapter 1 of the game
  • Brotherhood Anime
  • Rest of the game
  • Comrades Multiplayer DLC
  • After finishing the story play episodes DLC (Gladio, Prompto and Ignis)

Alexm92

Thanks guys. Going to maybe play a kings tale..big maybe. Definitely going to watch kingsglaive before I continue with the game. Then I'm going to finish chapter one and watch brotherhood. And I'll see how I feel towards the episodes after that.

Fbh

Kingsglaive is so relevant to the story that Im still surprised they were selling it instead of giving it away for free with the game.

While not great it tells a more compelling story than the actual game

What's up with the lack of 12 love?

I recently played the ps4 re-master and just didn't find any character memorable. tbh, only name I'm remembering right now is Vaan. Thought it was a great game, I just don't think it has that "legendary" status that 6,7 and 9 have.

NovumAngel

Banned
Thanks guys. Going to maybe play a kings tale..big maybe. Definitely going to watch kingsglaive before I continue with the game. Then I'm going to finish chapter one and watch brotherhood. And I'll see how I feel towards the episodes after that.
A King's Tale isn't really essential in the grand scheme of things so don't be afraid to skip it.
In term's of the bro's DLC, I haven't played the Galdious one but Prompto's one is certainly worth playing at least.

Vallen

Neo Member
So I just got ff15, I'm about an hour in and I'm kind of confused with all the extra DLC episodes, kingsglaive movie, brotherhood etc. Seems like the story is split into different bits all over the place. Any tips on how to get the most out of the story? What order should I play/watch?

>Watch Kingsglaive
>Play the Game
>When a party member leaves your party, wait for them to come back, and then go play their DLC. For example, Gladio leaves, then a chapter later comes back. So once he's back, save, and go play EP Gladio etc.

Sure there are a lot of side stuff; the mini OVA series, random comics and so on - but they're non essential. Kingsglaive and the base game is really all you need to enjoy it. And now that the DLCs are out, it's actually quite a decent game!

NovumAngel

Banned
>Watch Kingsglaive
>Play the Game
>When a party member leaves your party, wait for them to come back, and then go play their DLC. For example, Gladio leaves, then a chapter later comes back. So once he's back, save, and go play EP Gladio etc.

Sure there are a lot of side stuff; the mini OVA series, random comics and so on - but they're non essential. Kingsglaive and the base game is really all you need to enjoy it. And now that the DLCs are out, it's actually quite a decent game!
I wouldn't suggest playing Ignis's until you've finished the game since it spoils the ending.

A.Romero

I'm no expert (haven't finished the game, I need to grind a lot in order to do the last dungeon) but it's better if you see it as an action game more than a classic RPG FF. As you say, there is no way to heal with items outside of battle, except by eating food or sleeping (which tallies your XP as you probably know).

Items can be used in battle by pressing R2, the menu on the right will change and will show you available items.

I don't think there is much to miss on the tutorials, it would suck to start over. Personally I'd drop the game.

I'd describe the game as clunky over confusing. It feels disjointed. Some decisions make the game close to unbearable like moving around the map because of the loading times or the randomized use of summons. Still, I think it's an important chapter in gaming overall as a testament of how a 10 year development cycle product looks like. It also has pretty good production values and some of the stuff is interesting/worth seeing.

I'm dead set on finishing the game but I won't get the DLC nor get it for PC. Just want to get some closure after about 30 hours of playing.

Almost forgot to mention to the OP or anyone else playing through, do yourself a favour and equip the NiExperience Band to Noctis, thats available through the "first holiday free dlc pack" basically that will stop you from leveling up and every time you rest and hold all your experience points until you come across a nice hotel that will x2 or x3 your experience points earned. You unequip the band from Noctis at that point and jump your lvl up considerably and quickly. I did this while doing a few timed quest and I went from probably level 78 to level 101. Last I heard the level cap was at 120.

A.Romero

Almost forgot to mention to the OP or anyone else playing through, do yourself a favour and equip the NiExperience Band to Noctis, thats available through the "first holiday free dlc pack" basically that will stop you from leveling up and every time you rest and hold all your experience points until you come across a nice hotel that will x2 or x3 your experience points earned. You unequip the band from Noctis at that point and jump your lvl up considerably and quickly. I did this while doing a few timed quest and I went from probably level 78 to level 101. Last I heard the level cap was at 120.

I borrowed the game from a friend. Is the free dlc attached to a key or something?

Randomizer

The handling of the narrative of this game is an absolute cluster fuck of epic proportions. But even so I enjoyed the game for being different and the climax of the story was actually good. The game is very chill & relaxing and the optional dungeons & bosses are great.

Tabata always has such disjointed stories in his titles. Repeatedly having massive world changing events happen off screen without even a cutscene to show it. But every game of his I’ve played always has a great ending. I don’t know how he manages that lol. I haven’t finished 3rd Birthday though nor do I intended to, game is trash.

I borrowed the game from a friend. Is the free dlc attached to a key or something?
Nope just go into the respective Microsoft store or Playstation store and lookup Final Fantasy XV, look up the DLC and open up everything available and you'll find it. Holiday Pack 1, or something like that and once you download that check your accessories and you should find your Niexperience Band.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Bought it, beat it and immediately went to the forums to complain about Chapter 13. It's like they purposely make 13 the worse of there games and the series as a whole. FFXIII was blasphemy...period. Chapter 13 in FFXV....atrocious.

As for the story...erm....i don't remember much of the story to be honest. I remember more about FFVIII's story and that came out like an eon ago.

Semi Spoilers(?)
Something about Noctis and his friends getting kicked out of their palace because daddy made a deal with the devil and paid for it with his life. Devil takes over, kills daddy, NOCTIS LITERALLY DOESN'T FLINCH, and then sets out for revenge against devil and charismatic wizard dude who acts like he's your friends, but really ain't ya friend, brah. You chase him around as he shows up at the most opportune times...like while you fight Leviathan he casually just stabs your girl to death...so yea, now you're pissed...daddy dies...you don't react. girl dies and it's on apparently. Blah blah blah, go find wizard, witness his ultimate power blah blah everybody dies but not really.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.Romero

Nope just go into the respective Microsoft store or Playstation store and lookup Final Fantasy XV, look up the DLC and open up everything available and you'll find it. Holiday Pack 1, or something like that and once you download that check your accessories and you should find your Niexperience Band.

Awesome! Will try later tonight.

Thanks!

Magusx

I was crying when Luna died.
Not because it was a sad scene but because the story was trash.Characters have 0 depth.FF15 killed FF for me.I wish Yoko Taro could make FF16 story because at SquareEnix they suck balls atm.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was crying when Luna died. Not because it was a sad scene but because the story was trash.Characters have 0 depth.FF15 killed FF for me.I wish Yoko Taro could make FF16 story because at SquareEnix they suck balls atm.
I would love to see Yoko Taro make a FF game as long as he has total freedom over the project.

I would love to see Yoko Taro make a FF game as long as he has total freedom over the project.

Now that's something I'd love to see people speculate about.

Probably not a mainline title but a spinoff - something that focuses on a singular character's journey through a world of magic and torment

What sorta twist would he give to this tale of crystals and chocobos.

Now about FFXV:

I don't blame people for finding FFXV's story a mess, because the sad truth is that it was poorly executed.
Sections of the game were unfinished or were scrapped during development - the important parts of Kingsglaive should have been in the game's intro.
The game sorely lacked scenes that further develops character motives and general importance to the larger plot.
Instead we got events that happen during the main story but happens off screen and were obviously setup to generate post game dlc.

Then we have the second half of the game, and oh boy.

I really enjoyed the open world aspect of the game, and I praise the team for pulling it off - but I really think they should have included more liner story segments in-between the open world to keep main plot in motion.
I love the freedom the game gives u, but getting to lvl 70 before the end of chapter 4 might be a little too much especially if the remaining chapters do not keep up with the game's initial opening.

Dreamer RD

I finished the game and have no idea what happened.

It doesn't matter, though, because FF15 is a bad game.

So true.
By the way, Hajime Tabata visits Moscow today with exclusive "Windows Edition" of this garbage.
c9e9e879052a918d5857d8d8138e545f.png

I will ask friend about this event later. Gonna start in a few hours.

KevinKeene

Banned
What was a real slap into the face was that those character episodes for Gladiolus and co. were sold separately.

Here I'm playing the game, then 'that' happened ... but I don't get to see how because it's locked behind paid DLC. Truly effed up.

bufkus

if you guys thought FFXV's story was bad (and indeed it was), you should have seen what Nomura had originally envisioned. Let's just say this game should have never been made into FFXV, it should have just been canceled while it was still an FF13 spinoff.

Vallen

Neo Member
Nomura had plans for an action game a la KH with a dark theme involving lots of death and violence. Tabata gave us a boy band selfie simulator.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really enjoyed the open world aspect of the game, and I praise the team for pulling it off - but I really think they should have included more liner story segments in-between the open world to keep main plot in motion.
I love the freedom the game gives u, but getting to lvl 70 before the end of chapter 4 might be a little too much especially if the remaining chapters do not keep up with the game's initial opening.
I said this before but I think FFXV would have been much better off making linear game like Xenoblade Chronicles. It would have huge area to explore but it still be linear game.

Last edited:

deathsaber

Yeah, that game is a clusterfuck in story telling. And the funny thing, is it does end quite solidly. But so little actually happens while in the open world.

I'm still not 100% on

ending spoilers

If the party (outside of obviously Noctis) live or die in the end. I've read convincing arguments both ways.

JLMC469

Banned
Is the game worth the purchase? Still debating if I should buy it or just skip it (XBOX ONE X version).

...enjoyed XIII and my favorite is X.

Wunray

The game is a solid 7/10 but this game needed better direction especially on the second half. TBH I have no idea why they don't didn't make this into a trilogy with kingsglave being the first part, they would have made more money too.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Kingsglaive should've been the game. Better story and better characters. Personally I thought XV was such a mess, riddled with some really bad writing, inconsistent pacing, and a cast that was just terrible.

grumpyGamer

Nice game concept very badly implamented.
If you have the cash for dlc you should buy it (fuck square for loking essential story in dlc) because the story in the game is shit.
And watch the movie.

But yeah fuck aquare and fukk ff 15, hated the game and the way the story was made

Top Bottom