• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to think people with small penis's are offended by the name, and therefore don't like it.

Me, having a sufficient penis, didn't associate Wii with small penis's until people on here suggested it.

Odysseus

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Games decide who wins rememmmbeerrrrr?

i am not saying nintendo will have the games, im just saying in the long run the name will be irrelevant.

edit: why am i defending this dumbass name?

But I think you'll agree that Nintendo already had a tough hill to climb, and this name didn't make that task any easier.

edit: And exactly!

MadOdorMachine said:
I can't believe this. I think I'm about done with Nintendo consoles. First the controller, which so far sounds gimmicky, then the GC Turbo graphics, then all these announcements of kiddy games. No this name??? WTF have Nintendo got themselves into? I thought they were serious, but more and more this new console is sounding like an absolute joke.

Some people here are really pushing it too far :lol

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Yes, they aren't serious. They are at the point where they make up stuff as they go for the heck of it. :rollseyes:

Red Scarlet

Squirrel_Lord said:
Wii. . .how is this even a name for a console? It's. . .wow.

Sadly, I was excited about the Revolution before this was announced, but after this. . .It just goes to show you a lot about Nintendo's judgement and decision making process. What a joke.

I told you you would say "wow".
iwata_mar05c.jpg

Marconelly said:
Then they will realize that at one point they may have to walk in a store and ask a clerk to sell them one wee, and then go home and play with their wee. You'd have to be pretty damn thick to be from an English speaking regions and not see the negative reference the moment you pronounce it.

Dude I'm going home to play me PeeS3, does that make me gay? Pee, PEE :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
drohne said:
and the first step is to alienate the only people who still take them seriously! take that, children! take that, developmentally stunted young men! WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

:lol :lol :lol

To say that "Wii" isn't at least somewhat alienating is to be dellusional. Nintendo needed every user it could get with its new mass-appeal strategy. Going with Wii is incomprehensible. It may be inviting upon explanation and consideration, but the initial feeling is "holy shit" and the connotation is "penis."

There are an infinite number of terms or descriptive words Nintendo could have picked to generate mass appeal. Nintendo Entertainment System is what they should have gone back to. Or Revolution System. They basically created a product that they feel appeals to everyone, designed it to appeal to everyone, and named it penis.

Hey Grandma, did you enjoy the Wii?
What now, dear?

acidviper

Banned
Can't they call it Wii in Japan and Revolution in the US. Much like famicom and NES. The Japanese can call it whatever the hell they want and we get something that we aren't emabressed to admit we own.

Kolgar

Y2Kevbug11 said:
How the hell can you compare "wii" to playstation and not feel extremely disingeuous?

Playstation is the combination of two words with clear referents in the English language...two RELEVANT referents. Play, something fun, and station, a place where you will be doing something fun. It's the perfect name. It's as descriptive and as simple and easy to say as "Entertainment System."

Xbox is literally a box with an X on it. Yes, it's neither an inventive name nor a smooth name, but it's quite a descriptive name. Xbox 360 is lame, yes, but it does have its stupid human energy/lucid dream microsoft significance.

Wii? What is a Wii? What do I do with Wii? How does the name Wii relate to the console design?

Why didn't they just call it the "Apple fellatio" since that's obviously what they are going for. Madden: Apple Fellatio iedition.

Excellent. Bears repeating.

I don't buy any justification I've heard yet for "Wii." Pass the crack pipe for sure.

edit: Maybe they can still save this by adding "NES":

Wii-NES. Weenis! :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
drohne said:
and the first step is to alienate the only people who still take them seriously! take that, children! take that, developmentally stunted young men! WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Those two demographics are busy yelling out racial slurs to eachother on Xbox live.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
PolyGone said:
guys guys they were kidding! see? they're copying the industry leader because if they're doing it, it must be right! I'm sooo glad they're not going with that whole "Wii" thing, sounds too much like wee wee!

gamecube2.gif

oh... heh... turns out this font type is called Homoarak. Homo. hee hee. hee hee hee.

So, instead of copying the videogame market leader, they copy the MP3 player market leader :lol Brilliant.

I'm still in shock. They actually came up with something worse (far worse) than even this:

nintendo_go.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Odysseus said:
But I think you'll agree that Nintendo already had a tough hill to climb, and this name didn't make that task any easier.

edit: And exactly!

Well, i dont know, i really dont know. Its hard to tell. You could say that this is a bad move now but we wont know till things actually start happening. Its hard to predict public opinion without data. We dont know if the concept of the waggle wand will sell WII name or no. I think if the system were the 360 made by nintendo without the waggle wand this would be a really stupid damning move, but because of the waggle wand i think anything and everything is up in the air until the machine proves itself in the market.

I think the iPod connection is flimsy at best. sporsk is right in that it wont really make much of a difference in the long run, but dammit, at least Dreamcast was a bastardized noun-thing, Wii is a freaking pronoun.

Beezy

underfooter said:
I'm starting to think people with small penis's are offended by the name, and therefore don't like it.

Me, having a sufficient penis, didn't associate Wii with small penis's until people on here suggested it.

:lol :lol :lol

Red Scarlet

Kolgar said:
Excellent. Bears repeating.

I don't buy any justification I've heard yet for "Wii." Pass the crack pipe for sure.

Except, you see, they probably had their turn in the sun and are no longer new things to go 'wtf?' about. Now it is this system's turn. It's completely natural when it's being introduced.

Those systems had their backlash, now it's the wii's turn.

Peru

Seems to me not many of you grasp ... ah fuck it, you're all pretty much idiots, following whatever stream is closest. Oh so you can't believe people got paid to make this name? But a Playmonolith or a Revostation you'd appreciate? Wii takes guts and it's probably one of the most extreme marketing decisions seen in the gaming industry since, well, the controller.

It will not alienate anyone.

If you believe so, you are lost, dumb, slow. Grab that marketing basics book you briefly touched when doing introduction courses at college and read through it a couple times more. Grab a history book and get some knowledge. Grab a bat and beat yourself ugly.

Revolution sounds grandose and hardly spectacular. Wii sounds silly, strange, intriguing (whatever intrigues -sexual innuendo or the short word itself) - and not in a "Gamecube"-this-is-a-toy kind of way but in a ""in"-gadget" way. It will do as much to sell the console as the consoles uniqueness itself.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
MadOdorMachine said:
I can't believe this. I think I'm about done with Nintendo consoles. First the controller, which so far sounds gimmicky, then the GC Turbo graphics, then all these announcements of kiddy games. No this name??? WTF have Nintendo got themselves into? I thought they were serious, but more and more this new console is sounding like an absolute joke.

I love how you come off as if the name was the final nail in the coffin and Nintendo just now lost your support. If you thought the controller was "gimmicky" then you weren't gonna buy the damn thing in the first place. Anyone who decides not to buy a Rev/Wii based on the new name alone is someone who was looking for an excuse not to buy it.

I'm a gamer so I hate the name but I understand that the name is irrelevant to the experience. If Nintendo has a good E3 then I'm buying a "Wii/Pee Pee/Small Penis" whatever. I want fun games but right now I don't mind laughing at the name because it is ridiculous to anyone who has been a gamer for the majority of their lives.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Red Blaster said:
I think the iPod connection is flimsy at best. sporsk is right in that it wont really make much of a difference in the long run, but dammit, at least Dreamcast was a bastardized noun-thing, Wii is a freaking pronoun.

...a pronoun that, when used as a noun (as it will have to be used in this case by definition), means "penis" to half of the world.

Anyone think we'll get the real name at E3? I mean, even Sony listened to the boomerang criticism.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Wii? What is a Wii? What do I do with Wii? How does the name Wii relate to the console design?
uh... Nintendo explained its meaning/relevancy in their mission statement at revolution.nintendo.com just as well as you explained the Playstation and Xbox names in your post. You don't have to like it, but you can't just ignore the fact that they've justified the name as sufficiently as Playstation or Xbox 360 names.

mashoutposse said:
So, instead of copying the videogame market leader, they copy the MP3 player market leader :lol Brilliant.
nintendo have stated many times that they're trying to differentiate themselves from competitors in the industry, so it really isn't much of a suprise.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Even before I was thinking of the penis jokes, I just thought that "we" sounds really fucking retarded. Sure, I'm going to get it anyway, but it's still a horrible, horrible name on it's own.

Mashing

I'd like to revist this thread in about 2 or 3 months after the Wii releases and see if anyone gives a fuck what it's called.

Besides ANY press is good press. Wether it's postive or negative it gets people talking about it.

Just think of any commercial you've seen that has no inkling of the product (or message) in it. I immediately think or say "WTF?" and your curiosity is peeked so you log on to the website posted in the commercial and learn more about the product or message being advertised. Same principle applies here.

I was earlier today, "WTF? That's stupid", but now that I've read more interviews listened to the few sane people on the forums I've started to come around to it. I think it might just work. Time can only tell.

Ben Sones

studio810 said:
And I'm totally not getting all the urine/penis jokes. Wii (we)? People are really stretching here.

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid. But while you drink, consider this: "Wii" is a homonym for "wee." It's also a homonym for "we," but since it's grammatically akward to use a subjective personal pronoun as a proper noun, I'd argue that you (and Nintendo) are the one stretching, here. Nintendo is going to have to come up with a marketing campaign just to make sure that people make the right connotation rather than the most obvious one, and that alone makes it a terrible name.

Whats up, with the other console name hate, Playstation was cool for when it came out, PS2 was a little dull but Ok, Xbox was fine(you know the unknown, Xtreme) the Xbox 360 is fine as it differinates between first and second gen, of the "box", quick and easy, Live for the online is FANTASTIC NAME, DS is ok as it refers to a MAIN function, the dual screens, Gamecube, well it was square? so I guess OK(if it wasn't purple it would be better,but at least it wasn't "Rainbow" colored) PS3....Snooze but Wii...WTF

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Peru said:
Seems to me not many of you grasp ... ah fuck it, you're all pretty much idiots, following whatever stream is closest. Oh so you can't believe people got paid to make this name? But a Playmonolith or a Revostation you'd appreciate? Wii takes guts and it's probably one of the most extreme marketing decisions seen in the gaming industry since, well, the controller.

It will not alienate anyone.

If you believe so, you are lost, dumb, slow. Grab that marketing basics book you briefly touched when doing introduction courses at college and read through it a couple times more. Grab a history book and get some knowledge. Grab a bat and beat yourself ugly.

Revolution sounds grandose and hardly spectacular. Wii sounds silly, strange, intriguing (whatever intrigues -sexual innuendo or the short word itself) - and not in a "Gamecube"-this-is-a-toy kind of way but in a ""in"-gadget" way. It will do as much to sell the console as the consoles uniqueness itself.

What about people who are insecure about their umm........small penis? The console would symbolize their shortcommings.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Since when has "wee" been slang for penis?

Show me it used that way in a goolge search. I challenge you.

Willco

Hollywood Square
All of you fuckheads justifying this name are retarded and I wrote for Nintendorks, for Christ's sake.

xaosslug

Since "Nintendo" is tacked on a lot of people might read it W.i.i as in DS, which is what I thought until I read the PR release... go for broke, Nintendo! Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

talk about being punched in the gut.

also, few people call Playstation "playstation" anymore, it's all about "PS[#here]" ...and the coolness factor remains.

radcliff

Scrow said:
uh... Nintendo explained its meaning/relevancy in their mission statement at revolution.nintendo.com just as well as you explained the Playstation and Xbox names in your post. You don't have to like it, but you can't just ignore the fact that they've justified the name as sufficiently as Playstation or Xbox 360 names.

nintendo have stated many times that they're trying to differentiate themselves from competitors in the industry, so it really isn't much of a suprise.

But Playstation didn't need a long explanation, Wii did (and does).

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Its a fucking name. Get over it. The "Its all going downhill" posts are getting stupid

Wii. . .how is this even a name for a console? It's. . .wow.

Sadly, I was excited about the Revolution before this was announced, but after this. . .It just goes to show you a lot about Nintendo's judgement and decision making process. What a joke.
Shit like this is a joke. Do you have the tendency to be over dramatic much? Seriously go back to watching days of our lives or the young and the restless.

child_slide.jpg

"Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Scrow said:

That's not what I said. I know the significance behind the name. I didn't explain the "significance" of Playstation or Xbox (although I did behind 360, but I also think that is a pretty lame name).

I pretty much showed how the denotation represented something solid in the language or in the design. Wii does neither. Wii is like PR speak.

you're all pretty much idiots

:lol Nintendo's inclusive campaign starts with the fans, everyone!

Amir0x

Banned
Mashing said:
I'd like to revist this thread in about 2 or 3 months after the Wii releases and see if anyone gives a fuck what it's called.

Of course nobody will 'give a fuck' anymore, it'll be something people just deal with and move on. None of that changes that "Wii" is the worst name ever conceived for a console. Moving on and not giving a fuck doesn't really say anything except that... it's a console name.

Mashing said:
Besides ANY press is good press. Wether it's postive or negative it gets people talking about it.

Just think of any commercial you've seen that has no inkling of the product (or message) in it. I immediately think or say "WTF?" and your curiosity is peeked so you log on to the website posted in the commercial and learn more about the product or message being advertised. Same principle applies here.

I was earlier today, "WTF? That's stupid", but now that I've read more interviews listened to the few sane people on the forums I've started to come around to it. I think it might just work. Time can only tell.

Any press is good press now? Where were you in the PSP commercial thread? Of course, press is good... IF you can translate it to your vision. If the only press is negative, and that negativity begins to become what people associate with your product... then yes, bad press can be bad.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Willco said:
All of you fuckheads justifying this name are retarded and I wrote for Nintendorks, for Christ's sake.
Show me a single CEO from a major marketing firm that thinks this brandname is a bad idea. Just one. I dare you.

The fact that the majority of people immediately jump to a single image in their mind when they hear the name proves that the name is terrible.

Unbelivable!!! They must have some serious games to make a balls-up stupid manuever like this.

No way i can walk into a store and ask for that - online ordering FTW!

Willco

Hollywood Square
Gahiggidy said:
Show me a single CEO from a major marketing firm that thinks this brandname is a bad idea. Just one. I dare you.

Show me a single retarded fanboy that isn't retarded. Just one. I dare you.

neoanarch

underfooter said:

I didn't think penis or pee

I tought about "wi-fi", I was really confuseD as to why they took out the "f" in wifi

birdchili

Gahiggidy said:
Since when has "wee" been slang for penis?

Show me it used that way in a goolge search. I challenge you.

"pee wee", "wee wee", "weiner"... yup... no examples of "wee"

of course... i'd sure understand the implication if you used it that way.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Amir0x said:
Of course nobody will 'give a fuck' anymore, it'll be something people just deal with and move on. None of that changes that "Wii" is the worst name ever conceived for a console. Moving on and not giving a fuck doesn't really say anything except that... it's a console name.

Any press is good press now? Where were you in the PSP commercial thread? Of course, press is good... IF you can translate it to your vision. If the only press is negative, and that negativity begins to become what people associate with your product... then yes, bad press can be bad.
mother 4 for wii...that hurt to type out :'(

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Scrow said:

The name should at least vaguely hint at whatever the heck the customer is being asked to buy. XBOX, iPod, Game Boy, etc... these sound like tangible products. The fuck is a Wii? A good name doesn't need to be accompanied with a press release and a 500 word essay for explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom