• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
holy shit.. Wii broke neoGAF, or at least seriously slowed it down...

and is it too early to proclaim this the best thread of 2006?

Thank you nintendo

and for the record again, I love it. fuck all that pretentiousness. PlayStation3. XBox360. Welcome to Wii. The only console that doesn't need to be abbreviated.

sriyantra

is there a chance this if for Japan only? SURELY...

NOA aren't that stupid.

I remember when i first heard the dreamcast name... and how stupid and clumsy it sounded. Wii is just embarassing.

snatches

moorewhat5di.gif

RaidenZR

Wow, you guys are ridiculous. I don't see the problem here. It's just a name and it's better than claiming "REVOLUTION" and being chastised in forums for not delivering on that.

Oh, wait... that's already happened.

This is the Last Test for the Nintendo Rapture.

If you can force yourself to say that you like this name, you may ascend to the Mushroom Kingdom and sit at the right hand of Miyamoto.

Rejoice!

Believe!

ziran

Introducing… Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer.

Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else.

Wii will put people more in touch with their games… and each other. But you’re probably asking:

What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasises this console is for everyone.

Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play.

And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that’s Wii. But now Nintendo needs you.

Because, it’s really not about you or me.

It’s about Wii.

And together, Wii will change everything.
:lol :lol :lol

It's just like the scene in Life of Brian about 'my friend BIGGUS DICKUS and his wife INCONTINENTIA BUTTOCKS'! :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol

edit - The name of the swf movie file is... wii_teaser!!! :lol :lol :lol

sriyantra

NOA aren't that stupid.

I remember when i first heard the dreamcast name... and how stupid and clumsy it sounded. Wii is just stupid.

You people overreact constantly.

1998: "DREAMCAST? That's the gayest name ever. I'm gonna keep calling it Katana!"

2000: "GAMECUBE?? What a faggy, blocky name! I'm gonna call it Dolphin, because that's much less faggy!"

2006: "Wii!? Oh my God, I can't handle it. It's just Revolution for me!"

etc

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
sriyantra said:

NOA aren't that stupid.

I remember when i first heard the dreamcast name... and how stupid and clumsy it sounded. Wii is just embarassing.
SCREW YOU! how long have you been gaming, for like 30 days now? NOBODY PUTS DC IN A CORNER! NOBODY!

j/k.. but seriously, I thought everyone pretty much loved the DC name. :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Well, just told the girlfriend who isn't much of a gamer besides the odd bout of Animal Crossing and Nintendogs.. the same market Nintendo has been penetrating since the DS unveiled.

She thinks it sounds cool. Guessing Nintendo's naming strategy has somehow worked, don't associate it with a typical "gaming console" name.

Snaku

Banned
I love the concept behind the name, but it's going to take years of marketing to teach people how to pronounce the name properly. :lol Not exactly the smartest move Nintendo, not the smartest move.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Oh, who am I kidding.

Of course I laughed. Of course the name is stupid.

However... I like what Nintendo is trying to do here.
I like the concept.

It'll do huuuge in Japan, and American's will scoff and scoff.... like I did ....

till they realize that a Revolution By Any Other Name Plays Just As Great

... and it's new.

So, I like it. It'll sell millions.

I just don't want to have to pronounce it to people in public...

borghe said:
I like it. seriously

Genesis
Playstation
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
XBox
Gamecube
Sega Saturn
Gameboy

finally a system that isn't named so fucking seriously/literally.

BRING ON Wii!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I share the same opinion

ghostmind

*Sees kid with his Mom leaving BB at launch with the new Nintendo console - "Hey little dude, can I see your Wii?" - hilarity ensues...*

Ponn

Banned
Oh god, I just thought about it, this gets much much worse...

Super Mario Wii

The Legend of Zelda Wii

Dragonball Z Budokai Wii

Spongebob Wii

Red Steel Wii

Bob Ross Wii

snatches

Nintendo should go on a massive ad push to rebrand the term "gamer"

From now on, I would like to be known as a "wiiner"

OH SHIT THIS IS JUST PRICELESS

worldrunover said:

1998: "DREAMCAST? That's the gayest name ever. I'm gonna keep calling it Katana!"

2000: "GAMECUBE?? What a faggy, blocky name! I'm gonna call it Dolphin, because that's much less faggy!"

etc
I guess you're right.
It was exactly the same with xbox, xbox 360 and DS...
Let's wait two or three weeks so we can say the name like it always exists.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Wait, so is this just the name in Asia or is it worldwide? If Santa is real, I pray that the West gets a different name...

cvxfreak

Everyone email the major publications and tell them to laugh their asses off at the E3 conference!

Oh man Nintendo must change it. Wii is just too weird.

jacomar

Neo Member
DefectiveReject said:
Its We As in you and i

when i first went into the page i did not see anything and i was relieved... but after seen it i am not

but as far as i remember the name gamecube was also not well received, at least in the spanish forum i used to read

Taker666

worldrunover said:

etc

Yes but at least those don't sound like another word for urine.

Look at it this way:
1. When typing, you never have to shorten it. No "GC" or "PS", it's just Wii.
2. There's one more lowercase i than any single Apple product, which makes it better automatically.
3. Your friends and reletives will never confuse it with long, hackneyed names like "PlayStation" or "Xbox" when buying you gifts.

Embrace the Wii!

Sony are litterally laughing their arses off. SCEE actually had an internal competition to guess what the name would be as they knew it would be unveiled today. Well, I don't think anyone did guess right, but I don't think anyone in the world could have guessed this awful name. I demand they change it......but that's probably not gonna happen.

jenov4

Guys, we'll come back to this thread in a few years and realize how wrong we were for mocking the the Nintendo wii.

... who am i kididng eh?

SuperPac

Tamashii Sensei said:
It's starting to slowly grow on me, but come on... "Wii"?

You will say "Wheeeeeeeee!"

sriyantra said:

NOA aren't that stupid.

Doesn't appear to be Japan-only. It's a good thing they're getting the initial reaction to the name out now, because this would be a bitter pill to swallow come E3 press conference. People would get too hung up on the name. On first impression it's embarrassing, clumsy, silly and completely fairy-like, but it has a certain potential where it could become iconic like iPod *IF* (and this is a big IF) the system catches on.

I didn't like "DS" when I first heard it either.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Speevy said:
This is something you just DON'T WANT TO SAY.
Afraid to be laughed at are we? I thought we got over this stage once school finished.

Ponn01 said:
Oh god, I just thought about it, this gets much much worse... Super Mario Wii, etc etc
Thankfully Nintendo haven't been doing that for consoles since the N64. If anything can come close to being termed "such-and-such GC" on the GameCube, it'd be F-Zero GX.

snatches

Iwata een bom zal droppen

SPANUUUUUUUUUUUUND!!!1!!!1!!

The PR is magical though....

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates video players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games.. and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?
Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.
Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd. So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's not really about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

dyls

Think about it though,

'Women can finally know the feeling of urinating standing up, using the patented "Wii-wii wand", with force feedback for realistic dripping action.'

Someone with better photoshopping skills than I make this happen.

Kabouter

This just in, Nintendo has hired a new spokesman
ernie.jpg

The spokesman commented on the news by saying "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom