• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
worldrunover said:
You people overreact constantly.

1998: "DREAMCAST? That's the gayest name ever. I'm gonna keep calling it Katana!"

2000: "GAMECUBE?? What a faggy, blocky name! I'm gonna call it Dolphin, because that's much less faggy!"

2006: "Wii!? Oh my God, I can't handle it. It's just Revolution for me!"

etc

Innappropriate precedent, my friend. The first two are made up of human words.

At least we can be sure it will launch in Yellow.

Golden Showers Limited Edition FTW!

revolutioncolors.jpg

Thai

Bane was better.
well, things seem to be a bit better now but it took like 10 minutes to load this stupid page.

wi!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

snatches

GAF AM ROSEBUDDED

SERVERS AM CRY

Seriously, I couldn't log on for 20 minutes and it looks like this thread hit the brakes.

Mason

I like the concept behind the name but the "ee" sound is a bit weird I think. Makes it comical to say aloud.

Honestly, I'm already starting to like it, though.

It's obvious they're going after the "I, Me, Mine" concept like the "i" line Apple has with "iPod, iMac, etc" and the minimalistic design.

Koshiro

This is very definitely a Japanese name that will sound utterly... wtf at first.

However, it IS much better than Xbox 360 (wtf), and it WILL burn into the back of your skull before long. Remember when you first heard PlayStation? Yeah.

This is strikingly Apple in presentation though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I like the look of it more than I like the sound of it. Visually the logo is nice, but the sound..

Also, don't shoot me, but someone on another board suggested this name for Wii fans..

Wii-ners

Sorry....:eek:

aparisi2274

there seriously has to be something else to the name...

Those ii's have to mean something important to the system... perhaps secrets yet to be revealed...

You dont just come up with a name like that, and have the Wii not mean something more significant..

Lets wait till e3 to see if nintendo explains it...

I mean when we all first heard of ds, and not knowing yet that it had 2 screens we all went nutty with hatred toward nintendo, and now look at the system

Good lord, if the announcement of the new Rev name has brought GAF to it's knees, what the hell is going to happen during E3?!?!

I blame all the new Junior Members! ;)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Jesus Christ....I'm on Wifi at my college and couldn't log on for like damn near 25 minutes...

What the hell is going to happen at E3?

And...LOL WIIIII!IIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!

Prospero

If a piece of news like this pretty much crashes NeoGAF, then I'll resign myself to getting a one-shot summary of news after E3.

Also--yes, that name is terrible. With "Gamecube" at least you knew what you were getting--a cube(-like object) that played games.

Paging Drinky.....Why the fuck did Monorojo have to get banned now. Him and Drinky tag teaming this thread would immidiately destine it for the archives...as if it wasn't already:lol

Leatherface

This name reminds me of the "Rooty Tooty fresh and Fruity" breakfest campaign Ihop ran some years ago. :lol

Who the hell wants to call it a "wee" ?!:lol

My ass is sticking with Revolution. Join me. We can beat this and make a difference!

My initial reaction was "what the fuck?", but I actually do think that this will probably catch on over time. I can't say I'm surprised that the initial reaction is so overwhelmingly negative, though.

OK guys - get all the jokes out of your system, sleep on it for a couple of nights as we did, and then realise that it's a memorable, unique name that is unusual for a games machine - but that's the whole point.

It'll grow on you, trust me.

Jiggy

1) This is Nintendo's stupidest decision in twenty years. It's like they want to continue losing to Sony in the home console field.

2) Nintendo Go would have been infinitely superior.

3) Nintendo WI, WII, or Wi would have been infinitely superior. Despite being lame titles too.

4) They had better change the name in every English-speaking country, at the very least.

5) Alternatively, I say bomb them with fan backlash. Someone eventually noticed the problem with the "Touch Dic" DS software and that was never even aimed at English-speaking audiences, so maybe it can do something. I hope. :( Because, seriously...

6) ...I'm not buying one now until SSB is released. I'd rather re-buy Super Princess Peach and DDR Mario Mix at the same time in front of a pretty female cashier than have to explain the "Nintendo Wii."

Doesn't Mario, Warrior, Waluigi make a wheeeeeeee noise in their games? I could see that being the logo noise when you boot up the console.

no angel

just heard this on radio one, you've got to be shitting me? i liked revolution, what was wrong with that as a name?wii is awful, just plain awful.

Amir0x

Banned
aparisi2274 said:
there seriously has to be something else to the name...

Those ii's have to mean something important to the system... perhaps secrets yet to be revealed...

You dont just come up with a name like that, and have the Wii not mean something more significant..

Lets wait till e3 to see if nintendo explains it...

It doesn't matter if Nintendo 'explains' it, it sounds dumb and that can never change.

But they already explained it as well, so no problems - "ii" represents the wagglewands, "Wii" is "We" as in "We come together to play."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom