• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Symphony Album global digital release on 23rd February (physical CD later)

Zhao_Yun

news_release_date_g.jpg

UPDATE 2: Square Enix announced that they will release an Audio Blu-Ray of the concert on the 16th of September 2015: http://www.spielemusikkonzerte.de/e...phony-audio-blu-ray-to-launch-this-september/

UPDATE: Album is available on itunes now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/final-symphony-music-from/id965183547?ls=1

I don't know how many Gaffers are interested in this but the latest concert production from Thomas Böcker "Final Symphony - Music from Final Fantasy VI, VII and X" is finally getting an album release!

The waiting is almost over for Final Fantasy music fans! The brand new Final Symphony album, performed by the London Symphony Orchestra and recorded at the world-famous Abbey Road Studios, is set for a global, digital release on February 23.

http://www.spielemusikkonzerte.de/e...ungstermin-von-final-symphony-bekanntgegeben/

Pricing for the digital version will be $9.99 / €8.99 / £7.99.

Full Tracklist

1. Fantasy Overture (Circle within a Circle within a Circle) [04:08]

2. Final Fantasy VI (Symphonic Poem: Born with the Gift of Magic)[18:07]

3. Final Fantasy X (Piano Concerto) [19:14]

I. Zanarkand
II. Inori
III. Kessen

4. Encore: Final Fantasy X (Suteki Da Ne) [03:43]

5. Final Fantasy VII (Symphony in Three Movements) [41:26]

I. Nibelheim Incident
II. Words Drowned by Fireworks
III. The Planet's Crisis

6. Encore: Final Fantasy VII (Continue?) [04:35]

7. Encore: Final Fantasy Series (Fight, Fight, Fight!) [03:17]

They already confirmed via Twitter that they are planning a physical CD release as well later this year but wanted to ensure a simultaneous worldwide release first by releasing it digitally.

https://twitter.com/vgmconcerts/status/565902822282391552 (Tweet is in German)

A few months ago they also uploaded a video of the whole Symphonic Poem of Final Fantasy VI, so check it out if you are not sure what to expect from the whole album.

For those who are new to Thomas Böcker's productions it is worth noting that his concerts typically try to rearrange video game music as close to classical music as possible, opposite to most other concert series which mainly rely on arrangements which stick very close to the source material. Before producing Final Symphony he also produced the critical acclaimed Symphonic Fantasies, Symphony Legends and Symphonic Odysseys.

I had the pleasure of attending the premiere in Wuppertal 2 years ago and I consider it to be one of the best VGM concerts ever produced!

For more information see the official website: http://www.spielemusikkonzerte.de/en/konzerte/final-symphony/ or check out RPGfan's interview with Thomas Böcker: http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Final_Symphony_Interview/index.html

What's different sound wise from Final Symphony vs the Distant World concerts?

As the OP mentioned, these use the themes and music from final fantasy (and other games) but arrange them in the classical style. You don't get a 4 minute transcribed version of "Aeris's theme" but rather a Symphony, Concerto, Symphonic Suite, etc. that uses the music to make a cohesive product.

They're much better, more ambitious and much more exciting than when they're doing with the Distant Worlds concerts.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I highly recommend this to any fan of the Final Fantasy games. Especially the FF7 part, it's really, really good. But it's not something you'd listen to on the side.

It's less "playing the same themes just with an orchestra" and more "retelling the games through its musical themes".

Zhao_Yun

The Distant Worlds concerts normally use arrangements which try to stick as close to the original as possible. With Final Symphony (and other former concerts like Symphonic Fantasies), the arrangers tried to use a more classical approach by using different themes from the games to create something like a classical piano concerto or a classical symphony. Check out the FFVI video I linked, to get a better picture of this work: http://rspoplay.com/#DcYk7tk9fdSiKvNw_aykcw

edit: for those who prefer YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJi5QSxJbw

spunodi

As the OP mentioned, these use the themes and music from final fantasy (and other games) but arrange them in the classical style. You don't get a 4 minute transcribed version of "Aeris's theme" but rather a Symphony, Concerto, Symphonic Suite, etc. that uses the music to make a cohesive product.

They're much better, more ambitious and much more exciting than when they're doing with the Distant Worlds concerts.

I think that's incredibly subjective though perhaps it may be true from a music theorist's standpoint. Whilst I enjoy both interpretations (arranged individual themes vs. classical styles), focus on individual themes seems to have more of a resonance for me than the constant troughs and peaks in flow that classic performances seem to have in spades.

On reflection I imagine that's the link between music and mood; individual themes have their own character and may suit, enhance or change a mood deliberately whereas classical styles tend to move between moods in a more varied sense.

(Note: Not a musician, merely a consumer)

I think that's incrtedibly subjective though perhaps it may be true from a music theorist's standpoint. Whilst I enjoy both interpretations (arranged individual themes vs. classical styles), focus on individual themes seems to have more of a resonance for me than the constant troughs and peaks in flow that classic performances seem to have in spades.

On reflection I imagine that's the link between music and mood; individual themes have their own character and may suit, enhance or change a mood deliberately whereas classical styles tend to move between moods in a more varied sense.

(Note: Not a musician, merely a consumer)

It is subjective. I'm not faulting people if they enjoy the Distant Worlds concerts more. I do enjoy the DW themes and they are very easy to listen to and can evoke a strong emotional response or nostalgic memory. To the detriment of the Böcker series, the symphonic arrangements ARE much less accessible, and sometimes are abject failures (see about half of the arrangements and suites from the Nintendo Symphonic Legends concert).

Having said, that a couple points that I think are important:
- VG music is now at a point where orchestration is the norm. This means that the days of excitement of hearing an 8-bit or 16-bit piece now in full orchestral bloom is lessened (which for me was one of the exciting things when these concerts started 20 some-odd years ago).
- The DW concerts have grown stale IMO. I went to one about 4 years ago and went to the Chicago one last year where they were promoting orchestrations of FF6. While this was true, the pieces were otherwise the same ones I've heard and even the FF6 portion was still a rather large disappointment as they stayed safe (Tina/Terra, Opera) with only a few really intriguing pieces (the Uematsu lead Dark World for instance). Even the character medley was I think 3-4 characters total? All they had to do was transcribe the FF6 character roll to orchestration and it would've been a huge hit.
- As some have mentioned, the Böcker series really tries to elevate(for the sake of a better word) the video game music. It tries to take an approach to use these iconic themes and weave them into the known musical language. This again excites me that they'd even attempt to do this, and while again these don't always hit, when they do I think it's great for video game music and classical music as a whole. The Final Fantasy Concerto in 3 movements is still a phenomenal piece of music, by any stretch.

I do come at this from a consumer standpoint but a musician standpoint too, and I think that what Böcker is trying to do really is quite impressive and commendable.

spunodi

It is subjective. I'm not faulting people if they enjoy the Distant Worlds concerts more. I do enjoy the DW themes and they are very easy to listen to and can evoke a strong emotional response or nostalgic memory. To the detriment of the Böcker series, the symphonic arrangements ARE much less accessible, and sometimes are abject failures (see about half of the arrangements and suites from the Nintendo Symphonic Legends concert).

Having said, that a couple points that I think are important:
- VG music is now at a point where orchestration is the norm. This means that the days of excitement of hearing an 8-bit or 16-bit piece now in full orchestral bloom is lessened (which for me was one of the exciting things when these concerts started 20 some-odd years ago).
- The DW concerts have grown stale IMO. I went to one about 4 years ago and went to the Chicago one last year where they were promoting orchestrations of FF6. While this was true, the pieces were otherwise the same ones I've heard and even the FF6 portion was still a rather large disappointment as they stayed safe (Tina/Terra, Opera) with only a few really intriguing pieces (the Uematsu lead Dark World for instance). Even the character medley was I think 3-4 characters total? All they had to do was transcribe the FF6 character roll to orchestration and it would've been a huge hit.
- As some have mentioned, the Böcker series really tries to elevate(for the sake of a better word) the video game music. It tries to take an approach to use these iconic themes and weave them into the known musical language. This again excites me that they'd even attempt to do this, and while again these don't always hit, when they do I think it's great for video game music and classical music as a whole. The Final Fantasy 6 Concerto in 3 movements is still a phenomenal piece of music, by any stretch.

I do come at this from a consumer standpoint but a musician standpoint too, and I think that what Böcker is trying to do really is quite impressive and commendable.

Interesting points. I think it is true that I prefer the orcestrations of what were traditionally chip generated music rather than those which were orchestral to begin with and some risk taking is to be commended.

Still, I find that whilst the highs with the risk taking are higher, the lows are much more disheartening.

Zhao_Yun

As IAmtheFMan already pointed out I don't think that anyone here would say that only these classical style VGM concerts are worth producing nowadays. Although I am huge fan of Böckers productions I like to listen to the straight arrangements of the DW concerts as well since they are very easy to listen to. Both types have a right to exist and it is great that we are at a point where both approaches are possible.

I just find the approach of Böcker to be very praiseworthy since they are taking risks in order to create something new. People who just want to listen to the orchestrated versions could easily feel disappointed when listening to those long pieces but nevertheless they went through with them and the results are mostly spectacular.

Concert series like DW won't vanish in the near future since there will always be fans of FF music around the world. Concerts like Final Symphony are certainly not for everyone although I haven't heard any negative receptions from the people who attended the concerts. I just want to keep supporting them since I want to show them that taking those risks is worthwhile even if it doesn't always work out :)

- As some have mentioned, the Böcker series really tries to elevate(for the sake of a better word) the video game music. It tries to take an approach to use these iconic themes and weave them into the known musical language. This again excites me that they'd even attempt to do this, and while again these don't always hit, when they do I think it's great for video game music and classical music as a whole. The Final Fantasy 6 Concerto in 3 movements is still a phenomenal piece of music, by any stretch.

It's actually a Final Fantasy I - VI concerto! The 2nd movement featuring Boundless Ocean (FFIII) and Celes Theme (FFVI) is so beautiful. I still get goosebumps listening to this.

Magnus

The Symphonic series of concerts crush the Distant Worlds series in scope, complexity and overall quality in my opinion. I agree with the sentiments from some in this thread that DW has become stale.

I didn't realize so many of the Symphonic series of concerts are available on Youtube....this FFVI concerto from 2011 is ridiculously amazing. I'm getting goosebumps listening to this. So good.

Zhao_Yun

The Symphonic series of concerts crush the Distant Worlds series in scope, complexity and overall quality in my opinion. I agree with the sentiments from some in this thread that DW has become stale.

I didn't realize so many of the Symphonic series of concerts are available on Youtube....this FFVI concerto from 2011 is ridiculously amazing. I'm getting goosebumps listening to this. So good.

Symphonic Fantasies, Symphonic Legends and Symphonic Odysseys were completely livestreamed which is why you can find so much footage of the concerts on Youtube.

Magnus

Symphonic Fantasies, Symphonic Legends and Symphonic Odysseys were completely livestreamed which is why you can find so much footage of the concerts on Youtube.

I remember livestreaming the first one. The Chrono one...goddamn....

WTB all of this in a bluray format. I'm glad it's all mastered on CD/digital for better quality than the Youtube vids afford, but I really want this in a concert video style in top quality.

Magnus

Oh man. I had no idea about A New World, a new 'intimate' series of concerts from the DW producers. Some of this stuff is great!

http://ffnewworld.com/#repertoire

Listen to the FFX Fight With Seymour rearrangement there. It's so much easier and more pleasant to listen to than the original (which really gets grating fast). This is beautiful.

edit-

JFC....this is amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJi5QSxJbw

FFVI suite, Born With the Gift of Magic. Brilliant!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Full track listing (including the encores):
1. Fantasy Overture (Circle within a Circle within a Circle) [04:08]

2. Final Fantasy VI (Symphonic Poem: Born with the Gift of Magic)[18:07]

3. Final Fantasy X (Piano Concerto) [19:14]

I. Zanarkand
II. Inori
III. Kessen

4. Encore: Final Fantasy X (Suteki Da Ne) [03:43]

5. Final Fantasy VII (Symphony in Three Movements) [41:26]

I. Nibelheim Incident
II. Words Drowned by Fireworks
III. The Planet's Crisis

6. Encore: Final Fantasy VII (Continue?) [04:35]

7. Encore: Final Fantasy Series (Fight, Fight, Fight!) [03:17]

More details here.

Zhao_Yun

Cool, I didn't think that they would new encores to the CD. Afaik the new Suteki da Ne arrangement has been performed once in Finland already but the Fight Fight Fight Suite seems to be completely new. They excluded the 2nd encore they played at Wuppertal though (FFVI: Decisive Battle + Mog's Theme)

Thoraxes

Holy fuck at the Hamauzu involvement.

I'll pay any money to get this. I wonder if they're based off the piano arrangements or if they're scored closer to the originals.

Either way, the piano writing is sure to be perfect and the arrangement will be top-tier for sure. Usually he's stuck with smaller chamber groups for arrangements like this (likely for ease of performance and performer gathering) so it's refreshing to see this opportunity.

SoulFist

Absolutely loved their previous arrangements. Can't wait to get this. I highly recommend checking out the Chrono Trigger/ Chrono Cross arrangement they've done.

Zhao_Yun

Holy fuck at the Hamauzu involvement.

I'll pay any money to get this. I wonder if they're based off the piano arrangements or if they're scored closer to the originals.

Either way, the piano writing is sure to be perfect and the arrangement will be top-tier for sure. Usually he's stuck with smaller chamber groups for arrangements like this (likely for ease of performance and performer gathering) so it's refreshing to see this opportunity.

If you wanted to take a look at the FFX arrangement you could listen to the LQ Concert recording. Otherwise just wait for a better version once the CD comes out ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhwJWCTm-YY

NateDog

Sorry if I've completely misread the OP but where can I order it from? Does it have to come straight from Germany?

jett

D-Member
Great news. The FFVI Symphonic Poem is absolutely godly and probably the best video game orchestral arrangement ever made.

Falk

that puzzling face
This has shaped up to become possibly the greatest thing related to Squaresoft/Square Enix that has ever been put on a single CD.

Lazlo

It's worth $10 for "Born with the gift of magic" alone!

Having been to many of the Distant Worlds concerts I won't say I haven't enjoyed them, but like IAmtheFMan said the arrangements are very "safe" where as these concerts are new, more complex and feature a wider range of the themes heard in the games.

Definitely going to order a physical copy and I hope they release a bluray of the concerts as well. If you are a fan of this music you should really drop a few bucks to support these productions.

Atwa

Banned
I watched this live, I thought some sections were really well made, others they took a bit too much liberty with. The original is still the best.

Significantly preferred Uematsu's own tour last year, saw that too and it was incredible.

jb1234

Going to listen to this a little later today. I appreciate long-form arrangements like this because it's one step closer to introducing people to classical music. If people can handle and absorb a forty minute Final Fantasy VII symphony, Beethoven can't be too hard, right?

Phatcorns

Just downloaded. If you're on Neogaf and you like game music at all, this is a no brainer. Support stuff like this because musically there's nothing else like this and it's a miracle it's being made at all.

I'm even digging the original composition for the main theme. Has a ff6 vibe to it.

Fox1304

That's amazing. Where can I get it digitally on the best format ? FLAC 24bits and such. Is it only on iTunes for now ? I don't want to "ruin" the first listen on some lossy formats :)

Thoraxes

This is all fucking amazing.

The FFX Piano Concerto is the clear standout to me. Simply stunning arrangement that is transformed and iterated upon perfectly for orchestra in every way imaginable. Massive upgrades and re-imaginings of all the music to this format were done flawlessly with outstanding performances all around. The pianist did an outstanding job, the balance was perfect, and the piano part itself was simply sublime writing that was perfectly idiomatic and showcased perfectly in tandem with the orchestra.

If you are musically trained, you definitely stand to gain the most out of listening to this album and being able to understand and appreciate all of the nuance all of the arrangements provide.

Another outstanding moment was the One-Winged Angel starting section (the first time around). The timbre for the strings at the start of that section is so harsh, dry, and higher in register which really brings out the terror the theme is supposed to incite perfectly.

Buy this!

Celegus

Oddly enough it doesn't appear on the schedule (I assume it was after Noah - Make Thee an Ark).

It seems the listen again isn't up on Classic FM anymore so I can't verify for myself.

They actually only played Aeris's Theme on the Classic FM show. Talked about it for 2 hours and then played 5 minutes of the album. Not that I really minded, I listen to classical stations most of the time regardless.

Nikokuno

Just downloaded. If you're on Neogaf and you like game music at all, this is a no brainer. Support stuff like this because musically there's nothing else like this and it's a miracle it's being made at all.

I'm even digging the original composition for the main theme. Has a ff6 vibe to it.

iTunes version is the master one, but I prefer to not be link to Apple ecosystem even if it's lossless... .flac all the way.

jb1234

Definitely one of the best orchestral arrangements of this music I've heard. The FFX Piano Concerto is especially impressive and I wish I could get my hands on the sheet music to it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Definitely one of the best orchestral arrangements of this music I've heard. The FFX Piano Concerto is especially impressive and I wish I could get my hands on the sheet music to it.

transcribe it by ear

YOU CAN DO IT

(then share the transcription)

Top Bottom