• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally I've realized...Kingdom Hearts is not very good.

Petrae

Konvoluted Hearts could have been cool. The Disney/Square crossover idea held the biggest appeal, and combat system is fairly straightforward. I think the visuals and sound are great, and having many of the original Disney voice actors is a nice touch.

BUT OH MY GOD WHAT EVEN IS THIS STORY ABOUT?

PhDs in Literature couldn’t explain what the fuck is going on here, let alone trying to get the Cliff’s Notes version for the average person to comprehend. I can only imagine the horrors of having to write a dissertation on the Kingdom Hearts story. It would drive me clinically insane.

I mean, I’ll play KH3, because HOLY SHIT IT’S REALLY COMING OUT, but I’m not going to bother trying to catch up on or understand the previous game’s stories. That’s like homework, and there’s a lot of other things I enjoy more than homework.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Konvoluted Hearts could have been cool. The Disney/Square crossover idea held the biggest appeal, and combat system is fairly straightforward. I think the visuals and sound are great, and having many of the original Disney voice actors is a nice touch.

PhDs in Literature couldn’t explain what the fuck is going on here, let alone trying to get the Cliff’s Notes version for the average person to comprehend. I can only imagine the horrors of having to write a dissertation on the Kingdom Hearts story. It would drive me clinically insane.

I mean, I’ll play KH3, because HOLY SHIT IT’S REALLY COMING OUT, but I’m not going to bother trying to catch up on or understand the previous game’s stories. That’s like homework, and there’s a lot of other things I enjoy more than homework.

Never understood this idea that the games are "confusing", outside of Dream Drop Distance. Played each of them when they released and I easily followed along with the plot. It is even easier now when you have the "complete" collection that you can buy and play on the PS4.

Also, Everglow has a fantastic youtube series about the franchise:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Never understood this idea that the games are "confusing", outside of Dream Drop Distance. Played each of them when they released and I easily followed along with the plot.
That’s exactly what I did and played each of them as they got released, just like I would do for any other game with continuous story, that simple. But I guess that’s too much for some people.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That’s exactly what I did and played each of them as they got released, just like i would for any other game, that simple. But I guess that’s too much for some people.

I can understand if they skip over games, like how people skipped CoM between 1 and 2. However, that really isn't much of an excuse anymore. You can easily play all the games (outside of the phone game, but that so far has been devoid of any major story that I have seen after 50 hours of playing) on a single console. Not to mention all the fantastic youtubers out there that have put together series and videos to teach people the story when they are too lazy to play the games.

Danjin44

I can understand if they skip over games, like how people skipped CoM between 1 and 2. However, that really isn't much of an excuse anymore. You can easily play all the games (outside of the phone game, but that so far has been devoid of any major story that I have seen after 50 hours of playing) on a single console. Not to mention all the fantastic youtubers out there that have put together series and videos to teach people the story when they are too lazy to play the games.
They just want to jump straight in middle of continuous story and expect to fully understand it and if they can’t they complain the story is “confusing”. I bet you anything 90% mainstream reviewers also didn’t play the pervious game or only play one or two of them but they gonna complain about how “confusing” the story for KH3 is.

Last edited:

PrCat88

you can insist on they are "spin offs" but they are not. Kingdom Hearts 3 is sequel to Dream Drop Distance rather than KH2. Also Star war and Marvel can stay fuck away from KH series, I hate those two series as much as Minions.
I had no idea I needed to follow after *Dream Drop Distance*. I just thought that was initially a 3DS title to throw a Kingdom Hearts experience on the Nintendo handheld. I don't know if I could ever forgive myself now for thinking Kingdom Hearts 3 should have followed Kingdom Hearts 2.

It's also weird you think Marvel should stay away from the game when we have a level dedicated to Big Hero 6. But I guess exceptions may apply with fanboy logic. All I'm saying is I'd rather see levels based on new Disney properties I'm more invested in at the moment. Sure, Tangled may be a fun level. May even be the best. But the idea of Sora with a keyblade lightsaber helping Han Solo intrigues me more.

OldGamer

Playing KIngdom Hearts 2 for the first time now, and I just can't get over how glacial the prologue was. I can follow the story easily, its just.....not all that interesting. Of course, I assume I will enjoy it more once I get more into the game and a bigger variety of moves, but 5 hours in is already taking its toll. Not least of which is seeing the return of that stupid Gummi ship.

Creating characters/narratives in other companies' worlds has never been Square's strong suit. Mario RPG would have went off the rails without Miyamoto's guidance.

I remember liking the KH games when I was in High School, but I remember some parts were so frustrating. I recently watched a play through on Twitch and I can’t see myself putting up with this series anymore. I am fully on board “Kingdom Hearts is bad”. It now seems totally tedious and overly complicated for no apparent reason. My memories of the game had some rose colored tints to them for sure.

What fascinates me about kingdom hearts series is the voice acting, how they are able to still be those characters despite the incredible awkward dialog taking place seems to be worth recognition. As soon as malificent and jafar talks about a boy with a Big key and Kairi’s Heart without Breaking character is kind admirable. Despite the crinch.

Geki-D

Banned
What fascinates me about kingdom hearts series is the voice acting, how they are able to still be those characters despite the incredible awkward dialog taking place seems to be worth recognition. As soon as malificent and jafar talks about a boy with a Big key and Kairi’s Heart without Breaking character is kind admirable. Despite the crinch.
The voice actors they get in is impressive. They actually have all of the original Frozen cast for KH3, for instance.
I am fully on board “Kingdom Hearts is bad”. It now seems totally tedious and overly complicated for no apparent reason.
I never played them back in the day so for KH3 I'm going through them. 1 & 2 are decent (Chain of Memories being a low point right now) but they really feel their age. They have PS2 era level design & gamplay design oozing out of every pore. I can understand why someone would have thought they were good back in the day but now just can't get their head around them.

I'm not saying they're bad games (besides Chain of Memories, seriously fuck that game) but a fine, aged wine they ain't.

Fake

I never being a fan in the start, until I learn about the Organization (playing on DS. thx 358/2 for that) with imo are the best aspect of the game besides Disney chars. After that I being looking foward the previews series like KH1, KH reChain, KH2.
Birth by Sleep plot too. I really really liked that game. My favorite KH.

Last edited:

OldGamer

After actually getting to the meat of KH2, I am actually starting to enjoy the game. Though I am quick to notice that magic has been heavily nerfed. The level design is an improvement. Though there is a curious preoccupation with minigames in this one and additional micromanaging that turns me off

It's also facinating to me and one of the reasons I don't mind not being able to play the native Japanese language. It seems they did some better voice work in KH2 than KH1. Some are clearly soundalikes because the originals are probably too busy/expensive or dead, but otherwise the novelty there is strong.

Goofy's and Pete's voices in particular amuse me given the material that is scripted.

I never played them back in the day so for KH3 I'm going through them. 1 & 2 are decent (Chain of Memories being a low point right now) but they really feel their age. They have PS2 era level design & gamplay design oozing out of every pore. I can understand why someone would have thought they were good back in the day but now just can't get their head around them.

I'm not saying they're bad games (besides Chain of Memories, seriously fuck that game) but a fine, aged wine they ain't.

KH2 seems to age better, but still bugs me. Particularly the heavy dose of minigames and I think the games may have been better off if they weren't so heavily reliant on defeating swarms of enemies. Although larger, more populated worlds and less zoning would also help. Here's hoping KH3 delivers and doesn't feel like a dinosaur.,

Danjin44

KH2 seems to age better, but still bugs me. Particularly the heavy dose of minigames and I think the games may have been better off if they weren't so heavily reliant on defeating swarms of enemies. Although larger, more populated worlds and less zoning would also help. Here's hoping KH3 delivers and doesn't feel like a dinosaur.,
If you watched the "Final Battle" Trailer you see Sora is dancing with towns people in Tangled world. So it safe to say its going to have a lot more NPC in the worlds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom