• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finished The Medium....

Been playing this on and off for the past few months and I've finally finished it. It's not a particularly great game in any area really, puzzles aren't particularly clever, the gameplay is rather mundane and it controls very badly, yet I still stuck with it.

It's story and the world drew me in and I needed to find out the mystery as it unravelled. Did anyone else playing this feel the same way, that despite it's flaws it was a compelling experience?

Kagey K

Banned
Ha
Absolutely, my only concern is having a game with this kind of story and atmosphere that actually plays well, I'm just not sure Bloober can achieve that.
Have you played Layers of Fear? I imagine them going for something like that but with combat.

The moving house is very cool, especially at the time it came out.

JackMcGunns

you just like to finish what you started and you grew attached to the game because you played it for months on and off.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and when a game goes exclusive to a platform, even if temporary, those opinions become even more skewed. I hear people say that despite being on GamePass, they didn't even bother downloading or trying, really? Metacritic of 75 tells me the game is good.

Last edited:

Hugare

That's what makes P.T. so amazing.
Because you barely "play" P.T.?

It was an amazing experience, but a short one. A 10h game within that concept would get boring really fast.

It was revealed that the full game would be in 3rd person, but after MGS V, I would trust Kojima to make a 3rd person game with amazing controls.

Could have been the greatest horror game ever in terms of gameplay

Beechos

I thought the game was pretty medicore id prob give it about a 5 out of 10. The controls were very janky, graphics were nothing special, story was blah. The gameplay felt like a bad version of resident evil without any combat and some stealth sections thrown in. I did like the alternate dimension thing seeing the same world from 2 perspectives at the same time but i felt that couldve also been done without having the split screen. I also forced myself to finish it hoping to see something cool or nextgen.

GHG

I keep mulling over whether to try it or not while I have the 3 months free gamepass I got with my Series X, but I just can’t be arsed. Too many good games (mostly on the PS5 at the mo) to waste time on average games.

Tried it for about 15 minutes on PC and said no thank you. Like you said, too many good games out there to waste time on mediocre ones. There are dozens of games I'd play on gamepass over this, it's just not good.

Everyone I know who was looking forward to this didn't like it once they played it. Initially they were happy to have an "exclusive" xbox game for their new console but once they played it they all said it was mediocre at best. I never thought the game looked very interesting, yeah the CGI/cinematic trailer at the start looked ok but once they showed gameplay those awful animations and the fact that you had very little control of the camera was an immediate turnoff to me personally.

Been playing this on and off for the past few months and I've finally finished it. It's not a particularly great game in any area really, puzzles aren't particularly clever, the gameplay is rather mundane and it controls very badly, yet I still stuck with it.

It's story and the world drew me in and I needed to find out the mystery as it unravelled. Did anyone else playing this feel the same way, that despite it's flaws it was a compelling experience?
I liked the game overall. Hated the ending tbh.

Outlier

It's one of those *A level* launch games that get a bit of attention in order to get people hyped for SOMETHING to decent to play, at launch.

It's like the launch of the PS4, where that paranormal detective game (set in Salem Mass) was hyped, played, then forgotten.

bender

What time is it?
It's one of those *A level* launch games that get a bit of attention in order to get people hyped for SOMETHING to decent to play, at launch.

It's like the launch of the PS4, where that paranormal detective game (set in Salem Mass) was hyped, played, then forgotten.

I don't really remember hype for Murdered Soul Suspect.

I think most of hype for The Medium had to do with Akira Yamaoka involvement.

I'm not sure I want to finish it once they had made play as a different character I kind of lost interest. Need to go back and finish it but I think I might rather play The Raven. It looks like a much better point and click adventure game.
Raven vs Medium? Which one is better?

Hoddi

It wasn't the greatest but it was alright. It was good enough that I played their Blair Witch game afterwards which was also alright.

Their games are a bit like those horror films that always end up starring Patrick Wilson. You don't particularly remember them but you enjoy them while they last.

wipeout364

I thought it had areas where it really shines but others that were pretty garbage. I would probably rate it 6/10, I could see bloober team taking this and building on it to deliver something really great, the problem is that they seem to not follow that plan but rather continue to deliver games with interesting ideas and poor implementation; for example Blair witch and Observer, both really cool ideas but clunky slow gameplay experiences.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Sounds like a good Silent Hill successor

Certinty

One of the only games I’ve finished this year.

Glad the length was pretty short and the story for the most part was interesting, it’s just a shame the end of the story falls apart pretty hard. But besides that it gave me enough enjoyment.

mejin

It was made to feed gamepass on "launch". I still think their potential is limited, but can't judge them just for a launch title.

I really wanted to like this, especially as an OG PS2 psychological horror fan. But MAN did the voice acting really ruin it for me.

It wasn't that the quality of the VA was bad, but rather the quantity was. The main character you played as just never, ever shut the fuck up.

It left no room for the atmosphere to grow on you as every other second was filled with cringe dialog.

It shows that Bloober Team have zero idea of how to actually create a foreboding atmosphere and I hope they leave SH the fuck alone.

Part of what makes SH series so great is the quiet and all your left with is sound effects, and yourself to freak out over what might be in that next room.

It's like Bloober Team played the OG SH games yet had absolutely no understanding of what made them so special and created The Medium out of it.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I'm excited for the prequel, The Small.

The game isn't great, the forced stealth without having an actual good stealth system is what turned me off, if your stealth sequence requires you to navigate at a precise time in a very painfully linear path then it's done poorly.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because you barely "play" P.T.?

It was an amazing experience, but a short one. A 10h game within that concept would get boring really fast.

It was revealed that the full game would be in 3rd person, but after MGS V, I would trust Kojima to make a 3rd person game with amazing controls.

Could have been the greatest horror game ever in terms of gameplay

Clearly a full game of P.T. wouldn't be the point. That'll be a 1-2 hour part of a larger game. And you 100% PLAY P.T.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You literally walked in a circle and did nothing the whole time.

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Top Bottom