• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Anteo

What's the fastest way to grind when most of your characters are all 80+? I have been doing Infinite Regalia with Paragon skills over and over again but it's just so slow. I just finished getting most of the kids, so I'm really not looking forward to raising them if it's going to take forever.

This is just reminding me why I took a 3 month break from this game. All that grinding was killing me.

Why are you grinding anyways?
For units that are close to max out go to the Smash Brethen last stage, start the map with the unit you want to grind + a pair up support and let the enemy rush you.

Shengar

For units that are close to max out go to the Smash Brethen last stage, start the map with the unit you want to grind + a pair up support and let the enemy rush you.

yeah, unless you into Apotheosis/The Future Past or playing at Lunatic and want to clear all chapter, there shouldn't be a reason for grinding beside unlocking support convo.

SoldnerKei

And there's so many of them! Bonus missions, bonus teams - there's so much more game in this game!!!

regarding that, for some reason my game dosen't download any of those, it says no bonus maps available, in my previous save I was able to download those just fine, I haven't try to download the bonus maps where you recruit some characters, but I think it'll be the same, has anyone gone throu this?

I am playing on hard, and last save slot, also my Nintendo ID is not from USA... dunno if that matters

Azuran

Banned

Mostly unlocking skills that I want to pass. I kinda screw up by not unlocking the good skills early, so trying to raise peeps like Lissa or Olivia so they can learn Galeforce at high levels is turning out to be a pain.

Shengar

Classic is awesome when after playing a 2 hour mission, the boss kills one of your characters with a 5% crit, making you restart the mission right from the start. Never gets old.

Yup, on top that Vaike got RES two times in a row and Miriel got DEF, only for Stahl to miss his 80% attack and get 5% critted afterward. Shits like this never gets old.

kd-z

Congratulation, now play it on Hard (if you haven't already) with different pairs and unlock those support conversations :D
I'm honestly thinking about doing that. Since this was my first playthrough I was playing for the story and characters mostly, so now I could focus more on the mechanics, which means breeding some powerful babies :D Also, Sumia died, so that blocked me off from one kid. Even worse, Chrom married some noname girl, which means that he didn't have a wife in my party and Lucina had no mother and no sibling.

Hmm...

kd-z

Dunno man, it's gonna be hard to top Owain!

MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES!!!

Okay, so I have almost decided on doing a Hard playthrough, but have first to come up with a new, fantasy-suiting spin on my name, which is Rafał, which is basically the same as Raphael, which is what I called my character this time :p

Anteo

Dunno man, it's gonna be hard to top Owain!

MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES!!!

Okay, so I have almost decided on doing a Hard playthrough, but have first to come up with a new, fantasy-suiting spin on my name, which is Rafał, which is basically the same as Raphael, which is what I called my character this time :p

Dunno man, Justice Cabal > Solo Owain. He needs the other half of the team

watershed

Banned
So, I bought FE 3ds along time ago and got pretty far into the game. But then I stopped playing for an even longer time and basically forgot everything that happened. I don't like playing games without knowing the story so I decided to start a new file today.

Right now the game is introducing relationships. Is there any advantage to pairing two characters together that the game/story seem to want to go together? Like with Sully and Virion, it seems obvious that they should be a couple but is there any advantage to pairing them together instead of with other people? Help me gaf!

Currently 35 hours in, and up to Ch 14.

Some of my characters are just brutal. Robin and Panne both have @67 health and are unstoppable :D

I maxed out Panne as an Assassin last night. I didn't know what else to change her too, so I just restarted her as an Assassin again <3

Sumia and
Frederick
got married, but their child has yet to appear. I have all the others, except for
Vaike (he died), Miriel (she retired), Tharja (missed getting her), Gaius(again, missed her)

NeonZ

Right now the game is introducing relationships. Is there any advantage to pairing two characters together that the game/story seem to want to go together? Like with Sully and Virion, it seems obvious that they should be a couple but is there any advantage to pairing them together instead of with other people? Help me gaf!

No, there isn't anything special about the "recommended" pairs gameplay-wise.

Also, regarding Sully,
she seems to be intended to be paired up with Stahl, if anything, since they have a special epilogue written just for their pairing, rather than following the usual formula for couples, where half is generic and half is unique.

Anteo

So, I bought FE 3ds along time ago and got pretty far into the game. But then I stopped playing for an even longer time and basically forgot everything that happened. I don't like playing games without knowing the story so I decided to start a new file today.

Actually
Virion is like that with all the ladies he meets. The game is not telling you that you should marry these too, the game is telling you "yeah, this guy likes to hit on women, a lot"

K-A-Deman

You know how most sane people deal with permadeath? we think about it as a game over.

Eh, I find that to be even more tedious quite frankly. the idea of soft resetting constantly is the reason I've never been a shiny hunter, or done another nuzlocke.

Anteo

Eh, I find that to be even more tedious quite frankly. the idea of soft resetting constantly is the reason I've never been a shiny hunter, or done another nuzlocke.

Well, its that or wasting time grinding a unit to replace the one you lost, and that can take a looot of time by the mid game.

ohlawd

that's why you get good so you don't have to SR to begin with

just pretend someone has a gun pointed at your head and one wrong move... splat all over the floor.

Insaniac

God Fire Emblem is so much more satisfying when you get GOOD level ups. Nothing makes me want to shut off my 3DS more than when I am putting up a really good and strategic battle against enemies who are 3/4 levels above me and my characters level up 2 useless stats (+magic on Chrom? Thanks game). I can't stand for it and have to restart.

On a side note, why do units who cannot use magic have a level-up magic stat? seriously, it was better when it was just strength

Javier

God Fire Emblem is so much more satisfying when you get GOOD level ups. Nothing makes me want to shut off my 3DS more than when I am putting up a really good and strategic battle against enemies who are 3/4 levels above me and my characters level up 2 useless stats (+magic on Chrom? Thanks game). I can't stand for it and have to restart.

On a side note, why do units who cannot use magic have a level-up magic stat? seriously, it was better when it was just strength
Levin Sword, Shockstick, Bolt Axe. Those work on Magic, not Strength.

Also reclassing.

kd-z

Okay, started my Hard playthrough today!

Any tips (or sources thereof) on how to nicely level-up charactes and breed some killer babies? Any fun character pairings you guys would recommend?

RiggyRob

Okay, started my Hard playthrough today!

Any tips (or sources thereof) on how to nicely level-up charactes and breed some killer babies? Any fun character pairings you guys would recommend?

What pairings did you do the first time around?

I went with the 'canon' options e.g. Chrom x Sumia, Stahl x Sully, Lon'qu x Olivia,
etc on my first playthrough . Now on my Lunatic playthrough I'm doing the 'optimal' pairings skillwise for the children. It all depends on your personal preferences really, plus what colour hair you want the children to have.

Insaniac

Is there a way to know when two adjacent teammates engage in combat, if the adjacent one will strike the enemy too? Or is it random?

Similarly if an adjacent unit "absorbs" an incoming attack for an ally

Soma

fuck

on my second playthrough finished Donnel's recruitment mission but forgot i needed to level him up before the mission ends.

oh well guess you're stuck being a farmer forever. no waifus for you.

Is there a way to know when two adjacent teammates engage in combat, if the adjacent one will strike the enemy too? Or is it random?

Similarly if an adjacent unit "absorbs" an incoming attack for an ally

In the bottom-left corner of the battle preview, there are percentages for both. The bigger one is for Dual Strikes and the smaller one for Dual Guards.

Fiktion

Banned
I'm finally diving into this game after realizing it's not going to get any cheaper. My Best Buy was sold out during the deal all those months ago.

Can anyone recommend a good guide with no spoilers? I don't want to miss anything.

Usobuko

Banned
I would like to know that if Lucina dialogue changes when she attempted to kill
your main character/robin
if they are married before hand?

fuck

on my second playthrough finished Donnel's recruitment mission but forgot i needed to level him up before the mission ends.

oh well guess you're stuck being a farmer forever. no waifus for you.

Lol.

I'm finally diving into this game after realizing it's not going to get any cheaper. My Best Buy was sold out during the deal all those months ago.

Can anyone recommend a good guide with no spoilers? I don't want to miss anything.

I don't if there is a good guide out there but my general advice is

1) Early in the game, in paralogue 1, you need to level up Donnel if you want to recruit him.

2) When you characters reached S rank for support, they would be married and you cannot undo it. You do, of course, can soft reset the game.

3) The Thief class has a skill ( learned at Lv 1 ) that allows you to opened chest/door without keys.

I would like to talk more about skills but that to me is spoilerish for the story. Go with hard/classic for your first play through, good luck.

Pics_nao

Finally got the game today. Played up to chapter 5 I think. Tried starting out on Hard/Classic but I was getting wrecked in the second chapter so I dropped it down to normal. Not too happy about doing that but whatever.

Javier

The only thing in this game that can be permanently missed are characters. General tips so you don't miss anyone is that every time you notice an ally/enemy unit that can be recruited (they have unique sprites and portraits and usually speak early on to indicate you can talk to them). You can recruit these characters by talking to them with Chrom in almost every case, except the above mentioned Donnel, and a couple of characters that need to be kept safe until the map ends, but going into more details would be spoilers.

Also, make sure you get all the women married. This is isn't hard if you recruit everyone, but one of the girls, Sumia, has less husband options than the others so it's better to choose a suitor for her early to prevent her from not getting married, otherwise you're locked out forever of an important event later on.

CassSept

The Smash Bros. Effect®

I was putting off buying this one for a while now, but I finally started it over the last week.

I said God Damn, God Damn, God Damn.

I'm at Chapter... errr, 18? I think. What a fantastic game, really. It's so addicting. It is my first Fire Emblem game and it does a great job at introducing one into the series, the learning curve is laid out really great and the game never gets too overwhelming with it's mechanics.

There were some weird difficult spikes, but I'm really enjoying the ride. I'd still put Kid Icarus above it as far as 3DS games go, but it's great to check the box to the next Nintendo franchise, and even better that it's truly an enjoyable one and one of the classics.

The metagame with shipping characters is weirdly addicting too. Sumia mai waifu obv, but I can see myself giving the game another go to not only play it at a harder difficulty, but also to try another pairings. Fun stuff!

Fiktion

Banned
Thanks for the tips guys.

The only thing in this game that can be permanently missed are characters. General tips so you don't miss anyone is that every time you notice an ally/enemy unit that can be recruited (they have unique sprites and portraits and usually speak early on to indicate you can talk to them). You can recruit these characters by talking to them with Chrom in almost every case, except the above mentioned Donnel, and a couple of characters that need to be kept safe until the map ends, but going into more details would be spoilers.

Also, make sure you get all the women married. This is isn't hard if you recruit everyone, but one of the girls, Sumia, has less husband options than the others so it's better to choose a suitor for her early to prevent her from not getting married, otherwise you're locked out forever of an important event later on.
This marriage and children thing is new to me. The last game I played to completion was Path of Radiance. I'm looking at some of the guides for this stuff and my head is already spinning from the stat spreadsheets and whatnot. There also seems to be a distinction between pairings that produce recruitable characters and the pairings that are just for fun.

Get all the women married you say? Important missable event? I'll keep that in mind.

McNum

Quick tip - best skill for Donnel to pass down?
Aptitude is a good skill for getting strong fast.

If he's paired with Nowi consider Underdog. Manakete caps out at 30, so Nah will always be lower level than the lategame enemies, granting her the benefits of Underdog. Even if she's a dragon with stats twice as high as the enemies. She's an underdog.

But if in doubt, Aptitude.

RiggyRob

Aptitude is a good skill for getting strong fast.

If he's paired with Nowi consider Underdog. Manakete caps out at 30, so Nah will always be lower level than the lategame enemies, granting her the benefits of Underdog. Even if she's a dragon with stats twice as high as the enemies. She's an underdog.

But if in doubt, Aptitude.

I am in doubt indeed, I'm seeing a lot of people disagree on the merits of Counter/Underdog/Aptitude/Rally Strength, and even the pairings (although it is narrowed down to Donnel x Tharja or Donnel x Sully).

Fiktion

Banned
Okay so if I'm reading these guides right, there are certain characters that cannot be married except by Robin. When you say get everyone married, these guys are excluded right?

Sairi, Tiki, Flavia, Emmeryn, Aversa
Basilio, Gangrel, Valhart, Renha, Paris

I see Anna on that list on some sites and not others. It's kind of confusing.

RiggyRob

Okay so if I'm reading these guides right, there are certain characters that cannot be married except by Robin. When you say get everyone married, these guys are excluded right?

I see
Anna
on that list on some sites and not others. It's kind of confusing.

You are correct in thinking that none of the characters above can be married except to the Avatar -
Anna
also cannot be married to anyone except the Avatar, so whichever sites have that are wrong.

However, because there are more male characters than female characters, some will always be left unmarried, so be careful if you don't plan the marriages ahead - for example, it is entirely possible to marry off all of Sumia's potential husbands to other characters, meaning it's impossible to
recruit Cynthia

Javier

I see Anna on that list on some sites and not others. It's kind of confusing.
Yes. The characters that can only marry the Avatar (which includes Anna) don't count for the "get all the girls married" quest.

McNum

I am in doubt indeed, I'm seeing a lot of people disagree on the merits of Counter/Underdog/Aptitude/Rally Strength, and even the pairings (although it is narrowed down to Donnel x Tharja or Donnel x Sully).
Well, for both Tharja and Sully, Donnel already passes down the most important thing he has: Pegasus Knight class access.

Noire, Tharja's kid, defaults to Archer, though, and Archers are about the only class who really want Counter. Rally Strength, well, if you're making a Rallybot, sure, but if this is just Normal difficulty, rallies are overkill unless you're going for the hardest DLC packs.

RiggyRob

Well, for both Tharja and Sully, Donnel already passes down the most important thing he has: Pegasus Knight class access.

Noire, Tharja's kid, defaults to Archer, though, and Archers are about the only class who really want Counter. Rally Strength, well, if you're making a Rallybot, sure, but if this is just Normal difficulty, rallies are overkill unless you're going for the hardest DLC packs.

Nope, this is Lunatic difficulty, and at some point I'm going to do a Lunatic+/Classic run including Apotheosis.

I'm leaning towards Donnel x Sully and passing down Aptitude for Kjelle.

Top Bottom