• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

McNum

Nope, this is Lunatic difficulty, and at some point I'm going to do a Lunatic+/Classic run including Apotheosis.

I'm leaning towards Donnel x Sully and passing down Aptitude for Kjelle.
You're raising Donnel on Lunatic? Wow. Just remember that Donnel's only good stat he passes on is Luck. He pays for his awesome growth like that. This might matter now.

RiggyRob

You're raising Donnel on Lunatic? Wow. Just remember that Donnel's only good stat he passes on is Luck. He pays for his awesome growth like that. This might matter now.

I have an affinity for trying to make all characters in Fire Emblem as best as possible, or at the very least useable, against my better judgment.
Plus I'd rather raise up Donnel than the waste of space that is Kellam.

Fun fact, on my first time through Radiant Dawn I wasted shitloads of Bonus EXP making Fiona and Meg promoted units, despite never using them. I have no idea why I decided to do that and it ended up making the endgame much harder, although it was incredibly satisfying to finally beat it.

Usobuko

Banned
Finished chapter 9. I have a few class change medals. Any classes I should change anyone to? Just got Anna as well

I'll generally say if Sumia / Cordelia are still alive in your playthrough, change them to dark flier. Changing class will set your characters but to Lv1 and you get to learn Gale Force at Lv.15.

When the user defeats an enemy, they are allowed 1 more full action. Galeforce can only activate once per turn. It is learned by Dark Fliers at Level 15.

Be sure to know the skill at the last/bottom slot would be passed down to the children. That means you get to pass down Gale Force. I don't dislike Falcon Knight but Dark Flier's Gale Force give you much more leniently/options to shape your children skill build than Falcon Knight's lancefaire.

Shengar

I'm honestly thinking about doing that. Since this was my first playthrough I was playing for the story and characters mostly, so now I could focus more on the mechanics, which means breeding some powerful babies :D Also, Sumia died, so that blocked me off from one kid. Even worse, Chrom married some noname girl, which means that he didn't have a wife in my party and Lucina had no mother and no sibling.

Hmm...
You should try Hard difficulty (I also urged anyone who like the game to do the same)! I found Normal too Easy as you can literary plow through the game with everyone. When the first time I played FEA, I switched to Hard after four hours of learning the mechanics, and oh boy, what a difficulty spike it was! Positioning now matters, you can't no longer plow through the enemy as they are more of the same have similar stats like your units. Hard difficulty is hard when you compared it to Normal, but I think it's fair, and it's the difficulty where the game shine without you being needed to meddle with the game mechanic in order to survive like Lunatic (even more so Lunatic+).
God Fire Emblem is so much more satisfying when you get GOOD level ups. Nothing makes me want to shut off my 3DS more than when I am putting up a really good and strategic battle against enemies who are 3/4 levels above me and my characters level up 2 useless stats (+magic on Chrom? Thanks game). I can't stand for it and have to restart.

On a side note, why do units who cannot use magic have a level-up magic stat? seriously, it was better when it was just strength
Imagine that happened on Lunatic playthough during the earlier chapters.
But who cares about Kjelle, Donnel x Nowi for some awesome Nah action
Manakete with Galeforce *shudders*
I am in doubt indeed, I'm seeing a lot of people disagree on the merits of Counter/Underdog/Aptitude/Rally Strength, and even the pairings (although it is narrowed down to Donnel x Tharja or Donnel x Sully).
Nah's tankiness will render Counter useless if you asked me. If you'll Nah mainly as Manakete, then Underdog will be better.
EDIT: Lunatic difficulty? Take Counter then, since those Avo will useless against haxforged weapons. Aptitude is a good choice if you took the no-grinding run.
Noire, Tharja's kid, defaults to Archer, though, and Archers are about the only class who really want Counter. Rally Strength, well, if you're making a Rallybot, sure, but if this is just Normal difficulty, rallies are overkill unless you're going for the hardest DLC packs.
Rallies are overkill on Normal
Rallies are luxury on Hard
Rallies are necessity on Lunatic
Rallies are Live on Lunatic+.

Usobuko

Banned
I would actually recommend playing hard/classic without using the streetpass -> wireless -> box teams way to grind. The reeking box is 4.8k gold and give you 2 measly S bullion each round. You might discover the joy of bronze weapons for overpowered characters.

Shengar

I would actually recommend playing hard/classic without using the streetpass -> wireless -> box teams way to grind. The reeking box is 4.8k gold and give you 2 measly S bullion each round. You might discover the joy of bronze weapons for overpowered characters.

This shoould be the next after normal Hard run with ( minimal or better, without) grinding. Need to memorize that pesky reinforcement first!

Usobuko

Banned
This shoould be the next after normal Hard run with ( minimal or better, without) grinding. Need to memorize that pesky reinforcement first!

I should have started with Lunatic. Now I have to beat Lunatic to get Lunatic+. Still grinding to get my desired builds and deciding the husbandos for my childrens.

Fiktion

Banned
Another quick question, about the side quests. Am I supposed to be tackling these as they unlock? Can they be ignored? Any benefit or penalty if I save them for later?

Shengar

Another quick question, about the side quests. Am I supposed to be tackling these as they unlock? Can they be ignored? Any benefit or penalty if I save them for later?

They are completely optional and can be tackled later on. The only penalty you'll received for not doing them is not having the nice extra XPs and the loots (until you do them of course).

Insaniac

Can someone kindly explain or link me to an indepth explanation of the promotion system in FE:A? I understand the promotion system from the GBA games it was straight forward, but it seems this one is much deeper (whats a secondary seal?)

Also, is there any DLC you guys would consider worth getting?

Shengar

Can someone kindly explain or link me to an indepth explanation of the promotion system in FE:A? I understand the promotion system from the GBA games it was straight forward, but it seems this one is much deeper (whats a secondary seal?)

Also, is there any DLC you guys would consider worth getting?

Basically in FEA, there are two seals: Master Seals and Second Seals. Master Seal used when you want to promote your level 10 or above unit into advanced class. For instances Lon'qu, into either Assassin or Swordmaster since he is a Myrmidon. Second Seal in the other hand, allows your unit to change into different class of the same tier at level 10 or above. If you use Second Seal on Pegasus Knight Cordelia, she can change her class to Mercenary or other class of the same tier. Note that different unit have different accessible class, and only MU along with their children that have the access to all class except the special one like Manakete or Taguel (unless their other parent is Manakete or Taguel).

Other important things to remember is that Master Seals doesn't increase your unit internal level cap, while Second Seal does. Internal level cap is what makes your unit receive less EXP as they progressed (Frederick slowness in gaining EXP is due to his already high internal level cap).

The Future Past is a must have. Challenge Pack and Apotheosis are good if you want challenge, and while we're at it, you might want to pick Golden Pack and The Lost Bloodline to ease up your grinding.

RiggyRob

Fuck, apparently beating Lunatic on Casual only unlocks Lunatic+ on Casual, whereas beating Lunatic on Classic unlocks Lunatic+ on both.

Fuck me I've wasted a lot of time.

Javier

Lunatic+ has so much bullshit going for it I don't even recommend it. It's just no fun to play. Just stick to Lunatic for a challenging playthrough.

NeonZ

Other important things to remember is that Master Seals doesn't increase your unit internal level cap, while Second Seal does. Internal level cap is what makes your unit receive less EXP as they progressed (Frederick slowness in gaining EXP is due to his already high internal level cap).

That's not exactly right. Using a Master Seal automatically makes the unit jump to a promoted class, which means 20 hidden levels by default.

If you're already on level 20, you won't be adding anything (you'll basically be going from level 20 to 21), but if you're on level 10 when you promote, you'll be adding 10 extra levels to the internal number (10 to 21), without having the corresponding stat level ups. If you use a second seal afterwards, half of your current total (current visible number, +20 if promoted) carries over and are permanently added to the character's hidden number (, which is why Frederick gets less exp than other units even if you change him to a base class).

RiggyRob

Well at least you know the reinforcement the AI behavior for Lunatic.

You mean reinforcements coming in at the start of the enemy phase instead of the end? If so, I already knew about that (isn't it a feature in all of the maximum difficulty modes in Fire Emblem?).

Lunatic+ has so much bullshit going for it I don't even recommend it. It's just no fun to play. Just stick to Lunatic for a challenging playthrough.

It's just for bragging rights, showing that I'm a sick pimp OG at Fire Emblem.

Shengar

You mean reinforcements coming in at the start of the enemy phase instead of the end? If so, I already knew about that (isn't it a feature in all of the maximum difficulty modes in Fire Emblem?).
Actually more the difference in reinforcement unit, units at the field, and their behavior (like units at the lower level of Chapter 3 that will move towards you instead of being static on Hard difficulty).

Insaniac

Basically in FEA, there are two seals: Master Seals and Second Seals. Master Seal used when you want to promote your level 10 or above unit into advanced class. For instances Lon'qu, into either Assassin or Swordmaster since he is a Myrmidon. Second Seal in the other hand, allows your unit to change into different class of the same tier at level 10 or above. If you use Second Seal on Pegasus Knight Cordelia, she can change her class to Mercenary or other class of the same tier. Note that different unit have different accessible class, and only MU along with their children that have the access to all class except the special one like Manakete or Taguel (unless their other parent is Manakete or Taguel).

The Future Past is a must have. Challenge Pack and Apotheosis are good if you want challenge, and while we're at it, you might want to pick Golden Pack and The Lost Bloodline to ease up your grinding.

Thanks for the help and suggestions on DLC! More questions!

How the heck does getting married work? I know that its due to support levels with chars and I know how to grow support levels, but how does one actually marry another char?
I beat king gangrel and Chrom married sumia i assume due to support levels
but is it like this for all other chars, or can you control when other chars get married?

Also, when you touch the units portrait in a battle it shows a stat graph, is this the units expected stat growth based on the unit/class or based on the stats it actually has?

Finally. Donnel has some ability that boosts his chance for better stat growth. Is he worth leveling? He has piss poor resistance for me right now, and I'm not sure its worth the hassel of leveling him up.

Oh, also how far am I? I'm at
Bout to kill Gangrel, I figure I have a ways to go since most of my characters are only level 14/15 right now

Shengar

How the heck does getting married work? I know that its due to support levels with chars and I know how to grow support levels, but how does one actually marry another char?
I beat king gangrel and Chrom married sumia i assume due to support levels
but is it like this for all other chars, or can you control when other chars get married?

Also, when you touch the units portrait in a battle it shows a stat graph, is this the units expected stat growth based on the unit/class or based on the stats it actually has?

Finally. Donnel has some ability that boosts his chance for better stat growth. Is he worth leveling? He has piss poor resistance for me right now, and I'm not sure its worth the hassel of leveling him up.

Your unit married when you activate their S level support conversation. One unit can have multiple A level support with availability to advance to S level. But S level support is only one for each unit, so when your unit get married, the other option will be greyed out and the max support level you can reach is only A.

That stats I think is to represent the growth of the class, not the unit.

Donnel is worthwhile on Normal and Hard as pairbot. He also one of the few father that able to pass down Galeforce indirectly to otherwise Galeforce-reject daughter. The problem with Donnel is that his cap is low compared to other unit, and he requires extensive babying before he can get reclassed to Mercenary.

Insaniac

Your unit married when you activate their S level support conversation. One unit can have multiple A level support with availability to advance to S level. But S level support is only one for each unit, so when your unit get married, the other option will be greyed out and the max support level you can reach is only A.

That stats I think is to represent the growth of the class, not the unit.

Donnel is worthwhile on Normal and Hard as pairbot. He also one of the few father that able to pass down Galeforce indirectly to otherwise Galeforce-reject daughter. The problem with Donnel is that his cap is low compared to other unit, and he requires extensive babying before he can get reclassed to Mercenary.

Thanks!

Also, I went through the game so far thinking there that there was some twist where Robin and Chrom were some how the same person from different dimension or something, because they had the same birthday...

But it turns out I happen to share my birthday with Chrom lol!

Anteo

I have to say that, while I agree that Donnel needs baby sitting early (and it gets harder the later on the game you start, ideally you want to get him to level 4/5 in the level you recruit him on hard), his stats caps are more than enough to take out the last main campaing stage by himself (+ wife ofc), and his crazy level ups will make sure he will outclass almost everyone as early as level 1 mercenary at chapter 8.

He does fall behind in the postgame + later dlc where the child units shine,

Shengar

Oh yeah for those who want to recruit and used him, you better to use the "Archer Trapping" trick in order to make him leveled as much as possible in his recruitment chapter. That way, it will be easier to baby him later on with forged Bronze Spear.

Fiktion

Banned
Another quick question guys.

I'm trying to get Chrom to marry Olivia, and I read that in order to accomplish this I have to prevent Chrom from getting any support from his other marriage candidates. I just realized that I had Maribelle heal him once on the last chapter and this probably got them a little support. Am I fucked?

edit: Nevermind, if I have her dance enough seems like it'll still work.

Shengar

I'm trying to get Chrom to marry Olivia, and I read that in order to accomplish this I have to prevent Chrom from getting any support from his other marriage candidates. I just realized that I had Maribelle heal him once on the last chapter and this probably got them a little support. Am I fucked?

Grind Maribelle with other guy and have her get married. That should solve your problem.

kd-z

You should try Hard difficulty (I also urged anyone who like the game to do the same)! I found Normal too Easy as you can literary plow through the game with everyone. When the first time I played FEA, I switched to Hard after four hours of learning the mechanics, and oh boy, what a difficulty spike it was! Positioning now matters, you can't no longer plow through the enemy as they are more of the same have similar stats like your units. Hard difficulty is hard when you compared it to Normal, but I think it's fair, and it's the difficulty where the game shine without you being needed to meddle with the game mechanic in order to survive like Lunatic (even more so Lunatic+).
Yup, that's what I'm doing right now and I must admit that the missions are much more tense, even early on (2-3 hours in, the war with Plegia has just begun), but also more satisfying when I finally manage to finish them without losing any characters :) What's most important is self-control and thinking ahead, especially if you start the mission outside of the enemies' reach and have to enter it in one turn - it's critical to choose a character/characters who can take a couple hits but also be ready to heal them and come with aid in the very next turn.

edit: Nevermind, if I have her dance enough seems like it'll still work.

I know you probably figured it out, but you're still in the game if you haven't triggered any support conversations (i.e physically upped the support to rank C).

Hello, all. I just recently started this game and have some questions:

Is the "Apotheosis" DLC doable without min-max-ing? I'm willing to grind a bit, but for me building the strongest possible party would always be a second fiddle to, hm, thematic neatness.

I'm still a bit confused about the classing system. Say that I want to make "Grandmaster Robin who has Galeforce". Would the fastest path be
Tactician 10 --> Second Seal --> Pegasus Knight 10 --> Master Seal --> Dark Flier 15 --> Second Seal --> Tactician 10 --> Master Seal --> Grandmaster?

Shengar

Is the "Apotheosis" DLC doable without min-max-ing? I'm willing to grind a bit, but for me building the strongest possible party would always be a second fiddle to, hm, thematic neatness.

I'm still a bit confused about the classing system. Say that I want to make "Grandmaster Robin who has Galeforce". Would the fastest path be
Tactician 10 --> Second Seal --> Pegasus Knight 10 --> Master Seal --> Dark Flier 15 --> Second Seal --> Tactician 10 --> Master Seal --> Grandmaster?
I don't think Apotheosis is doable without min-max-ing. Some say its pretty hard to pull with Generation 1 alone, implying that Generation 2 is a must.

You don't need another second seal to become Tactician again. You could change directly into Grandmaster from Dark Flier using second seal at level 15.

Anteo

Aphosteosis featuers enemies with stats around 60 - 70 (read, arond 70 str, def, etc) , considering the max for a first gen unit is around 45-55...
You could try Future Past or the Challenge Pack instead. Summer Scramble is a must btw.

About the second seal, asuming your Robin is female, yes you can do that. Also 2nd tier units above level 10 can change to another 2nd tier class (i.e. lvl 10+ Dark Flier to Grandmaster) so you can skip that second Tactician

Edit: Let me put it like this: the first few times I tried Aphosteosis I could not get very far because I didnt have enough maxed out untis, and the ones on the stage got murdered pretty easily.

Insaniac

i used a second seal on my wyvern rider to class it into a wyvern rider again.. it didn't lose any stats. So does that i mean I can re level it to 20 and get its stats ridiculously high, and then use a master seal on it?

Javier

i used a second seal on my wyvern rider to class it into a wyvern rider again.. it didn't lose any stats. So does that i mean I can re level it to 20 and get its stats ridiculously high, and then use a master seal on it?
Theoretically yes, but there's a limit to how much a unit can grow his/her stats. If the stat number suddenly turns green, it means it has reached its cap and won't grow until you promote the unit. When a unit is promoted, the stat caps are raised and you can keep leveling them up.

If you're going to grind by using multiple Second Seals, it's better to try out different classes instead of sealing to the same class. That way your unit learns different skills.

Anteo

The thing about stats in this game is that they are random. I mean, when you level up you get random stats upgrades, meaning that my Chrom might get 3 shitty +1hp stats increase in a row while your Chrom might get +1 to all stats in a 3 times row.

The unit keeps track on what stats they got every levle up, so after 20 level ups you would be like; +12hp, +9str + 7def + 3Mag + 5Mdef +12Skill + 11Avo

So, for the final stats of a unit you would have;
The base stats of a class + all thestats you got on every levle up, however it can not go past the max of that particular class (so you may have 35 def as a Knight, but only 25 as a Mage)

As Javier said, it's better if you get different skills from different classes. Most 1st tier skills are bad, so you can skip them. Some 2nd tier skills are too good to pass up.

You don't even need Limit Breaker for Apotheosis (or any other DLC like Rally Love/Aggressor/All Stats +2), let alone min-max shit.

Thank you for the answers, all. To explain a bit, I'm willing to grind for appropriate skills o stats if needed, but I won't do stuff like "A must marry with B so their son could get such and such skills" if I don't actually think A and B are fit with each other, um, pairing-wise.

Aphosteosis featuers enemies with stats around 60 - 70 (read, arond 70 str, def, etc) , considering the max for a first gen unit is around 45-55...
You could try Future Past or the Challenge Pack instead. Summer Scramble is a must btw.

Yar, honestly, I don't really care much for non-story-(heavy) DLCs. It's just that apparently Katarina is the only DLC character whose art consistent with the main casts? And so my odd sense of completionism compels me to recruit her.

Usobuko

Banned
Best pairing for Severa, Lucina, Nah, Female Morgan? They are my best 2nd gen units but I don't who to pair with them. I have atm

Owain ( Libra )
Gerome ( Lon Qu )
Inigo ( Federich )
Yarne ( Stahl )
Laurent ( Ricken )

I tried pairing Panne with many and just find Stahl to have the best support conversation. Same thing with Lon Qu.

deim0s

Ok, started my first play through of FE:A, going in blind and up to chapter 8 now.

Both Chrom and MyUnit above level 15, Is there a page w/ outlines the classes that characters can take without spoiling anything?

I didn't know about Donnel has a potential... Poor kid. :/

And I think I'm regretting starting on Normal/Classic.

Shengar

Yar, honestly, I don't really care much for non-story-(heavy) DLCs. It's just that apparently Katarina is the only DLC character whose art consistent with the main casts? And so my odd sense of completionism compels me to recruit her.

That's because her art art was being done by Yusuke Kozaki himself, the artist for FEA.

Fiktion

Banned
Hey, I haven't really delved into the menus that deeply, but is there a way to review all of the support conversations I've unlocked? I was able to do that in past games.

Shengar

Hey, I haven't really delved into the menus that deeply, but is there a way to review all of the support conversations I've unlocked? I was able to do that in past games.

Once you finished the game for the first time, you can accessed past support conversation on the Extra in the main meny IIRC.

Pics_nao

25 hours and I'm on chapter 25. This is most definitely the final chapter huh? Goddamn shame. Game feels so short and that with at least 6 or so hours of grinding

Top Bottom