• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

McNum

What can I do to strengthen Donny in my game? MU got him, but didn't really use him. He's by far the weakest link in the group when the team average is probably 12 now. I want to pair him with Nowi (she's Lv. 4), but even in that pairing, she would be lead. His hits barely scratch and he can't take a hit himself. I feel like I may have to just leave him behind. ;_;
Give him a Second Seal. Pick Mercenary. Point him at the enemy and run. Watch as he gets near-perfect level-ups several times in a row.

You can wait until level 15 to get him Underdog which makes him stronger when facing a foe that's high level than him, but unless you're planning on passing that on to Nah (which does have merit since Manaketes top out at 30 and enemies at 40), just reclass him immediately.

Mercenary Donnel is powerful. Hero Donnel is nigh-invincible. His only weakness is that his stat caps are low, but unless you're planning on going after the final DLC chapter, don't worry about that.

NeonZ

Even on Hard a grinded party is pretty much invincible in the main story. The 5 star DLC maps and maybe some of the final bonus paralogues are the only challenge for a properly built up/maxed party on hard. And then there's Apotheosis.

EDIT: If I were to restart, I'd want a game where the Avatar does NOT become superpowerful and able to solo the game. I remember trying this before with an archer avatar, and he still cleaned house. I wonder... what else could I possibly do? Do I really need to make an Avatar Priest?

Removing Veteran should help. If you mean with grinding, I'm pretty sure any maxed unit can walk all over the story maps outside of Lunatic/Lunatic + (and even those can be broken with some exploits).

Squire

Banned
Grinder Donnel up to Lv. 9 with some of the other low-level characters, too. I should be okay from here. I put the Second Seal in his inventory, since he should hit 10 in the next fight.

Do you keep the Master/Second Seals? I used the Master on Robin, but it's still in my inventory. I'm pretty sure I only got one.

Also, when is it recommended to change classes? I got Robin to 20, but I have multiple units on the verge of being Lv. 15.

Out of curiosity, do you get any kind of reward for keeping Anna alive in Paralogue 2? She died in my playthrough mostly because I didn't get to her in time.

Squire

Banned
Huh? I recruited her in Paralogue 4 just fine (even though her sister died in 2).

Looking at Morgan builds to plan for my Hard playthrough. So many possibilities...

You must not need to then!

Edit: Wait, I think you need to
to get her to open those special shops on the world map.

You can use up to 20 "extra" characters, add more and then it asks you to replace one of them. Anyway, you can just dismiss them from the map without a battle, or hire them for money rather than defeating them in battle.

Their levels are very varied, some have low levels so you could use them right alongside the early game without changing your experience much, while the higher level ones (like most lords and main villains) basically break the main campaign if gotten early. They don't have supports, but can change to any standard class using 2nd seals and come with one extra skill by default.

Thank you so much for explaining this, I appreciate it a lot I guess its time to go play this game.

sohois

The recent announcements got me in the mood to fire up Awakening again. Given that my first normal run through was super easy and most people seem to say that Hard is also barely challenging, I figured going for Lunatic (classic) would be better. That was my first mistake.

Now, after dozens and dozens of resets, I have been able to get through the first 4 chapters (plus paralogue 1) which everyone says is the hardest part. Only lost Vaike in those battles so far as well. That being said, I have no real idea if i have been doing the 'right' things to set up for the rest of the game. I'm really not any kind of Fire emblem pro, apart from the one play through of Awakening and a prior, unfinished Shadow Dragon, I have no experience with the series. What guidance I've looked at around the web all seems to assume you are some gigantic Fire Emblem nerd, replete with unfathomable acronyms and baffling stratagems.

So, anyone still residing in this thread able to offer me some more pointers? I have a Female Avatar, level 6, +Magic -Skill; I don't have any of DLC so no grinding that; Only 750 renown from the first playthrough; Chrom is level 7.

Finally starting to take a break from grinding Paragons/Limit Breakers off the DLC stuff and did more of the children missions...
Owain is my favorite, no contest.

Velcro Fly

Finally doing a second playthrough.

Normal/Classic.

Trying to get all units, have maxed stats, maxed supports, and all skills on everyone. Got my pairings all planned for the ultimate Galeforce abuse. My first playthrough I just did whatever felt right and got through the game. This time I'm taking a more calculated approach to things.

Even going to buy some DLC eventually!

Beat the game last night. Can definitely see where all the praise came from: the story was a bit predictable and cheesy (having all your party chime in at times, but I guess it's more meaningful if you play with perma-death) but overall compelling and well-done.

I like the support strategy; naturally Chrom and Robin got to A rank, and considering how the story put them together Gregor and Nowi got to S rank.

Didn't deviate much from the game's defaults: used my initial party throughout. Never really got a handle for Vaike and even though I got him to Master class level 6 he never really did much. I was glad when I got Flavia and Basilio to replace him and Cherche.

Pity there's no New Game+: is there any way to play the DLC and side-missions with my current game (saved during the last battle)?

McNum

Battle Saves are on page two with the two save slots. Chapter saves are on the first page with the three save slots. Load the one from the first page instead.

Yeah I see that. Thanks all.

Some of these Streetpass teams are ridiculous.

Is it advantageous to hit 20 in an advanced class and then switch to another class? Do your stats continue going up while you acquire more skills?

McNum

Yeah I see that. Thanks all.

Some of these Streetpass teams are ridiculous.

Is it advantageous to hit 20 in an advanced class and then switch to another class? Do your stats continue going up while you acquire more skills?
Rule of thumb: Yes.

The EXP mechanics are... complicated, but you can keep reclassing with Second Seals to get more and more stats as each time your level resets to 1. But due to some unseen mechanics, you may still gain EXP as if you were higher level than that.

But this is how you become more powerful than a normal 20/20 character. Much more powerful. I have a file where the last map is a one-turn fight thanks to liberal uses of Rescue Staffs and the ability to take out the final boss in one go. And that is not as min/maxed as it could be. Maxed out Awakening characters are scary.

So I'm making my way through the Paralogues (and battling any Risen that pop up). Donnel is weaksauce so I keep having to babysit him (hope he's like Magikarp). I did the first 4 but the remaining ones aren't in numbered order. Are they only unlocked when I start marrying off my party members?

Also realized I missed recruiting Tharja. Lame.

Wiseblade

So I'm making my way through the Paralogues (and battling any Risen that pop up). Donnel is weaksauce so I keep having to babysit him (hope he's like Magikarp). I did the first 4 but the remaining ones aren't in numbered order. Are they only unlocked when I start marrying off my party members?
1) Yes, Donnel blossoms into a powerful unit capable of wrecking everything the story throws at you. He's not quite tough enough to handle the DLC quests, however.

2) Yeah, once you marry a couple up, their child will become recruitable.

Restart. I'm serious.

Anteo

The tittle Awakening refers to Donnels Awakening.
No, really, his signature skill Aptitude just breaks him as a character. The only thing keeping him in check is his low caps which only stops him from beasting the late DLC chapters. For every other DLC and the main campaing he is just to strong.

Also, I'm pretty sure with proper planning you only need 4 chapters to get Donnel to mercenary, 5 if you are going for the Underdog skill and only 2 of those chapters need baby sitting (basically, you just need to get a second seal chapter asap, I believe one of the early desert fights has a second seal). Heck, I got Donnel to Mercenary in a no grind/no pair up run I was doing a while ago without problems

Velcro Fly

Every day I tell myself I'm going to play something else

And every day I turn my 3DS on, go into LB3, and find another unit to get more stats on

I beat RaR3 yesterday for the first time. Then went into LB3 and got two Aversa's Nights within an hour or so. Now have 3 of them.

Thinking about doing another playthrough with a female avatar and picking +MAG -STR.

^^This post makes no sense to me haha.

I beat the game already so the Paralogues and Risen spawns are super-easy for the rest of my team but Donnel is always jumped on. Ended up babysitting him with Lissa and now they're married haha.

Is Tharja that good? I don't mind restarting for a better run but not sure if I have the time nor patience for it.

Anteo

^^This post makes no sense to me haha.

I beat the game already so the Paralogues and Risen spawns are super-easy for the rest of my team but Donnel is always jumped on. Ended up babysitting him with Lissa and now they're married haha.

Is Tharja that good? I don't mind restarting for a better run but not sure if I have the time nor patience for it.

Well, you only have 2 dark mages in your playthrough w/o second sealing.. and you would also miss (character that Tharja unlocks)
Noire, her daughter and all the supports and conv that come with her
since you dont have Tharja in your party so...

The pairings in this game make my head hurt. Seriously

I'm at chapter 17 and I paired :
Chrom with Sumia
Virion with Zelcher

And that's it. If find it very weird though that
you can pair Daraen with Lucina. Weeeird.

Anteo

The pairings in this game make my head hurt. Seriously

I'm at chapter 17 and I paired :
Chrom with Sumia
Virion with Zelcher

And that's it. If find it very weird though that
you can pair Daraen with Lucina. Weeeird.

You can pair MU with anyone of the oposite sex so...
go nowi?

I recently started the game and I have a question. When in the shop, how can I tell if a weapon is better than a one that the character has? Is there a way to do a quick comparison?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So I never completed any Awakening DLC and before Fates, I'm thinking about replaying the entire Awakening campaign and then doing some DLC. How much of the DLC is free and how much do you have to actually pay for? What's it amount to? Also, is it even worth it?

I'm more interested in just the story stuff rather than cosmetics and the like.

Anteo

So I never completed any Awakening DLC and before Fates, I'm thinking about replaying the entire Awakening campaign and then doing some DLC. How much of the DLC is free and how much do you have to actually pay for? What's it amount to? Also, is it even worth it?

I'm more interested in just the story stuff rather than cosmetics and the like.

Spotpass stages and characters are free. Those stages appear on the main map.

Anything from the outrealms is paid dlc. You want either the summer pack for extra conversatons, the future past pack for an alternate future storyline (the future is even worse). The challenge may need some grinding, which you can easly do fast for a price by buying the cheat pack.

The packs with older FE armies are only worth it if you go for the new skills/classes, and even then they are not needed unless you go for the final dlc battle.

So basically, just wait for Fates

Javier

I recently started the game and I have a question. When in the shop, how can I tell if a weapon is better than a one that the character has? Is there a way to do a quick comparison?
If the character has an equipped weapon and you select a better one, you should see a green arrow that indicates by how much the attack raises.

However, it's better to simply learn the weapon types, ranks and stats. Rule of thumb is that Bronze are the weakest, then Iron, then Steel, and finally Silver being the best. Some weapons have unique names and uses, so it's better to read the description and look at its stats. Fool around by touching the various icons and text in the bottom screen, EVERYTHING is explained there.

If the character has an equipped weapon and you select a better one, you should see a green arrow that indicates by how much the attack raises.

However, it's better to simply learn the weapon types, ranks and stats. Rule of thumb is that Bronze are the weakest, then Iron, then Steel, and finally Silver being the best. Some weapons have unique names and uses, so it's better to read the description and look at its stats. Fool around by touching the various icons and text in the bottom screen, EVERYTHING is explained there.

Thanks, is there a particular trick to train most of the units? If I pair them only one get exp because most of the time the support doesn't attack

I bought this game on launch and have 3 save files from each time I've tried to get into it but none of them are over 2 hours. They were all Hard/Classic too.

I decided to go Normal/Casual to see if that helps and I'm having a lot more fun. I'm hoping I can learn enough to start playing on at least Classic with the new games.

I bought this game on launch and have 3 save files from each time I've tried to get into it but none of them are 2 hours. They were all Hard/Classic too.

I decided to go Normal/Casual to see if that helps and I'm having a lot more fun. I'm hoping I can learn enough to start playing on at least Classic with the new games.
Hard is a pain due to same-turn reinforcements. Glad Fates fixes this.

two questions :
1) When I'm in the shop when I check the weapons there's an "active" slot with a number and a red arrow down, what does that mean?
2) How damage is calculated? Sometimes it seems to be attack - defense, but sometimes it's more than that. It's the bonus from a "green arrow up" weapon? How much is that bonus?

Anteo

two questions :
1) When I'm in the shop when I check the weapons there's an "active" slot with a number and a red arrow down, what does that mean?
2) How damage is calculated? Sometimes it seems to be attack - defense, but sometimes it's more than that. It's the bonus from a "green arrow up" weapon? How much is that bonus?

1) That's the damage diference between the current equiped weapon, and the weapon you have selected on the store. In your case, you would be losing 6 damage by downgrading to the item you are selecting

2)It is attack - defense, kind of. Terrain may affect the defense.

About the arrow up: Pretty sure that is the weapon triangle.
Swords > Axe > Lance > Sword

The character that has the advantage gets +1 damage , + 10 Hit%
The other character gets -1 damage, - 10 % hit.

If you are planing to play Fates next, you should know the weapon triangle and a lot of the weapon mechanics were changed.

As a side note, some weapons have an advantage over a class, like Bows vs Flyers, in this case, the base damage of the weapon is tripled before calculations. That is why Archers can OHKO Pegasus Knights.
Wind magic its suposed to be good against Flyers too, but the very first tome has only 1 Attack, making it kind of underwhelming for a counter weapon.

Velcro Fly

Just finished a no grinding and no children run.

Took 20 hours or so.

This was on Normal/Classic.

I had a few rough chapters including the first paralogue.

I find it really hard to use characters that I don't like so I've used a lot of the same units in all three of my playthroughs.

I have actually never used the children during the main story so that might be a new way to play.

For now though I wait for my Fates SE to arrive. Glad I got to play through the game again. Even for a third playthrough there are things I missed or flat out didn't remember.

Best unit by far was Cordelia. My Sumia got RNG fucked hard (had 18 str and 17 magic for like half the game) but Cordelia was awesome. And of course once you get Galeforce in the main story it becomes even worse.

Not sure if I want to do the stat maxing and paralogue hopping that I did on my other file or not.

Anteo

Just finished a no grinding and no children run.

Took 20 hours or so.

This was on Normal/Classic.

I had a few rough chapters including the first paralogue.

I find it really hard to use characters that I don't like so I've used a lot of the same units in all three of my playthroughs.

I have actually never used the children during the main story so that might be a new way to play.

For now though I wait for my Fates SE to arrive. Glad I got to play through the game again. Even for a third playthrough there are things I missed or flat out didn't remember.

Best unit by far was Cordelia. My Sumia got RNG fucked hard (had 18 str and 17 magic for like half the game) but Cordelia was awesome. And of course once you get Galeforce in the main story it becomes even worse.

Not sure if I want to do the stat maxing and paralogue hopping that I did on my other file or not.

Interesting that you got to use Cordelia. In hard her stats are too low to be usefull by the time you recruit her (on no grind).
Now, try it without pair up =P.

I have a DLC question, I played the game for a bit then stopped, I know the dlc is currently on sale, if i bought it then deleted my save to start anew will the dlc be there?

Dee Dee

Haha, I saw this thread bumped and knew why.
I also have DLC questions, since it is on sale.
Since I don't give a hoot about past heroes, as Awakening so far was the only FE I have played (I bought the Wii U Virtual Console ones today too though, since they are on sale), I thought I would just buy the pack with the anime hot springs trip and so on, since it's extra dialogue between the awakening characters.
Are any other packs like that and worth buying at half price? I am okay if you can recommend a specific map as really cool too.

Anteo

DLC is tied to the account, and if downloaded in your console it will work with any copy of the game (digital/physical). iirc If you try to play dlc stuff in a console that doesnt have the DLC (dlc classes or skills you acquired in another console) you will get a default class and a generic skill instead.

NeonZ

Since I don't give a hoot about past heroes, as Awakening so far was the only FE I have played (I bought the Wii U Virtual Console ones today too though, since they are on sale), I thought I would just buy the pack with the anime hot springs trip and so on, since it's extra dialogue between the awakening characters.
Are any other packs like that and worth buying at half price? I am okay if you can recommend a specific map as really cool too.

The 3 Future Past maps have mother/child and actually character specific father/child conversations for everyone besides Morgan. If you finish all three maps accomplishing the optional objects, there's a pretty big special ending sequence in the 3rd one too.

Although they're past hero maps, Lost Bloodlines 2 and Smash Brethren 2 have new classes (Dread Fighter - Sword/Tomes/Axes for men with skills to resist magic and one to cause more damage; Bride - Lance/Bow/Staff for women with support skills, including a weaker version of Rally Spectrum that can be stacked with it) so they might be interesting.

Rogues and Redeemers 3 has a skill that gives +10 caps to every attribute. You don't really need that though unless you want to go through the final DLC map without eugenics (Apotheosis), which has ridiculously strong enemies.

Dee Dee

The 3 Future Past maps have mother/child and actually character specific father/child conversations for everyone besides Morgan. If you finish all three maps accomplishing the optional objects, there's a pretty big special ending sequence in the 3rd one too.

Although they're past hero maps, Lost Bloodlines 2 and Smash Brethren 2 have new classes (Dread Fighter - Sword/Tomes/Axes for men with skills to resist magic and one to cause more damage; Bride - Lance/Bow/Staff for women with support skills, including a weaker version of Rally Spectrum that can be stacked with it) so they might be interesting.

Rogues and Redeemers 3 has a skill that gives +10 caps to every attribute. You don't really need that though unless you want to go through the final DLC map without eugenics (Apotheosis), which has ridiculously strong enemies.

Thanks for the explanation, will definitely look into the Future Past maps then.
New classes sound really cool, but I don't think I will be replaying the game before (or after) Fates hits.

I just bought the weird event map pack, I didn't know it would work that way (you get a map with trash mobs, so you can spend all round talking with each other). Is there a way to tell who will have dialogue options per map? It seems the harvest festival map was only for the children generation troops.

And: I just saw Gerome without a mask. D:
Neato.

Cathcart

Anyone have advice for what to do with Olivia? I picked her up and after a couple of missions realized you can just dance/end turn with a stationary boss. So i did that as a way to barely stay awake through an episode of Daredevil and now she's 30.

So, what do? I assume Galeforce but what's a good class path?

Thanks.

Zee-Row

Banned
I maxed out Corrins second class but what do I do next? I already used a master seal the first time. Do I use a dread scroll or ebon wing?

Top Bottom