• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates Translation Project CEASED

sensui-tomo

I found the English version translation to be kind of ass, and was interested because I had been told that the Japanese version conveyed what the characters were better.

Not everything is GG anti censorship nonsense. I wanted to know if this was an FF8 situation.

I've always wondered, did anyone ever release a mod for the steam version of ff8 that had a better translation? Wish i could find that article that went into great detail about changes in that game. (hell i know the whole last battle dialog is completely different)

Moonlight

Banned
I hope the torch is picked up by a team that has any sort of respect for the idea of acceptably written prose. I had no problem at all with the idea of the project, but it was plainly obvious basically no one on that team had any interest at all in the art of translation more than the technicality of it. So many poorly edited sentences and lines of dialogue completely tonedeaf to the way people actually speak in the language it was technically translated to. Just tons of amateur stuff that I couldn't bring myself to get past.

Kazer

Who is now going to save us from great localization that is totally fine if you are not an insane person

^

Because people are really bitter about the localization changes.

Also these dudes always rubbed me the wrong way. Reminder they basically threatened Patrick Klepek.

CcAwtrZWEAEYCba.png:large

Wow, what a bunch of shitheads.

Yukinari

Im really curious to see the reaction when Nintendo finally releases Mother 3 in the west.

What happens if the Magypsies get changed in the Treehouse version? Would people have this sarcastic tone about censorship still if such major characters got modified?

Eila

I hope the torch is picked up by a team that has any sort of respect for the idea of acceptably written prose. I had no problem at all with the idea of the project, but it was plainly obvious basically no one on that team had any interest at all in the art of translation more than the technicality of it. So many poorly edited sentences and lines of dialogue completely tonedeaf to the way people actually speak in the language it was technically translated to. Just tons of amateur stuff that I couldn't bring myself to get past.

I think the restoration patch with optional japanese dub and only the most liberal localization changes edited would end up superior to any fan-translation effort possible.

People wanted a non treehouse changed product. something akin to a director's cut if you will (even if the dialogue was messy on the translation side)

These people aren't directors though. Plus their work so far was kind of shitty.

Their time would be better spent on games that never got localized.

RM8

Im really curious to see the reaction when Nintendo finally releases Mother 3 in the west.

What happens if the Magypsies get changed in the Treehouse version? Would people have this sarcastic tone about censorship still if such major characters got modified?
Mother 3 doesn't pander to horny teenagers in any way, so I doubt most people would care.

sensui-tomo

These people aren't directors though. Plus their work so far was kind of shitty.

Their time would be better spent on games that never got localized.

I'm just trying to give the best answer i can give. But I agree, time is better spent on games we have no chance of getting, (like yakuza restoration/that samurai ps3 only one, Love plus 3ds/ digimon Re:digitized 3ds, medabots/ anything)

I mean if the same ridiculous pushback happens, probably.

No surprise. The game has thousands of lines of dialogue and the cherrypicking of a few of them isn't enough to say it's a "butchered" translation.

Preach. To cite a specific example, Hisame was one of my main units in Birthright and I never once saw him mention pickles in any battle quotes or support conversation.

Those people need to play Cyber Sleuth for a bad translation.

Don't forget the One Piece: PW trilogy or J-Stars Victory Vs.+

No surprise. The game has thousands of lines of dialogue and the cherrypicking of a few of them isn't enough to say it's a "butchered" translation. Those people need to play Cyber Sleuth for a bad translation.

That's odd considering there's very little chance Captain Rainbow is going to get localized. Unless Nintendo surprises us with "Captain Rainbow HD for NX".

Cyber Sleuth's translation is good and accurate to the the original, it's the rest of the localization (ie editing, programming) that brings it down.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Mother 3 doesn't pander to horny teenagers in any way, so I doubt most people would care.

I mean I've even noticed (perhaps it's a "joke") there being fears of Sun and Moon getting "ruined" by Treehouse due to censorship so I feel like basically every future Nintendo game outside of like the storyless ones like Kirby and Mario will have the same group of people trying to push it into a big issue.

I mean I've even noticed (perhaps it's a "joke") there being fears of Sun and Moon getting "ruined" by Treehouse due to censorship so I feel like basically every future Nintendo game outside of like the storyless ones like Kirby and Mario will have the same group of people trying to push it into a big issue.

sadly to some people it's not a joke... heck, some websites were like "fear not! pokemon sun & moon will not be translated by treehouse!" >.>

kswiston

Fan translating something like Fire emblem is a lot of work and 90%+ of the game's audience is fine with what they got, even if they weren't happy to see some changes. Why waste effort when you can translate something that was skipped for localization and would bring more recognition to your efforts?

rhandino

Banned
sadly to some people it's not a joke... heck, some websites were like "fear not! pokemon sun & moon will not be translated by treehouse!" >.>
They would be WAY late to the party, I can't remember the last mainline Pokemon game in which the Treehouse has worked if any.

zashga

Not very surprising. Translating the entire script of a text-heavy RPG (or three) has got to be a ton of work. You'd have to be super passionate about it to actually follow through on that. A project fueled partially (mostly?) by spite was bound to fizzle out once the rubber hit the road.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't think Treehouse even does Pokemon games?

They never did. Right now it's TPCi.
Honestly the Treehouse witch hunt is getting tiresome. They're among the best localization team in the country but because they believe in creative liberties (something every translation does) they're suddenly worse than 4Kids.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The only thing changed in characterization was that ellipsis support, which was just one of many. The vast majority of characterization was left intact and the Torrential Downpour thing pretty much cherrypicked a small few samples of dialogue and blew them into being much more than they were (before the game even came out to boot).

Aside from that, the fanslation would've been the same game but with facetouching, swimsuits, and a much blander script. It was just an unnecessary effort.

Oh man, this really separates fan subbers from the professionals.
And the best professionals in this industry to boot.

I'm just trying to give the best answer i can give. But I agree, time is better spent on games we have no chance of getting, (like yakuza restoration/that samurai ps3 only one, Love plus 3ds/ digimon Re:digitized 3ds, medabots/ anything)

Ah gotcha.

I can't believe people wanted the literal translation. That was hella bland

I've got an inkling that this was more about these guys being upset about the cut swimsuit and face rubbing stuff but acting instead like it was a whole "the purity of the original text has been tarnished" thing to justify what they were doing. It wouldn't surprise me anyway. I have trouble believing that anyone who really cares about language and feeling and mood of a story would've churned out that bland piece of crap and acted like they were proud of it.

I've always wondered, did anyone ever release a mod for the steam version of ff8 that had a better translation? Wish i could find that article that went into great detail about changes in that game. (hell i know the whole last battle dialog is completely different)

Oh, how badly was FF8 affected? I never got the impression that it was butchered or anything, but games from that era I can believe someone when they say they were changed significantly.

I can't believe people wanted the literal translation. That was hella bland

Agreed. That image in particular just shows how the localization has more favour and substance.

Ah gotcha.I've got an inkling that this was more about these guys being upset about the cut swimsuit and face rubbing stuff but acting instead like it was a whole "the purity of the original text has been tarnished" thing to justify what they were doing. It wouldn't surprise me anyway. I have trouble believing that anyone who really cares about language and feeling and mood of a story would've churned out that bland piece of crap and acted like they were proud of it.

Even several of the translators have stated that they never expected their fan translation to surpass the localization. Heck the fan translation originally started just to translate the menus when the game came out in Japan before deciding to go the whole way through.

Zelias

Banned
No big loss. Even if the translation had provided us with a more faithful rendering of the script, it was too dry, bland, and stilted to be enjoyable - a common mistake with these amateur efforts. Reckon I'll take Treehouse's version.

NoKisum

Aren't these fan translations usually done for games that seemingly have no chance of being localized? Or at least of being translated to a specific language?

Was there ever danger that FE Fates wouldn't come West at all? Were sales of Awakening miserable?

Aren't these fan translations usually done for games that seemingly have no chance of being localized? Or at least of being translated to a specific language?

Was there ever danger that FE Fates wouldn't come West at all? Were sales of Awakening miserable?

No, people just weren't satisfied with the translation they got, among other things.

Good.

Not everything is GG anti censorship nonsense.

Not every thing, no just this particular thing.

You wonder if, were a completely different thing to happen to a different game, people would nonetheless react as if it were the same thing? That dog don't hunt.

Awakening, if I'm not wrong, was the best selling game in the franchise and literally saved the series from getting completely canned. There was never a doubt that Fates would see release outside of Japan.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Awakening had some of the best sales ever. Fates was even better (Birthright made the Top 10 in the February NPD).
Really I'm not entirely sure why this was being made. Other than the cherrypicked weird lines in a game with TONS AND TONS of text and somehow that makes it awful.

Ridley327

No, this was started out of a fear that Treehouse would completely mangle the script and thus required a to-the-letter translation in response. It was a tempest in a Barbie-sized teacup.

Eila

No and no. I think they originally just wanted to translate the menus so they could play it earlier but then decided to translate the whole game.

sensui-tomo

Oh, how badly was FF8 affected? I never got the impression that it was butchered or anything, but games from that era I can believe someone when they say they were changed significantly.

Trying to find a document that had a huge list of the differences but here are two i could find immediately.
SITUATION:
When asked at G-Garden whether she still liked Seifer

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
Rinoa: If I didn't, I wouldn't be talking about it.

ORIGINAL:
Rinoa: If I did I couldn't talk about it like this.
SITUATION:
Edea's ascension speech

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
Edea: How you celebrate my ascension with such joy. Hailing the very one whom you have condemned for generations. Have you no shame? What happened to the evil, ruthless sorceress from your fantasies? The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now? She stands before your very eyes to become your new ruler. HAHAHAHAHA.

Squall: ...?

Edea: A new era has just begun.

Deling: E-Edea...Are you alright...? Ede...! (Edea kills him)

Edea: This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show. Rest assured, you fools. Your time will come. This is only the beginning. Let us start a new reign of terror. I will let you live a fantasy beyond your imagination. ... Let us end this ceremony with a sacrifice.

ORIGINAL:
Edea: We witches have lived in your fantasies for generations--foolish fantasies of your own creation. Witches garbed in terrible apparel, who curse and kill innocents with cruel rituals. They use merciless spells to burn green fields and freeze your warm hometowns... How boring."

Deling: ...?

Edea: Do you breathe sighs of relief because the fearsome witch of your imagination is on your side? Which of us is the one that dreams, fantasy upon fantasy?

Deling: E-Edea...What are you... Ede...! (Edea kills him)

Edea: Reality is not so sweet. Reality is never so sweet. So run, fools, into your fantasies. In the fevered world of your imagination will I dance for you! The witch of terror shall dance through all of eternity. You and I together will create the ultimate fantasy. In it even life and death are but an exquisite dream. Eternal be the witch and the fantasy! Eternal be Galbadia, her slave! ... Oh yes, an evil witch needs a sacrifice and a cruel ritual.
Note Sorceress was changed from Witch

No and no. I think they originally just wanted to translate the menus so they could play it earlier but then decided to translate the whole game.

It kinda sounds like it started out as something simple and benign and then got swallowed up in GG's greasy maw.

Trying to find a document that had a huge list of the differences but here are two i could find immediately.

Hmm...I honestly kinda like the version of Edea's speech that we got better than the original, to be honest. They are quite different though.

udivision

When are they gonna announce their Star Fox Zero translation? The idiots at Nintendo had to gall to include a reference to a barrel roll in the game, and I don't think that was Miyamoto's original, pure-as-blue-crystal intent.

That makes more sense.

Top Bottom