• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| The Romance of Three Houses, or "Hogwarts SRPG"

Gexxy1

And Eagles only get 15? Why, Lord, WHY!?!?!? Is there a justification for it?
Just finished it. It's 17 or 18 chapters. Definitely not 15.

Great game overall. Loved the BE route and Edelgard's journey especially. Not sure if I have any interest in playing the other routes, even for the story nuances(and I've already looked up how those routes play out anyway). Might replay the BE route someday. Would not mind additional DLC expanding on that route.

I think the weakest part of the game was how the timeskip occurred.
You get knocked out and float down a river for 5 years
...that was really dumb. The only complaint specific to the route I played was the Flame Emperor reveal. You get a choice at that point, but it's sudden and you don't have context for the choice.
You know Rhea is hiding some dark shit and she's hard to trust, but you don't know what exactly, and you also know Edelgard isn't just some brute who wants to murder people for fun, but you don't know why exactly at the time the game forces you to choose between the two.

Some other minor quibbles, like a lack of details here and there, but overall a great game. Go Black Eagles.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Some other minor quibbles, like a lack of details here and there, but overall a great game. Go Black Eagles.
Is this the popular reddit opinion because of Daenerys?

You will really reconsider this when playing the other routes.
So the empire experiments on her. So she in turn starts a war and decides to kill the two other people that will eventually tell the church to fuck off in their routes only for her to rule with all the power? She proceeds to experiment on students as well. Hypocrite much? Even on the other routes she is forgiven and she STILL backstabs people. Also she NEVER gets back at the person in her empire that did all those experiments on her because fuck Rhea?

But yeah fuck Rhea

ffpbYGV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nester99

what is the command to turn back time again, i was watching baseball during the tutorial ;(

I tend to want to rush battle these games like i did in ValkC, i guess sacrificing a damage sponge is a no go in this game.
If i lose students how do i get more?

I tried to recruit some ppl early but they said no way jose.

Gexxy1

Is this the popular reddit opinion because of Daenerys?

You will really reconsider this when playing the other routes.
If you read the entirety of my post you'd realize I said I had already said I looked up what happened in the other routes.

And I hate Daenerys, so that comparison is terrible.

So the empire experiments on her. So she in turn starts a war and decides to kill the two other people that will eventually tell the church to fuck off in their routes only for her to rule with all the power? She proceeds to experiment on students as well. Hypocrite much? Even on the other routes she is forgiven and she STILL backstabs people. Also she NEVER gets back at the person in her empire that did all those experiments on her because fuck Rhea?
I'm actually wondering if you played (or looked up) the other routes now.

Not sure where you get the experimentation on students. If it's from the Nightcrawler part, she condones those actions vehemously (at least in the BE route, that scene might not be there in the other routes). And they destroy them in the epilogue. If you're talking about something specific regarding the other routes that she did during the gameplay, I'd also like to point out that the same thing happens in the BE route. Dedue gives crest stones to soldiers and they turn into monsters. He then takes one and does the same thing. Dimitri condones this initially, but ultimately goes along with it. There is also at least one other map where the Kingdom shows up with transformed monsters in tow. Also, the BE route has zero monsters with them, even in maps with allies.

I'm not sure to what degree you mean when you say "and the other two routes tell the church to fuck off" when Dimitri is actively defending the church in every route. Because Rhea steps down at the end of those routes?

Understandably, the game doesn't give you diplomacy options with the other houses during the war (wouldn't make for much gameplay that way), but I find it significantly more disturbing that some of their followers refuse to see even the slightest possibility that the church/Rhea represents everything wrong with the world.

Having looked up the other routes/endings and watched it on youtube I do strongly prefer the Black Eagles route (although I can also understand why some would strongly oppose it). For me, other than character/aesthetic purposes, these are the best reasons:

a) It is the only route where you take down Rhea/Church, which is the greatest evil in the world besides Nightcrawler. And they get killed offscreen in the the epilogue. It is worth mentioning that Rhea does die in the Church route if you don't S-rank her though.

b) I believe it is also the only route where you lose your crest and regain your heartbeat (and presumably your emotions/humanity).

c) She redefines the class system and devalues crests, making the world the closest to what our modern society is like. This declasses the nobles and allows commoners to finally make their way up into the world, without being squashed by those in power.

d) She is only lord of the three who eventually abdicates from the throne, leaving it to a worthy successor unaffiliated with her. Whether you agree with her or not, she clearly did not do this as a thirst for power, but for her ideals.

e) Tongue-in-cheek, but the ideal endings of a unified Fodlan for the other routes are in part only possible because Edelgard declared war in the first place.

Shouta

what is the command to turn back time again, i was watching baseball during the tutorial ;(

I tend to want to rush battle these games like i did in ValkC, i guess sacrificing a damage sponge is a no go in this game.

ZL. You can rewind to the very beginning of the battle if you need to

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

ZL button.

You can reread the tutorials in the menu.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If you read the entirety of my post you'd realize I said I had already said I looked up what happened in the other routes.

And I hate Daenerys, so that comparison is terrible.

I'm actually wondering if you played (or looked up) the other routes now.

Not sure where you get the experimentation on students. If it's from the Nightcrawler part, she condones those actions vehemously (at least in the BE route, that scene might not be there in the other routes). And they destroy them in the epilogue. If you're talking about something specific regarding the other routes that she did during the gameplay, I'd also like to point out that the same thing happens in the BE route. Dedue gives crest stones to soldiers and they turn into monsters. He then takes one and does the same thing. Dimitri condones this initially, but ultimately goes along with it. There is also at least one other map where the Kingdom shows up with transformed monsters in tow. Also, the BE route has zero monsters with them, even in maps with allies.

I'm not sure to what degree you mean when you say "and the other two routes tell the church to fuck off" when Dimitri is actively defending the church in every route. Because Rhea steps down at the end of those routes?

Understandably, the game doesn't give you diplomacy options with the other houses during the war (wouldn't make for much gameplay that way), but I find it significantly more disturbing that some of their followers refuse to see even the slightest possibility that the church/Rhea represents everything wrong with the world.

Having looked up the other routes/endings and watched it on youtube I do strongly prefer the Black Eagles route (although I can also understand why some would strongly oppose it). For me, other than character/aesthetic purposes, these are the best reasons:

a) It is the only route where you take down Rhea/Church, which is the greatest evil in the world besides Nightcrawler. And they get killed offscreen in the the epilogue. It is worth mentioning that Rhea does die in the Church route if you don't S-rank her though.

b) I believe it is also the only route where you lose your crest and regain your heartbeat (and presumably your emotions/humanity).

c) She redefines the class system and devalues crests, making the world the closest to what our modern society is like. This declasses the nobles and allows commoners to finally make their way up into the world, without being squashed by those in power.

d) She is only lord of the three who eventually abdicates from the throne, leaving it to a worthy successor unaffiliated with her. Whether you agree with her or not, she clearly did not do this as a thirst for power, but for her ideals.

e) Tongue-in-cheek, but the ideal endings of a unified Fodlan for the other routes are in part only possible because Edelgard declared war in the first place.

Looking up other routes on youtube (ending) isn't the same as interacting or taking the story apart. There is a reason why a person is evil/final boss for 3/4 of routes. You should try the other routes.

Don't read this unless you already beat Dimitri's route.
You think Rhea was the worst evil in the world? Really? Not the person that just killed 2/3 of the population in every route over crests? All so that she could hand ABSOLUTE power to another person? Do you have any idea what that even means for the world? A world far worse than Rhea could ever offer. For one Rhea did NOT have all the power like Edelgard has in the end. It is like if you removed China and Russia and just had the US hold nukes and for it to only be one world president with god powers. Her taking out the classes means dick when she already did all this and actually made the world a worst place. The fact the ending had magic take care of things makes it one of the worst endings in FE since...Echoes.

It doesn't matter if you don't condone experiments on others yourself if you are still allied (and you command) with those people to justify your means of tearing down "real" evil. That just makes you a hypocrite and evil.
She did everything wrong, if she had actually wanted to change the world she would have gotten rid of Dr.Mengele first and not cry about crests.

You see the girl in my avatar? She was ONLY person that survived a series of experiments done by the Empire. She has 3 years left to live, what did Edelgard do for her? Right.

What bothers me is that an evil route is fine as long as you know what you did was fucked. But when you just literally say cope while you murder others isn't an actual justification of all your past deeds nor does it make it good. Rhea might have killed Byleth's mom trying to bring her own mom back but in 5 years Edelgard matched and beat her carnage in the worst possible way.

Gexxy1

Looking up other routes on youtube (ending) isn't the same as interacting or taking the story apart. There is a reason why a person is evil/final boss for 3/4 of routes. You should try the other routes.
Strongly disagree. And this would apply to you as well for the BE route, so "Pot calling the kettle black" much?

And the
2/3rd the population dead
in the spoiler? Source it or I'm calling BS. Regardless I already pointed out that different characters take (somewhat) different actions on different routes. Oh, and if it's Lysithea in your avatar and that's what you mean by the ending bit, I'd like to point out she's

a) easy to recruit- as I did- and wholeheartedly supports Edelgard in monastery coversations

b) Goes up to A support with Edelgard.

c) You don't have to kill a single GD character in the BE route. You don't even have to recruit most (possibly all) of them to not kill them, either.

All of this is notwithstanding though. I already stated my reasons for preferring the BE route. I like the grey aspect of it and it's the first time FE has presented an interesting female lord. There's plenty of positive things regarding the ending too. In some ways, the ending is better than the others, which I pointed out. I'm done talking about this though. Of course anyone who prefers the other two houses (especially the BL) aren't going to like her. "The ends justify the means" seems fitting here.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
After I lost a student in battle, with permadeath on, and then there wasn't even an acknowledgement he was gone and seemingly no replacement/recruitment system, I realize that the permadeath concept was just tacked on and not really designed into the game. It doesn't seem worth playing with permadeath because there's no mechanism to replace students. Games like XCOM and BATTLETECH do it right with the ability to recruit new soldiers.

Or am I missing something?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
After I lost a student in battle, with permadeath on, and then there wasn't even an acknowledgement he was gone and seemingly no replacement/recruitment system, I realize that the permadeath concept was just tacked on and not really designed into the game. It doesn't seem worth playing with permadeath because there's no mechanism to replace students. Games like XCOM and BATTLETECH do it right with the ability to recruit new soldiers.

Or am I missing something?

The game was designed with permadeath from the outset, just like every Fire Emblem ever.

You can recruit from other houses if you raise your knowledge of specific attributes or gain high enough support levels. They tell you this very very early on.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I can't @ other member properly!
Disagree on what? She is the evil final boss in every single other route. Wut.

You know your students support ANYBODY you support right? It all depends on the route you take. They have different dialogue unique to said route outside their support. I'm sure Ly wasn't happy in any route about her being a lab rat but ok. Maybe if you played other routes you'd know that. Maybe you'd know she also has A support with Claude and Dimitri? Hmmm

2/3 people dying I'm gonna need a soure-

Most of the land ravaged by death it is what wakes you up post time skip. It is what Sothis the benevolent feels and wakes you to stop it. When you awake most of the fighting has died down considerably since sides have taken heavy loses. Which is why you are within a few months able to end the war. It is just common sense there.

It is fine if you prefer a route but it doesn't mean it can't be criticized for the actions somebody took. Or the fact that Dimitri in his route didn't kill Edelgard when he had the chance only to get backstabbed.

PMNHNMP.jpg

She's such a cute piece of shit.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just finished it. I was BE. I really enjoyed the characters in this faction. I didn't even bother trying to recruit out of house. There were a few I was not sold on at the beginning and they all really won me over as the game progressed.

Here are some spoilers about the choices I made. They seemed different from what others have done. It was 21 or 22 chapters.

I didn't side with Edelgard, I sided with the church. I fought her. Rhea got captured. Killed Edelgard, freed Rhea, became leader, killed those other bozos and then had to fight Rhea at the end because she was injured and lost control. I became ruler and I married Dorothea.

Komatsu

On my second playthrough - though the Blue Lions have my favorite set of characters, this route does seem a bit underwhelming when compared to the Black Eagles

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You know outside of this clearly being a 3DS port because it looks like my foot. My biggest complaint that even trumps the story has to be
GUNDAMS AND DUBSTEP
What the fuck were they thinking?
Bring forth the dlc

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
You know outside of this clearly being a 3DS port because it looks like my foot. My biggest complaint that even trumps the story has to be
GUNDAMS AND DUBSTEP
What the fuck were they thinking?
Bring forth the dlc
fhpk4s651ox01.png

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Is it weird I kinda hate Heroes? I know I should like it but I just can't get into it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Know nothing about this but bought because my buddy wanted to game share and he bought marvel ultimate alliance 3.

Wish me luck friends.

Komatsu

The S Rank conversations (I played the final chapter twice, first choosing Shamir, then Ingrid) were lightyears ahead of the ham fest that was Fire Emblem Fates.

JohannCK

Interview with Yokota and Kusakihara (the two directors)

-Game has been in development since the Fates release
-Most of the development was handled by Koei Tecmo's Nobunaga/Three Kingdoms dev team
-They came up with the three houses/countries idea after the Koei Tecmo team came onboard, because Three Kingdoms
-Class/skill system is inspired by Koei's Zill O'll
-Expansion may add new characters
-Lunatic will be added later in a free update

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Why did Intelligent Systems hand off the bulk of development to Koei Tecmo? Have they done this before? Does that mean they are also working on something else? ADVANCE WARS?!!!

First I’m hearing of this. So many questions.

Komatsu

Why did Intelligent Systems hand off the bulk of development to Koei Tecmo? Have they done this before? Does that mean they are also working on something else? ADVANCE WARS?!!!

First I’m hearing of this. So many questions.

AFAIK this is the first time a mainline FE is developed outside IS. It had been 12 years since their last home console entry - makes one wonder if the skillset wasn’t there anymore.

mcz117chief

Some things I have on my mind:

1) I fucking LOVE how the music changes during battle, that while you are in man mode you got flutes and when you are looking at a battle scene is shifts to drums and horns. Fucking amazing. Reminds me of Drakengard 3, it was the same there with the Intoner mode that intensified the music and added vocals.

2) How long did it take you to figure out how to control the little guy during loading screens? It took me like two days before I figured it out :D

3) Ferdinand is Protoss, he literally says "I am Ferdinand Von Aiur" ;)

4) Those animations during battle are insanely awesome. Like, for example, all the critical strikes (PC's reverse grip pirouette that makes enemies blast off into space is just savage), but my favorite are horse archery arts, how the horse does this insane spin during which the archer fires his/her arrow. Absolutely ludicrous, but way too awesome to criticize.

5) Bernadette is just the cutest, unmarriageable my ass. Also Casper x Dorothea interactions are absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
2) How long did it take you to figure out how to control the little guy during loading screens? It took me like two days before I figured it out :D
Had no idea you can control him (unless you’re having a laugh).

Those chibi sprites do make me long for a GBA style FE though.

mcz117chief

Had no idea you can control him (unless you’re having a laugh).

Those chibi sprites do make me long for a GBA style FE though.
You can make him move by tilting the Switch and B button makes him/her jump (the jumping I figured out instantly, but the running I couldn't figure out for a long time).

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
You can make him move by tilting the Switch and B button makes him/her jump (the jumping I figured out instantly, but the running I couldn't figure out for a long time).
If you move him back and forward quickly you can make him do a wavedash. Blyeth confirmed for Smash Bros.

wvnative

Is this game fairly accessible for those new to SRPGS? I only messed around in Final Fantasy Tactics like 10 years ago but didn't get very far. Tried to get into this franchise via Fire Emblem Awakening, but ended up giving my 3DS to a kid who wanted a handheld console shortly after I bought Awakening, so again, couldn't get very far.

I grow tired of games that have a lot of fluff, does this suffer from that? The school stuff looks annoying but hearing it really isn't?

Based on all the footage and youtube reviews, I think it looks like a fun game and I'm trying to buy as many large lengthy single player games to last me until March 3rd, but I am just not sure if I will like this or not or if it will get tiring.

mcz117chief

Is this game fairly accessible for those new to SRPGS? I only messed around in Final Fantasy Tactics like 10 years ago but didn't get very far. Tried to get into this franchise via Fire Emblem Awakening, but ended up giving my 3DS to a kid who wanted a handheld console shortly after I bought Awakening, so again, couldn't get very far.

I grow tired of games that have a lot of fluff, does this suffer from that? The school stuff looks annoying but hearing it really isn't?

Based on all the footage and youtube reviews, I think it looks like a fun game and I'm trying to buy as many large lengthy single player games to last me until March 3rd, but I am just not sure if I will like this or not or if it will get tiring.
Yeah, it is very lenient. If you play on normal difficulty you can play as many random battles as you want to lvl up your dudes and dudettes. The school stuff is awesome just like the battles. The good thing is that before you get bored of battles you are back in school and before you get bored of school you are back in battle so it keeps this great balance and you are always looking forward to more.

Last edited:

wvnative

Yeah, it is very lenient. If you play on normal difficulty you can play as many random battles as you want to lvl up your dudes and dudettes. The school stuff is awesome just like the battles. The good thing is that before you get bored of battles you are back in school and before you get bored of school you are back in battle so it keeps this great balance and you are always looking forward to more.

Is the ramp up in rewards/power fairly even? Should I look out for anything specific to do to get decently strong?

Hoping I don't miss anything and end up too weak and have to grind.

This might sound redundant, but I do want to play with perma death, but just in case I chicken out, can saves be rolled back in case someone I really like meets an unfortunate fate?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well I didn't know how the save system in these games worked. Didn't know if they use auto save or 1 save slot or if they have multiple manual save slots.
Autosave only saves the autosave file all the other save files have to be saved manually.

mcz117chief

Is the ramp up in rewards/power fairly even? Should I look out for anything specific to do to get decently strong?

Hoping I don't miss anything and end up too weak and have to grind.

This might sound redundant, but I do want to play with perma death, but just in case I chicken out, can saves be rolled back in case someone I really like meets an unfortunate fate?
Perma death is stupid, it doesn't add anything. The game is about relationships, so by allowing your characters to die you are cutting off massive amount of content thereby devaluing your gaming experience massively. I am about 30 hours in and so far the difficulty is very manageable, I never felt like I needed to grind much but I do enjoy the combat a ton so I usually play 1 or 2 extra missions. The only thing I would recommend is always look at the map before the battle starts and distribute chest keys when necessary, other than that just juggle skills and arts depending on the situation, the usual stuff.

mcz117chief

@Whataburger is there any point in certing one person into multiple classes within the same level (like having certs in three advanced classes)? Does it add anything like stats or anything?

Shaqazooloo

So, i've been playing quite a bit of this and i'm in love. It's been a while since a game has been able to hold my attention for hours. I'm at about 19 hours and i'm really taking my time, the chapter 5 map took me 2 hours to get through, if theirs 22 or so chapters this is gonna be a long game for me.

I'm really happy with how this turned out, I was afraid it was gonna be too much like echoes and I wouldn't enjoy it, glad to have that fear put to rest.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
@Whataburger is there any point in certing one person into multiple classes within the same level (like having certs in three advanced classes)? Does it add anything like stats or anything?
I don't think so. The only reason you would stick to a certain class and advance from there is for things like the Death Knight class or w/e it is called.

mcz117chief

I don't think so. The only reason you would stick to a certain class and advance from there is for things like the Death Knight class or w/e it is called.
You know that green/red bar beneath your char when you cert him, right? Is that like a power level? The amount of stat bonuses/penalties the character gets when he switches charts? I was thinking about this because when you cert someone in a class they get a stat bonus which I assume is permanent. Therefore if you cert them in multiple classes they might get a ton of stat bonuses. Just a thought.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You know that green/red bar beneath your char when you cert him, right? Is that like a power level? The amount of stat bonuses/penalties the character gets when he switches charts? I was thinking about this because when you cert someone in a class they get a stat bonus which I assume is permanent. Therefore if you cert them in multiple classes they might get a ton of stat bonuses. Just a thought.
I thought that was just mastering the class itself. When my Byleth went thru 7 levels under mage her magic stats barely increased. Also changing classes show lowers stats based on the class. All classes have penalties. Like a mage having less defense and so on.

Ulysses 31

Perma death is stupid, it doesn't add anything. The game is about relationships, so by allowing your characters to die you are cutting off massive amount of content thereby devaluing your gaming experience massively. I am about 30 hours in and so far the difficulty is very manageable, I never felt like I needed to grind much but I do enjoy the combat a ton so I usually play 1 or 2 extra missions. The only thing I would recommend is always look at the map before the battle starts and distribute chest keys when necessary, other than that just juggle skills and arts depending on the situation, the usual stuff.
Permadeath does add something, you have to consider the consequences for the future if the unit dies. You want to know how the unit's personality develops in the game, then you gotta earn it by not letting them die. A game about war and relationships where you can lose valuable units permanently is not a sin against game design.

They made a casual setting for people who don't want to risk losing characters. :lollipop_grinning:

Top Bottom