• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fired for Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

"I would like to find another job, but I would take that job back because I need to work," she said. "It upset me and made me mad that he could put a letter in my check expressing his (political) opinion, but I can't put something on my car expressing mine."

She was referring to a flier that she said Gaddis placed in employee envelopes to remind them of the positive impact that President Bush's policies have had on them. An employee at the plant who would not identify himself confirmed the contents of the letter.

Gobbell provided a copy of the flier. It says:

"Just so you will know, because of the Bush tax (cut):
# I was able to buy the new Hammer Mill
# I was able to finance our receivables
# I was able to get the new CAT skid steer
# I was able to get the wire cutter
# I was able to give you a job"

Do'h.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Holy sh*t but why did she decide not to go to the lawyer after consulting with him? I'm sure the lawyer was probably licking his chops at this seemingly wrongful termination easy win lawsuit.

SKluck said:
Kinda shitty, but it is his property and his plant.
Business owners have to follow employment rules... He's going to have to provide a valid work related reason for the termination... and a bumper stick isn't it.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
little does her employer realize, but he's helping the Kerry campaign - lawsuits like the one that will come out of this make people like Edwards rich!

Kinda shitty, but it is his property and his plant.

Right. Good thing I'm going to start my own business, so I don't have to hire any of those black people! I mean, it is my buisiness and all :rolleyes

Willco

Hollywood Square
Hopefully this woman will sue for a billion dollars and some change and will never have to work again. What would I do if I got that much money? I'd buy the plant and fire that dick.

impirius

Nerevar said:
little does her employer realize, but he's helping the Kerry campaign - lawsuits like the one that will come out of this make people like Edwards rich!
Hahahaha... Edwards should take the case himself! Now THAT would be a publicity stunt worth watching

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
"I would like to find another job, but I would take that job back because I need to work," she said. "It upset me and made me mad that he could put a letter in my check expressing his (political) opinion, but I can't put something on my car expressing mine."

She was referring to a flier that she said Gaddis placed in employee envelopes to remind them of the positive impact that President Bush's policies have had on them. An employee at the plant who would not identify himself confirmed the contents of the letter.
rolleyes.gif

She should sue the fuckstick.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
But... she walked into his office unannounced, interrupting what was probably a very important meeting about finger cots, and gave lip to her boss. The situation probably upset him so much he lost his appetite and had to skip a power lunch, losing thousands of potential dollars for his company. Those dollars could have gone to hiring an even fatter woman, who actually appreciates the work and respects her superiors. If you don't think that deserves termination, you'll probably be standing behind her soon in the unemployment line!

Re-appoint Bush/Cheney 2004!

Acrylamid

darscot said:
So much for freedom and democracy and John Titor.
fixed...
Considering how many "democracy doomed"-threads have shown up in the last time, someone should design a Titowned-pic before the year is over (and civil war will (not) have started).
In the meantime, this pic should do the work:
titor.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
'I reckon you're fired. You could either work for him or John Kerry,' " Gobbell said.

There's a guy at my job who supports Bush, but I'd never fire him if he had a Bush/Cheney bumper-sticker on his car (even though I'd want to :p)

What a sued-bastard.

This is a clear-cut case of someone being fired for gross stupidity. He asked her to remove a bumper sticker from her car, and she somehow took that as him forcing her to vote for Bush.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Everdred said:
This is a clear-cut case of someone being fired for gross stupidity. He asked her to remove a bumper sticker from her car, and she somehow took that as him forcing her to vote for Bush.

You seem to be missing the larger point that as her boss, he has no authority over her political beliefs, nor can she be fired for expressing them.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Everdred said:
Are you always this obtuse, or is today a special occasion?

If my employees do not project the image I want for my business, they're fired. End of story. Sorry, sensative people. Suck it up and move on.

Tortfeasor

DarienA said:
Holy sh*t but why did she decide not to go to the lawyer after consulting with him? I'm sure the lawyer was probably licking his chops at this seemingly wrongful termination easy win lawsuit.

Business owners have to follow employment rules... He's going to have to provide a valid work related reason for the termination... and a bumper stick isn't it.

Although I am not aware of the law in Alabama, most states have at-will employment laws. That means that in most situations you can be fired for no reason, and none has to be given. You can not be fired for reasons that violate certain anti-discrimination laws, but political affiliation isn't a protected class. Unless she had an employment contract that specified that she could only be fired under cause or Alabama is an at-cause state, her firing is totally legal.

You would be suprised at the amount of discriminatory things that most people can be fired for, including age... The protected class for age discrimination only starts at age 40. Anyone under that age can legally be discriminated against for age in matters of employment. The big protected classes are age over 40, sex, religion, and race.

/end legal lesson :)

Oh cmon, it's just bait.

If anybody seriously thinks people can be dictated by their boss to remove a bumper sticker, let tham speak now.

Regardless of your political persuasion, that's pretty counter to some fundamental ideals the nation was founded on.

Tortfeasor

xsarien said:
...nor can she be fired for expressing them.

Yes she can. Freedom of speech is a right guaranteed by the federal gov't and by the states by virtue of the 14th amendment. It is not guaranteed by small businesses.

...just a note:

My government professor for Texas government is a die-hard democrat, but, being the former judge and intelligent person he is, he understands business. He says, and I quote, "I vote Republican because I like my money, err... what little money I have. In the future, if I do happen to make a great living, I'd like my income protected, so that is why I vote Republican."

Some people just don't understand the workings of businesses. I can't make a blanket statement covering my whole ethos, but for the most part, the liberals I meet and have encountered in the business world don't seem to understand how business and the politics of the workplace function. There is not much room for being sensative and expressing one's self.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Tortfeasor said:
Yes she can. Freedom of speech is a right guaranteed by the federal gov't and by the states by virtue of the 14th amendment. It is not guaranteed by small businesses.

If you're not allowed to fire someone based on religion, gender, sexual preference, race, or disability, you sure as shit are not allowed to fire them for wanting John Kerry to win the election.

Nerevar

Tortfeasor said:

so ... you're saying only the federal government can infringe upon your right to free speech? ....

Are you serious?

Nerevar

RaymondCarver said:
Some people just don't understand the workings of businesses. I can't make a blanket statement covering my whole ethos, but for the most part, the liberals I meet and have encountered in the business world don't seem to understand how business and the politics of the workplace function. There is not much room for being sensative and expressing one's self.

Ok, so does "understanding the business world" include understanding how it's beneficial to both cut taxes and increase spending, resulting in the largest federal defecit in the history of the US and the greatest amount of government spending per-household since World War 2? Oh, I must've missed that in my economics courses.

At least Kerry demonstrates how he's going to pay for his spending, Bush (and, consequently, the entire Republican party) has put us in the worst financial situation this country has ever faced. Bravo Republicans, I'm glad you "understand the business world"

xsarien

daedsiluap
RaymondCarver said:
In government-based and supported businesses, certain things must be kept out of the workplace: politics, religion, etc.

And if you read the article, you'd see that the boss apparently had no problem with politics in the workplace, so long as said politics was strong Bush's massive...ego.

Let's be clear on one thing about U.S. employment law: This guy just got himself into a world of hurt for firing this woman for no substantial reason.

Tortfeasor

Nerevar said:
so ... you're saying only the federal government can infringe upon your right to free speech? ....

Are you serious?

No... What I am telling you is that the bill of right was made to protect you from the fedreal gov't (tyranny) and because of the 14th amendment, your speech (and other rights) are protected by the state.

In situations that are not touched by the state or fed gov't (such as in private business) you do not have the same protections. That is one of the reasons why you can be fired for telling your boss to "Go f*** himself" for example. Also, it is why some businesses have policies that prohibit somone from political campaigning at work. That is also why offices can dictate things such as a dress code or other such things that the gov't can never do.

Tortfeasor said:

Just so I got that right-- you think that he was not only legally justified, but you agree with it? I'm not 100% sure of the legality question, but I think it's over the line. And as for morally speaking-- I hope you think it's as wrong as I do. I could just hear the uproar over this if it were the other way around. The conservative smear crews would have this all over talk radio.

Phoenix

Well people there are a coiple of things here. If you are an 'at-will' employee, your employer can fire you at ANY time for ANY reason that doesn't amount to discrimination. Further, companies under 100 employees have different rules that those with more employees so you will find it difficult to bring any time of discriminatory suit against the company and win. While it is in horrible horrible taste, an employer is within their right to fire their employees whenever they want unless they are under some contract that guarantees them employment.

Of all of things protected by anti-discrimination laws - political affiliation is NOT one of them.

Employment Discrimination laws seek to prevent discrimination based on race, sex, religion, national origin, physical disability, and age by employers. There is also a growing body of law preventing or occasionally justifying employment discrimination based on sexual orientation. Discriminatory practices include bias in hiring, promotion, job assignment, termination, compensation, and various types of harassment. The main body of employment discrimination laws is composed of federal and state statutes. The United States Constitution and some state constitutions provide additional protection where the employer is a governmental body or the government has taken significant steps to foster the discriminatory practice of the employer.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Phoenix said:
Well people there are a coiple of things here. If you are an 'at-will' employee, your employer can fire you at ANY time for ANY reason that doesn't amount to discrimination. Further, companies under 100 employees have different rules that those with more employees so you will find it difficult to bring any time of discriminatory suit against the company and win. While it is in horrible horrible taste, an employer is within their right to fire their employees whenever they want unless they are under some contract that guarantees them employment.

Of all of things protected by anti-discrimination laws - political affiliation is NOT one of them.

Any decent lawyer can extend the "discrimination" statute to also include political affiliation.

Tortfeasor

xsarien said:
Let's be clear on one thing about U.S. employment law: This guy just got himself into a world of hurt for firing this woman for no substantial reason.

No. Not true. You can be fired for NO REASON in the US if you are an "at-will" employee. As your boss I can wake up and fire you because I just happend to pick your name out of a hat, no other reason. No warning... No nothing. It is all legal.

I agree that is sucks, but it is the law.

Tortfeasor

Ignatz Mouse said:
Just so I got that right-- you think that he was not only legally justified, but you agree with it? I'm not 100% sure of the legality question, but I think it's over the line. And as for morally speaking-- I hope you think it's as wrong as I do. I could just hear the uproar over this if it were the other way around. The conservative smear crews would have this all over talk radio.

I am only talking about legal justification. From a moral or human standpoint I think she got a really raw deal. I really empathize for what she is going through and in the same situation might have done the same as her.

Phoenix

xsarien said:
Any decent lawyer can extend the "discrimination" statute to also include political affiliation.

Apparently not a lot of good lawyers back during the 'communist witch hunts' when many people lost their livelyhood for being communists.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Tortfeasor said:
No. Not true. You can be fired for NO REASON in the US if you are an "at-will" employee. As your boss I can wake up and fire you because I just happend to pick your name out of a hat, no other reason. No warning... No nothing. It is all legal.

I agree that is sucks, but it is the law.

Not entirely true:
http://www.expertlaw.com/library/pubarticles/Employment/at_will.html

Even At-Will employees have a certain level of rights. Employers aren't shielded from firing people for "no reason."

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Phoenix said:
Apparently not a lot of good lawyers back during the 'communist witch hunts' when many people lost their livelyhood for being communists.

Well, if you were helping Commies you obviously WERE a Commie yourself.

Phoenix

xsarien said:
Not entirely true:

Even At-Will employees have a certain level of rights. Employers aren't shielded from firing people for "no reason."

None of those reasons appear to apply in this case and many employers review their employees specifically to have ammunition to fire them at a later date of their chosing. In the private sector it is pretty much a given that unless your employer is about to violate some law in firing you (rare these days) they can fire you 'without cause' pretty easily. It is then left up to the employee and their (likely) ACLU representation to be able to build some form of discrimination lawsuit. I've been studying law (not employment law specifically) for some time now and one thing is certain - as an employee you have a VERY difficult time showing that your employer dismissed you wrongfully. If you take a look at the ACLU website, they list a lot of proposed solutions and remedies for wrongful discharge, but if you think ANY of that stuff will get passed - you're smoking some good Jamaican stuff mon.

Tortfeasor

xsarien said:
Not entirely true:

I think the quote goes "However, even "at will" employees are entitled to certain legal protections against wrongful termination, and cannot be fired for reasons that violate the law or public policy."

Further it says "Within this context, it should be noted that employers of at-will employees may end their employment for reasons that are arbitrary, provided they don't run afoul of the law"

Which article were you reading?

Phoenix

DarthWoo said:
Well, if you were helping Commies you obviously WERE a Commie yourself.

Not quite. You can be disbarred as a defender if you are appointed to defend someone and refuse (laws in your state may vary).

darscot

LOL, this thread is a classic. I'm not sure how anyone could believe this was in any way right or ok to fire someone for this reason. Yet people actualyl argue that it's legal. Man I'll never understand the US.

Phoenix

darscot said:
LOL, this thread is a classic. I'm not sure how anyone could believe this was in any way right or ok to fire someone for this reason. Yet people actualyl argue that it's legal. Man I'll never understand the US.

One day you'll learn that what's right and what's legal aren't always the same and its important to know those differences before walking into your bosses office assuming that they can't do anything to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom